When carrying out home repairs, most people purchase wallpaper for wall decoration. Today they are very popular among buyers of finishing materials, as before, but not everyone knows how to properly glue them on their own.
It is important to know how to properly design and combine wallpaper, as well as what rules and methods to use in this case.
Features of the
Wallpapering is a process that requires careful preparation. So, the surfaces for gluing must be absolutely flat and smooth. Old coatings must be completely disposed of. In addition, it is necessary to decide on the choice of the most suitable wallpaper and select the highest quality and most beautiful cover design.
Before gluing, be sure to do some preparatory work. So, you need to turn off the electricity and remove all covers for switches and sockets. When gluing, you also need to get rid of all the skirting boards. Thus, you can significantly facilitate your work.
The easiest way is to paste over the walls yourself with paper or non-woven wallpaper, but it is best to choose models of medium density. They will adhere well to the walls and will take less time to glue.
All wallpapers are glued only longitudinally, in no case horizontally. Wallpaper is first of all glued on completely free walls, and only then individual pieces are cut out and adjusted to fit windows, doors, walkways, radiators and other interior features. When gluing wallpaper, it is important to make all measurements of the room and you need to calculate the number of wallpaper. If you decide to glue colored wallpaper with drawings or combine coatings that are different in appearance, then you will need much more materials.
The stock must be left for the next docking. If you have chosen wallpaper for painting, then you can paint only after you have completely glued them on, and they have already completely dried out. Some features have the gluing of ready-made wallpaper with a special composition - this is a self-adhesive wallpaper. So, the rolls are soaked in water, and the glue thus dries up. After that, they are glued to the walls without the use of additional adhesives and only rolled out over the surface.
Types and characteristics
Before you buy wallpaper for subsequent wall decoration, you must first select it from the range presented. Manufacturers now offer a large number of different types of wallpaper, which differ in their quality characteristics and appearance.
When choosing, you should rely on the reliability and quality of the material, the conditions of use of the wallpaper, as well as on the room in which you plan to glue them.
These are the most common and famous wallpapers that are popular all over the world. They are quite thin and inexpensive. If you purchase this type of wallpaper, then later you can easily replace them with new paper ones. Moreover, this process will not cause any inconvenience.
Expensive and durable coatings are more difficult to remove, in addition, such an interior change will cost more financial costs. And if you replace paper wallpaper, then you will spend very little money and at the same time change the environment. Manufacturers present a wide range of colors and patterns on these coatings. The material is completely environmentally friendly and does not cause allergies. In addition, such wallpaper is good for air permeability and allows the walls to breathe.
But this coating has several disadvantages. So, they quickly lose color brightness when exposed to direct sunlight, quickly wear out. If you have small children or even pets at home, they will easily strip them off. Paper coatings must not be washed at all.
In addition, they deteriorate from exposure to high humidity. This applies primarily to simplex wallpapers. These are the thinnest single-layer models and are considered the cheapest of all options.
Double layer or duplex wallpaper
They are presented in the form of the main base layer, which fixes them well to the wall and the top decorative layer. Due to the presence of the base, the outer layer is not impregnated with glue, and stains and streaks do not remain on it. In addition, such models do not show through at all.
Many models have embossed patterns or embossing. They are thicker and more reliable, but also quite inexpensive. They are easier to glue than conventional paper ones.
They do not slide off the wall after being impregnated with glue and adhere well to the surface. Such wallpapers are also presented in the form of plain smooth coatings, which involve pasting the walls and their subsequent painting. The great advantage of this type of wallpaper is the ability to change colors multiple times. There is also paintable textured wallpaper with a pronounced relief.
They have paper in the form of a base, as well as non-woven fabric. But the big difference from classic paper wallpapers is that their surface is treated with polyvinyl chloride. They can also have three-dimensional patterns or they can be smooth.
This type of coatings has higher quality characteristics.
So, they do not fade from exposure to direct sunlight and tolerate high humidity. That is why they are glued even in the bathroom and in the kitchen. But such wallpaper does not allow air to pass through well, so the walls do not breathe and in such rooms it is necessary to systematically ventilate. But now manufacturers are presenting some models that have a porous structure. Thanks to this, the coating breathes and creates a comfortable microclimate in the room.
Vinyl wallpaper is a rather expensive covering. They serve for a very long time, up to 10 years. So, manufacturers present different models of vinyl wallpaper, among them models with a hard vinyl covering are very popular. They can even withstand many external influences of a mechanical nature.
Another model is smooth vinyl wallpaper, which does not have a hard flooring and therefore is more vulnerable to external influences. Silkscreen wallpaper is a popular vinyl wallpaper model that looks very presentable. Such products are produced using hot stamping technology, so the feeling is created that the wallpaper is made of natural silk threads.
Foamed vinyl wallpaper is the most reliable product that has a dense embossed structure. They are very durable and of high quality. Any vinyl wallpaper is rather capricious to be glued, since it is heavy. On the packaging, manufacturers always indicate what composition is needed in order to glue them well.
This type of wallpaper is very popular because it has a high-quality composition. They are made from cellulose. The coating itself includes two layers - non-woven and polymer.
They are more durable than conventional paper and even with duplex wallpaper. In addition, they can be used to hide wall defects such as cracks or irregularities.
Such wallpapers are much easier to glue, because if you use the right technology, then bubbles do not form under them, and the coating does not change its appearance. They are easier to dock than other models. They can be moved when gluing. In addition, you can choose absolutely any texture.
Such products are suitable for fastening to plaster, including "Rotband", cement, slabs, wooden walls.
In addition, when gluing, no glue is applied to the surface of the canvas itself. The canvases are used to cover the wall with pre-applied glue. Such wallpapers can also be easily coated with oil or acrylic paint, if you choose the most neutral option. Experts believe that it is the non-woven wallpaper that is the easiest to pick up and glue, so they are often purchased for self-decoration of the room.
Textile or fabric wallpaper
This option is based on textiles and paper. It consists of several layers. Textile materials are applied to the base. It can be linen, cotton or synthetics.
Depending on the quality of the textile material, the cost of this wall covering varies. They do an excellent job with their decorative function. In addition, the coatings have the qualities of sound insulation and thermal insulation, so they are perfect for gluing in any room.
But these coatings are quite difficult to apply to the wall on their own, not everyone will be able to glue it. In addition, it is quite difficult to care for them, if they get dirty, it will be problematic to wash the stains. They do not tolerate wet cleaning.
Fabric wallpaper brings coziness and comfort to the room. This is especially true for models made of silk, jute textiles, felt and velor. Such wallpaper can be maintained with a vacuum cleaner so that no dust remains between the fibers of the fabric.
These are quite reliable and unusual wallpapers, which are made using glass threads, which are subsequently impregnated with a special liquid. Due to this, the wall coverings have fire-fighting qualities. In addition, they are resistant to any, even mechanical damage. These are the most durable and reliable wallpapers that can last more than 25 years.
They are easy to care for and do not attract dust at all. The covering is natural and completely safe for human health, since the woven base is breathable. They look very presentable, but the price tag for them is clearly too high.
The liquid wallpaper
This is a new type of wallpaper that does not stick, it is applied like plaster. They are sold in powder form and then diluted. This solution is neatly distributed over the wall. When dry, it looks exactly like a regular classic wallpaper.
Manufacturers also present washable wallpapers that can be wet cleaned well.
These are new generation models that are perfect for gluing in the kitchen. Bamboo wallpapers are also popular now. This is a fairly dense eco-friendly coating that looks natural and natural. But such products are rather difficult to glue.
Manufacturers represent many other types of wallpaper: cork, palm, quartz, metallized. But gluing them on their own is quite difficult, not everyone can cope with such a job. By the type of decor, there are classic plain wallpaper with a smooth surface or coverings with a relief. Hot-stamped coatings are popular.
As for the sleek options, coatings such as fiberglass or photo wallpaper are quite popular. They are used for pasting one wall. Their main function is to create emphasis and attract attention. Such canvases are whole works of art in the form of paintings or abstract compositions.
When wallpapering, you will need some tools:
- In order to level the walls before gluing the wallpaper, it will be necessary to use a tape measure, a laser level, a long-haired roller, a smoothing brush, a spatula with a soft edge, a construction knife, a narrow metal spatula, a sponge, a container for glue, a pencil and, of course, a ladder- stepladder.
- For further work, you will need a special nozzle - a mixer, so that you can knead the putty. The mixer attachment fits into an electric drill, so this tool is also required.
- It is better to have several spatulas in the set, which differ in their thickness and shape. So, the most necessary will be straight, even products with a width of 5 to 50 cm. You will also need a classic corner spatula in order to be able to display the outer and inner corners. In another way, it is called a profile spatula.
- To grind the wall to smooth the surfaces before gluing, you will need a grater. It can be an abrasive mesh or emery cloth. In some cases, they even use natural leather.
- When gluing, you will definitely resort to using a building level. It comes in handy when leveling walls in order to control their ideal verticality and smooth surfaces.
- The roller is necessary in order to be able to apply a primer or putty to the walls.
It significantly speeds up the process of applying these materials.
- In addition to the container in which you will mix the solution and glue, you will need a bucket or bowl of water. In it, you will soak the tools in the process, so that later you can easily wash off building materials from them.
- In order to level the walls, you will need two types of putty: the first will act as a base, and the second will act as a finish. Your work will be facilitated by a ready-made putty composition. It can be purchased at any hardware store so as not to prepare it yourself.
- In addition, you will definitely need a primer. With its help, you can get rid of harmful microbes. To do this, it is better to use formulations with special additives against mold.
After you have chosen the wallpaper and prepared all the tools, you need to decide on the amount of this coating. When buying wallpaper that you will need for pasting one room, it is important to choose completely identical coatings. You need to pay attention to their SKU and release batch. Thus, all rolls will have the same shade and uniform staining.
Try to buy wallpaper with a marginso that they are enough for you to paste over all the walls completely. It is better that all vertical sections of the walls can be covered with whole sheets. Thus, the joints between the sheets will only be wide. Horizontal joints are unacceptable and look unpresentable.
- Before re-gluing the wallpaper, it is necessary to take out all the furniture and, preferably, dismantle the split system. You also need to completely remove the old coatings and start plastering the walls. Many people use soapy water to effectively remove old coatings. It allows you to soften it and remove it quickly. Wallpaper glue or PVA can be added to the soap solution. It will dissolve the old coating faster.
- But if you have previously glued moisture-resistant or washable wallpaper, then you must first cut them, then make notches, and only then apply soapy water. After you wet the surfaces with the old coating with this compound, you need to let it soak so that the wallpaper swells and after a while you can easily dismantle it.
The wallpaper is removed after a couple of hours with a spatula. But even in this way, not all of the old cover can be removed entirely. This procedure may need to be carried out several times
There is also a special solution that allows you to soften the old coating and quickly remove it in order to change it to a new one.
- Removing enamel or old paint is much more difficult. If the paint layer is thin, then it can be peeled off with a spatula, but when the paint is thick and old, then it is necessary to tap the surface with a hatchet and clean the walls with a flat cutter.
- Some prepare the walls by removing the whitewash from them. It must be washed off with warm soapy water and then removed with a spatula. If the whitewash is very thin, it can be easily washed off with hot water and a cloth.
- Having removed the old coating and having decided on the amount of wallpaper for gluing, it is necessary to competently prepare the surface of the walls for further repairs. At this stage, insulation can be carried out using penoplex or polystyrene foam. All defects must be hidden in advance. This way, you can avoid focusing on them. After all, not all wall coverings are able to close the flaws of the wall surfaces.
- Some wallpapers, even the most expensive ones, for example, fabric ones, can accentuate the imperfections of the walls, so the surface must be prepared most carefully. If you poorly prepare the walls, then it will be quite difficult for you to combine neighboring canvases, the joint lines will be uneven, and the corners at the end and beginning of the wall will be curved. The wallpaper will wrinkle and even tear.
- On irregularities and defects in the walls, bubbles often form from the wallpaper, which subsequently lead to peeling of the glued coating and damage to the entire repair of the walls as a whole. That is why it is important to initially prime the surface of the walls.
- If the material from which the wall is made is porous, then it will be highly susceptible to moisture. This means that without preliminary finishing, the wallpaper will not last even a year. They will peel off and deteriorate quickly. The primer is recommended to be made, regardless of what material the walls are made of.
- After the walls are completely cleaned, you need to align them. In some cases, old walls begin to crumble and crumble. If you are faced with this problem, then the manufacturers recommend using a bonding primer.
- If protrusions are found on the wall, then they must first be knocked down. Cracks are repaired with a special compound. But at the same time, it is better to first widen the cracks, then deepen and only then close.
Thus, you will fill each crack as much as possible with a repair compound and competently repair the surface of the walls.
- Expanded cracks must be cleaned of dust and old plaster. This can be done with a damp sponge. The widened crack must be completely primed. It is important to carefully process the entire inner part of such a defect, and then the outer side. After that, the primer must be well dried.
- Then you should use the first layer of putty - starting, which will act as a base. It needs to be applied to the places where the cracks were covered. After all the resulting patches are completely dry, you need to clean the walls with a trowel in order to level the surfaces.
- Things are a little more complicated with some coatings, which include, for example, drywall. The joints of the sheets must be glued with a special mesh, which is covered from above with a thick level of putty. After this layer is dried, you need to treat the walls with an antiseptic primer. This special composition improves the adhesion of finishing materials and wall surfaces. In addition, it will extend the life of the wallpaper.
- The primer-concrete contact is applied with a roller, but it is quite difficult for them to process the corners, they need to soak them as much as possible, since this is where mold gets in first. If you cannot reach the corners, then it is better to treat these areas with a brush. The primer must be allowed to dry a little. But if the coating has dried very quickly, then you need to apply at least two more layers of this solution.
After that, it is necessary to make a putty or use a ready-made, pre-purchased composition. The first preparatory layer will be a starting or leveling layer. It can be worn on almost any surface, including concrete, plastered walls, panels, OSB, plywood, plasterboard, fiberboard, laminated chipboard, OSB-plate. The starter coat must be applied to the walls using the widest trowel possible. It needs to be laid in a certain way
So, the thickness of the applied layer should be about 3 mm, in some places even thicker, but the entire wall should form a single flat plane. You need to move from the corner of the room with smooth and uniform movements.
It is better to hold the spatula at an angle of 45 °, as this will not show traces from it on the walls.
After the solution has been applied to all the walls, you need to illuminate the surface with the help of bulbs and carefully examine it: whether the flaws of the wall will cast a shadow. If the walls are even, then you will not need further leveling, but if irregularities are revealed, then you need to carefully level them with a spatula while the solution has not yet completely dried.
- After you have applied the putty, you need to wipe this surface. You can do this with your own hands using hard sandpaper or a grater, or using special electric grinding.
- After that it is necessary to apply a second layer of putty. He must completely hide all the irregularities of the wall. The top coat is usually much thinner than the base coat. After applying it, it is important to find out if there are any irregularities, while using light again.
- The finishing putty is applied in two layers, but each of them must be allowed to dry out. In addition, both outer layers must undergo a high-quality grout, and the last one is the most gentle. For her, it is better to use natural leather. After you have completely covered the walls with putty and let it dry, you need to apply a primer to it. Only after that it will be possible to proceed to wallpapering.
Pasting walls with your own hands is a fairly simple job if you choose the right coatings for this. With their help, you can simply and without problems independently glue the wallpaper evenly without subsequent plywood. Non-professionals need to follow a certain technology that allows you to quickly stick the coating on the walls. First you need to choose a pattern for gluing wallpaper. The canvases should be distributed over all walls in such a way that the joints are as invisible as possible.
Basic rules and recommendations:
When gluing any wallpaper, you must move from the window, which is located opposite the entrance to the room, alternately in different directions towards the door. Thus, if you glue the wallpaper with an overlap, the shadow from the sheets will be invisible
But if you glue the wallpaper end-to-end, as is most often done recently, then you can adhere to a different technology. This option involves pasting wallpaper from the corner that you see first when entering the room. From it in different directions you need to move alternately up to the door
Walls need to be pasted vertically with whole canvases without horizontal joints, only if this is not a special combination method.
If one-meter-long wallpaper fell on the corner of the room, then it is necessary to cut them in this place so that there are no bends. Because of them, the wallpaper can quickly peel off and begin to bubble. If you come across a rather old wallpaper with an edge, then first you need to cut it exactly, but now such models are rare. Therefore, you only need to cut the sheets. You need to know the height of the ceilings in order to measure the right amount of material
- The cut-off part of the wallpaper should be about 5-7 cm longer than the height from floor to ceiling. This allowance must be divided in two and leave part at the top and part at the bottom. It is important to mark a line in the center perpendicular to the edge so that you can cut the wallpaper straight. For this, it is better to use a corner or the method of bending the wallpaper. You need to cut the wallpaper with a very sharp knife or scissors; this must be done smoothly and evenly.
- After you have cut the roll into pieces, they must be stacked on top of each other in the sequence in which you will apply them to the walls. It is better to cut the wallpaper on each wall one by one, as it is glued, and not on the whole room at once. For narrow areas of the room where there are doors, the windows must be cut later. After all the smooth walls have been pasted over, you can proceed to the detailed finishing of these discontinuous sections of the walls.
- After you cut the wallpaper, you need to prepare the glue. To do this, you must follow the instructions that are indicated on the box with the composition. Many adhesive mixtures are diluted in water in the proportions indicated on the package. The water must be stirred periodically during falling asleep so that lumps do not form.
- Before sticking the wallpaper, make sure that there is no draft in the room, otherwise the coatings will move away from the walls due to the fact that the wallpaper has dried unevenly. After that, you need to draw a vertical line on the wall, which will help align the edges of the wallpaper from the corner. For this, it is better to use a laser level.
You need to mark two points and connect them with a ruler. But the line must be made thin and barely noticeable so that the pencil does not form streaks when it gets wet on the wall.
On each specific type of wallpaper, it is indicated what the glue should be applied to: on the canvas itself or on the wall. Most often, glue is applied only to paper wallpaper, but non-woven, vinyl wallpaper is glued to walls already covered with glue
But many craftsmen point out that it is better to apply glue both to wallpaper and to the wall.
You will use up more adhesive, but the coating will fix better and more reliably. It will also make it easier for you to align the sheets as the wallpaper will work well, but not slide too hard on the wall.
- Wallpaper canvases must be laid out on a flat, smooth and clean surface with the inner side up. You need to apply glue to it with a roller, without missing a millimeter. After that, one edge of the canvas must be slightly bent towards the center and grease the second edge, which should also be bent towards the center. In this form, the wallpaper must be left for impregnation.
- In some cases, you will have to wait from 5 to 10 minutes, during which time you can additionally apply glue to the wall. For this, you can use both a brush and a roller. After that, you can unfold the wallpaper and stick the canvas on the wall. It must be applied strictly according to the marks so that the joints are as even as possible. You need to apply wallpaper from top to bottom. The allowance must be level.
- The most important thing in this case is setting the right direction for the wallpaper. It is better not to open the lower edge of the wallpaper initially, since the covering can quickly adhere to the wall, when folded it will simply hang down. After you have glued the top and center of the wallpaper, you can unfold the bottom and glue.
- After you have attached the entire canvas, you need to smooth it from the center to all the edges, and then from top to bottom. If you just smoothed the wallpaper, then you still have the opportunity to check how evenly the canvas is located relative to the line you previously outlined. If deviations are noticeable, then you need to level the wallpaper a little by gently sliding it.
- After that, you can make the final fixation of the wallpaper. Then you need to attach the wallpaper to the wall as tightly as possible. To do this, you can use a special plastic spatula or wallpaper brush, as well as a pressure roller. In this case, it is necessary to move from top to bottom, the so-called herringbone.
This technology of movements involves smoothing from the center of the canvas to the side and slightly upwards alternately to the right and left. This will remove excess glue and air bubbles from underneath the wallpaper.
But you need to move very carefully so as not to damage the surface of the wallpaper, especially if they are embossed or have a beautiful texture. If after that there are glue residues, you need to remove them with a special sponge previously moistened with water. This item should always be kept close at hand.
If you don't remove excess old glue, the surface will not be flat.
When the alignment is complete, you can trim the top and bottom edges. It is better to do this after you have pasted all the wallpaper or after each canvas in turn. Some people recommend final ironing on the surface of the wallpaper using a wide rubber roller. Thus, the coating will be very even and will be firmly fixed on the wall
- After that, it is necessary to prepare the following canvases of wallpaper and begin to paste over the walls using the same technology. In this case, you need to make a start from the already evenly located edge of the previous wallpaper canvas. It must be placed as close as possible to the butt joint to the first wallpaper canvas. In this case, it is important to combine the pattern if the coating has patterns.
- It is important that there are no gaps between the canvases. It is better to coat the canvases at the joints with glue with a thin brush, and then roll this place with a narrow roller. The correct gluing technology assumes after every third wallpaper cloth to check the ideal verticality using a plumb line.
- After you glue the entire wall, reaching the corner, you need to divide the corner wallpaper sheet into 2 parts. Moreover, you need to measure the distance from the previous canvas to the corner line and add about a centimeter to the measured width. After each corner, it is necessary to measure again a perfectly flat vertical line so that you can push off from it when gluing the next canvases.
- In the corners, it is better to make a small overlap so that the canvases fit as well as possible to each other. At the outer corners, it is better to leave a margin of about 2 cm. This way the corner will be decorated more neatly. After you have glued all the solid walls, you need to go to the fragmentary wallpapering. Where the doors and windows are located, you need to start pasting from the top down, pre-selecting the size of the fragments and cutting them out of the canvases.
After gluing the wallpaper, it is necessary to allow the coating to dry. Some wallpaper options require a different gluing technology. So, glass wallpaper is glued a little differently. No glue is applied to them. They need to work well on all the walls
In this case, you need to choose an adhesive composition that is designed for heavy wallpaper. Glass fiber has an important feature: the outer side in rolls is hidden inside, so it is a little easier to glue them.
But such wallpapers dry out much longer, for this you need to wait a day.
Any gluing technology requires the use of some recommendations. So, you need to observe the temperature regime: the room should not be warmer than 25 degrees. It is better if the sun's rays do not enter the room when wallpapering. Drafts are also unacceptable, the wallpaper must dry evenly.
Working with a drawing
Wallpaper with a pattern is a very elegant covering, which is used even more often than plain models. Wallpaper in flowers, under tiles, under decorative stone or with abstract patterns are popular. But they are all glued with fitting and pattern matching. The wallpaper must be cut with a small allowance, and the second roll will need to be adjusted to the first, starting from the pattern on it in such a way that the joint is completely closed and no seams are visible.
From each roll, it is necessary to choose a pattern that will be as similar as possible to the ornament of the neighboring strip so that the joining is correct. But this will use up a lot of wallpaper, so you can use another fitting method.
Take two rolls of wallpaper. From the top of the first one you need to cut off about 40 cm. Then you need to take another roll, completely unwind it and cut off about 40 cm from the opposite end. This technology is due to the fact that when cutting wallpaper, machines in factories leave a small margin, which we, therefore, will remove during cutting. This makes the fit much easier.
Each roll is cut one at a time and the pattern will fit together effortlessly. This is a very simple and economical way, any person can cope with such gluing and docking, even if he acts alone, without outside help. The most difficult thing to work with a pattern is when gluing in the corners of rooms.
It is necessary to overlap, and you need to select the wallpaper not to the edge of the first roll, but to the part that will be located right in the corner. The easiest way is to glue meter-long wallpaper with a pattern, since the joining will not be so difficult. It is best to dock the wallpaper before gluing and lay it out on the floor in the desired sequence, so that then you can only glue them next to each other.
By itself, the technology of pasting wallpaper with a pattern is not so complicated, so it is only important to dock them correctly so that the pattern does not go astray, and the walls look more elegant and presentable.
Room decoration options
Different rooms need to be decorated in different ways. It is especially difficult to apply pasting when a built-in cabinet or kitchen unit is already installed. It is also quite difficult to glue wallpaper in the area of the doorway, especially if you have to decorate an arch with it. In addition, certain requirements are imposed on wallpaper located in different rooms:
For the living room it is better to purchase only high-quality and elegant wallpapers. It is better if these are coatings with beautiful patterns. In this case, horizontal combination is perfect, since this option looks very noble. In the living room, murals are often glued, which are placed on one of the walls. In this case, it is better to select the image, depending on the interior
The most popular are landscape wallpapers. But in modern styles, they use wallpaper with images of large cities-megalopolises and their attractions.
Neutral wallpaper with monograms is also often glued to the living room. It is easier to fit them together, since the pattern is constantly repeated. Besides, it looks more interesting. In the living room, wallpaper with vertical stripes is also often glued or the vertical combination method is used, as this allows the ceilings to be raised, making the living room more spacious and pompous.
Concerning bedrooms, then in this case it is better to use the highest quality and natural breathable wallpaper. In addition, they should have a not too flashy design. For the bedroom, ordinary paper wallpapers are most often purchased. But since they fade quickly, you need to try to choose a coating with a less catchy and dull pattern. Otherwise, you will have to constantly curtain the windows with blackout curtains
In the children's room gluing wallpaper with special unusual patterns. It can be wallpaper with images of cartoon characters or animals, birds, cars. For the children's room, paper or vinyl wallpapers are often bought, since they are natural and hypoallergenic. Paper wallpapers are ideal for a child's room because children often paint the walls. Thus, you will not be sorry to replace old coatings with new ones
For wall decoration in the office use wallpaper with a large pattern. It is better if they are as neutral and calm in design as possible
But if the office has a small area, then you need to purchase coatings with a small pattern.
For kitchen it is better to buy washable wallpaper, since you can wipe off any dirt from it, including greasy stains. But fabric wallpapers are completely unsuitable for this room, like paper ones. This is due to the fact that it is almost impossible to remove stains from them, they quickly become dirty and lose their original gloss. You can glue ordinary paper wallpaper on the balcony, but if it is not insulated, then it is better to purchase non-woven or vinyl materials
For bathroom and toilet it is better to choose washable wallpaper or a covering that is resistant to moisture. Thus, fungus will not form there, and you can not worry about the integrity of your walls
In some rooms, it may be difficult to paste wallpaper due to the fact that there is already a stretch ceiling in them. Initially, it is necessary to prepare it in such a way that it can be glued. First you need to remove the decorative insert, which is located at the junction between the ceiling and the wall.
After that, you need to glue all the edges of the stretch ceiling around the perimeter using masking tape. This will protect the already installed stretch ceiling from glue stains. After that, you can proceed to wallpapering using standard technology. When all the sheets are glued, you need to install a spatula to the edge of the wallpaper and cut off the excess part of the wallpaper. Then you should remove the masking tape and install the decorative insert back on the junction of the walls and wallpaper.
See the following video for the secrets of wallpapering near a stretch ceiling.
When combining wallpaper, many prefer the horizontal method, this is the most popular option. It is a so-called baseboard of wallpaper, but it is quite wide. Usually it is made darker than the light upper part and the size of the wallpaper is selected horizontally from a ratio of one to two. The top is always twice as large as the bottom.
In this case, you can combine not only wallpaper, but also this material with another, different methods and options are used when decorating walls. But this option has one important property: it allows you to make the ceiling in the hall higher.
Owners of premises with high ceilings can afford a different type of horizontal combination:
A narrow top can be made along the ceiling, but when gluing it is important to correctly align the top strip parallel to the floor so that the design of the room looks very harmonious. This method of gluing is perfect for decorating halls, dining rooms with high ceilings. With their help, you can slightly lower the ceilings and emphasize them
When combining horizontally, you can use two contrasting shades or one related to a dark color scheme, and the second to a light one.
Another option is to combine wallpaper with the same texture, but with a different pattern, and the background color must be the same. A good combination is to combine wallpaper with two different color schemes, but with the same overall texture. The vertical combination also looks stylish
It is an alternation of different wallpaper canvases in color and design. Moreover, in this way you can arrange both adjacent walls and one. The canvases should be combined one through one or two through two. It is better if the coatings you choose do not contrast too much with each other. Try to choose an alternation of monochromatic wallpapers with colored ones that have some kind of pattern or ornament.
- But if you want to decorate an apartment or house in a more stylish and fashionable way, then you can resort to vertical combination of wallpaper contrasting in color. So, a combination of wide red and white stripes is popular. If you chose the method of contrasting combinations, then the canvases should be wider, and if you chose a vertical combination of light and similar-colored wallpapers, then the stripes may be narrower.
- Another way to combine is to highlight the accent wall. You can highlight it with the help of photo wallpaper or bright ornamental coatings. But in this way you can paste over only one wall, preferably the shortest. At the same time, you need to glue plain light wallpaper on other walls.
Combining with ceilings is another interesting way. Thus, one wall covering completely fits onto the ceiling, while other walls and floor are distinguished by different colors of the coverings. Thus, you make a fashionable and unusual accent. So you can decorate the ceiling in the attic in an interesting way. It will become a striking continuation of the wall and the advantage of such an apartment layout
You can also combine wallpaper using the patchwork method. This is another interesting method that involves gluing small patches of wallpaper. Moreover, it is better to glue them end-to-end. To do this, choose about five different rolls of wallpaper, which differ in color and pattern, but have at least one common tone. They are glued, observing any theme
It is better to cut off pieces of wallpaper about 50 by 50 cm. Unusual wallpaper collages are made of them. In addition, this way you can use unnecessary leftover wallpaper from the previous repair and save money on buying a new roll.
Such an accent wall will look bright, it is better to arrange only one surface in this way, and make the rest monochromatic.
- Combination with inserts is another rather popular method now, which consists of pasting all walls in one tone, and then pasting a small piece of bright wallpaper over one wall. It is better if this piece has a bright and unusual pattern. Thus, wallpaper can even replace paintings. These pieces of wallpaper are pasted over with special frames or skirting boards that hide the borders and prevent the corners from being bent.
- The combination of wallpapers can be more complex and interesting. For this, the creation of silhouettes from wallpaper is used. Most often, the walls of the nursery are decorated in this way. Initially, basic wallpaper is pasted, and then figures of animals, birds or something else are cut out from other, brighter ones. These elements are glued over the first coat. Thus, a beautiful and unusual pattern on the wallpaper is obtained.
When wallpapering, a decorative method such as molding is often used. It is a decorative material in the form of a three-dimensional strip that is laid over the wallpaper. Usually the length of the plank is about 2 m, but its width and design most often differ. Moldings can be flat or voluminous.
Manufacturers also present interesting models that have a beautiful texture and decorative elements. They can be made from plastic, polyurethane and other materials. More popular are elastic moldings that are easy to install. Polarity is also used by PVC or gypsum moldings, as well as fashionable marble strips. They look very sophisticated and elegant.
With their help, walls covered with wallpaper are decorated in rooms with an interior in a classic style. The moldings are mounted on glue along all the walls on top of the wallpaper. In addition, they are often used to frame windows and doorways to visually expand them. For this, classic straight strips are most often used.
Ceiling or floor plinths are also used for decoration and wallpaper decoration. Such products are strips with a semicircular cross-section. They are most often used to hide the joint between wall and ceiling or between wall and floor.
Today, finishing with baguettes is popular. Such strips have an interesting and beautiful texture; they can be decorated with decorative elements in the form of flowers and even whole volumetric images.
It is now fashionable to paste over the walls with baguettes, especially in this way they often decorate the edge of the doors over the wallpaper at the entrance or the edge of the arches.
Decorations for wallpaper and walls now have the appearance of whole compositions. So, the strips can be whole finished arches, columns and stucco elements. They look very nice and elegant.
You can glue wallpaper at any time of the year, but there are some nuances:
Do not apply wallpaper in an unheated room. So, if in winter, when gluing, batteries in living quarters work strongly, then in this place the glue can quickly dry out, and the wallpaper will come off
To avoid this, you need to perform several actions:
- During work, you need to wet a rag in cold water and cover the batteries with it.
- As it dries, the rag will need to be wetted again and placed on the battery in such a way that the wallpaper can be glued. In addition, where the wallpaper comes into contact with the battery, it will be necessary to periodically spray it with water, so the wallpaper does not dry out or deform.
- The most important requirement is indoor humidity. The air humidity indicator should be no more than 60%. If this requirement is not met, then the glue from moisture will become less effective, and therefore the canvases may come off before they dry. In addition, bubbles may appear underneath. Avoid ventilation or air flow into the room. If the humidity in the room is constantly changing, then the wallpaper will dry out and stick unevenly.
- It is important to close the room after gluing and ensure a stable level of humidity and temperature. If you are gluing wallpaper in a living space, then the temperature for different types of glue should be different. But the optimal indicator is from plus 10 to plus 25 °. Higher or lower temperatures will negatively affect the quality of the adhesive, and the adhesive will also become ineffective. The required temperature level can be achieved by placing a heater in the middle of the room and controlling its operating mode.
- Maintaining the temperature regime in the room where you have just pasted the wallpaper is important not only on the day you are pasting, but also within 10 days after that. If you provide stable humidity and temperature during gluing and some time after that, then the coating will be as durable as possible.
- When drying, it is best to curtain the windows in case direct sunlight enters through them.
They can, by their directed action, dry the glue only in certain places, and thus the web can even partially wrinkle.
If you take these nuances into account, then gluing will not create unnecessary problems.
- Original wall decoration indoors with wallpaper is a very popular method in 2017. Now, many people choose colors when pasting, playing on the contrast of a dark and light shade. In this case, it is customary to paste over the wall with dark wallpaper, which is located opposite the window. This option involves simultaneously darkening the room and slightly lightening the dark wall. But if, on the contrary, you want to brighten the room, then it is better to glue lighter wallpaper in front of the window.
- Now it is also fashionable to highlight an accent wall, decorating it with wallpaper with a pattern. So, for example, pink trim can be diluted with a bright purple accent. This combination is perfect for a child's room or even a bedroom.
- 3D wallpapers are even more fashionable and modern. They can be a covering with a pattern in three-dimensional space, that is, the so-called panoramic wallpaper. They occupy three walls and can have a solid pattern. You can find examples of coatings in the form of entire mythological subjects or beautiful landscapes. In this case, one wall is pasted over with a neutral coating.
- When gluing, you can give preference to LED wallpaper. They have beautiful colored backlighting, the brightness and color of which you can change with the remote control. They are perfect for a nursery and will look very stylish and versatile.
- In some modern interiors, it is customary to use wallpaper that mimics other surfaces. So, for loft-style interiors, materials with a pattern for brickwork, paving stones or even decorative stone are used.
- The Provence or country style is characterized by the use of wallpapers that imitate stone or wood. For more classic interiors, plank-like or leather-like wallpaper is used. The use of plant motifs as a print on wallpaper is very popular. This wallpaper can be used to highlight one wall in the bedroom.
Large flowers are now very popular. Under them, you can pick up a blanket or decorative pillows and lay them out on the bed
Such an ensemble will look harmonious and elegant.
Sometimes they try to select wallpaper for curtains, but curtains are chosen only to match the color of one accent wall in order to emphasize the pattern or pattern and complete this combination
- Combined oriental and African-themed wallpapers are no less popular this year. At the same time, pasting with coatings with ethnic motives, exotic prints and even hieroglyphs is used. They are most often used to decorate one or two accent walls or use horizontal and vertical combinations.
- Today, gluing of two types of wallpaper is popular, which dock on two adjacent walls and at the same time have similar shades. It turns out that one, lighter wall smoothly flows into a darker one. This gradient looks fashionable and sophisticated.