Recently, people are increasingly moving to live outside the city. Someone spends only a certain period of time in summer cottages and garden plots. But all owners, as a rule, want comfort, privacy and protection from uninvited guests, so they enclose their lands with fences.
Among the materials for fencing, profiled sheet is especially popular, which is explained by its remarkable performance characteristics.
Features of the
Features of the design of a metal profile fence:
- The presence of support pillars.
- Mandatory tubular frame.
- Foundation: concreting of each support or tape.
- Frames for gates and wickets.
- Other fasteners, decorative materials and accessories.
The corrugated board is made of galvanized steel sheet. From above it is covered with a protective layer of agents such as plastisol, polyester or pural. External protection also serves as a decorative function.
The profiled plates resemble corrugated slate. Corrugation can be of different heights and different shapes, for example, in the form of a trapezoid or rectangle. The most common is the sinusoidal profile.
The corrugated board is easy to store, install and convenient for transportation, therefore it is widely used in various fields.
Where do they meet?
Most often, the metal profile is used for the construction of fences for suburban areas, industrial and construction areas.
In addition, corrugated sheets are used in construction for the manufacture of door canopies, awnings, wall cladding, and the construction of frame structures.
The universal material is in demand because it has a low cost and is unpretentious in maintenance and installation.
Advantages and disadvantages
The professional sheet among its advantages has the following properties and characteristics:
- Long service life - 15 to 30 years.
- The rigidity of the entire structure.
- Practicality, easy maintenance.
- Fire safety. The structure can be used as a fire barrier against the spread of fire.
- Average degree of sound insulation.
- All-weather resistance of the outer polymer layer, which protects against loss of color brightness, scratches, corrosion.
- Versatility that allows you to use a metal profile for the construction of any structures.
- Low cost due to uncomplicated production technology.
- Decorative, the ability to choose colors and shapes. Recently, manufacturers have been offering options with imitation of the structure of wood, stone, brick.
- Ease of installation. The metal profile makes it possible to install a fence at any time of the year.
Installation time is insignificant.
Variability. A fence made of profiled sheet can be supplied using different types of supports: concrete, brick, rubble, metal
Among the disadvantages are:
- Sailability. Therefore, experts do not recommend making the gaps between the supports too large.
- Low moisture resistance and unpresentable appearance for a low-class material.
- The thickness of the steel sheet is small, so it is easy to cut.
- The self-tapping screws used for fasteners are easy to unscrew. Therefore, it is better to take care of additional fastening of the structure with rivets.
For the construction of fences from a profiled sheet, not all of their types are used, but only some. As a rule, when choosing, you should focus on the brand. For its designation, the following codes have been introduced: Н - bearing, С - wall, НС - universal. The numbers following the letter indicate the height of the corrugated part and the width of the metal profile. Since the fence does not experience maximum loads, material with the letter "C" can be used for its construction. As for the height of the corrugation, 20 mm is enough for the fence.
For example, the following grades are suitable for fencing:
C8 is a profile sheet designed for wall cladding. The number 8 in the code means that the profile has a symmetrical wave with an amplitude of 8 mm. The material is lightweight, inexpensive, but not strong enough. Experts do not recommend using it for high fences, as well as making too long spans. Ideal for temporary fences
- C10 - the wall panel has a corrugation height of 10 mm, which improves strength compared to C8. The material is slightly more expensive than the previous one, but in terms of protective qualities and durability it is much better.
- C14 has a corrugation in the form of a trapezoid with a height of 14 mm. Suitable for frame fences in high wind areas. It is sometimes used for covering garage or industrial doors.
- C15 is a universal type of profiled sheet with a wide wave edge. It is rarely used for fences, mainly as cladding for roofs, facades and fences.
- С18, С20, С21 are the most durable grades in the line of wall sheets. They will be useful for the construction of any fences and roofs in harsh climates, as well as, if necessary, get a fence higher than 2.5 meters.
When choosing a material for the construction of fences, it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of the landscape, the climate of the area and the technical characteristics of the structure.
The profiled sheet is a complex structure consisting of several layers. Each of them performs its own function. And only with the high quality of each level can you get the most effective material for the fence.
The metal profile, which is used for the construction of a fence for many years, should consist of the following elements:
- Low alloy steel sheet base.
- Hot or cold galvanized on both sides.
- Anti-corrosion protective layer.
- Colored polymer.
Depending on the type of coating, several types of corrugated board are distinguished:
Galvanized. The sheet has a characteristic steel color. The thickness of the protective layer and the method of its application determine the anti-corrosion properties of the material. The presence of zinc on the surface is almost imperceptible, since there are up to 300 grams per 1 square meter of the profile. The minimum fence limit is 150 grams of zinc per 1 sq. flooring meter. Galvanized profiled sheets of two types are produced: double-sided and one-sided. Manufacturers guarantee a ten-year life of the material. Galvanizing prevents corrosion on the metal surface. Low cost is a positive argument for buying. Sometimes the zinc layer may be unevenly applied, which requires the shipment of such a product to a substandard condition. Most often, galvanized sheets are used as temporary fences in the construction of structures, fences of industrial sites or warehouses. For decorative purposes, it is not used due to its unpresentable appearance
- Aluzinc. The outer layer is a chemical composition of 45 percent zinc and 55 percent aluminum. By analogy with the first, it is used for industrial purposes. A fence made of aluzinc can be painted with any paints, but in this case it will become more expensive than a polymer one, which is unprofitable.
- Polymeric. A layer of polymer is applied to the galvanized profiled sheet. This combined option increases protective functions, improves moisture resistance and corrosion resistance. The service life is extended to 50 years. Since polymers can take on any color, their use leads to a variety of colors and textures.
The metal profile is classified depending on the type of protective layer.
- Polyester. Chemically inert agent is resistant to weather disasters, solvents and various contaminants. It has a glossy surface that can be easily cleaned even by rain. Experts recommend sheets with polyester protection for the construction of fences around private cottages.
- Plastoizol has a textured surface. It contains polyvinyl chloride and various kinds of plasticizers, which increases the material's resistance to mechanical and chemical influences.
- Pural - polyurethane-polyamide dye, which makes the surface matte and silky. A more expensive type of coating with increased resistance to any kind of impact. Due to its high cost, it is more often used for the construction of elite structures. Advantages: an increase in the service life of the corrugated board up to 50 years, a large temperature range, an increase in the durability of the galvanized sheet.
- Acrylic - ultraviolet and anti-chemical protection.
Considering all the information described above, fences are classified into several types.
Types of fences:
Solid light fences. As a rule, they are installed on a metal frame made of profiled pipes. For temporary use, the foundation is not made, the pillars are driven in or dug in. In areas with a windy climate, structures are not used, since they are ineffective. For other climatic zones, the base is concreted, pre-reinforcing the base. It is recommended to dig in the supports to a depth of 50 to 150 cm. For the frame, pipes 40x40 mm are used, for the frames of the wicket or gates - 80x100 mm. As sections - profiled sheet with a thickness of 0.5 to 0.7 mm
With brick supports. The fence can be made on two types of foundations: strip and columnar. In any case, the main load falls on the support pillars, and the rest of the concrete acts as a protection, preventing the impact of damp earth with corrugated board, the entry of small animals and other uninvited guests. In addition, the strip foundation prevents weeds from spreading from behind the fence
Brick columns are more solid than metal ones, have a presentable appearance and go well with a metal profile.
On a strip foundation. Experts consider it to be the most wind-resistant of the proposed options. In terms of cost, it is more expensive than others, but the end justifies the means. The foundation can be made by pouring concrete using reinforcement and formwork, or from reinforced concrete blocks. Support pillars can be different, but they must be installed before concreting and the base is poured with mortar. After that, the foundation and supports are revetted with decorative materials: natural stone, brick, porcelain stoneware
The height of the fences are:
- Standard up to 3 meters. The most common type of fencing.
- High fences up to 6 meters prevent the entry of vandals and protect the site from views. Typically used for industrial purposes.
- Over 6 meters. Fences of a similar height are installed along the autobahns as sound insulation. The internal multi-layer space of the panels consists of foam insulation or mineral wool.
The design of any fence implies the presence of supports. When building a fence from a profile, metal pipes are most often used, but sometimes other options are also used.
Depending on the location of the sheets, the fence can be vertical or horizontal. In the first case, the corrugated waves are located along the fence, parallel to the posts, in the second case, the profile is perpendicular to the supports.
An important part of the fence is the foundation, which determines the stability and reliability of the entire structure.
Depending on the arrangement, the fences are classified into the following types:
No foundation. The most economical option, since it has low time and cost costs. The piles are concreted, a frame from a pipe is welded to them, to which, in turn, the corrugated board is screwed with self-tapping screws
The metal profile can be attached in two ways:
- The supports are closed from the outside, and from the front side the fence looks solid.
- The sheets are installed between the support posts and can be seen.
On screw piles. Installation is more expensive than conventional supports, but installation is simpler and faster. The method is appropriate for unstable soil. The maximum pile height is 5 meters. Its cross section depends on the size of the spans. For example, if the length of the gaps is planned to be about 2-3 m, then the diameter will be 76 mm. The support must be screwed in below the freezing level of the ground. For installation, three people are enough, each of whom does his job. The first one should support the post in a strictly upright position. The other two use levers to screw the pile into the ground
The advantage of such support pillars is the ability to use them repeatedly.
With a foundation. Compared to the first option, it is more reliable and stable. A fence built by this method will last longer in soft swampy soils, and will also be appropriate if there are significant relief drops on the site
With foundation, brick supports and plinth. The most expensive of the above, however, the costs will justify themselves with a long service life and reliability. In this case, the foundation is first prepared, then the base is laid on it. Brick is used in the construction of support piles. For strength, steel pipes are laid inside the columns, as well as fasteners for the profiled sheet. Only after the completion of the preparatory work is the metal profile fixed
- Traditional. The sheet is galvanized on both sides. A protective polymer coating can only be on the front side. If a drawing is applied to the corrugated board, then a transparent layer is applied on top of it for fixing. The upper edge of the sheet is even.
- With imitation. Traditional corrugated board can be given different colors, for example, under the lining or rounded logs. Also in demand is a metal profile with a surface that imitates a brick wall or masonry.
- Figured. The difference from conventional flooring is the unusual shape of the top edge. Cutouts can be rectangular, pointed, or other shapes. The fence looks more decorative and elegant.
- Modular design fence is a fence assembled from ready-made sections, therefore it is sometimes called "sectional". Conveniently, the assembly of such a fence takes little time. As a rule, the module is sold partially assembled, that is, the deck is already attached to the posts.
Coloring of profiled sheets is universal: brown or green. However, it can be changed at the request of the customer, even multi-colored.
The color of the corrugated board is given by the polymer that covers the galvanized sheet. This dye does not fade in the sun and additionally protects the fence from mechanical stress. The palette is determined according to the German standard and is divided into several zones, each of which has its own four-digit code. This classification makes the choice much easier.
As a rule, manufacturers paint the sheet on one side, but there are always two-sided options available.
The dark color of the fence distracts attention from him, as if “hiding” from the eyes. Light visually expands the site, but is more easily soiled.
The dark green option is a win-win classic. Such a fence is in harmony with lawns, trees and shrubs.
A white fence is easy to repaint or paint in the future.
Fashionable modern colors of corrugated board under a tree or under a stone are widely used in suburban areas.
Before building a fence, first of all, you need to know the dimensions of the material, which will allow you to correctly calculate the quantity and optimize costs.
Since sheet metal is used for the production of metal profiles, the length can be of any length.
Her choice is due to the following criteria:
- Customer requirements.
- Fence height.
- The size of the canopies or walls of frame structures.
The width of the deck varies from 980 to 1850 mm and depends on the equipment on which it is produced. Any profile is obtained from steel sheet 125 cm wide, which is cold rolled. The size of the sheet is reduced due to the corrugated wave - the higher it is, the narrower the corrugated board comes out.
Due to the fact that during installation, the profiled sheets are fastened with an overlap, experts use the concept of "useful width". As a rule, it is less than the real one by 4-8 centimeters.
Thickness is a static value. The standard version is 0.5-0.8 mm, but there are also 1 mm and higher. When choosing, they are guided by the climate and the purpose of the structure. When choosing a profiled sheet for the fence, it should be understood that the strength of the structure will depend on the thickness of the material without taking into account the polymer coating. If the fence is to be operated in an area with a high wind load, then with a small thickness, the profiled sheet may deform or break at the attachment points.
The profiled sheet is also characterized by the height of the corrugated part, which depends on the shape and usually varies from 15 to 130 mm. For the construction of a fence, you should not use corrugated board with a corrugation height of more than 21 mm.
Knowledge of the overall dimensions of the material used and the perimeter of the fenced area is necessary for accurate calculations of the structure.
As a rule, they try to make fences for private houses, children's areas and parks in a color version and decorate with various decorative elements.
Decorating in the form of a polymer coating with imitation of a brick wall or masonry is in demand.
Manufacturers offer a wide variety of models for wood: eurolining, timber, rounded logs.
The combination of profiled sheets of different colors or different shapes of the corrugated surface, as well as the installation of supports from different types of materials will create an individual original image. Various protective visors and plugs can also serve as decorative elements.
The workshops accept individual orders that correspond to the architectural ideas of the designers. For example, forged decorations on plain gates and wickets, as well as above them in the form of arches and superstructures, will add elegance or add an element of antiquity.
Curly corrugated board with different options for trimming the top is the easiest way to decorate your fence. If you have the opportunity and skill of the owners, you can decorate a monochromatic metal profile with bright drawings or ornaments applied by airbrushing or with a regular brush.
Garden fences are often decorated with climbing plants: grapes, ivy, climbing roses. In addition, the perimeter fence can be furnished with flowerpots or planted with different types of shrubs.
If, when building a fence on a private site, provide shelves and protrusions on it, then in the future it can be decorated with pots with flowers, decorative elements, or used to store small garden tools.
There are more original ways to decorate fences using old utensils or hand-made techniques. For example, hang old baby buckets with flowers planted in them or stained glass windows from SD discs.
Which one is better to choose?
Knowing their technical and quality characteristics will help you choose the right material for the fence.
For a private house or cottage
Made of wood
A fence using a profiled sheet and wooden posts is the most ancient way of fencing your territory. This material is affordable, comfortable, environmentally friendly and durable enough. From an aesthetic point of view, it also has no flaws. There are many decorative elements from carving and burning, to staining and painting. However, it is worth noting the disadvantages, the main of which is low fire safety. Rapid decay of support posts and boards requires frequent replacement.
There are, of course, rocks that are waterproof and become stronger over time, but the material from them is expensive and not everyone can afford.
Brick fences with a profiled sheet look stylish and beautiful. The material allows you to build real works of art by the hands of masters. A fence is more functional than a wooden one, stronger, more reliable, more monumental. The design is not afraid of strong winds, it is fireproof. Among the shortcomings, it should be noted the fear of dampness, the presence of low-quality raw materials, a meager color range, an increase in costs due to the need to pay for the services of the styling masters.
Ideal for a Scandinavian, Finnish-style country house, in the form of a chalet or alpine classics. Usually such fences are not high and are decorative in nature. Designers recommend using certain types of stones for the construction of fences. Sandstone is a warm, cozy material, easy to work with and tactilely pleasant, but everything is spoiled by its ability to collapse under the influence of moisture. Basalt, granite or quartzite are very durable, but visually colder, so experts advise combining them with wooden elements. Natural stone is an expensive building material, so it is better to use artificial stone, which is not inferior in decorativeness, but wins in terms of operational properties.
Concrete blocks for a fence made of corrugated board are in demand for fencing large suburban areas, since they are quickly assembled and have a low cost. Modern manufacturers offer material of different textures and shapes, which increases its popularity.
Experts do not recommend plastic fences as protection for private grounds. The best application is the decor of front gardens and flower beds.
If the owner plans to install a fence at intervals, for example, with forged sections, but the visual insecurity is not satisfied, you should turn your eyes to a material such as polycarbonate. It is not suitable as an independent fence, but for solving visibility problems, in combination with other elements, it will decorate the fence and make it elegant.
Professionals warn that polycarbonate will not be able to withstand strong winds and hail.
From a picket fence
A metal picket fence is a corrugated board cut into separate strips. Therefore, the composition and production of pickets is similar to a profiled sheet. The height of the strips varies from 1.5 to 1.8 m. The installation method is standard: using support piles and transverse joists. In the presence of a strip foundation, strength and reliability will increase significantly. The profile of the picket is in the form of the letters P and M or semicircular. The second option has predominant rigidity due to the large number of ribs. When installed, the planks can be positioned both vertically and horizontally. The distance between them depends on the wishes of the owner.
When buying, experts recommend paying attention to the following factors:
- The pickets must be from the same batch.
- It is better to inspect the goods in person, since in one batch there may be strips of different thickness and quality.
- The edges should be seamed. Rolling increases the rigidity of the picket fence and eliminates the possibility of injury from the edges during assembly work.
- The number of protective layers. The more of them, the higher the quality of the material, but, accordingly, the more expensive.
- The number of stiffeners. With their increase, the resistance of the shtaketin to bending increases.
- Coloring method. There are one-sided and two-sided. In the first case, only the front side is painted.
- Staining method. Regular painting using a spray gun is available to any owner. The polymer coating is applied at the factory as specialized equipment is required. It is more reliable and, in addition to decorative functions, protects against mechanical stress. Powder spraying is a complex technology associated with baking metal coated with a layer of dry dye in special ovens.
With forging elements
Any fence will be decorated with forged elements. They add brutality and prestige. Spans made of this material are durable and safe. Cons: the fence does not protect from noise, dust and external views, has a high cost.
As a rule, forged elements are combined with other materials: brick, stone, porcelain stoneware.
A fence made of corrugated board in combination with other materials has recently been the most popular. Before installation, it is important to familiarize yourself with the technical characteristics of the corrugated board, which determine its strength and resistance to various influences. For example, the stiffness of the sheet depends on the height of the corrugation and is an important selection criterion in strong wind conditions. The height of the profile is determined by the brand of the corrugated board. Metal is a durable material, but it has the ability to rust. Therefore, the elements for the fence must be made of galvanized sheet, coated with a polymer for protection.
To install support pillars, it is better to use concrete for pouring or build a foundation. There are less troubles with profiled sheet than with wood or brick. It has a different color scheme, lends itself to coloring, is easy to maintain and install. The metal-profile fence performs the function of noise insulation.
To choose a professional sheet for the fence, it is best to use the advice of experts and take into account the reviews of the owners:
- First of all, you should pay attention to the appearance. Substandard can be seen with the naked eye.
- The front surface covered with paint or polymer should not have defects in the form of blisters, cracks, scratches. Otherwise, the material will quickly deteriorate during operation due to corrosion.
- The cutting points must be even, without chipping.
- The corrugation of sheets of the same brand is necessarily the same. When fixing the corrugated board with an overlap, the waves should fit into each other ideally. Otherwise, additional support pillars or cross members will have to be installed, which will affect the cost of the entire project.
- Responsible manufacturers cover the front side of the metal profile with a protective film to protect it during transportation and installation.
- The availability of guarantees and additional certificates, the provision of services for calculating costs and the amount of materials is an additional plus for the manufacturer.
For public buildings
For the fence of playgrounds, schools, hospitals and other socially significant places, different options are used. If you need a deaf fence, then most often they choose an iron one from corrugated board. He is able to both decorate and protect.
If you have additional funds, you can improve the appearance of the fence by using a picket fence.
It looks less monumental, but at the same time it performs protective functions.
How to calculate?
An important task at the initial stage is to determine the size of the fence itself, calculate its length and height. The builder must decide on the type of fencing material to be used, the number of supporting posts and crossbars. All conclusions must be consistent with the project, design and landscape capabilities. Before starting the installation of the fence, it is necessary to calculate the amount of materials, accessories and decorative parts, for which you may need a calculator.
The following factors affect the final cost:
- The cost of the metal profile. The price level depends on the brand, stiffness and quality of the metal.
- Coating type.
- Fence length.
- The method of installing support poles, as it is directly related to the cost of purchasing materials, renting a drill or paying for the work of hired workers.
- The number and type of support and intermediate posts, cross beams.
- The number of fittings, screws, hinges, locking structures.
- Number of decorative plugs.
- The number of entrance structures in the form of gates and gates. Difficulty factor for their installation, depending on the design and the closing mechanism.
- The cost of delivery of concrete, sand, crushed stone and other necessary materials.
As a bonus, some manufacturers offer their customers a calculation of the optimal amount of materials and accessories, as well as the cost of the entire project.
An example of calculating the number of sections and their sizes:
- Suppose that you need to fence a rectangular area measuring 20x15 meters. Let the width of the entrance gate be 250 centimeters, and the wicket - 150 cm. Then, in order to calculate the total length of the fence (DL), it is necessary to subtract the width of the entrance structures (B and K) from the size of the plot perimeter (P). DL = P - (B + K), where P = (20 m + 15 m) * 2 = 70 m, B = 2.5 m, K = 1.5 m. So DL = 70 - (2.5 + 1.5) = 66 m.
- As a rule, the length of the corrugated board is about 12 meters, which can cause inconvenience during transportation and installation. Therefore, the sheets are cut into smaller pieces. In this case, the number of segments included in one module is determined in advance.
Suppose that the wicket and the gate will be located side by side on the side equal to 20 m. Then the length of the fence in this interval will be 20 - (2.5 + 1.5) = 16 m
This means that there are enough three sections: two five-meter and one 6 meters.
- The opposite side of the site, respectively, will be divided into 4 sections of 5 meters each.
- On the other two sides of the rectangular section, the number of modules is calculated similarly to 15 m: 5 m = 3 sections.
- Thus, the total number of sections will be 2 + 4 + 3 +3 = 12 five-meter sections and one six-meter section.
An example of calculation of support piles:
- The number of supports is always 1 more than the number of sections. Formula: K = N + V. In our example, the number of modules is N = 13, which means that 14 support pillars will be needed.
- The length of the supports is also a calculated value. The upper part should be 5-7 centimeters higher than the profiled sheet, the bottom of the pile, as a rule, is 10 cm longer, plus another 80-120 cm for deepening into the ground. In the presence of a strip foundation, 40-50 cm is enough. Suppose the height of the fence is planned to be 2 meters. Then, subject to all conditions, the length of the column (DS) will be as follows:
When digging into the ground, DS = 200 + 15 + 120 = 335 cm.
With a strip foundation, DS = 200 + 15 + 50 = 265 cm.
An example of calculating the number of profiled sheets:
- The height of the fence depends on the length of the corrugated board. In the given example, it is equal to 2 meters, which means that a sheet of a standard size of 12 meters must be divided into 6 parts.
- Suppose that for the construction they chose the C21 brand with a width of 1 m. Then, for a five-meter section, 5 profiled sheets will be required, and for a six-meter section, respectively, six.
The total number of two-meter segments (KO) can be calculated using the formula:
KO = n1 * 5 + n2 * 6, where n1 is the number of sections 5 m long, n2 is the number of six-meter modules.
Thus, KO = 5 * 5 + 1 * 6 = 66 sections.
As a lag, metal pipes are used, which in length correspond to the dimensions of the fence modules. For a two-meter fence, cross-braces should be installed in two tiers. In this regard, the number of lags is easy to calculate, you need to double the number of fencing modules. In the example given, there are 13 sections, which means that 26 crossbars are needed.
For fencing a plot measuring 20x15 m, you need the following:
- 14 support piles.
- 26 transverse mounts (lag).
- 66 sheets of metal profile, 2 meters each.
Preparatory work includes inspection of the fenced area, its marking.
At this stage, it is important to take into account sanitary and household standards:
- The distance to residential buildings must be at least three meters.
- The gap to the outbuildings is from 1 m.
- To places of keeping livestock and poultry - at least 4 meters.
- The distance to trees, depending on the height, is 2-4 m, shrubs - 1 m.
Distance is measured from the wall or basement of the house.
Experts pay attention that other elements of buildings, such as a porch, a canopy or a bay window, protruding beyond the plane of the walls by an interval of less than half a meter, are not a reference point.
If necessary, cleaning is carried out at the border of the installation of the fence, large obstacles are eliminated.
Pegs are driven in along the entire perimeter of the fenced area with a string stretched over them as a "outline" for intermediate supports.
Support corner posts are also installed during the preparation phase. They, as a rule, mark the height of the soil.
At the same time, it is recommended to note the location of the wicket and gate.
Experts recommend, in the presence of large relief drops of up to 50 centimeters, to align such areas or provide for a stepped structure of the fence.
The next step is to prepare the indentations for the supports. The pits must have the same depth so that the metal-profile fence is even. Their width depends on the section of the supporting piles, as a rule, their size is small. Digging depressions with a shovel is not very convenient; it is better to use a drill for these purposes. With its help, holes are made in the ground for supports, the depth of which depends on the planned height of the fence and is at least 30% of it, according to the recommendations of technical specialists.
The installation of support pillars can be done in several ways, which differ in laboriousness and degree of reliability. The choice of method is sometimes determined by the type of soil or landscape features.
The installation method without a foundation is appropriate in the case of temporary use of the fence or good landscape conditions and soil properties.
Depending on the characteristics of the land on the site and the depth of groundwater, there are several methods for installing supports:
Burying or driving with a sledgehammer is the simplest and oldest method. It is used in the case of the version with round metal posts. In this case, their diameter should exceed 50 mm, and the size of the deepening should not be less than 125 cm. The method is advisable only in the presence of solid earth layers
Backfilling of pillars. Similarly, the first one is used for dense soils, but it is more laborious. Experts note the reliability and durability of the hammered-in supports
The installation process consists in pouring a "pillow" of sand on the bottom of the pit and then filling the column with a mixture of gravel and small stones, as well as their sequential compaction.
Partial or complete concreting is one of the most reliable ways to strengthen support structures, regardless of the characteristics of the soil. Its disadvantage in comparison with the above listed methods is its higher cost. Additional rods or plates are welded to the base of the metal post in advance as reinforcement. The deepening should be at least 125 centimeters, first a crushed stone-sand layer up to 10 cm is poured into it. It will protect the supports from freezing. A pillar is placed on the gravel “pillow”, after which the pit is filled with concrete. Construction can be continued only after the solution has completely solidified
The algorithm of actions for any method is the same:
- If metal pipes are used as supports, then caps are first welded to their ends. They provide protection and prevent moisture and earth from entering.
- First of all, pillars are installed at the corners of the fenced area and near the gate with a wicket. It is important to keep track of their verticality.
- Along the previously indicated fence line, intermediate supports are mounted in a similar way.
If the fence is planned to be used for a long time or the characteristics of the soil do not allow installing the fence in the above described way, the fence is mounted on a strip foundation. A similar method is typical for swampy areas or with soft loose soils and allows you to make the fence more stable and durable.
The construction of corrugated board is usually light, therefore, for its installation, it is enough to deepen 50 cm. To do this, they dig a trench with a depth of 60 to 80 centimeters and a width of 20-50 cm along the planned line. mixture. Professionals advise to pour it with water and tamp it well, then subsequently the soil will not pick up moisture from the concrete. Retaining formwork and waterproofing material are laid out throughout the trench. Reinforcement with a section of 10 mm is located inside the trench throughout the entire volume. It is fastened together by welding. The supports are installed in the prepared grooves and welded to the fittings. The entire foundation is poured with concrete. The formwork must be removed only after complete solidification.
In some cases, the pillars are additionally secured with self-tapping screws using plates.
Profile pipes are used as crossbars. The scheme of their mountings is horizontal. The optimum diameter is 20 to 40 mm. Lags are welded to intermediate and support structures.
There are three welding methods:
- The crossmembers are butt welded.
- On the sides of the support piles.
- The lags are fixed with a U-shaped holder, which was previously welded to the support.
For fastening, you can use not only welding, but also "crabs" - fastenings in the form of bolted joints.
All metal surfaces of the fencing that have been welded must be primed as anti-corrosion protection. At the same stage, it is better to paint the frame, since it will be more difficult to do this later.
It is possible to install metal-profile sheets without welding using self-tapping screws. To do this, holes are drilled in the transverse logs for fasteners, the distance between them must correspond to the step of the profile. Experts advise to overlap the profile to the transverse beams through the wave. It is important to remember that you need to fix the corrugated board in the center of the lower wave.
The installation of a wicket and a gate begins with the manufacture of a special frame. To prevent sagging and deformation of the sashes, an oblique strip is welded to each one, which connects the upper and lower frames at opposite edges. After fixing the structure on the hinges, it is sheathed with corrugated board. Sometimes the supports are connected with a wicket or with a gate to give rigidity with an additional lag.
If the installation work is completed, then the fence is decorated with decor. To do this, use forged or wooden elements, plastic plugs for screws or other connections, carved sides on the top of the fence.
At the same stage, painting or drawing a pattern on the surface of the profiled sheet is carried out.
Supports must be strictly vertical, which is checked using a plumb bob during installation. Otherwise, the entire structure can change its geometric parameters.
If the site has a slope, then when installing the fence on the foundation, it is recommended to provide a multi-level option. It must be borne in mind that the difference in heights must be the same.
Algorithm of actions:
- A trench is being dug with a depth of 50 centimeters and a length equal to the first level.
- At the end of the first level, it is deepened to the desired depth.
- Each subsequent level is lowered to the middle of the previous one.
When calculating the number of transverse lags, it is necessary to take into account the height of the fence.
Experts recommend placing the first and last beams 20-30 centimeters from the edge. For example, for a two-meter fence, two crossbars are enough.
When using wooden posts, it is better to treat them with an antiseptic. In the case of using other materials to strengthen the fence: bricks, tiles, concrete, mesh-netting, it is also necessary to provide for the possibility of increasing their operational life.
The distance between the supports should not exceed 3 meters to eliminate the "sail" effect. Support piles for the gate are chosen with a larger diameter than for the fence.
The service life of the fence made of profiled sheets is quite long, but this does not exclude periodic preventive maintenance and elimination of defects.
The main reasons for their appearance are as follows:
- The appearance of rust in places not covered with anti-corrosion agents or in the event of a violation of the protective layer. To eliminate the defect, the damaged area is cleaned with sandpaper, degreased with alcohol and covered with several layers of primer, and then painted. In the worst case, the entire sheet may need to be replaced.
- Destruction of support or intermediate pillars. Elimination depends on the nature of the defect and the type of material from which the supports are made. If there is serious damage, the poles are best replaced.
- Defects of transverse lags. If areas susceptible to corrosion are identified, it is necessary to treat them properly. If the connecting elements are broken, then they need to be changed.
- If the fence was built in violation of the technology, then the results will not be long in coming. We'll have to eliminate them as they are identified.
- After natural disasters, soil erosion under the fence may occur. As a temporary measure, it is sufficient to strengthen the fence with temporary supports, but in the future it is recommended to carry out major repairs.
- Twice a year, in spring and autumn, the corrugated board on the fence should be washed from accumulated dirt with soapy water.
- Household chemicals can be used for cleaning, but aggressive solvents such as acetone are not recommended.
To protect the supporting and intermediate pillars from moisture and corrosive phenomena, special bushings are attached to them from above. At the same time, they can perform decorative functions. Manufacturers offer a wide variety of types of similar decors.
They are beautiful, made of modern materials and perfectly cope with their protective function.
Designers use forged or wooden elements to add airiness to the massive structure. Carved sides on the top of the fence will create an original look.
The combination of different materials and textures also allows you to add notes of individuality and exclusivity to the appearance of the site.
A picket fence is a good option for durability and strength. By installing narrow plates, designers create stylish options.
You can make a fence original by using sheets of corrugated board and tin left from other construction, so you get a kind of metal patchwork.
Profiled sheet fences can be decorated with wrought iron elements.
Metal profile sections can be positioned both vertically and horizontally, which is also a design element.
In addition to playing with the shape and location of the sections, you can consider options with different types of support pillars: metal, brick, stone, concrete.
Manufacturers offer many models of flooring with imitation of various types of material, which allows you to decorate a fence at low cost, for example, with masonry or wood.
For information on how to make a fence out of corrugated board with your own hands, see the next video.