Many people are familiar with the unpleasant situation when a tap starts to leak in the bathroom. From this, plaque and yellow spots are formed on the plumbing. It becomes more difficult to tune the water in the shower. Its temperature changes arbitrarily from colder to hotter during the washing process. Such problems are a consequence of the wrong choice of the mixer.
To fix the situation once and for all, you need to purchase replacement plumbing, having previously studied the main criteria for choosing bath faucets.
Features of the
When we open the water in the bathroom, the first thing we do is adjust the temperature that is comfortable for the hands by mixing the streams. To make it warmer or colder, we turn the corresponding valves or lever in the desired direction. At this time, the mixer is running. A faucet is a plumbing fixture that regulates the flow of water. Its main task is to mix hot and cold water inside a special chamber to the desired temperature. An equally important function of a bathroom faucet is to change the direction of flow from the tap to the shower and vice versa.
In parallel with the first two tasks, the device is responsible for the pressure and the formation of the jet. From the mixer, the water flow enters the spout (spout) of the faucet or into the shower hose. The pressure in the system provides a stable jet without splashing in all directions. The last function is decorative. The whole system in the aggregate of elements is visible in the bathroom. This makes it an element of the interior.
The bath mixer differs from the mixer with a different purpose in the modified design of the spout and the presence of additional parts
- Short spout … The kitchen faucet has a variety of tasks: they wash food, hands, dishes, and draw water under it. For convenience, the spout should be high and curved so that objects and containers can easily be placed under it. And in the bathroom, the tap is needed only for washing hands and filling the hot tub, so it is shorter and smaller.
- Shower hose connection.
- Switch in the form of a button, lever or toggle switch … It is needed to redirect the flow of water into the shower head. Sometimes the switch is multifunctional. It redirects water in more than two ways.
The range of mixers is diverse, but most of them differ only in external parameters. There are several times fewer types of mixers as working mechanisms. All of them can be divided into several large groups: by purpose, by type of construction, by method of fastening, by material, by design.
There are faucets for kitchen and bathroom. There is highly specialized plumbing that is used in beauty salons and medical institutions. Kitchen faucets are designed to be installed above the sink. The specifics of the premises make special demands on the quality of the sanitary ware. Since the faucet in the kitchen is used regularly, the plumbing must be durable, reliable, and made of wear-resistant materials. In the kitchen, the hostess' hands are often busy or dirty, so the convenience of the mixer and the laconic design of external parts without elements that are difficult to clean are important.
Bathroom faucets are designed to be installed above the hot tub or above the sink. Structurally, they are more complex, but more expensive in terms of cost. Plumbing in the bathroom is also used regularly, and in addition, there is an additional factor that affects the rate of its wear. This is an increased level of humidity in the room.
Therefore, bathroom faucets must be made of moisture-resistant materials inside and out. Easy handling is also important in order to regulate the water temperature as quickly as possible.
The design possibilities of taps for the bathroom are wider than those for the kitchen.
Shower mixers are fundamentally different from faucet and combined. They have a complex device, wide possibilities and a high price. In addition to a hand shower with a flexible hose and replaceable nozzles, they are equipped with nozzles and different variations of the "tropical" overhead shower. They need a quality mixer that directs water to the desired element with a single turn of the knob. In more modern and expensive models - by pressing a button on the panel in the shower stall or control panel.
Bidet faucets are part of the bathroom fixtures for intimate hygiene. An intense pressure is not needed here, but it is important to accurately and quickly regulate the water temperature. The device is distinguished by smooth pressure control, the ability to change the direction of the jet from the spout in different directions, and the presence of an aerator. The function of the aerator is to spray water.
Often in the bathroom there is no room for a bidet and a toilet at the same time, so combined options are installed. They are also equipped with a mixer that smoothly regulates the temperature and water pressure.
Faucets for hairdresser sinks differ from faucets for kitchen or bathroom in that they are designed with a retractable flexible hose. Such a device will be convenient not only in a professional institution, but also at home.
Plumbing equipment in the basic configuration consists of:
- rubber gaskets of several types (in some progressive models, gaskets are absent);
- fittings - sealing rings, screws, plugs, fasteners, holders;
- crane axle boxes;
- cartridge (water is mixed in it): it is better to use ceramic, but it is possible from another material, ceramic will last longer, but it is more expensive and not suitable for regions with poor water, impurities and debris in the water damage the ceramics;
- elements of manual or electronic control - handles, handles, handwheels, valves, electronics;
- swivel element - gander;
- shower head switch;
- decorative items and accessories.
The principle of operation of mixers of different designs is the same. Cold water flows through one circuit of the pipes, hot water flows through the other, and they are mixed inside the cartridge. The proportion of warm and cold water, as well as the intensity of the pressure, can be adjusted manually or automatically.
Major design differences relate to the way the water supply is regulated. There are 5 types of designs: valve, single-lever (joystick), thermostat, non-contact, portion-push.
A representative of this type is a well-known faucet with two flywheels (lambs) for cold and hot water. With the help of these handwheels, the pressure and temperature of the water are regulated. The "lambs" are usually located on the sides of the mixer parallel to each other. The locking elements in the structure are crane axle boxes.
Valve devices are divided into two types: worm gear and with swivel plates. In the worm-gear type, in the old fashioned way, a stem and a rubber gasket are provided. They function as a plug, shutting off the water supply. To close the stem, you need to turn the handwheel counterclockwise several times and at the end fix its position by applying a little more effort.
Such models are relics of the Soviet past, but they still stand in many apartments and are on sale. Their cost is low - up to 1800-2000 rubles, so they are often purchased by renovated apartment developers. The equipment looks reliable and aesthetically pleasing, but it is cheap. It should be changed in a year.because it is a temporary type of plumbing. But the developers are silent about this, and the owners of new apartments discover that the crane box has loosened and leaks have appeared.
European worm-type mixers are more sophisticated. Their rod rotation is translational, not rotational. Therefore, it is not necessary to tighten the "lamb" with effort. Mixers with rotary ceramic plates are also called semi-rotary. The handles no longer need to be turned all the way to stop the flow of water. This is done in half turn, because instead of a rod with an elastic band, there is a plate with holes inside. When the "lambs" rotate, the plates begin to move. When they match with each other, water flows.
Advantages of valve mixers
- Affordable price … Temporary plumbing for 1-2 years costs up to 2,000 rubles, reliable and durable - up to 8,000.
- Repairability … A mixer for 6-8 thousand rubles will disturb only once every 5 or 10 years, when the time comes to change the gaskets.
- Cast body … There are no moving elements in it, which slightly extends the service life.
- Independence from other communication systems … If the electricity in the house is cut off, the water can still be used, which cannot be said about modern sensor or contactless plumbing, which is tied to electronics.
- Simple controls … The knobs turn easily, they have divisions, which mean a gradual increase in the proportion of cold or hot water and the force of pressure. Even a child can open the tap and set the desired temperature.
Thanks to these advantages, it is too early to poison valve mixers into scrap, as manufacturers of other types of plumbing are trying to do.
But they also have disadvantages:
- it is difficult to find spare parts for repair;
- the temperature of the water flow is not smoothly regulated;
- increased water consumption;
- cheap devices with rubber stoppers are short-lived, and expensive with ceramic plates.
A lever is a flat or streamlined plate that lifts and rotates within the design limits. The lift angle relative to the initial position of the lever is 60-65 degrees. The turning radius is 45-60 degrees. When the lever is lifted, the pressure of the water increases, while its rotation changes its temperature. These actions can be combined in one smooth motion by lifting the lever to the desired angle. Two generations of single-lever mixers can be found on the market.
First generation - cartridge mixers … This is a modification of valve models. In the construction of the mixer, the basis is a cartridge with perforated ceramic plates. In the lower part of the plates, the holes supply water, and in the upper part it mixes. When lifting and turning the lever, the holes are aligned with the mixing chamber and water flows to the spout. The movement of the lever is provided by a special silicone grease. Ceramic plates protect the filters from damage by abrasive particles. They are not always included in the basic configuration.
When choosing plumbing with ceramic elements, you must definitely find out if there are filters in the kit. If not, you need to purchase them separately. This will protect the device from quick breakdown.
Second generation - ball mixers … In such models, the basis is a ball with holes - one for cold water, the second for hot water, and the third for mixed water. There is a mixing container inside the ball. The control stem and rubber seals help power the unit and control the flow rate. This design breaks down less often than cartridges.
Advantages of lever mixers:
- easy and convenient control;
- the ability to regulate the water temperature with an accuracy of a degree;
- the flow temperature changes instantly, but the switching is smooth;
- long service life (8-10 years) and 2 years warranty;
- aesthetic appearance.
- 10 years - the service life of the case, not internal parts; replacement of ceramic and rubber parts may be needed much earlier;
- cheap single-lever models are difficult to operate, and a high-quality product costs an order of magnitude more than a valve mixer;
- for the repair you need the help of a specialist.
This "smart" plumbing device is capable of memorizing the temperature of the water. Its internal mechanism is more complex than the models with levers and handles. It provides fast and comfortable water changeover. In this case, you do not need to rotate and twist the handle in an attempt to catch the desired temperature and flow rate. The device automatically adjusts it in accordance with the frequently used mode.
Regulatory elements are different. For adherents of classics there are valves, for lovers of new technologies - touch displays.
Advantages of thermostatic mixers:
- safe use;
- quickly and conveniently turn on the water at the right temperature;
- economical water consumption;
- resistant to pressure fluctuations inside the DHW system;
- modern stylish design;
- reliability and long service life.
Thermostatically controlled faucets are actively popularized and advertised as the best equipment. But they also have serious drawbacks.
- You still have to adjust the water. For one family member, one temperature will be comfortable, for another, another. The thermostat will not switch it on by itself.
- The thermostat maintains temperature balance. If the temperature of the hot water has changed, it will adjust the percentage of cold water to meet the set parameters. But if the hot water is turned off, then you won't get cold water from it. It will block both threads.
- The cost of the equipment is many times higher than the mechanical models.
- Most models require a mains connection or run on batteries. This increases the cost of maintaining equipment.
- Complex and expensive renovation.
Sensor and static mixer - two models that provide water supply without physically affecting the device. They differ from mechanical mixers by the absence of valves and levers. An infrared sensor is built into the body. He reacts to movement if you bring your hand to the ebb. Sensor range - about 30 cm … In addition to the sensor, there is a small lever on the body. His can be used for mechanical water supply … The flow temperature is regulated as accurately as possible. The device is capable of memorizing temperature conditions. A filter is included with the sensor mixer. It protects the sensitive elements of the system from hard water and impurities.
Also, the device is equipped with an electronic unit. The crane can operate on batteries and from the mains. The batteries last for 1-2 years with daily use.
Advantages of contactless faucets
- Economical water consumption.
- Practicality. Without mechanical impact on external parts of the structure, plumbing lasts much longer.
- Hygiene. The bathroom is humid and conducive to bacteria. With a touchless mixer, there are fewer items in it that need to be disinfected regularly.
- Safe use. Such a tap will never flood the neighbors, because they forgot to close it.
- Ease of use, especially if there are children in the house.
- Long service life and warranty from two years.
- Sleek, modern design.
- Not suitable when the water temperature needs to be changed frequently.
- It is difficult to draw water into the bathtub. You will have to constantly activate the motion sensor so that the jet is stable, or turn off the sensor.
- Complex installation.
- Additional power costs.
- High price.
- A qualified technician is needed for repairs.
The portion faucet got into the bathroom from washbasins and intercity trains. Its design is very convenient for economical use of water, therefore it is used not only in public places, but also at home. Instead of a valve or a lever, such a mixer has a button that must be pressed to pour water. A jet of stable pressure and temperature pours for 20-30 seconds, then you need to press the button again … For most models, the time can be increased, but not for long. The fact is that inside the case there is a small "cup" in which water accumulates. It is she who, after pressing the button, pours out of the gander. After the mechanism returns the button to its initial position, the water supply is replenished.
Push models with a shower head are arranged in a similar way, but they have a greater supply of liquid.
The water temperature is regulated manually, using the control knob or in automatic mode. Budget models operate on mechanical control, expensive ones - on electronic, but it is possible to transfer them to mechanical control.
Pros of portion mixers:
- water is turned on by simply pressing a button;
- economical consumption;
- modern design.
- over time, the buttons begin to sink;
- expensive device;
- it is inconvenient to collect a bath or water in a large container.
Spout length and type
The spout is a functional outer part of the structure. Its size, shape, length and height ensure the convenient operation of plumbing if it is correctly selected for a specific area of use. According to where the crane is planned to be installed, two types of mixers can be distinguished. In both types, the shape of the spout is thought out taking into account the peculiarities of the functional area.
The first type is suitable for the kitchen. The second type is for the bathroom. It is of the following types.
With shower head and switch… A classic combination for a room in which sanitary ware is installed at a short distance from each other. In this case, the gander is quite tall and long, on a hinge. It is complemented by a flexible and long shower hose with a nozzle
- With spout without shower head … In apartments with a non-standard layout or a large bathroom, it is inconvenient to install a combination model with a switch. Some people just don't need a shower head. For such cases, there are various options for taps without a shower. They are valve and joystick, less often - contactless and push. The shape and size of the gander is absolutely any. They depend on the location of the plumbing device. This can be a horizontal wall crane with a gander no more than 20 cm in length or a floor model with a height of more than 90 cm.
- With shower head without gander … In a small bathroom, in order to save space, a shower cabin is often installed. It has a mixer with a hose and a massage attachment, but the gander in the design is definitely superfluous. In such a model, a switch may be provided. It is needed to redirect the flow from the watering can to the nozzles in the ceiling or on the walls of the cabin and vice versa.
- With hygienic shower … A variation on the theme of combined devices. A hygienic shower is usually installed next to a bidet or toilet. The gander is small or shortened, at a minimum height from the shell. There is a switch for supplying water to a small hygienic hand.
- With thermostat … Usually these are cast models of small length and width. More often a laconic straight form than a curly one. Most models with a thermostat do not have a switch for the shower head, because it is designed for minimal effort and is controlled by just one valve. In addition, additional details increase the cost of the already expensive plumbing. Models with a thermostat are installed directly above the bath tub. They are cast, so you cannot redirect water to the sink.
- Swivel spout … Has a high and curved gander with a hinge. Relevant when one tap is needed for the sink and bathtub without a shower.
- Cast … One-piece model. It does not rotate or tilt, therefore it is installed over only one plumbing object.
- Vertical jet … Cranes with straight or curved jib of medium and large sizes. Designed for larger washbasins in large spaces.
- Oblique jet … These are shortened versions of cast nibs that direct the stream in the desired direction. Relevant for small bathrooms where there is little space for plumbing. They are so compact that they are usually installed over mini-sinks in utility rooms, kindergartens, public places in road cafes, where bathrooms are extremely cramped.
- With retractable hose.
The dimensions and shape of the spout depend on the size of the bathroom, its content and design.
Where to install the mixer - will tell you its purpose.
They are usually mounted on the wide end of the sink, on the wall or on the countertop. The location of the faucet on the sink is convenient when it is built into the bathroom furniture or mounted on the wall. You can choose plumbing fixtures with any design - short or long, high or low gooseneck with a classic or original shape.
Any model will work for washbasins as long as the tip of the spout does not protrude beyond the center of the spout. When the jet does not enter the drain, there is a lot of splashing in the room.
The mixer on the countertop is designed for sinks that are not built into the furniture and do not have sides for installing a tap. These sinks are usually bowl-shaped, thin-edged and countertop mounted. For the table, it is important to choose a faucet with a high gander so that it rises above the sides of the sink.
Wall mounting is a versatile option. It is suitable for built-in and countertop washbasins, for mounting a faucet with diverter and shower head between washbasin and bathtub, for mounting vertical spray models in spacious rooms and installing taps with inclined spray in a modest room.
There are two ways to install plumbing fixtures on the wall
- Traditionalwhen all the functional elements of the crane are in plain sight. It is suitable for spacious rooms and bathrooms with an original design, where the appearance of the mixer is important as an element of the furnishings.
- Concealed installation … With this arrangement, the fasteners, piping connections and the mixing chamber are located in a recess inside the wall. Only part of the spout and valves for controlling the system remain outside. That is, parts that, strictly speaking, are not a mixer.
Flush mounting requires a little more effort than conventional wiring, but a number of the advantages of such an arrangement justify it
- Convenient to use. With a flush-mounted installation, you can place system controls and water supply elements in different places. For example, the spout of the tap above the bathtub will be at the feet, above the drain hole, and the lever will be at hand. You can also fix the shower head at one height and the switch at another.
- Saves space in a small bathroom.
- Visually makes the space less congested.
- Maintains a stable water flow temperature. This applies to built-in models with a thermostat.
- Facilitates the cleaning process. It is always inconvenient to wash and polish the chrome-plated parts of the faucet. When only two elements of the entire structure are visible, the process is much faster.
- Provides maximum comfort. Built-in parts do not get in the way in a cramped shower stall, and protruding parts are not heated by hot water. For models with two valves, this is still a problem. On the side of the hot water supply, the body of the product heats up, and on the cold side, condensation forms due to this. In built-in models, temperature differences are controlled by a thermostat.
- Looks organically in the bathroom with any design.
In this case, 4 mounting methods are relevant: on the wall, on the bath body, on the floor, on a pedestal. The wall location is chosen when the bath is installed as close to the wall as possible. Installation can be traditional or built-in. Both options are equally convenient. Also, a mixer with a spout and a shower head is often located on the wall so that the distance to the sink and the font is the same. On the side of the bath, it is important to place cast mixers with a short spout. It should not be too large so as not to interfere with taking a bath.
There are two types of fixing the mixer to the side of the bath: on the end side and on the long side. End-to-end arrangement is practical. You can rotate the gander, the jet is directed to the drain hole, it is easy to reach the tap.
The faucet on the long side of the bath looks original, but there are a number of nuances that are important to consider when choosing such an option.
- You will have to reach the valve through the font. This is problematic if it is large.
- In the center of the bath, the jet will hit the sensitive areas of the body first. If the mixer does not have a thermostat and the temperature needs to be adjusted, there is a risk of unpleasant sensations.
- The long gander will constantly get in the way at hand.
Because of these features, the long side arrangement is an option for thermostatic mixers with a short spout. In other cases, the end one is preferable.
In small apartments, where square or semicircular corner baths are installed to save space, it is reasonable to place the mixer in the corner. As a rule, a square bathtub has corners wide enough, like shelves, and this is a convenient place for fixing a tap.
A mixer on the floor is a rarity. It is used only when the bathtub is located far from the wall and does not have wide rims on which the tap can be fixed. For this option, very high (about 100 cm) ganders with a stable body are needed. A pedestal mixer is also rare, since such a design solution requires a spacious room.
If we are talking about a shower head, then it is convenient to place it on the wall. And in the shower cabin, the optimal solution is hidden installation.
For a hygienic shower
The bidet faucet can be wall or floor mounted. If a toilet is used instead of a bidet - on the side of the toilet bowl.
With the modest dimensions of the bathroom, a hygienic shower is combined with a tap above the sink.
A mixer is usually called a set of plumbing elements for supplying and regulating water. It includes both the interior and the housing, which makes the mixer aesthetically pleasing and user-friendly. Internal elements are made of plastic, ceramic, rubber or silicone. There is no alternative to these materials. But the body comes in at least six variations.
Of these, you need to choose the most wear-resistant one, one that will not crack from high hydraulic pressure, and will not collapse in conditions of constant humidity. It can be the following materials.
Stainless steel… Unfortunately, this name does not mean that the metal does not corrode at all. It is just slower to rust and can be removed temporarily. The faucet will sparkle with a mirrored surface until it is scratched. The destruction of the metal will inevitably begin in these places. Steel cranes will not last longer than 5 years. It is important to purchase them as a temporary solution for a year or two. The minimum cost of the device allows it
- Brass … This copper alloy with added zinc and aluminum is considered the best material for contact with water. It never rusts, withstands hydraulic loads and mechanical damage, and due to spraying it looks beautiful. At the same time, high-quality brass faucets, which will last at least 8 years, are sold at a reasonable price.
- Bronze … Heavier and more durable than brass, despite the same alloy base in the form of copper. It also does not corrode, is not afraid of contact with water and is durable. The color of bronze is darker than that of brass, therefore, without coating, such a product is not suitable for all bathroom interiors. However, bronze plumbing is more expensive than brass.
- Silumin … It is impossible to use silumin products (an alloy of aluminum and silicon) on a permanent basis. These mixers are soft, fragile and short-lived. They collect sediment from hard water. They quickly break down and begin to leak within a year. Silumin mixers come in large quantities from China and are in demand due to their low cost. It is profitable to purchase them as temporary ones for an apartment (for 12-15 months) or for a dacha, where water is rarely used.
Ceramics… Ceramic plates have proven their effectiveness as internal parts of the device, but Russian consumers are not yet used to a ceramic case. This material is even better suited for contact with water than brass, but the water must be soft and free of impurities. And with mechanical damage, it cracks and chips. At the same time, the cost of one ceramic mixer is higher than for a dozen silumin ones
Plastic… This material is grossly underestimated in the plumbing market. They are used to bypassing it and perceived as something frivolous and unreliable in comparison with metal products. However, it will last longer than silumin and steel products. Plastic faucets do not rust, rust does not settle on them, they are not afraid of poor quality water. The plasticity of the material allows you to give it any shape, so there are many designer and unusual plastic products. Plastic is cheap, and with a protective coating it looks like an expensive bronze product
The disadvantages of plastic are its light weight and tendency to thermal expansion. It is important to consider this during installation in order to maintain a thermal gap.
In a bathroom, a plastic faucet will last about 5 years. In a bathhouse or sauna, where it is not used every day - about 8 years. In addition, this material does not heat up like steel, which reduces the risk of getting burned.
An integral part of the body is dusting. It protects the product from moisture and scratches and has an aesthetic appearance. Metals are used for spraying: chrome, bronze, copper, gold. Chromium is the cheapest, most modern and practical material. Bronze is durable but expensive and looks old-fashioned. Gold looks luxurious and protects the product reliably, but it is very expensive. Copper protects against rust, but may darken due to contact with water and chemicals.
Modern mixers have long ceased to be monofunctional. Besides the fact that they know how to mix water in the right proportions, they are equipped with additional functions.
The following types are presented on the market
- Heated water … A variety of models with a thermostat.
- With economy mode function … Basically, these are single-lever mixers on which a limiter is installed. If you raise the lever at an angle at which the water flow exceeds the economy mode (4-5 liters per minute), there will be a noticeable resistance. By releasing the lever, you can fix this position. But if it is important to quickly draw water into the bath, you can increase the angle of rise.
- With the function of limiting the minimum and maximum temperature … A type of thermostat popular with parents with small children.
- With aerator … A stream of air is supplied at the same time as the water. This flow is soft, even and comfortable.
- With foot valve … This is the lever on the faucet that opens the drain in the bathroom. If the water is too hot, you don't have to put your hand into it to open the drain.
- With water filter … The filter improves the quality of the water and prolongs the life of the plumbing by several years.
Accessories and components
The mixer is a prefabricated structure. For full functioning, it needs additional elements. Sometimes they are provided as standard, sometimes they need to be purchased separately. Not all components are necessary for the normal functioning of the faucet, but all of them make the plumbing work easier and more convenient.
In addition to the flywheels and spout, without which the mixer is generally useless, you may need:
- manual shower set;
- rain shower heads and side jets;
- replaceable shower heads;
- aerators for softening water with air;
- multi-way switches (for 2 or more water consumption objects);
- brackets and holders for a shower head;
- decorative caps for wall mixers;
- spare parts (liners, gaskets, crane axle boxes, flywheels, casing, adapters, fasteners);
- keys for aerator and cartridge repair;
- household chemicals for cleaning the mixer and the body and microfiber napkins.
If the use or repair of plumbing is complicated without components, then the accessories are needed only as an additional visual element.
These include colored tap lights, decorative handwheels and shower holders, designer spouts. Also, accessories in the form of towel holders, soap dispensers, soap dishes in the same style with the external parts of the mixer are often found. Such details are important if the interior is carefully thought out in the bathroom.
One of the most important functions of the bathroom is relaxation. And relaxing and having fun lying in a bubble bath is more pleasant when the interior is beautiful. Therefore, faucets and sanitary ware should be considered not only from the point of view of durability and convenience, but also as style-forming elements. Modern mixers are conventionally divided into two large categories: universal and design.
Versatile models are suitable for an unassuming interior … All of them are made from available materials and are chrome plated. The coating is silver in color and can be glossy (with a reflective surface) or matte. On rare occasions, the body and flywheels are white, black or gold rather than silver.
The only decorative element on the universal models is the designation of hot and cold water on the flywheels. It can be colored overlays, inlay, calligraphic inscriptions.
Universal mixers do not differ in the complex shape of the neck, handwheels or control lever. There are two popular options. The first one has smooth, streamlined lines and a round opening on the spout. The second is of a more geometric shape. The gander is not cylindrical, but faceted; spout square or rectangular.
Designer models are designed for an interior that is designed in a specific style..
For retro design, weighty brass mixers without a glossy finish, with two valves and a high gander with a round section are relevant. Also, brass and bronze mixers in their natural color are shown to interiors tending to old-fashioned and naturalness (Provence, country, ethnic). For lovers of the classic style, which is replete with rich materials and accessories, plumbing with gold plating is ideal. In this case, the shape of the faucet can be any, including the original cascade flat-shaped spout or solid cast models.
Fans of minimalism will prefer flush-mounted plumbing. Such faucets are distinguished by a modern look, a simple but non-trivial shape, a mirror finish, a minimum of details and a lack of decor. The chrome gloss blends well with glass, metal and monochromatic finishes in minimalist bathrooms. A separate category is cascade-type mixers made of glass and crystal, as well as models with a body imitating wood, ceramics, and stone.
Often, faucets in a particular style can be supported with a ready-made set of accessories from the same manufacturer.
The best bathroom faucets are plumbing fixtures from trusted manufacturers. The user rating for 2018 includes the following companies: Teka, Wasser Kraft, Oute, Hansa, Gessi, Ravak, Ganzer, Cezares, Zegor, Orange, Vitra, Calorie, Granfest, Timo, Florentina.
The plumbing fixtures of Italian, German, Czech, Russian, Turkish and Chinese manufacturers were checked at home. Long-term experience of use confirms that the mixers of these companies perfectly cope with hard water, do not rust, withstand operational loads on functional elements for two or more years. For many models, the warranty is 1.5-2 years. At this time, you can contact the service department for a free repair. Employees will pick up branded spare parts and restore the equipment to work.
With the products of leading companies, the bathroom is comfortable and stylish.
German products (Teka, Ganzer, Wasser Kraft, Hansa, Orange) are in the lead by the number of positive reviews. Among the advantages, users note a stainless brass case with a resistant coating and a laconic design, functional details and convenient operation. The narrow spout and hand showers provide good water flow with minimal consumption. The price of German sanitary ware is above average, so it is more profitable to purchase ready-made kits, rather than collect items from different collections.
Aesthetes give preference to Italian masters (Gessi, Cezares). This plumbing has a long service life (at least 5 years), during which it does not cause problems. It is easy to use and reliable. All parts are made of quality materials and coated with a protective coating. But the most important thing in it is stylish and modern design.
When purchasing Italian sanitary ware, it is important to consider that it requires careful maintenance. We need special microfiber napkins and gentle chemicals.
Practical owners choose quality products from the Czech Republic (Ravak) and Turkey (Vitra). Plumbing has served for many years, is convenient and easy to operate, looks aesthetically pleasing, but at the same time it is not overpriced because of the notorious German quality or Italian design secrets. You can even find ceramic taps from Turkish manufacturers at the price of brass ones. Analog spare parts are suitable for all plumbing fixtures.
Thrifty users buy Russian products (Gran Fest, Florentina) or Chinese sanitary ware (Oute, Zegor, replicas of the Finnish company Timo). The advantages of domestic sanitary ware are that it is made taking into account communal realities (hard water, pressure drops, meters), and you can always find original spare parts for it. The price for a ready-made set is at least twice as low as for European products with a similar quality. Chinese plumbing is receiving controversial and largely negative reviews.
It is important to bear in mind that cheap products made of silumin and plastic are mainly designed for temporary use (about a year). They cope with this task, and their quality corresponds to the price.
It's good to come to a store with a specific image of the desired product in your head and an idea of its technical capabilities. But this rarely happens. The mixer has to be changed once every ten years, and it is difficult to gain experience in this matter. In the store, throwing between ten models begins, and the choice may not fall on the best option.
Therefore, sometimes you can trust a consultant. As a rule, sellers recommend a medium-sized option that will work for most bathrooms. It is a single lever mixer with spout and shower, diverter, shower head holders. Its gander is on a hinge, so that it is convenient to turn it to the wall or sink, to collect water in containers of different volumes.
In addition, consultants recommend purchasing spout aerators and accessories for the care of plumbing fixtures.
But we all know that the task of the seller, even the most honest one, is to sell the goods. Therefore, it is worth listening to the experts of the disinterested party - plumbers.
They advise taking such a checklist with you to the store to check the plumbing
- The manufacturer has a good reputation. The original product is often branded to distinguish it from a fake.
- The body is made of brass or bronze, weighty and durable. In extreme cases, from "stainless steel".
- The cost of the product is from 4000 rubles and more. Only Chinese temporary huts will be cheaper.
- Cartridge switch mechanism for shower. The eccentric one loosens and leaks quickly, and the ball deviator is integral with the mixer body and cannot be repaired.
- Ceramic plates, not rubber gaskets.
- The presence of an aerator on the spout nozzle. This saves water consumption and ensures a good head.
- Threaded shower head so that it can be replaced with another head (for massage or good pressure) and / or different water modes.
- Enamel or chrome protective coating.
- Convenient spout: it can be turned against the wall so that it does not interfere with taking a bath, containers of different sizes are placed under it.
If at least 6 out of 9 points coincide, this is a good mixer that will serve for a long time and properly.
In the next video, you will find the secrets of choosing a bath faucet.