Furniture manufacturers have filled salons with a wide variety of cabinets, unique in their construction, design and functionality. Their assortment range is represented by several types that have one common purpose - the storage of personal belongings of their owner, but at the same time they are completely different from each other in terms of configuration, differ not only in shape and size, but also in the mechanism of movement of door elements. And each of these types has several more classifications.
On the one hand, such a variety is extremely positive, but at the same time creates additional difficulties in choosing. This article will help you navigate the wide range of this piece of furniture and figure out what types of cabinets can be purchased and what are the advantages of each product.
All types of cabinets can be divided into two main groups:
Hinged ones are a full-fledged body, which includes elements such as walls, bottom, roof and doors.
It can be placed in any part of the room, and if you want to change the layout or rearrange the furniture, the cabinet can easily move to the desired space.
The second group, in turn, is divided into case, built-in and radius structures. Sliding wardrobes are pieces of furniture built-in or partially built into the wall. Unlike whole products, they are more difficult to transport or not subject to transportation at all. The thing is that sliding wardrobes are most often an element of the room itself, the so-called wall wardrobe, because their partial components are the floor, walls and ceiling.
More recently, textile wardrobes have appeared on the furniture market, it is not yet possible to form them into a separate group, but nevertheless, this is a rather interesting device for storing things. Wardrobe-cover - this is what manufacturers call these designs. They are a soft aluminum body covered with fabric.
Wardrobes and wardrobes come in three forms:
The straight wardrobe is the classic and most common model. Straight models are equipped with a large number of shelves and even allow you to place several hanger bars.
But corner cabinets deserve more attention, as they are divided into several more subspecies:
- L-shaped models. The cabinet structure occupies a corner of a room and two adjacent walls. This is the standard type of corner cabinet.
- Diagonal models. They are also built into the corner of the room, but at the same time have the shape of a triangle, they occupy space ergonomically, providing the owners with a large storage area.
- Trapezoidal. Everything is by analogy - the cabinet has the shape of a trapezoid, refers to asymmetric structures, provides an additional storage system.
- Five-walled. The combined version of the corner cabinet is an L-shaped model, half of which can be either diagonal or trapezoidal. Both wardrobes and wardrobes can have such a geometric shape.
Radius-shaped constructions are an innovation in the furniture market, they are distinguished by their original design and at the same time retain all the functional features of sliding wardrobes. There are no dress radius models. Radial structures are also divided into several subspecies:
- Convex. The most advantageous location for a convex cabinet is a niche;
- Concave. This type of radial enclosures is most often case-based rather than built-in;
- Combined or wavy. They are a combination of convex and concave elements, visually resembles a wave;
- Round. They have a full-fledged radial circle shape, but are rarely found in living quarters due to the fact that they consume a large amount of space.
In addition to the supporting structure, door elements are included in the basic set of the cabinet front.
They are of several types:
- Roller shutters.
As a rule, the first type of door elements is most often found in garments. This door movement system has a simple and reliable device; it consists of hinges that are installed on the side walls of the cabinet and directly on the door leaves themselves.
Sliding door elements have a more complex sash movement system, this mechanism includes roller shutters, wheels and movement limiters. There are sliding doors with roller shutters exclusively in wardrobes and by the type of fastening of guides are of two types:
The first type of fastening is rarely used in cabinet-type wardrobes, more often in built-in models. The reason for this is that the main load of the door elements and the sliding system falls on the ceiling structure, which is extremely inconvenient in the presence of, for example, stretch or plasterboard ceilings, because additional strengthening of the ceiling will be required, otherwise it simply will not support the weight. In the case of built-in models, one way or another, installation work will have to be done.
Bottom-hung fasteners transfer the support points of the door sections to the floor structure, due to this, the system is considered more reliable and has a longer service life. Roller shutters are made of either aluminum or steel, the wheels, in turn, are made of plastic with a rubber coating, which ensures smooth and silent movement of the cabinet doors.
Products with folding doors are a hybrid of swing and sliding mechanisms. Otherwise, this system is called "accordion" due to the fact that the principle of movement of the flaps imitates the folding of the bellows of the accordion. The guide rails in sliding cabinets are fixed at the top, the door leaf leaves consist of several parts, each of which is fastened with a movable element.
Cabinet doors made in the form of roller shutters are a simple and democratic way to equip a sliding wardrobe, the roller shutter mechanism is very similar to blinds and operates on the same principle - the lamellas are securely fastened together and move along the guiding flaps. The advantage of such a "door" is that you can easily replace a broken element.
In addition to the four main types, there are also models of cabinets with lifting doors. Despite the ease of use and reliability, it is not often possible to find lifting mechanisms, because due to their complex design, these mechanisms are quite expensive, moreover, they can be used only in small modules of sliding wardrobes.
Features and characteristics
Let's consider in more detail the designs of all types of cabinets with their advantages and disadvantages.
So, wardrobes in their variety differ in such characteristics as structure dimensions, facade design, cost and functional accessory. Of course, modern wardrobes have pushed their predecessors a little, but nevertheless, they are still quite in demand among buyers.
A wardrobe consists of such elements as hinged doors, shelves and mezzanines for storing things, as well as a compartment with a crossbar in the form of a wooden stick or a pipe for hangers, where you can hang clothes.
This product gives its owners the opportunity to make the most efficient use of the living space due to the mobility of the structure, the ability to assemble and disassemble it, and also move it to another area. A wardrobe, unlike a wardrobe, provides maximum access to storage systems, of course, it cannot be fully considered a modular design, but at the same time it is still possible to remove and install some elements from the internal configuration of the product, adjusting the optimal height of the shelves.
A wide assortment range with its variety of facade design options and colors allows you to easily choose a product for any interior - from traditional classics to ultramodern styles.
The advantages of wardrobes with hinged doors are that they have:
- Wider variety of model range;
- Silent mechanism for opening door elements;
- Democratic cost;
- The service life reaches several decades.
The disadvantage of these systems is that additional space is required to open the sash, which is not always convenient to use.
Sliding wardrobes with a swing door system are rare. As you know, this type of product has basically two types of movement mechanism for the bundles:
- With sliding doors. Their advantage lies in simplicity and ease of use, it is also important that this door movement system saves space, since it does not require space to open doors, as in swing models. The service life of sliding structures reaches 10 years, which is much lower than that of swing mechanisms, so this fact can be attributed to disadvantages.
- Folding mechanisms for door leaf movement. They combine the advantages of sliding and swing systems. They take up less space than hinged ones, but at the same time, unlike sliding mechanisms, they give full access to the inner compartments of the cabinet.
The cabinet and built-in models of wardrobes also have their own characteristics and characteristics. So, the built-in structure does not have a full-fledged frame, its components are door folds. In some cases, a roof or floor is installed, for example, if there is a stretch ceiling or uneven floors in the apartment.
By the way, one of the most important advantages of built-in models is the ability to correct and hide geometric imperfections in rooms.
The cabinet components are fastened directly to the walls, floor and ceiling, therefore the installation of this type of structure always requires installation work. Built-in models cannot be transported, and the point is not that they cannot be dismantled, the reason for this is completely individual measurements, which makes the structure unique for one room where it was originally installed according to the project. For example, already on the second floor of the same house or just in other rooms, and even more so in apartments, the required geometry of the space, its width and length, the optimal ceiling height, etc. may not match.
The internal equipment of built-in models depends solely on the needs of the future owner, which makes them roomy and functional. Such cabinets are made only to order; it is hardly impossible to buy a finished product according to the required dimensions.
Cabinet models of sliding wardrobes, in turn, have a frame, although not always complete. These products gain advantages such as transportability, mobility and design versatility. Ready-made models of cabinet cabinets are much cheaper than custom-made products. It should be borne in mind that the cabinet models, although partially, are nevertheless attached to the walls, therefore the presence of drywall boxes on the wall structure may become a reason for refusing to buy a cabinet-type wardrobe.But at the same time, the absence of additional frame elements allows you to fully use the area available for storing things.
Regardless of the type of construction that the future owner of the wardrobe or wardrobe wishes to purchase, it is initially necessary to measure the room and that part of it where it is planned to install the product. It is important not only to calculate the width, length, height of the space and fix the useful area, but also to take into account the presence of switches, sockets, door and window openings and the doors themselves and window sashes, window sills, heating systems, etc.
Only after measuring the space, the dimensions of the structure are approximately determined, taking into account the baseboards, all kinds of gaps and irregularities. The cabinet can be either low on legs or fill the entire space from floor to ceiling. The next step is to determine the allowable depth of the product. According to the standard, it reaches 0.6 m, but it can be either larger or smaller.
Experts do not recommend purchasing and ordering products with a depth of less than 0.3 m, since such products become limited in configuration and unstable.
There are some optimal parameters that are not recommended to be violated.
Otherwise, the product may become potentially hazardous to use, for example:
- The width of the horizontal shelves should not exceed 1 m, otherwise they may bend, but it is not recommended to have a shelf width of less than 0.4 m for the same reason.
- The length of the hanger bar should on average be no more than 0.9 m, otherwise the bar will sag.
- If the width of the box for linen exceeds 0.6 meters, then the bottom must be made of chipboard plywood, not fiberboard, otherwise it may deform.
The presence of swing or folding doors in the structure also requires additional measurements, the same applies to sliding modules - for each detail, the user space must be taken into account.
Initially, it should be noted that finding a product of the desired color range is not a difficult task, the opportunity to order a structure according to individual parameters saves here, but it will be more difficult to decide on the desired color range and, most importantly, to choose it correctly.
Designers have developed three main aspects to consider when choosing cabinet colors.
Introperability of colors
In other words, a harmonious combination of colors and shades is introperability. It includes four basic concepts of color solutions in the interior design of a room, which are defined using the color wheel:
- Monochrome concept. The principle of monochrome color combination is to choose one color, either cold or warm colors. The interior, in turn, uses three of its variations: the main shade, lighter and darker. The front of the cabinet is most often done to match the walls or in light colors, and the body is dark, which visually reduces the dimensions of the structure.
- Combination concept based on the principle of similarity. In this case, the basis is the choice of one color, it is considered the main one, and the remaining two are from it on the color wheel at an angle of 15-25 degrees. It is important that the angle of inclination on the color wheel is the same for both the second and third colors.
- Contrasting combination. Two opposing colors are selected on the color wheel. To determine which color is opposite to the main one, you can draw a straight line from it, passing through the center of the circle. It is advisable to choose colors of calm tones so that the contrast is not too flashy and repulsive.
- Accentuation. This principle of combination, unlike the others, contains four colors for a combination, the first three are more often chosen according to the monochrome concept, and the fourth is chosen by him according to the principle of contrasting combination.
Combination with the interior
It is important to take into account that in addition to color solutions, textures, prints and all kinds of patterns can be present in the decor of the room; it is very rare to find a completely monochromatic design of the cabinet front or room decoration. It is necessary to adhere to several basic concepts of the combination, not forgetting about your own preferences and originality.
The most common concept is a combination of a cabinet front with wallpaper in uniform colors and textures. So, the product seems to be disguised and becomes less noticeable. This is beneficial for small areas, since the space is visually freed from the solid structure of the cabinet.
Another combination option, on the contrary, is focusing on the product, making it dominant in space. It looks very impressive if the cabinet has an unusual design or facade decor, but it should be borne in mind that this will lead to a visual loss of free space, which is unprofitable for small rooms.
In addition to finishing materials, it is possible and even necessary to combine the color and texture of the cabinet with the rest of the furniture. Most often, this is done through a unified design of the bodies of various interior items.
This factor is individual for each person, but its application in practice makes it possible to create a unique atmosphere and setting in the room, which has or encourages certain actions and moods.
Each color has its own psychological effect on a person's mood. But at the same time, we must not forget about individual and personal perception. Each person can associate colors with completely unexpected moods. It is also important to consider that each color in the interior has its own character:
- Red. A fairly aggressive color, practically not suitable for recreation areas, but the design of a personal account or a modern kitchen area is quite within the power of red shades. They will provide an energy boost for the whole day.
- Green. The main superpower of this color is relaxation. Green will help you relax and recharge with positive energy after a hard day.
- Blue. This color is associated with severity, but at the same time it has a calming power. So the design of cabinets in work areas and offices in blue is the best solution, it will help to tune in to work.
- Purple. Despite its spectacularity, this color is not recommended to be used as the main one, but purple is ideal for creating accents.
- White. The color of purity and tranquility, according to the psychological perception, it is considered neutral, but visually expands the space and creates an atmosphere of freedom.
- Grey. It is generally accepted to consider gray as a neutral color, it does not create moods, but due to its coldness it is able to calm down and, therefore, relax.
- The black. It is considered the leading color in terms of ambiguity of perception - for some it is a symbol of brevity and taste, while for others it causes a feeling of anxiety. In any case, it is easy to fit black into any interior, but designers do not recommend using it in large quantities.
Brown. Most cabinets in brown colors are made from natural wood species - luxury products, or from materials imitating wood. It is a warm and cozy color.
The woody classification of brown shades should be given special attention:
- Wenge. Dark woody shades, ideal for creating contrasting combinations.
- Oak. It can be from the lightest, slightly pinkish to rich dark shades. Luxurious color for both the front and the body of the product.
- Nut. It has a dark yellow shade of warm tones, a versatile enough color for any type of decor.
- Cherry. Cherry has the lightest and most delicate wood color, it fits perfectly into the interior of rooms for rest and sleep, for children.
- Beech. Like walnut, the color of beech wood can be considered universal, it varies in a light color range of shades.
Another interesting concept of color design is “seasons”, it basically contains four basic principles of combination, but the choice of shades and scales is selected taking into account the owner's favorite season:
- Summer. The main colors are blue and white, the interior is complemented by blue, green and beige tones.
- Autumn. Warm tones of red combined with blue, yellow, brown, black and gray shades.
- Winter. It is based on blue, red, brown and white colors of either cold or very warm colors.
- Spring. The basis is taken with juicy and lively shades of colors such as green, red, blue or blue, white or beige.
Of course, in this concept, all colors are approximate. The best solution would be to play associations and decorate the space in the colors that come to mind when thinking about a particular season.
Basically, for the manufacture of cabinets used materials such as:
- Chipboard - chipboard. One of the most affordable, but at the same time, high-quality materials. It is used for the manufacture of internal component parts of the product (dividers for shelves) and body elements;
- Chipboard, chipboard. Thanks to lamination, it becomes a reliable material with a long service life; it is used to make cabinet elements, shelves and facades.
- Fiberboard. Durable, lightweight material for the manufacture of back walls and drawer bottoms;
- Natural wood. It is used in the production of luxury-class models, natural material provides a guarantee of quality, durability and environmental friendliness of the product, but at the same time increases the cost of the cabinet;
- Rattan. Decorative material from tropical liana is used to decorate facades;
- Bamboo. It is decorative, like rattan;
- Lacobel or frosted glass. It has a variety of colors and is used to decorate facades.
Cabinet fittings are mainly made of metal, such as steel, chrome or aluminum, but there are plastic and wooden parts - handles, hinges, fasteners, furniture locks, rods, rotary mechanisms and holders. There are designs without handles - their doors open after pressing and are equipped with door closers.
Some people associate with the word "wardrobe" with a massive wardrobe, behind one of the doors of which there is a section for hangers, and behind the second - drawers and shelves. Yes, the models presented on the furniture market about three to four decades ago looked something like this, but the modern design and functional components have turned the wardrobe into an indispensable piece of furniture for a private house or apartment. Today, the internal components of the wardrobe are completed with an additional set, which includes drawers, horizontal shelves, rails, mezzanines, and sometimes modular elements.
If we talk about the section of the cabinet with a rod, then here the models can be presented in two different configurations. These are hanger bars, fixed in the end way. Most often, such structures are equipped with a pull-out element, they can be found in shallow structures or in cabinets, where the hanger section takes up little space and is quite narrow.Having opened the sash, the owner will see only one set of hangers with clothes, but by pushing the barbell he will have access to the rest of the wardrobe items. From the point of view of ergonomics and rational use of space, this is a very convenient option. The second option for placing the bar is longitudinal. This is a standard way of completing the hanger department, it allows you to accommodate the largest possible number of things, but it is important to know that the minimum depth of such a product should be at least 0.6 m.
The second section is intended for storing folded personal belongings and wardrobe items. In this part of the cabinet, in addition to shelves, drawers can be located. Most often, there are no more than 4 of them and they are relatively small in size and are designed to store underwear or other little things at the discretion of the owner. In terms of functionality, most wardrobe models are equipped with additional shelf mounts, this allows users to independently choose the height of the shelves and their number within the permissible range.
Wardrobes, consisting of modular elements, are design structures that are incomparable in functionality and individuality with any piece of furniture, which is why the complete set of modular wardrobes should be given special attention. In fact, modular furniture is a full-fledged design, which includes several cabinets of various configurations, purposes and sizes.
The basic elements of modular cabinets include racks with open and closed storage systems, corner modules (if the structure is L-shaped), TV stands, side sections, wardrobe items, pencil cases, bookcases, dressers, sideboards, etc. e. All these elements are fastened together by intersectional ties, which turn individual elements into a full-fledged cabinet structure.
The most important advantage of these designs is that the modules are chosen by the owner independently, taking into account the needs, and over time, it is possible to supplement the cabinet with other elements from the same collection.
Sliding wardrobes in their internal structure are not much different from wardrobes, but their important feature is the ability to choose internal storage system modules solely at the discretion of the owner. In this case, the question arises: how to properly plan the useful area of the cabinet and make it as convenient and functional as possible?
The equipment of the wardrobe is influenced by the number of personal belongings and wardrobe items, the available free space within the structure and the client's budget.
Based on the financial capabilities of the customer and his requirements, an initial sketch is created with several options for the location of the storage system elements. The dimensions of the structure are also taken into account, on which the number of departments / sections of the product depends.
Having a small area, the client, as a rule, opts for a design with one or two sections, but even such a small cabinet can accommodate hanger bars (most likely across the case to save space), shelves, a couple of drawers and shelves for women things or bags.
Large structures, respectively, have a large number of equipment options. In such cabinets, you can already store seasonal items, shoes or bed linen. By the way, there are even special modular boxes for bedding - their feature is the presence of fragrances for linen. For the fair half, manufacturers have provided not only modules for storing cosmetics, but also whole built-in dressing tables, but more on that later.
In order to make the most of the cabinet space, it is recommended to divide the storage system into three zones:
- Mezzanine - upper shelves. Used to store rarely used items, such as additional sets of blankets, pillows, seasonal items and other nonessential items.
- The main storage sections are in the middle of the cabinet. The most frequently used wardrobe items are located here.
- Lower sections - shelves at the bottom. This area is most commonly used for storing shoes, travel bags, etc.
In addition to rods, drawers and horizontal shelves, there are also additional elements, the installation of which is carried out depending on the requirements of the owner and the accessories of the cabinet.
It can be:
- The groom;
- Belt hanger;
- Storage compartments for jewelry;
- Roll-out basket;
- Shoe shelves;
- Sheds for kitchen cabinets;
- Pantograph, etc.
Equipping the structure with such an additional element as LED backlighting has become popular and very original. This element can be both decorative and functional. The external illumination of the front of the cabinet is considered decorative, this demonstrates its design and makes it part of the lighting design of the room. Internal lighting, in turn, is considered functional, it is necessary when the main lighting is not enough, this problem is especially acute in the overall designs of sliding wardrobes.
Both indoor and outdoor lighting must have an energy source, if possible it is a built-in socket inside, but if it is absent, then there is a battery-powered lighting unit.
And finally, a complete set of transforming cabinets, otherwise they are called matryoshka cabinets. This is an unusual idea for studio studios or modern small apartments. Such smart furniture combines the functions of several interior items at once, and at the same time rationally spends space.
In addition to the basic cabinet design, the transformer can be supplemented with:
- The table. This can be both a surface for a dining area, a coffee table, and a work table;
- A bed or a sofa. The sleeping section can be part of the sofa and hide in its structure until there is a need for use, or it can be simply framed by cabinet shelves;
- Children's house or play area.
It is noteworthy that such cabinets can be either with or without doors. This also allows you to acquire a hidden additional area for work or rest.
How to choose?
When choosing, it is important to consider several main aspects that have a great impact on the final result of buying a cabinet.
It is recommended to follow these characteristics in the sequence in which they are located:
- Dimensions of the room and structure;
- The material from which the product is made;
- Build quality;
- Facade decoration;
- Reviews about the manufacturer.
The first two aspects were discussed in the article above, so you can go straight to the third - the quality of the product. Of course, it is worth remembering that the quality largely depends on the material of construction. In the salon or after assembly on site, it is imperative to check all the connecting elements and the strength of their fastening, then examine the body and facade of the product for deformations, cracks, chips. After that, you can start checking the mechanism of the leaf movement. Even if these are ordinary hinges, it will not be superfluous to open and close the doors several times. All moving elements of the storage system must freely dock with each other, the same applies to the door leaf.
The fourth factor is checking the storage system and taking into account the individual needs of the future owner. If the design is made to order, it will be a fundamental design factor. This also affects the spaciousness of the product.
Another aspect is the decoration of the body and the facade. The drawing and textured structural elements must be symmetrical.If the doors are instructed by a mirror or frosted glass, it is important to check with the consultant for the presence of a film that prevents splinters in case of mechanical damage.
Design and decor
In most cases, the wardrobe is the most eye-catching interior item, therefore, not paying attention to the features of its construction and design is more likely to deliberately spoil the ideological composition of the room. It is important to harmoniously combine the owner's taste preferences with the style of the room. Experienced designers have developed a variety of concepts to combine various pieces of furniture, textiles, and furnishings to create the perfect space.
When the potential owner of a wardrobe or wardrobe has decided on the size, functionality and purpose of the product that he wants to purchase, it is time to decide on the style.
Here are some simple tips to follow:
- Classic interiors in restrained shades and calm tones with open arms accept wooden models into their ensemble, the façade of which is made of natural species or imitates wood;
- Products from MDF in most cases are designed according to modern styles, and therefore they are ideal for minimalist interiors or high-tech rooms;
- If the room has notes of vintage in its style or is decorated in the spirit of retro, then, oddly enough, an antique product will become an original addition to such a space.
By decorating the facades of products, you can achieve unexpected results in the design of residential areas.
There are several variations of decorative cabinet decoration:
Mirror design of the facade. Installing a mirror on the doors of products is the acquisition of not only decorative properties, but also functionality. With the help of mirrors, the space of the room visually expands, and also, if it is a wardrobe, it becomes an indispensable element when collecting. In addition, the mirror surface can be decorated according to the decor of the entire interior
- The front of the cabinet can be made not only of one material, but also have decorative inserts made of frosted glass, plastic, wood with carvings, etc. The color range of these elements and their texture are also selected taking into account the style of the room.
- The body and door leaves can be painted with enamel, which provides a smooth and matt surface. After painting, you can paste over the facade with patterns.
- A popular innovation in the design of cabinet facades that quickly won the hearts of designers and owners is photo printing, which replaced stickers. This type of decoration consists in applying an image to the door sashes. What is important here is a laconic combination of the body and the image, its colors and the scale of the entire room.
- Cabinets can not only be unusually decorated, but can themselves represent a whole work of art, for example, have platinum handles, hand carvings, be assembled from natural wood planks without painting, or have an extraordinary body in the form of an old boat, geometric figures or figures of animals, plants.
Types of mirror decoration:
- Fusing. Fusion of a large number of multi-colored pieces of glass into a single composition.
- Painting. Creation of an acrylic pattern on the glass surface.
- Photo printing. Direct UV printing on the mirror surface and coating the image with a protective film.
- Sandblasting technique. Abrasive glass surface to create a variety of patterns and designs.
- Combined design method. Combines several types of decoration.
Placement of the cabinet in the room requires special attention.In most cases, it is the closet that is the most bulky piece of furniture in the room, and therefore it simply cannot go unnoticed.
When placing the cabinet along a free wall, it is advisable to choose a structure that fills the entire space, then the product will be visually perceived as a wall. In this case, it is recommended to choose a solid model of a wardrobe from the floor with roller shutters to the ceiling or a wardrobe.
The creation of an alcove is a fairly popular option for the arrangement of cabinets. This requires two completely identical designs. They are located at some distance from each other, and the space between them is filled at will - it can be a bed, a soft set, bedside tables, a work area, etc.
Location on one side of the opening is the standard cabinet layout.
Creating an arch - the location of cabinets on the sides of a door or window opening, you can also install a mezzanine to create a single structure.
Corner location is most popular for corner models.
- Hallway wardrobe.
- Built-in wardrobe in the attic.
- Built-in wardrobe located under the stairs.
- Modular wardrobe for the hall.
- The Tiffany set includes a wardrobe, chest of drawers and a TV stand.
Recommendations for choosing a cabinet - in the video below.