Liquid wallpaper is one of the varieties of modern finishing materials.
They have a powdery structure and are not sold in the usual rolls, but in boxes or bags. The composition of the powder includes various components: cotton, silk, cellulose fibers, sand, synthetic fibers, binders and dyes. There are varieties that include more exotic ingredients such as dried algae, wood chips, mica particles of various colors. The variety of compositions makes this finishing material versatile. It is used both at home and in offices, in public areas. It is used in a variety of styles.
When applied, the powder is diluted with water in the required proportional proportions and distributed over the surfaces in an even layer. When the wall is completely dry, it acquires a textured unevenness - roughness.
Advantages and disadvantages
Positive qualities include:
- Resistant to temperature extremes. Suitable for use in cold rooms.
- They do not require preliminary preparation of the wall, since minor cracks and holes are masked during application.
- No special professional skills required for application. Dismantled without problems.
- They have good sound and heat insulation.
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic, do not emit harmful substances.
- Do not accumulate dust.
- They do not accumulate moisture, do not damp, do not form a greenhouse effect.
- Liquid wallpaper is used without problems in hard-to-reach places (columns, arches, wall joints, behind batteries, etc.) (paper wallpaper in such places is cut, glued, decorated).
- Lay flat, do not bubble.
- Different textures can be combined, creating patterns, drawings, color transitions.
- There are no seams (since the wall is a single canvas).
- The service life is at least 10 years while maintaining a high-quality original appearance.
- The arising defects are easily, quickly and imperceptibly restored with the remaining composition.
The disadvantages include:
- In case of significant unevenness of the walls, additional preparation of the wall is required.
- Moisture sensitivity (this makes it easier to dismantle, but does not make it possible to use in bathrooms).
- Only dry cleaning with a vacuum cleaner or dry cloth is allowed (in this regard, it is undesirable to use it in kitchens if a significant amount of grease and soot accumulates there).
- Compared to paper wallpaper, the cost is higher.
The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Living room design
The living room is the central room of the entire apartment, which sets the stylistic tone for all other rooms. Therefore, their design is treated especially scrupulously, wanting to create something original in this room. Liquid wallpaper can make a living room special. It is recommended to choose wallpaper with a non-uniform texture, preferably with the addition of granules or flock. This will give a visual similarity to plaster. In a palace-style living room, coatings in silver or gold tones are appropriate. The "marble dust" looks very rich and stylish: barely visible cracks-veins with an inimitable deep glow.
It is possible to use glitters (gloss) in the form of straws in the living room.
Walls with a pattern look original. To do this, you need to purchase or draw a stencil yourself and apply the composition along the contours. With the help of vertical stripes, you can "raise" the ceiling, horizontal lines will expand the room. It is recommended to cover only one wall with patterns. Large drawings are appropriate in large rooms.
Even without special artistic skills, you can decorate the walls with visual niches for paintings made from liquid wallpaper with a fine structure with flock or containing a composition with a silk effect.
It is possible to cover the wall, which will be visible from the sofa, with wallpaper having a large heterogeneous structure. This will add originality to the room. The same technique is used to highlight the wall at the head of the bed in the bedroom.
To create a cozy and warm atmosphere, it is possible to use wallpaper that resembles textiles. If you add glitter or fluorescent paint to the powder mixture, it will create a special flickering light effect when the light rays hit and glow in the dark. It is possible to fantasize a little and make the glow effect in certain sections of the wall, for example, closer to the ceiling.
Quite often, bedrooms are decorated in ethnic style. Liquid wallpaper provides unique design possibilities in this direction - you can create panels, draw patterns.
Liquid wallpaper allows you to show personal creativity, that is, you can independently compose the texture depending on the design of the room, mixing shades and additional ingredients.
First of all, you need to decide on the style solution for the design of the kitchen area:
- In the classic style, calm, dull shades are used.
- For a "loft" plain wallpaper is ideal.
- Country calls for a soft, cozy wallpaper effect.
- Textured wallpaper in muted tones is suitable for Provence.
The use of such wallpaper in kitchen areas has its own peculiarities. Before applying the wallpaper, it is necessary to treat the walls with a special primer, which will prevent the appearance of yellow streaks. After complete drying, additional means are needed to protect against high humidity and other adverse effects that are natural in the kitchen. For this purpose, the wallpaper is covered with acrylic varnish and antiseptic agents.
For children, liquid wallpaper based on cotton fibers is desirable, since they are almost 100% natural. Alternatively, the use of two types of wallpaper separating the work area from the rest area. Often, the walls of nurseries are decorated with cartoon drawings with the help of liquid wallpaper.
Corridor and hallway
These premises are of secondary importance, but according to their condition, the primary opinion about the whole apartment is formed, therefore everything should be perfect here too. The difficulty of creating coziness in the corridor or hallway is that a significant amount of street dust and dirt gets here. For this reason, special requirements are imposed on the interior: ease of cleaning, maximum stability and durability. Liquid wallpaper has these properties.
The color of the wallpaper should be chosen depending on the conditions of the room. For a narrow darkened corridor, beige, pale pink, white and pastel colors are ideal. Bright elements require dosed use. It is not necessary to apply the wallpaper to the entire wall. You can cover the bottom of the wall with wallpaper, and paint the top with paint, or vice versa. At the same time, the border between painting and gluing is drawn up with an interesting border.
Quite often, geometric or abstract images are painted in hallways.
When decorating in the "loft" style, you can combine brick and textured wallpaper, possibly a combination with masonry.
The walls of the hallway are often damaged, and dust accumulates here. To protect them from such negative effects, protection with a layer of primer or varnish is required.
The rules for the cultivation and application of wallpaper are indicated on the packages. They must be carefully studied and followed. At the same time, there are some nuances that will help to avoid possible problems:
- The diluted mixture should be infused for 12 hours. Stirring during preparation of the mixture and immediately before use should be done by hand. The mechanical action of the mixer can destroy the structure and it will not match the sample. The mixture is applied with a metal spatula. Pressing should be moderate (not strong or weak).
- One batch is required for a uniform coating of one wall (with repeated mixing, transitions may be visible). Apply the composition starting from the corner. First, cover two opposite walls, then the remaining 2.
- The thickness of the common layer should not exceed 4-5 mm: 3 mm for the rough layer, 2 mm for the finishing layer. It is necessary to let the wall dry for two to three days.
To apply a picture or pattern, a pencil drawing is first drawn on the wall, after which a mixture is applied with a rubber spatula (2-5 cm) and carefully distributed along the contour lines of the drawing. Then within 3-4 hours the applied layer of the first color dries up, then another color is applied.
How to care?
Only dry cleaning is allowed! Do not use brushes and wet cleaning!
In the event that any area becomes dirty, it is necessary to wet it and remove the contaminated layer with a knife or spatula. Then apply a renewed layer. The originally repaired part will be different, but as it dries, the difference should disappear or be minimal.
Consumer reviews about this type of decor are only positive. They note the ease of application, the ability to correct errors and the realization of the flight of imagination.
Try to realize your wildest dreams and change the design using liquid wallpaper. Diversify the familiar interior - and the result will pleasantly surprise and delight.
For information on how to choose and apply liquid wallpaper to the wall, see the next video.