Undoubtedly, having a baby is the best thing that can happen in every family. From the first minutes of life, parents try to give their child all the best. The best, first of all, means parental love and affection, and only then clothes, toys, furniture and accessories of luxury quality. For your child, as they say, you do not feel sorry for either money or time. If parents do not have any particular difficulties with the purchase of the first necessary things for a child, then when choosing a mattress, some people face some questions.
From the first days of being at home, a newborn spends a lot of time in a crib, and in order for the baby's pastime in it to be pleasant and useful, you need to choose the "right" mattress. So, let's consider the basic requirements for a children's mattress:
- The size. The size of the mattress must match the size of the crib. It will cause inconvenience to the baby if, for example, it turns out to be smaller than the bed. The standard is a mattress 120 cm long and 60 cm wide. However, if you know the dimensions of the crib, you can choose a mattress that will differ from the standard version. Almost all furniture factories have a sewing service for sleeping accessories. You can order a mattress of any shape and size.
- Hygiene. Since the child will spend a lot of time in the crib, the mattress should be air permeable, and also moisture resistant or have a special cover that can be removed and washed. The filler is also important. Everyone knows that for children you need to choose everything natural. However, in this case, naturalness may be completely out of place. For example, wool filler can become an allergen. Coconut coir is considered non-allergenic.
- Orthopedic properties. A newborn mattress should be slightly firm. Only in this case will the baby's spine be able to take the correct position. Pediatricians are categorically against the child sleeping on a soft, as the child's spine can be deformed.
With spring block
The spring model is a good option for a toddler. However, it should be borne in mind that there are mattresses with springs dependent on each other and independent. So, the first option is not at all suitable for kids. This is due to the fact that the springs in this case are fastened to each other directly, and, accordingly, when one spring is deflected, they are bent and located next to each other. Because of this, a deepening occurs, which negatively affects the health of the child. And in models with independent springs, each spring assumes the presence of a bag, due to which each spring remains independent.
Pros: the mattress does not sag under the weight of the child, respectively, the spine will be in the correct position; the second model, unlike the first, does not emit any squeaks and unnecessary noises, respectively, the child will not be woken up by unnecessary sounds.
Minuses: high cost, too high and heavy.
When buying a model with an orthopedic effect, it is recommended that you talk to your orthopedic doctor. After examining the child, he will recommend you which model to buy. Obligatory qualities that an orthopedic mattress must have are elasticity, the necessary rigidity and evenness of the surface. The task of an orthopedic mattress is to ensure healthy sleep for a child, no matter what position he sleeps in. And to be sure of the quality of the product, you can request a certificate from the seller.
The "coconut" model is recognized as the most suitable for a newborn baby. The filler is made from coconut fiber. In this case, the fibers are either stitched together or connected with latex. Stitched models are not entirely suitable for babies, as the coconut filler along the seam can crumble, forming dust that can cause allergies. Another disadvantage of the stitched version is that such a mattress is quickly deformed.
Parents who care about their child's health prefer models with coconut coir and with latex compound.
Do not forget that products made from high quality materials cannot be cheap.
Pros: the filler does not absorb odors, is well ventilated, does not rot, mites and microbes will never start in it. This model is ideal for newborn babies, as it has the necessary rigidity.
With polyurethane foam
Polyurethane foam is made artificially: the polymer is foamed. It belongs to economy class materials. Regardless, the mattress has its pros and cons.
Pros: strength, durability, lightness. A definite plus is the price. Polyurethane foam does not change its shape over time, does not form tubercles.
Minuses: the mattress is not firm enough.
From batting and foam rubber
These fillers are not considered to be the most suitable for newborn babies. Firstly, in the production of such a model, materials are used that cannot be useful to the child's body. As for the foam rubber, it is too soft for babies, and accordingly it can quickly deform, and with it the baby's spine.
Pros: small price, ease.
Cons: batting and foam rubber are materials that are too soft for children; absorbs various odors and liquids; the filler may begin to roll off over time, forming bumps.
What you need to know about sizing
Mattresses with dimensions 60 by 120 cm are considered standard, the sizes of the European standard are slightly different - 65 by 130 cm, 70 by 140 cm. The most optimal height is 10-15 cm. You need to select it depending on the size of the crib. The mattress should lie like a glove, leaving no gaps. Too small a mattress will leave gaps in which the baby's handle or leg can get stuck, and too large can form bumps or depressions that can deform a fragile spine.
Choosing a mattress topper
Having bought a mattress, you must also purchase a mattress topper or a cover. Here are some tips for choosing a mattress topper:
- A case with an elastic band is considered a good one. Such a mattress topper is very convenient for small children, as it does not roll or crawl.
- Give preference to covers with a waterproof coating. However, the outside must be soft.
- If you do not have the opportunity to buy a mattress topper at the moment, it's okay. For this purpose, baby waterproof diapers are suitable.
Proper care ensures the longevity of any product. The rules of care are almost universal and are suitable for almost any sleeping accessory
- The first thing to do often often is to ventilate. To do this, you need to take it outside, especially if the sun is shining. But it should be remembered that the mattress can only be put in a horizontal position, turning it over from time to time.
- You can not knock out the product with any filler. But to get rid of the dust, you need to vacuum the mattress from both sides every month.
- It is best to get a few garters so you can change and wash them frequently. For convenience, it is recommended to purchase mattress covers with an elastic band or with a drawstring.
- If the mattress has both sides hard, then you need to turn it over from time to time.
- If only one side is rigid, then it is necessary to periodically rotate the mattress, that is, to change the head part with the other, in places.
- The product can only be transported in a horizontal position.
- Spring models must not be folded, so as not to damage the springs and filler.
- If spots suddenly appear, then you need to remove them with special children's products, in which the minimum chlorine content.
- Another point that needs to be taken into account is that water must not be allowed to get inside, otherwise the filler may deform.
- If the mattress is filled with coconut coir, it must not be wet cleaned. This model is recommended to be vacuumed, ventilated and turned over frequently. It is also not recommended to jump and play on such a model, so as not to damage the filler.
- If the mattress has batting filler, then it must be ventilated monthly and vacuumed weekly. Such a model can be taken to dry cleaning, but it can only be cleaned with foam, without moisturizing too much.
Owner reviews vary widely, but most users are happy with their choice. Most buyers prefer brands such as Ascona, Ormatek, Vegas and Relax. All products of these brands are by no means cheap, but soon buyers notice that for such a high-quality sleeping accessory, the price is not quite that high. In very rare cases, customers complain about the poor quality of the product.