We rarely decide on a radical reconstruction in the apartment, but even cosmetic repairs will help to significantly update the interior. One of the easiest ways to redesign your living room is to redecorate the walls.
In addition, if you are making repairs in a new apartment, the first thing to think about is the design of the walls, because they largely determine the appearance of the room. If you are in doubt about which finishing method to choose, it is worth considering the current modern options.
Wall decor is always striking, so it is important that it is stylish and harmonious. If you want to competently decorate the walls in the living room, you need to consider the size and layout of the room. Before thinking over the design, check out a number of simple rules formulated by modern experts:
- In a small room, the decor should be as minimalistic as possible. As a finish, paint, plain wallpaper or wallpaper with a very small ornamental print is suitable. If you are going to hang paintings or photographs, they should be medium in size and there should not be too many of them.
- An empty wall in a spacious living room can be decorated with photo wallpaper or a large painting with a landscape or abstraction. If you have an empty wall in a small hall, it is better to place several small paintings, a clock or a collage on it.
- Decorating a spacious living room can be a fun process. On the walls, you can place moldings, tapestries, paintings, photographs, unusual bookshelves, mirrors, lamps or pots with indoor flowers. It all depends only on the style in which you want to decorate your living room. However, whichever option you choose, the decor in a spacious room is necessary to make it cozy and not look impersonal.
- If you have an imperfectly finished rough finish in an apartment, you should not make the walls smooth - paste over them with textured wallpaper or do embossed painting - for example, paint can be applied with strokes or spraying. This finish does not interfere with the subsequent interesting decor.
Pay attention to the color scheme of the wall decoration - in small rooms it is better to stick to light pastel colors, and the owners of a large living room can afford dark shades
Bright colors are best avoided in decoration, but they are great as bright accents.
- In a small living room, try to use more glossy surfaces in the decor. These can be ordinary mirrors, shades for wall lamps or reproductions of paintings and photographs under glass. Such solutions will visually expand the space, making your hall look brighter and more spacious.
- It is important that the wall decor fits into the overall design concept of the entire room. For example, if you are going to create a classic style, you should not do wood trim, and if you are furnishing a living room in a country style, fashion photos on glass plates will not look appropriate. In the case when you stick to the eclectic design that is currently fashionable, when combining diverse elements it is very important that they all fit together.
The wall decor in the living room can be extremely diverse - some of its types are easy to implement, but to create other design options, you will have to work hard or even resort to the help of professionals.
Consider the following trendy ways to decorate the walls in the room:
You can decorate painted walls or areas with wallpaper to paint using mural or drawings… You can do a simple ornamental painting on the walls yourself - just cut out stencils from paper and carefully apply paint. If you want to draw not ornaments, but a landscape or city panorama, most likely you will have to resort to the help of professional designers
Also keep in mind that large-scale drawings are not suitable for textured wallpaper for painting.
In the hall you can place an interesting panel on the wall - you can even create it with your own hands. You will need beautiful waste fabric, beads and buttons, ribbons, glass, stones and shells to create an excellent decorative composition. You can also make your own collage by cutting out pictures from magazines and lettering that inspire you, add drawings, fabric clippings, and stickers. This is an excellent decor option for a modern-style hall, as well as for a youth apartment
- Photos Is another great way to decorate walls in your living room. The decor can be played up: bright photo frames or an unusual arrangement of the images themselves will help with this. Photos always make a room feel much more comfortable. Even if you have simple white walls and an unpretentious design - hang up children's and family photos with pleasant moments of your life, they will become a highlight of the interior.
- Bright posters Is a great and easy way to decorate walls in a modern youth living room. Posters in the pop art style will look great: they will bring a touch of retro to the modern design and perfectly highlight any decoration. In addition, the color scheme of these posters is so diverse that you will surely find suitable options.
- Metal decorations can also be placed on walls. It is easy to find forged or lighter metal structures in stores - openwork lattices, abstract shapes, metal stands for flower pots, frames for mirrors, clocks and hooks for clothes. You can arrange such options in both classic and modern interiors.
- Popular now wall decoration with moldings - These are plastic wall coverings that can have a wide variety of shapes. Initially, moldings were attributes of the classic style and baroque style in the interior, but now you can find other options that will fit into any interior.
- If you have a country style design, you can decorate the walls with boards … It will look very stylish and unusual, will allow you to feel like a part of nature and enjoy eco-friendly design even in a city apartment.
- Often modern the interiors of the halls are decorated with ceramic tiles, stylized as brickwork or stone. This decor will look good on plain painted walls. Brick decor will fit into modern, high-tech, Provencal style and eclecticism.
We decorate the wall behind the sofa
The decor of the walls in the hall is often impeded by tall cabinets and windows - they often violate the composition. If you have a small living room in which you need to fit a lot of furniture, you will only have a wall behind the sofa relatively empty.
It is she who should be given special attention when choosing a decor:
Pictures look best over sofas.… It is good if you find an elongated composition that will maximally repeat the shape of the sofa - such a solution will look harmonious and will allow you not to split up the space once again. A composition of several paintings or photographs that folds into an elongated shape can also look good
- Tapestries they can look especially stylish over the sofa - they will create additional coziness, make the furnishings of the room truly homely, habitable and original.
- Often, it is over the sofas that the walls are painted.… Monotonous floral, floral or abstract patterns are best suited for this. For a full-fledged picture, a wall with a sofa is not the best place, because the sofa will block the lower part. However, if you want to sketch out individual elements, such as rooftops, sunsets, tree branches, this can be done over the sofa.
Also, the space is ideal for abstract images in a minimalist style.
- The wall with the sofa is excellent can be decorated with tiles imitating masonry … It will allow you to highlight the area with upholstered furniture, create a unique atmosphere and comfort.
- If you have a living room in the now fashionable colonial style, you can decorate the wall behind the sofa with decorative world maps, ceramic dishes or wooden masks - it will look very interesting and unusual.
In any living room, regardless of its footage, layout, decoration and interior style, bright accents are needed. It is the little things that stand out in the interior that make it possible to create an interesting design. Wall decorations and accessories are very important.
Consider the following ways to add accents to your room decor:
First of all, you can consider various moldings. They are by no means limited to white and the classic form - now you can find bright and interesting options in the form of flowers, silhouettes of people, trees or abstract elements. These decorations will make your living room look bright, modern and interesting
- Interior accents can be not only bright and beautiful, but also functional. For example, now you can find all kinds of design options for hanging shelves on the walls. They can be made of plastic, wood, metal or stained glass, have a variety of shapes and colors. In addition to the fact that such products will significantly diversify the interior, they will also turn out to be functionally useful - this is especially true for small living rooms, in which the space you want to use especially effectively.
- Wall lamps are also very unusual - you just need to choose a design that fits into the overall project of your living room. If you like experimentation and modern solutions, you can choose lamps with colored light for additional lighting.
Blue, pink or green lamps will create a unique romantic atmosphere in your living room.
Pictures, panels and posters can also serve as bright accents. At the same time, it is not at all necessary to choose paintings and printed materials in flashy catchy colors. The main thing is that the color scheme of the images contrasts with the color of the walls. For example, against the background of dark walls, paintings in pastel colors will look bright, and if you have a pale finish, a dark painting or poster can become a noticeable accent
Deciding on the best decor for your living room walls can be tricky. To find the best option for your room, consider stylish decor examples in different types of interiors:
In a trendy eclectic style Nowadays, decor with fabrics is popular: you can hang one wall with the semblance of curtains or stretch a beautiful fabric over frames and hang such images instead of paintings. Such options can look very bright, original and interesting
- If you have a hall setting hi-tech, best of all, abstract painting and all kinds of metal decorations will fit into such an interior. Gold and silver surfaces are now in vogue, they are suitable for both large and small living rooms. In addition, abstract patterns and metal will look equally good with wood and plastic furniture.
- Although classic interiors gravitate towards minimalism, it is very important that they also have decorative accents. Exquisite white molding and candelabra wall lights can help with this.
Decorative stucco molding will also allow you to diversify the decoration and add luxury to the interior.
- For Provencal style wood trim, painted white and painted with floral patterns, may be perfect. You can also decorate the walls with simple pastel paintings and family photos in antique-style frames.
- For modern style bright pictures in wooden frames, wooden clocks and brickwork are suitable. Such an interior can be very cozy and stylish.
If you have a living room colonial style, the walls can be decorated with ceramics, wooden steering wheel, decorative maps, masks, wood carved decorations. This will make your living room look like a real traveler's dwelling with a unique atmosphere
In the next video, you will find a master class on making an interesting decor - a wall panel made of wood.