The living room is the most popular room in the house. In it, the whole family relaxes in the evening watching TV. Noisy parties are also held in this room. If no one is at home, then you can sit in the living room with an interesting book and a cup of tea. You need to know all the subtleties of decorating a living room in a private house in order to end up with a comfortable room.
Features of the
Your own private house is a real workshop for creative and creative people, a combination of a variety of styles that move from room to room. The living room is the face of the house, the most comfortable place where you can gather in the evening with your family and friends. Therefore, decorating a living room is a responsible process that uses different styles, directions and the most creative solutions for non-standard situations.
Professional designers and architects emphasize interesting features and subtleties of decorating a living room in a private house, which you should definitely remember:
- The observance of the correct proportions of the future living room is laid down at the stage of planning the structure and must have a truly responsible approach so that the size and shape of the room are comfortable, support the design idea, and not be an unexpected surprise.
- The unity of family, friends and loved ones in the living room always creates the semantic center necessary for the room. It can be a fireplace, home theater, library and much more.
- In the most advantageous place of the room, it is customary to place what will give the owners comfort and convenience - upholstered furniture. The required number of armchairs, sofas, poufs create a cozy atmosphere.
- Among other features, lighting occupies an important place, which affects the atmosphere of the room on a daily basis. In the living room of a private house, this problem is usually solved by installing large windows so that they give the room maximum light. In cases where this is not possible, it is imperative to take care of additional sources of lighting for the hall and fit them into the interior design.
Design a living room of 30 sq. m is not difficult if you follow the recommendations of experts.
If you have a large room in your home, you have a great opportunity to zoning this room to turn it into several zones at once. This design solution has become very popular: in this form, the room looks very attractive, the visual space of the entire room is significantly expanded.
For the correct division of space, you can use the following solutions:
- Dividing the space using multi-level stretch ceilings, this will visually expand the room and give it completeness.
- Zoning is also common, done with the help of competent wall decoration. As a rule, a monochromatic finish is performed in the general style, and a bright accent is created on one of the walls, for example, on the living room wall as the central part of the room. The zoning of the kitchen will include tiling, which should be in harmony with the overall wall decoration, as well as the floor tiles for cladding should have a common color scheme and match the parquet or laminate of the adjacent area.
- An excellent way to divide the space in a house into two floors is to install functional interior partitions. When using this method, you can place a fireplace in the partition, so households from different zones can enjoy the warmth of the family hearth. Or you will have a shelving screen that can perform the function of storing things.
- Certain lighting solutions can also divide the space in your room. The dimness of the light creates a sense of security, while the illumination of another part of the room will be more intense and carry a different atmosphere.
- Living rooms made of timber in a frame or log house cannot have a classic interior. For decoration, a rustic style is more suitable. Projects of such houses are quite common and are popular in summer cottage construction.
A large number of styles and trends offer a lot of different combinations of colors, furniture, appliances and everything else. With so much variety, it's easy to choose the style you and your loved ones enjoy for a cozy living room ambience. Let's consider the most popular and current living room design styles in more detail.
The style is ideal for those who want to maximize the space, as well as minimize all the details, keeping only the most necessary and practical in the interior. Thanks to this direction, an atmosphere of rest and relaxation is created from the bustle of the city and flickering before the eyes of different pictures, but this option risks quickly getting bored because of its monotony. The materials commonly used in these styles are glass and metal. They are typical options both for wall and floor decoration, as well as for decorating furniture and other interior elements. The main purpose of their use is to improve lighting and visually increase the space of the room.
Characteristic features of minimalism:
- the presence of free space, there are only load-bearing walls in the room and there are no partitions at all;
- a minimum of details, decorative items are almost or completely absent;
- multifunctionality of furniture items, for example, transforming furniture;
- a large amount of light and color monochrome;
- appliances and various equipment are hidden from view, for example, heating and air conditioning are covered with panels.
It is worth considering as accurately as possible the characteristics of this style in order to distinguish it from many others:
- the style is characterized by the use of podiums and various elevations, for example, one or two steps, which well emphasizes the zoning of the space of a large room;
- the range of tones is used calm and monotonous, but at the same time an emphasis is placed on one of the walls due to the contrast of color, which gives the room dynamics and originality;
- a large number of shiny and mirror surfaces are also used, which are usually located among furniture fittings;
- good illumination of the entire space of the room using natural light and various additional light sources to emphasize every corner of the room.
Today, this style is popular and familiar to most city dwellers, as it is capable of absorbing a large number of details and has many ready-made design solutions. This style is best characterized by a harmonious combination of natural and rich tones, such as cream and chocolate, or the use of monochrome tones.
The loft style is gaining great popularity, which is translated from English as "attic". The interior of a factory building is sometimes considered a very daring choice for all owners. This is usually a large space with plenty of natural light. Raw surfaces are the main feature of the loft style, which includes exposed wooden beams, frayed brick walls, peeling frames, metal stairs, and ajar ventilation structures. Style with a roughly expressed finish, a minimum number of partitions, versatile light sources.
The main elements of the style:
- brick wall decoration is almost always present, but it can be different, for example, shabby and rough or noticeably imitated and neat;
- a large amount of light and free space;
- a combination of modern and antique furniture in the room;
- active use of metal and glass elements in interior details and decoration;
- combination of vintage style with ultra-modern innovations.
The Scandinavian direction is light tones, saturated, sometimes bleached light shades, for example, ivory. This is due to the fact that the creators of the style, the Norwegians, Finns and Swedes, are deprived of sunlight most of the time and compensate for this with the help of home decoration. In this style, it is recommended to let in as much light as possible and use reflective surfaces.
The style is characterized by its practicality and minimal detail.for example, furniture with a lot of fittings is excluded. It is customary to create accents on cozy things - a large fluffy rug, beautiful soft pillows. Shades close to natural, only in muted tones. The material is predominantly wood, such as wood flooring, wood tables and dressers.
- in most cases, there are no curtains on the windows, as they prevent sunlight from entering the room;
- the presence of a fireplace in the house helps to emphasize the warmth of the atmosphere, it is best if the fireplace is real;
- the main range is light and pale, which expands the space, and so that there is no feeling of cold in the room, it is diluted with warm yellow shades and wooden elements;
- the transition of colors in the style is recommended to be made as smooth as possible, which is why the baseboards are selected in an intermediate and transitional color between the floor and the wall.
Country music is considered one of the most comfortable styles for decoration, as it is filled with the warmth and coziness of a home environment. This style is regularly used in country houses, and sometimes it is found in city apartments. For a country-style living room, simplicity of decor elements and decoration is suitable. And the color palette is represented by both a monochromatic scale and the presence of bright accents. The style is cozy, sweet and good-natured.
The details that make it like this:
- the presence of plant motifs, cells and stripes - it is such textiles that constantly dominate in this style;
- natural materials, especially wood, are best suited for this setting;
- furniture is mostly wooden, which is additionally decorated with antiquity, and decoupage or craquelure is also used;
- brick or masonry will look appropriate, especially if it frames a fireplace, wood panels will also be a suitable option;
- as a decoration, a soft and cozy carpet with floral ornaments will fit into the interior.
Style that bewitches the imagination, amazes with an abundance of details and details. The classic style is characterized by a large room, with a maximum number of large windows, saturated with light.
A good choice for connoisseurs of the past, it appropriately combines the following features:
- luxurious bulky chandeliers;
- large-sized furniture with rich upholstery;
- a large number of growth mirrors and small mirrors;
- the presence of arches and columns.
The palette for style is selected from soft shades, and the main emphasis is on textiles, curtains and upholstery, creating a mesmerizing effect. Decorations and wallpapers go well together and give a lot of expressiveness, especially when using linkrust and frescoes.
Ethnicity is the passion of every traveler, emphasizing the individuality of the owner of the house. The main design task is to harmoniously combine exotic elements of different cultures, protecting the owner from the effect of a flea market in the house. It combines elements of different cultures: household items, traditional colors and decor.
Materials are usually selected natural and natural, combined with the culture of the selected country. All other details will be selected in the same way: carpets, lamps, type of furniture and its upholstery. For example, everything inside the chalet should be harmonious.
The rustic style lacks any fancy furnishings. A one-story house needs to be furnished as simply as possible. The walls can be finished with a simple board. For journalists, you can choose an unusual concert style. Everything should be bright and shiny. In this way, a nursery for a creative child can also be decorated.
Colors and prints
The choice of colors for the living room is a responsible part of the work, since it can influence the emotional state of all household members: both to cheer up and to create boredom.
First of all, professionals recommend paying attention to the location of the windows relative to the cardinal points. In cases where the windows face the north side, it is better to diversify the room with warm shades of colors, such as peach or beige. And when the windows are located on the south side, you can make the room cooler with the help of a cold range of colors - lilac, gray.
It is worth considering the following rule for choosing a color: during the day, lighting changes from natural to artificial, so consider how your color will change over this period
When choosing a color, you must rely on personal taste preferences, and, of course, take into account the color combinations with each other. The beige color is a win-win option, since it is not difficult to choose a range for it, which will be perfectly and comfortably combined in your living room.
Lovers of the classics are boldly recommended to choose white, it also goes well with a large palette of shades. This choice can be easily revived with a large number of color accents and bright decor items.
Using bright colors, for example, to lift your spirits can be dangerous - just overdo it with a touch and the whole design doesn't go according to plan. For lovers of bright colors, the best solution would be to choose a calm tone as the main color and make a bright accent on one wall and decor items.
Tips & Tricks
To design your own living room in a private house with your own hands, it is always worth paying attention first of all to the advice of professionals, this will help save time and money on building materials.
Pay attention to the semantic center. It can be something that will always grab the attention of your loved ones and bring you together. Fireplace, TV, home theater - it is around the semantic centers that all the rest of the furniture is located and the decor elements are placed.
Think carefully about the lighting of the future living room in a private house, since natural light will not always illuminate the room. In the evening, the lack of light is most felt. This issue should be approached in detail and equip the room with a large number of lamps, providing an opportunity to relax in the evening in a room with a moderate amount of light.
If we are talking about a room with a limited amount of space, then you should familiarize yourself with a variety of ways to visually expand the space through color, lighting and interior details.
Combination of styles
If you really like a particular style of the interior, make it the leading one, but be sure to combine it with a style that will preserve harmony and comfort. Otherwise, you may be faced with a frankly uncomfortable environment filled with patterns and clichés. Arrangement of logs in a two-story house of a classic living room is impossible. You also need to be careful with the second light.
In the living room with access to the terrace, it is better to use light colors. Thus, it will look even more spacious.
The living room in a log house should be done in a rustic style. It is necessary to equip it with simple furnishings, without excessive pretentiousness.
A small living room should be filled with furnishings in white or beige. This way you can visually enlarge the space. A stylish interior should be discreet, without unnecessary details.
You can see even more interesting solutions for decorating a living room in a private house in the next video.