The further civilization develops, the more knowledge and opportunities a person has. This also applies to home improvement. What was almost impossible a couple of decades ago is becoming commonplace today.
Dream or reality?
The blue dream of many Soviet people was a living room with a fireplace and a TV. It was impossible to carry it out, because the main type of housing was communal apartments or small apartments. What kind of fireplace to talk about in such planning conditions? But now, thanks to the installation of a fireplace, it has become possible to add comfort to the living room in any living room: in a private house, in a country house, and in an apartment.
With modern renovations, people are increasingly placing fireplaces in living rooms. This arrangement has several advantages:
- The interior of the living room takes on a more presentable look, adding aristocracy to it.
- Another focus of warmth. In the offseason, it comes in handy.
- A fireplace installed in upper-floor corner apartments will help to avoid high humidity and dampness.
- It is worth placing a fireplace in the living room, and the room will become more comfortable.
- A living room with a fireplace and TV will become a place of attraction for the whole family, and contemplation of the fire will help to relax after a hard day.
Types of fireplaces
By placement methods
To embody different ideas and place a fireplace in any room, there are such types of fireplaces as:
- Built in. It is one of the first invented types and requires a chimney. Therefore, it is erected at the construction stage and is usually installed in country houses, cottages, summer cottages. In the absence of a chimney, a plasterboard wall is mounted for an electric built-in fireplace.
- Wall-mounted - a classic, very common type of fireplace placement against the wall.
- Island (panoramic) - an original and modern way of placing a fireplace in an open area of the room, for example, in the middle of it. There are floor-standing, hanging, even mobile, which is used by designers for zoning a room.
- Angular. Perfect for small spaces and different interiors.
By type of fuel
Depending on the type of premises, the capabilities of the owners of the house and design ideas, it is possible to choose a fireplace according to the way it functions. Depending on the type of fuel consumed, fireplaces are distinguished:
- Wood burning. This is a classic type of fireplace that requires a real chimney, space for logs, so it is not suitable for apartments. But in country houses it becomes not just a source of warmth, but also a center of attraction for households and guests with its beauty, crackling firewood music, and an atmosphere of comfort.
- Electrical. In fact, these are electric heaters stylized as a fireplace. Ideal for installation in any apartment due to the variety of models. A simulated flame is reproduced on the back of the fireplace, which is a screen. Does not require fuel, does not emit combustion products. Simple and easy to use. Modern samples are equipped with a control panel that allows you to adjust not only the heating mode, but also the type of fiery tongues and even the sound of crackling wood.
- Gas. Of all the artificial fireplaces, it is more similar to the real one. Its fuel is natural gas. It is possible to control the strength of the flame. Heats the room well, does not give dirt, but requires agreement with the gas service. It is necessary to provide for an exhaust, safe gas supply. Accommodation in a room depends on gas communications.
- Bio fireplaces run on biological fuel containing alcohol. This is a new generation of fireplaces. It does not require any extractor hood, any special care, you just need to add biofuel as it is consumed. No dirt, no installation problems. A wide range of models, up to desktop.
Artificial fireplaces also include a false fireplace that does not require fuel. Its function is purely decorative. It does not take up much space, it can be made of different materials. It can be mobile or stationary. They decorate false fireplaces in a variety of ways as they wish (candles, garlands, vases, a picture with a painted fire, etc.).
When there is a desire to have both a fireplace and a TV in the living room, it is necessary to consider the options for their placement, taking into account the size of the room and its interior. If none of the items are preferred, it is recommended to select them of approximately the same size, otherwise either the fireplace or the TV will draw attention to itself.
A very common option is to install a TV over a fireplace. However, many experts do not advise doing this, since the eye will rush between the fire of the fireplace and the screen. And this is tiresome. The location of the TV in front of the fireplace is also not very successful: the reflections of the fire will be reflected on the screen, which will interfere with the quiet viewing of your favorite programs.
The most optimal way to arrange these items is to install them on different walls, perpendicular to each other or on the same line. The sofa and armchairs are placed in front of the TV or in a circle by the fireplace, if space permits. Then the household will be able to choose a place according to their preferences.
If the size of the living room allows, you can select a special area for installing a fireplace and furniture (soft chairs, a small table). The rest of the pieces of furniture are arranged so that they do not interfere with free movement around the room and correspond to the main design idea.
It is necessary to choose a fireplace for the style of the living room of a house or apartment. Classic wood-burning fireplaces are suitable only for summer cottages and country houses. Artificial fireplaces are installed in city apartments, most often electric ones. And regardless of its type, the interior of the living room and the fireplace itself can be decorated in any style:
- Classics require finishing with natural materials. These include wood, stone, cotton fabrics, leather, furs, woolen and linen products. Various hand-made designer accessories are widely used; split-level ceilings, large windows, massive mirrors, paintings. A lighting solution is being thought out, it is possible to divide into different zones, thanks to the placement of a large number of floor lamps, lamps, chandeliers, even candles. Soft, calm shades of color are selected. often the presence of carved patterns and stucco moldings. The decoration of the fireplace is dominated by natural stone and marble.
- Provence. It is typical for him to give the fireplace a leading place. This is the style of village life, its solidity, uniqueness. It is based on the use of wood furniture, natural finishing materials (stone, brick, wood, fabrics), neutral colors. Provence style is inherent in naturalism, simple geometry in outlines. Everything should be solid, massive, but varied and not ponderous. This also applies to the decoration of the fireplace, which should be the center of the composition, standing out for its brightness and color.
- English. Creates an aura of aristocracy, solidity, comfort. Distinctive features are wide openings with massive doors, chic chandeliers with candle-shaped bulbs, the presence of stucco molding, a large number of textiles (blankets, curtains, carpets). In the decoration, preference is given to natural materials, rich shades of color from golden beige to dark green and terracotta. The fireplace helps create the atmosphere. An English fireplace is decorated with natural stone, a couple of soft massive armchairs and a small table are placed next to it. A forged fireplace set and a mantelpiece filled with original items, including statuettes, antique clocks, an ashtray, and a smoking pipe, give a chic look.
- Modern. Each piece of furniture fulfills a specific function. Artificial fireplace, built into the wall, does not attract much attention. Preference is given to a variety of false fireplaces with clear geometry.
- High tech. The fireplace can be of the most bizarre shape. Modern materials are used for decoration: refractory glass, steel, plastic.
Thanks to the variety of modern models, the fireplace can be matched to any interior style. The modern living room does not accept wood models, because they carry a touch of antiquity.
A wooden fireplace will fit well in a living room where there is parquet, laminate flooring, suitable furniture. To give the room a zest, the wall with the fireplace is decorated with shades of color contrasting with the main background, finishing materials of a different texture are chosen.
Electric and false fireplaces are often installed in drywall boxes to emphasize them. Natural stone is preferred for facing: marble, onyx, granite, travertine, shell rock, limestone, sandstone. A separate decoration can be a mantelpiece with pleasant or memorable things for the owners. It can be figurines, flowers, vases, photographs in beautiful frames, books.
Basic installation principles
Before installing a fireplace and TV, you need to familiarize yourself with some rules: it is not recommended to place the fireplace near the outer walls, because there is no need to warm the street. Therefore, it is necessary to carefully select the place to place the fireplace. You cannot lay rugs by the fireplace, regardless of its type. The same goes for the placement of furniture. The TV must be kept at a sufficient distance from open flames.
For small living rooms, you should select a gas, electric or biofireplace. To save space, the corner placement of the selected model is ideal.
The room should be well ventilated and ventilated regularly. Be sure to take into account the dimensions of the purchased fireplace and their compliance with the footage of the room where it will be installed. In order for the fireplace to perfectly fit the interior of the living room, it is necessary to think over the decorative elements for its decoration. This also applies to the TV.
Whichever type of fireplace is chosen, it will certainly bring warmth and comfort to the house, create a favorable relaxing atmosphere