Today, almost every developer tries to build houses of the highest possible number of storeys. However, the height of the building is not only the developer's benefit, but also the opportunity to buy an apartment with a great view. Often, developers specifically choose such places for residential buildings, from the top floors of which a breathtaking panorama would open.
Loggias made in the French style, where windows occupy the entire surface of the outer side, have become in demand. More and more people want to transform the apartment, adding lightness and a touch of romance to the room.
Panoramic glazing of a balcony or loggia can transform the whole apartment beyond recognition. Thanks to such glazing, more sunlight penetrates into the room. In general, the apartment becomes much brighter, and the space visually increases.
Of course, panoramic glazing should be chosen wisely. This design of a balcony or loggia is not suitable for everyone.
Of course, the main factor influencing the choice between conventional and panoramic glazing is the view. It makes no sense to make balcony windows from ceiling to floor if, for example, the balcony of an apartment faces the courtyard or onto the roadway. Perhaps the sun, green trees and birds outside the window will delight in the summer. But in the offseason, there is certainly not much to look at. Options, in which the glazing of the balcony is a win-win solution, is a view of the forest, a vast panorama of the city, a river or a reservoir.
It's another matter if the apartment is located on the 8th floor and above. Moreover, the house itself is located on a hill. In this case, even if the windows do not face the best side, they, as a rule, still open a beautiful panoramic view of the city.
The number of storeys matters not only from the side of the opening view. Many people on the lower, middle floors may not like the panoramic glazing of the balcony due to the fact that the premises are clearly visible from the street side. Agree, few people want their personal life to be examined in detail by passers-by and residents of the house opposite. Of course, as an option, you can curtain everything, but then what's the point of making panoramic glazing?
East is a delicate matter
Some people decide on panoramic glazing only because the windows face east. A beautiful image of the rising sun is drawn in their minds, slowly filling the dark morning room with rays. But don't rush. The sunrise is really a beautiful thing, especially from a bird's eye view. In winter, when there is not enough light, this can be a joy. But in summer, the sun can get too annoying.
In the warm season, the temperature in the apartment rises an order of magnitude higher with the windows facing east. With panoramic glazing, the effect is doubled. The apartment can become stuffy and hot.
The west side, on the other hand, can be a great alternative. Firstly, during the day, you can compensate for the lack of light, because the sun is on the other side at this time. Secondly, there is an opportunity to watch sunsets.
South is considered the ideal side of the world for panoramic glazing. On the southern side, the sun does not shine very much and does not give much heat, but there will be no shortage of light and warmth either.
Advantages and disadvantages
Having decided the question of whether this type of glazing is suitable, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of such a design. This will help to make a final conclusion and make a decision.
- View. Here we have already decided. The main meaning of panoramic glazing is a beautiful view from the window. Undoubtedly, panoramic glazing is far ahead compared to conventional windows.
- Shine … Panoramic windows let in more light, making the room brighter and more beautiful. This can be attributed, albeit a small, but still the saving of electricity, due to a longer and greater influx of light from the outside.
- Style. Undoubtedly, even if it is deep night outside, your friends and acquaintances will appreciate the presence of panoramic windows at your true worth. This type of glazing of the loggia automatically raises the prestige of the room. It is possible that friends will want to visit you in the afternoon, appreciating the view from such windows.
- Visual increase in area … Transparent glass looks light compared to conventional balcony trim. Running along the entire height and width of the outer wall, they undoubtedly visually expand the space.
- Price … Let's start with the obvious. The cost of such a structure is much more expensive compared to the usual finishing of the balcony. Delivery and installation work is more complicated. From all this, a considerable cost of the entire structure as a whole is obtained. It is rather difficult to determine exactly how much panoramic glazing will be more expensive. The type of windows plays a role here, additional improvements, such as automatic opening of windows for ventilation.
- Maintaining cleanliness … A significant drawback of panoramic glazing. Windows are quite susceptible to dirt and not easy to clean. Tall ceiling-to-floor windows make this task even more challenging. At a minimum, you will have to stock up on special tools that allow you to reach the most inaccessible areas. In some cases, the services of special companies that wash windows at height may be required. And of course, time. Cleaning these windows takes a long time. Often for this reason, people refuse panoramic glazing.
- Excessive transparency. As mentioned earlier, the panorama outside the window gives an open view to those who are outside the window. It is difficult to find advantages in this, there are definitely disadvantages. Everyone can contemplate your personal life.
- Mosquitoes. A possible disadvantage of panoramic windows is the impossibility of installing a mosquito net. This question is not relevant for all apartment owners. For example, starting from the fifth floor, mosquitoes and flies, if they fly in, are rare.
- Noise … As a rule, you can forget about good sound insulation. Panoramic glazing is inherently very thin and does not cope well with this task. If you use special glasses and technologies, then you can spend an unreasonable amount of money.
Of course, the list of advantages and disadvantages of panoramic glazing is endless. Everyone looks at it from a different angle. For this reason, reviews of panoramic glazing are hesitant.
We have analyzed only the main points in order to have an idea of what panoramic glazing can bring to its owners.
Along with the pros and cons, there are important nuances of this design. There are quite a few options for the execution of panoramic glazing.
The first thing worth mentioning is security. Few people think that the balcony slab has a weight limit, which many do not comply with at all. Some will say that this is nonsense and have never heard balconies fall. But there were still cases. The permissible weight on the balcony slab is prescribed in building codes and regulations, in the column "loads and impacts".
When ordering the installation of panoramic glazing, you should know in advance the final weight of the structure. To this should be added the weight of people, floor finishing, possible furniture, which will be located directly on the balcony slab itself. Beauty is beauty, but your own safety is more important than any view outside the window.
To demolish the wall or not?
An extensive topic for discussion is the issue of demolition / abandonment of the wall between the room and the balcony. Many people want to demolish the opening with a door and a window with panoramic glazing of the balcony. Thus, the main room merges with the balcony and the usable area increases by an order of magnitude. The panorama outside the window, the abundance of light in the room, the gorgeous view of the room - all this looks impressive.
However, demolition of the wall will not always bring the desired effect. First of all, you should think about the heat costs for heating the room. It is clear that such a question does not arise for people living in the southern regions. A warm room will be warm almost at any time of the year, regardless of the balcony wall. But what to do if the idea to connect a panoramic balcony and a room came to mind of a resident of the northern part of the country? It should be understood that panoramic glass does not hold back heat well and therefore, it is difficult to achieve a warm room with such windows.
The way out of the situation can be thick glass, massive floors. But this increases the weight of the structure, the style and effect are lost.
And having abandoned the demolition of the dividing walls, it is possible to zone the balcony, to make a beautiful finish that is different from the main design of the room.
Types of glasses, their fastening
Glasses can be different. They vary in thickness and physical properties. For example, you can make thin glass from heavy-duty glass to create a frameless structure. Glasses will be inserted into the frames only from the top and bottom. There will also be runners along which they move to open. There will be no frames between the glasses themselves. In this case, the structure will take on a light appearance and create the illusion of the absence of obstacles between the beholder and the opening panorama.
The same effect can be created for the lower part of panoramic glazing. A thin frame is made between the upper, higher and lower windows. The main weight is distributed over the frame and glass underneath.
You need to understand that the fewer secondary structures to support the glass there are, the greater the cost of panoramic glazing. It is more difficult to build such a structure, and the glasses themselves are more expensive.
The most common option is ordinary glazing with plastic windows in frames, fastened into a single structure. In conditions of temperature difference, this is the only correct option.
A significant contribution to the cost of a ready-made structure can be made by tint coating and automatic ventilation systems. Tinting is done to protect against excessive sun rays in summer, but is quite expensive. Automatic ventilation systems are designed to maintain optimal temperatures in summer and winter.
Style and decoration of the room
Correct finishing of a balcony or loggia can double the effect of a panoramic view. You can create an urban style interior, a kind of study with a laptop table, metallic walls and loft-style lamps. This is perfect for those who have windows overlooking the city.
Or, on the contrary, make wood trim in soft colors and put wicker chairs, a small tea table. This will allow the balcony to be used as a relaxation room. Together with a view of the river or the forest, you get just a gorgeous combination.
As for the materials, absolutely everything will do. You can use clapboard or wood to provide a warm floor covering, and lay decorative stone on the wall. The most expensive option is decorative plaster, but with its help you can create a truly unusual design.