Drying clothes is an integral part of the household. There are many different methods of drying, but thanks to the invention of more and more devices, this process is simplified. Now it is carried out with the help of various types of dryers.
The issue of the space occupied by the dryer is acute from the point of view of the occupied space - for example, if you need to dry not only clothes and towels, but a sheet or a set, you need a lot of it - the device can take up half a room and even more, which makes the balcony an ideal place for their location …
However, everything here is not as simple as it might seem at first glance. As you know, fresh air helps to dry quickly - but this is almost the only thing that makes drying easier. If you just hang clothes on a regular clothesline, various contaminants can get on it - small debris, cigarette butts, dust, etc. (if the balcony or loggia is not glazed). Moreover, it is not very aesthetically pleasing, because the linen will be on display.
The solution to this problem was a ceiling dryer on the balcony for linen. Nowadays it is very popular due to the following advantages:
- Do not interfere with movement;
- Withstand very heavy loads (up to 30 kg);
- The laundry dries faster because the heat rises up (and not vice versa if the dryer is floor-standing);
- Easy to install (easy to install or hang);
- The ability to mount on almost any surface.
There are a number of different models of ceiling dryers - different in terms of size, device (mechanical or electronic), material of execution (plastic, wood, etc.), principle of installation (removable or stationary) and method of attachment (to the floor or to the ceiling). To choose the right model of a ceiling dryer, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Dimensions of the room where you want to install the dryer;
- The material of the surface to which the dryer will be attached;
- What exactly to dry on it - large / small things and their material;
- Installation features;
- Complete set - what is included and not included in the dryer installation kit.
Ceiling tumble dryers are of the following types:
- Hanging mesh
The simplest balcony ceiling dryers are small round or square frames made of plastic and metal, decorated with hooks around the perimeter. Visually, they resemble chandeliers with glass decorations. Designed for drying small items such as socks, underwear or hand towels. However, they have some disadvantages - it is better not to opt for a plastic dryer. Due to their fragile structure, they can fall even in a weak breeze.
With polymer mesh
The next type is a dryer with a polymer mesh. Due to the perforation, the mesh allows air to pass through well, moreover, it is possible to completely expand the drying object on it. It is designed for drying heavy items such as woolen sweaters or puffy jackets. Dryers of such a plan can have one or more tiers (i.e. polymer nets stretched over a plastic frame). The disadvantage is a plastic hook, which is not the best mounting option due to the low strength of the material. One of the most popular models is from the Canadian company Niklen.
The next model is traverse dryers. They are suspended from the ceiling through ropes using special mechanisms (traverses).Unlike the two previous models, their hooks are made of metal, and the base is made of wood, which provides more reliable protection (there are models completely made of metal). One point must be taken into account - the linen must be hung in such a way that the structure remains in balance. This model is quite difficult to install, but it can withstand heavy loads and looks aesthetically pleasing.
The dryer of the "Liana" type does not contain the disadvantages of the described models. Liana consists of several crossbars, located independently of each other in the form of a cascade, equipped with a lifting and lowering system. However, in this case, one crossbar does not overlap the other, with the correct setting of the dryer, you can set the required distance between them.
In addition, you don't have to think about the weight of your clothes, thanks to the strong cables on which the crossbars are attached. If you need to dry a small amount of clothes, the unused crossbars can be "rolled up" - for this, pull on a special rope or rod, which are regulated by a special roller mechanism. A dryer of this type can also be made and installed on your own - it has a relatively simple design.
Science advances - it's no surprise that electric dryers have been invented. They are controlled by a remote control. It regulates the raising / lowering, as well as the illumination, which is equipped with many similar dryers. They can be installed both on open balconies and on glazed ones under almost any weather conditions - the operating range is from - 40 to 50 degrees Celsius. Another advantage is that some models are equipped with special hair dryers that increase the drying speed and ultraviolet lamps with a sterilization function.
Other models of ceiling dryers:
- Tubular dryer
- Dryer - Beach Style Paddle
- Dryer-crossbar on special adjustable cables (wooden, metal, etc.)
So how do you find the optimal dryer model? Or will it be easier to make and install it yourself?
When buying a product, the kit will not always include the necessary parts, so it is important to know which of them to purchase additionally. As a rule, detailed instructions are not attached - only measurement diagrams and basic technical characteristics.
You cannot do without these tools when installing any structures:
- A pen
When choosing, it is important to take into account the number of people who will use it and the available amount of free space - for this it is recommended to first measure the area of the balcony. Common length options are from 50 to 100 cm, but there are also models of two meters.
Advantages and disadvantages of materials of manufacture
- Aluminum is a lightweight and durable material, but it tends to oxidize and can leave dark stains on clothing. Not suitable for heavy loads;
- Polymer-coated stainless materials are the noblest material: it has a long service life, does not rust and can be easily washed from any contamination. Moreover, they fit perfectly into any interior;
- Plastic is a lightweight and inexpensive material designed for very light loads;
- A rope is a simple and inexpensive material, but it has many drawbacks - it frays, leaves dust on clothes, loses its shape over time and acquires an unaesthetic pitchfork - old ropes will need to be replaced;
- Wood dryers are a type of dryers that are most often made by hand. They are easy to use and fit perfectly into the eco-style, but wood tends to wear out over time.
Features of various designs
- Wall-mounted with a suspended structure - low price, ease of assembly, compactness, withstand weight up to 7 kg;
- Wall-ceiling dryers (lift) - almost universal, they can withstand a weight of up to 20 kg;
- Dryers with a floor structure - compact, high capacity, lightweight;
- Electric dryers - installed and switched on anywhere, can be used as a heater.
The most popular manufacturers
As with all household appliances, the cost of drying often depends on the name of the company and the countries where they were produced. So, Chinese models - the most budgetary, Turkish, German or Italian - the most expensive quality ones. When choosing a product, it is recommended to pay attention to the following brands:
- Leifheit (Germany) is a born leader of the Russian market. The models are made of durable plastic, are easy to use and serve for a long time. It is important to note the Leifheit Telefix 100 electric dryer, which has received extremely positive feedback from customers.
- Italian companies Meliconi, Gimi Lift. The wall-ceiling Gimi Lift 160 is a budgetary and easy-to-use model, which made it a bestseller in the Russian market - the reviews indicate the complete correspondence of price to quality: durable material, reliable fasteners, enameled metal. It is noteworthy that the name of the model repeats the real length of the dryer - it is 160 cm.
- Alcona models are the most versatile of the electric dryers range. With a 30 kg load limit and remote control, they are equipped with steel cables and have a number of interesting additional features.
For proper fastening of the dryer to the ceiling, you can follow the recommendations given on the example of mounting a retractable model to a concrete base.
- Clean the surface of the ceiling from dirt;
- Attach the mount perpendicular to the wall, mark the drilling sites with a pencil or chalk;
- Measure the distance from the marks equal to the length of the crossbars;
- Attach the second fastener parallel to the first and make similar marks;
- The bracket should have two holes on different sides at a distance of 7-10 cm.
- At the points, holes are drilled through the lining into the concrete base;
- The bracket is attached, screwed with anchor bolts.
- The crossbars are placed in the holes of the side plates, the plugs are screwed on, the structure is fixed;
- The cord is passed through all the necessary holes, passed through the brackets, a knot is tied;
- Installation of the retainer, control check of lowering / raising the dryer.
This installation principle is universal, minor changes may be related to the peculiarities of the fastening surface. For example, with a stretch ceiling in the necessary places, you will need to use a self-adhesive material - to preserve the canvas.
How to do it yourself
Wooden traverse dryer
For manufacturing, you will need: a perforator, the required number of round wooden slats (diameter 25-30 mm), 2 bars 5x5 cm (60-65 cm), feather drills, two self-tapping screws (with rings), a rope, dowels, two pieces, a grinder and a special nozzle with grinding function.
- Step back 5 cm from the ends, drill 5 identical holes in the bars evenly over the area of the rails so that the distance between them is 10 cm;
- Fasten the workpiece;
- Grind and clean the beams, varnish and then dry;
Installation and securing
- Tie the beams and slats at both ends of the dryer with the same length of ropes. Connect the slats together in such a way that a triangle is formed;
- Pull the rope through the triangles and tie a knot, thread it through the ring fasteners.
You will need: two parts of a stainless steel pipe (diameter 20-30 mm), a wooden block with a diameter of 6-8 cm, divided into 4 parts, several metal springs (preferably at least 5), a strong rope.
- Make holes for the pipe in the center of the beams;
- Fix them at the ends of the pipes;
- Make holes along the entire length of the beams for the ropes (every 10-15 cm);
Installation and securing
- Fasten the bars with pipes opposite each other;
- At a distance of 50 cm from the pipes, exactly under the holes in the metal pipes;
- Insert self-tapping screws into the holes, tie the springs to them;
The design of the lower part should be treated with the utmost care - if it does not look aesthetically pleasing, if necessary, you can mask it with a decorative panel.