Balcony floor tiles are one of the best flooring options for such an aggressive environment, especially if your balcony is unheated or not glazed at all.
Tile is a fairly durable finishing material. She is not afraid of moisture or strong temperature changes, which are not uncommon even on glazed balconies. Therefore, this material is so often used on the balcony.
- Tiled flooring is not afraid of water, that is, snow and rain will not destroy it, and the correct type of tile will not allow you to slip.
- This coating is easy to care for, it is easy to wash it, and dirt from the balcony will not be drawn into the apartment.
- A wide variety of ornaments and colors will help you choose it according to your desires and for any interior.
- The tiles can be easily mounted on a "warm floor".
There are several options for floor tiles, but are they all suitable for laying on a balcony?
Ceramic tile. It is composed of clay, sand and water. This type has several types, but the material with a single firing is suitable for the floor. It is more reliable. Ceramic tiles are made in a huge variety of colors and patterns. But a glossy finish is unlikely to work here. It is slippery and with the accumulated condensation, which is often the case on cold balconies, you can fall on it. Therefore, it is better to choose a rough surface here
Porcelain stoneware. This type of flooring is very strong and durable, it can withstand heavy loads. Perfect even for non-glazed balconies, as porcelain stoneware tiles are frost-resistant. But still, if your bay window is open, it is better to lay an anti-slip coating on it
Clinker tiles. It copes well with changes in temperature and humidity. Its properties are not inferior to porcelain stoneware. It has a different shape, which will help to create an original covering on the floor of your balcony. But the colors are mainly in beige and burgundy. It is rare to find clinker with an interesting pattern, if you can find one at all
Cotto tiles. By its appearance and parameters, it is very similar to the previous view. But it has a greater variety of shapes and textures, with which you can create a very original floor on your balcony
When choosing finishing materials for the floor on the balcony, it is worth paying great attention to the weight of the selected coating. Because the design of the bay window, especially if it is glazed with plastic double-glazed windows, may not support the additional heavy weight of the floor. This is especially true for homes that have a lifespan of more than 30 years.
There is also a large selection of types of styling. And from the way in which the tiled floor is laid, you can give the floor and the balcony as a whole a very non-standard look
- Classical. All floor elements are laid parallel to the wall. In this way, it is not difficult to lay the coating yourself. The main thing is to observe the clear lines of the tile joints and their width, and this is not difficult to do with the help of special beacons.
- Diagonal. This will require additional consumption of tiles, since the extreme elements will have to be cut. This type is difficult to lay, a certain skill is required. But such a coating will visually help increase the area of the balcony.
- In a runaway. With this method, the flooring is laid in the form of brickwork - a very original way. It is better to use rectangular tiles here, although squares will look good. It can be placed on the floor both horizontally and diagonally.
- Herringbone.This type of installation imitates parquet, looks good if the tile has a wood-like pattern.
- Chess. Tiles of two colors are used. It is laid out like a chessboard. Usually the first or the second is chosen here.
- Kaleidoscope. Here you can create different patterns on the floor with the help of different shades of the coating. The main thing is to correctly combine colors and textures to get a single composition.
You can also lay tiles on the floor with your own hands, especially if you are not going to make a panel on the floor.
For the classic styling method, you will need:
- building level;
- mallet (rubber hammer);
- tile cutter;
- notched and ordinary spatulas;
- a clean sponge and a small rubber trowel for grouting;
- beacons for laying tiles;
- tile adhesive;
First, you need to clean the floor from dust and debris. This is best done with a vacuum cleaner. If you are going to install a warm floor, then it is imperative to insulate it and put a layer of waterproofing so that the electrical wiring does not close from moisture.
Then the electric heating is laid, the surface is leveled and primed. Leave until the floor is completely dry. This takes about 72 hours.
To prepare the glue, you need to use the instructions on the package. It is better to add glue to water, and not vice versa. This is due to the fact that it will be easier to mix it and there will be no dry, unmixed mixture at the bottom, and there will be more moisture in the lower layers, which will prolong the drying time of the glue in the container. After the first batch, wait 10 minutes and stir the glue again. This will give him a great deal of adhesion.
Laying starts from the far corner. Apply the glue to the floor and the tiles themselves. We glue one sample to the floor and make the markings. Draw two perpendicular lines relative to the sides of the tile. In this way, you will clearly align the rows. Next, lay out the tiles in order. At the same time, check the evenness of the laying with the building level and, if necessary, tap with a mallet. During installation, the adhesive should be applied to the floor covering an area larger than the tile size. After the coating is completely laid, it is necessary to wait until the glue dries.
The final stage is grouting. The mixture can be matched either to the color of the flooring or to create a contrast. The second option will help to visually expand the balcony space.
We grout with a rubber spatula, it will help fill in all the grooves in the tile joints. All excess is removed with a damp sponge. It is necessary to wait until the solution is well dry, then wash the floor covering.
Choosing a floor tile on a balcony, you get not only a practical covering, but also with the help of it you can create very extraordinary floors in such a small area.