Balconies allow their spaces to be used to expand rooms or place them inside various interior attributes. The only obstacle to the realization of such a desire may be climatic conditions. They solve this problem with the help of insulation and interior decoration of the room. This allows not only to give it a pleasant design, but also to significantly reduce heat loss, which is very important in modern conditions.
Balcony glazing is one of the first steps to be taken during renovation work. This design will protect the home from external influences and maintain an optimal indoor climate.
Cold glazing can be organized using several materials:
Wood… Window frames made of this substance can be either single or double, but this does not always allow increasing thermal insulation. Structures of this type are not very popular, since in order to maintain an optimal state, the tree must be periodically treated with protective agents (paint, varnish, etc.). If this is not done, then this will lead to the appearance of cracks and loss of tightness by the frame, followed by drafts, moisture, etc.
Still, wooden windows have their own advantages, among which are high decorative properties and safety of the material for the human body.
Metal glazing involves the use of steel frames that hold the glass unit. To increase the tightness, special sealing rubber bands are installed at the joints. The metal is no longer so whimsical and needs to be processed much less often. This makes it possible to operate such structures for several decades. The disadvantages include an unpresentable appearance and the inability to maintain the temperature regime in a certain range.
Aluminum… A profile made of such a metal is perfect for the formation of window frames, since it practically does not undergo oxidation. This eliminates painting or other protective measures. Such systems are very attractive. Many balcony owners perform glazing only with such products. The aluminum profile allows you to organize not only opening, but also sliding doors of different sizes.
Warm constructions as a guarantee of comfort
Many apartment owners today are trying to re-equip a balcony or loggia for living quarters. This allows you to place there not only conservation, but also a bed, TV or other types of furniture.
Warm glazing can be organized using the following materials:
Aluminum profile. To increase the thermal insulation characteristics of the frame made of this metal, manufacturers equip it with additional insulating materials. These inserts help to avoid cold bridges along the entire perimeter of the window. A two- or three-layer glass unit can already be installed in such a frame.
Reinforced plastic profile. PVC windows are distinguished by high rates of heat retention. They are used to maintain the temperature regime on the balcony at the same level as in the main room.In the manufacture of a plastic profile, metal inserts are used, which significantly increase the strength and allow you to give the frame a complex shape of non-standard dimensions.
The disadvantages of plastic glazing include the relatively large weight of the structure. This leads to the fact that such structures can only be installed on solid bases made of concrete, metal profiles, etc.
Frameless designs: practicality and unique design
A type of cold glazing is windows that do not have vertical support elements. The frameless structure consists of several main elements:
- Top and bottom profiles. Such elements are made of aluminum. The shape and size of the structure depends on the dimensions of the balcony room. Some modifications allow installing such windows even on perimeters of irregular geometric shape (semicircle, trapezoid, etc.).
- Glass. For such window structures, special reinforced materials are used that are able to withstand significant wind and other types of physical stress.
- Closers, rollers, stops, etc. These elements are used to equip practical systems. This makes it possible to exclude accidental damage to the sash during closing.
Balconies with panoramic glazing are very beautiful designs that allow you to increase the luminous flux into the house. In winter, the operation of such systems is difficult, since the ingress of moisture can lead to freezing of the shutters. Such glazing is often used as a decorative element. Frameless glass is a unique opportunity to organize a summer garden on the balcony and turn the room into small tropics.
Warm glazing of balconies and finishing will not always bring a positive effect if you do not take care of the insulation of all other surfaces. Today, experts recommend using several different materials to solve such problems:
- Penoplex… This substance is very easy to process and at the same time retains heat with high quality. Can be used for both interior and exterior decoration. It is not able to retain its properties when exposed to sunlight, therefore it needs additional finishing.
- Isover is a type of mineral wool. Available in rolls or sheets. The material is characterized by very good indicators of sound and heat insulation, and also has a low weight, which makes it easier to work with.
- Polyurethane foam… They are used to seal cracks, since the substance adheres well and, at the same time, practically does not lend itself to combustion.
- Expanded polystyrene (styrodur). These products have similar properties, but cannot withstand exposure to sunlight. Stirodur is distinguished by significant strength and thermal insulation characteristics.
- Penofol… The product is obtained by applying polyethylene foam to metal foil. This material perfectly reflects heat and does not allow cold streams to enter the house. Very often it is used in tandem with penoplex, where they are laid in several layers.
We decorate the walls
Finishing work on the balcony involves the protection of surfaces with special materials, among which several main products can be distinguished:
Paint… Painting walls is one of the easiest ways to give them a specific look. Suitable only for pre-aligned walls or in the case of combining several design approaches
Lining… Products in this category are practical and simple. Today on the market you can find lining made of wood or plastic. This allows you to create unique interiors that are easy to maintain. The advantages of these products include ease of installation, since this process can be handled even without experience
Please note that finishing with such materials is possible only in the presence of warm glazing, since the substances are quickly destroyed by changes in temperature and humidity.
Decorative stone (clinker tiles).Such products are distinguished not only by their beautiful design, but also by their high practicality. The material is perfectly washable, is able to withstand significant temperature changes and is not afraid of ultraviolet radiation. It is possible to carry out interior decoration with decorative stone, both with warm and cold glazing
Drywall… This material is used only in warm rooms. Experts recommend to carry out interior decoration only with the help of moisture-resistant types of drywall. Once installed, this material can be covered with other decorative products such as bamboo wallpaper, etc
Decorative plaster… This approach to wall decoration has appeared relatively recently, but has already won many positive reviews. These coatings are characterized by a significant service life, practicality and unique design properties. It is very easy to care for the plaster, and if it is necessary to restore its condition, the walls can be simply painted. The disadvantages of this approach include only the high cost of materials and surface formation
The floor on the balcony plays one of the important roles, therefore, they are also very attentive to its arrangement. Depending on the microclimate on the balcony, its base can be built using several types of materials:
- For cold rooms, experts recommend using coatings such as self-leveling or concrete floors. These substances perfectly tolerate frost without losing their basic properties. In some cases, you can equip the base with ceramic tiles or natural stone. It is imperative to use only temperature-resistant materials and binders for them.
- Balcony floors with warm glazing can be made using a variety of materials. But many owners prefer wooden bases. For this, a crate is initially formed, inside which a heater is additionally placed. Then boards are already attached to the logs, which are sanded and painted upon completion.
If you want to use parquet or laminate, you just need to equip the base from moisture-resistant plywood or OSB sheets. Regardless of the selected wood-based material, such surfaces significantly increase the thermal insulation characteristics. Please note that such a floor is also pleasant to the touch and does not need additional coating, unlike tiles.
We form the ceiling
The finishing of these surfaces is done in many ways, which depend on the temperature regime on the balcony. If the balcony is cold, then paint can be used as finishing materials.
In the case of warm rooms, there are a few more options. The easiest way is painting or finishing with drywall sheets. When you need to create a unique design, then you can resort to installing plastic or decorative lining, bamboo, etc. Regardless of what material you use in finishing, you need to evaluate its technical characteristics and take into account the reviews of people who have already used similar substances.
Glazing and finishing of a balcony is a complex process, therefore, only experienced specialists should be entrusted with its implementation, who will do everything much faster and better than amateurs.