Thinking about decorating a balcony or loggia? Flowers are the best solution! Under the guidance of some rules and your own imagination, you can create a unique flower corner in your home.
Features and benefits of design
In order for the flower balcony to turn out exactly as you intended it, it is necessary to take into account several nuances: microclimate, neighborhood, etc. When planting your favorite flowers on the balcony, do not forget about their features, because each plant requires different conditions for growth. Someone loves the bright sun, while others do not mind living in the shade. The same goes for temperature and humidity.
It is also worth asking before planting which plants can live with their “neighbors” and who prefers to grow alone. A striking example of a "individual peasant" is a handsome dahlia. But the modest marigolds, on the contrary, are distinguished by special friendliness, besides, they are excellent defenders of the garden from a variety of pests.
What to plant
All plants that have ever been planted on balconies can be divided into three types:
From the names it is clear how each type differs. The variety of colors has virtually no boundaries. The choice is huge, so you can plant any flowers you like on the loggia or balcony. However, there are several nuances that should be considered when planting a particular plant. If you wish, you can build a mini vegetable garden, with the help of which the landscaping of the loggia will be a success. In addition, you can get a good harvest in the form of herbs and some vegetables.
There are many plants that love sun and warmth. Therefore, for an open balcony on the sunny side, the choice is huge. This includes the fast-growing annuals, for which the east side is ideal during summer.
Avid gardeners recommend planting climbing plants such as morning glory on the sunny side. The main thing is to fix the boxes correctly so that the flowers braid the desired territory. But the gardeners give the first place to the beautiful petunia, whose color range is so huge that everyone will find a flower to their liking. It is quite simple to care for her, and she pleases with lush flowering for a very long time.
Unpretentious marigolds are no less popular. They, like petunias, are very diverse: they differ in height, shades and density of the flower. The rose takes root very well on the balcony. However, she needs proper seating and grooming. If you follow all the rules, then you can enjoy your own grown roses, which are a hundred times more beautiful than store roses.
On a sunny balcony, it is better to plant low-growing plants such as calendula, nasturtium, some types of asters, zinnias and dahlias. Bright clematis looks very attractive.
You can combine business with pleasure and plant greens on the balcony: oregano, balsam, thyme, mint, etc. If you have a closed balcony, then seedlings will settle on it no worse than any flower for a while.
A balcony in the shade is not a reason to give up a flower garden. Many flowers love shade and partial shade, so the north side can be decorated as well as any other. In addition, in such conditions, indoor plants can be planted on the balcony: most bulbs and large plants such as Monstera, Myrtle, Ficus and ferns.
Many people think that shade-tolerant plants do not have lush flowers, but this is not the case.A very bright shade-loving representative is Begonia. It blooms for 5 months; loves fertile and moist soil very much. Ampelous species of this flower are especially good. Since they do not tolerate heat and perfectly decorate shady areas. An equally bright representative of the shadow is Fuchsia.
Also, do not forget about annuals, which are unpretentious: nasturtium, petunia, marigolds, calendula and forget-me-nots. And if you are a lover of bright aromas, then you definitely need to plant cloves, verbena, alissum or levkoy on the western side in improvised beds.
The winter garden is the dream of many women. If you wish, you can create your own green corner on a closed balcony. Even having a small loggia area, you can place a large number of different plants, the main thing is to choose the right species and create all the necessary conditions.
A loggia or a heated terrace is ideal for a winter garden. If you plan to grow warm enough plants, then the space must be supplied with additional lighting and heating devices. In this case, the choice of the type of plants grown will be huge.
How beautiful to put
It is not enough to choose beautiful plants, you also need to choose a beautiful container in which you can plant the plants. Drawers and pots can be used to decorate the façade in an interesting way. Bright flower pots and containers in the art style are a decoration that will not fade against the background of flowering plants.
How, where and what to place, you need to decide in advance, in order to end up with not just a bunch of pots of flowers, but a beautiful blooming composition. Long before planting, draw a plan for the future garden on a large sheet. Choose for each plant its own corner in which it will be comfortable. It is important that the plants do not interfere with each other:
- Lianas will be comfortable against one of the walls;
- Summer plants in small boxes can be beautifully placed against the background of a canvas of vines;
- Large plants in round boxes can be safely placed in all corners;
- Cannes, zinnias, dahlias and gladioli can be distributed along the entire length of the balcony.
There are many interesting options for placing flowers on a covered balcony. Each of them can be written separately.
A very compact and easy way to place a maximum of pots and boxes of flowers on the balcony. The shelves can be made in any size, and they can be placed at different levels at a distance from each other. It is more convenient to arrange large plants at the bottom, and at the top it is best to put pots with ampelous flowers.
Which container to use? Any. For shelves, it is better to choose oblong boxes or small planters. The boxes can be made by yourself, taking into account the size of the shelves. If desired and possible, you can make real shelving along all free walls. In this case, there will be plenty of space for plants.
Cloth "with pockets"
A very interesting option for placing flowers on the balcony. Best suited for open spaces, because it looks original and attracts attention. To build this structure with your own hands, you need to purchase a dense canvas commensurate with the balcony wall and sew pockets of the same dense material onto it at different distances from each other. After that, the canvas is securely fixed on the wall, and pots or bags with flowers are inserted into the pockets.
Trellis usually consist of a strong mesh or numerous intertwined cords perpendicular to each other. This option is ideal for climbing plants such as morning glory, tunbergia, maurandia, etc.
A variant suitable for both plain and curly flowers. In specialized stores, you can purchase stands that have several tiers and additional guide supports for loaches.
This design most likely resembles an ordinary cabinet, which has many open drawers.Despite its massiveness, it is very convenient to use, as it allows you to place a maximum of plants. To prevent the cabinet from looking rough and out of place, it can be decorated or disguised.
A few tips for placing and growing balcony plants:
- Choose boxes and pots of medium size: in small containers, the earth dries quickly, and flowers very quickly become uncomfortable, large pots take up too much space and mold often starts in them due to waterlogging.
- Balcony boxes with a holder are very ergonomic to use, since they can be fixed not only on the wall, but also under the balcony "pocket", which will significantly save space. To make reliable hanging boxes you need a bracket and the right hands.
- You can grow flowers on the balcony in summer in a variety of ways. But there are no less accommodation options. Numerous shelves and racks, which are easy to do with your own hands, are very practical in operation.
- Want to create a vibrant balcony like no other? Then you need to decorate your balcony. This can be done not only through flowers, but also with the help of containers for them. Make versatile shelves or purchase multi-tiered stands and plant in them a mixture of the brightest ampelous plants that coexist with each other, which have lush "hair".
- Do you want to make drawers and shelves yourself? Then don't forget about their safety. Before you start using them, cover every centimeter with a protective layer of special impregnation or ordinary paint.
- For shelves and drawers, choose a paint shade that is much lighter than the flowers, or something neutral. All shades of green are ideal. Using a similar trick, the boxes can be easily hidden against the backdrop of blooming greenery.
Do what you love without haste and with special attention, and let your home flower garden please you and passers-by.
In order for the flower garden to please you every day, it is necessary to take care of it correctly and in a timely manner:
- Watering. The main point in growing any plant. On the sunny side, flowers need more moisture than their shade-loving counterparts. If the balcony is on the north side, then certain types of flowers can do without watering. It is also worth considering the type of balcony: on an open balcony in cloudy weather, flowers are not watered, and in a glazed balcony, watering is simply necessary regardless of what is happening on the street.
- Fertilizer. Each species requires its own rate and type of feeding. But all flowers have one thing in common: you need to add fertilizer only in the second half of the day, when the activity of the sun decreases. But it's best to feed the flowers on cloudy days.
- Protection. Insects are the main enemies of any flower garden, regardless of its location. It is very important from time to time to carry out the prevention of infection with the help of special means.
- Microclimate. If everything is clear with an open balcony (the temperature on it is the same as on the street), then with a loggia the situation is completely different. The temperature in the glassed-in flower garden heats up significantly in the summer, so indoor plants and even flowers from southern countries can be grown there. Care for them needs special and thorough, because even the slightest failure in temperature or humidity can destroy the plant.
Follow simple rules and enjoy your success.
Interesting ideas in interior design
Often, gardeners and gardeners create real masterpieces on their balconies and loggias. What is the secret of their success? The thing is that they choose the right plants, combining horizontal and vertical arrangement.
Do you want to get even a little closer to the skill of professionals? Then learn to create compositions from balcony flowers, combining the right types, colors, sizes and shapes of flowers. And we will show some striking examples in the photo:
- A small balcony with the same type of flowers in red looks very bright and unusual. Red is a symbol of the holiday, so this seemingly nondescript balcony has turned into a piece of summer.
- Large bright balcony, lavishly decorated with ampelous plants in pink shades.
- The most decorated balcony of an ordinary apartment. Almost all color placement options can be found in this design. As for the shades, there is no strong overload: red, pink, white and a little yellow.
- A vivid example of how you can stylishly decorate your balcony with one type of plant. Petunia is the favorite of many. In this photo, she is presented in all her glory.
- This balcony probably belongs to lovers of juicy green shades, as it is buried in gorgeous luxurious foliage of a variety of colors. Here you can see trellises, pots on brackets and hanging boxes. Slight overload in quantity, but overall it looks nice.
- A good example of how you can beautifully arrange flowers on a closed balcony. A small covered balcony in a standard apartment is very cozy and uncluttered.
Give birth to your own ideas and create your own unique flower garden. Make the most of the available space and pay special attention to each flower. Let your balcony become a place of tranquility and contemplation of floral beauty.