A rack on the balcony is a modern solution for organizing space. He creates comfort and order on the loggia. A properly selected wardrobe with shelves structures and systematizes a small room. It can store various small things, car tires, canned food, and can also be used as a stand for flowers. Choose an open or closed system, taking into account the interior of the balcony.
The main advantages of shelving on the balcony are the ability to increase the space and organize rarely used things in one place. With its help, you can solve many problems, including maintaining order on the balcony, storing seasonal items, tools, placing indoor flowers, growing greenery, and using it as a pantry.
The shelving is the beginning of the overall balcony design. If you are creative in the design of the loggia, you can turn it into an interesting cozy space. An open or closed cabinet with shelves is a multifunctional item. Many interior designers advise using it to store your home library, clothing, seedlings, or other items and things. Its content depends on the idea of the interior.
Advantages of the shelving on the balcony - saves space, takes up little space, looks beautiful and neat, fits harmoniously into any style. The design can be made independently from available materials, so it is also inexpensive.
The most common types of balcony furniture are made of metal and wood. Metal structures are durable and resistant to any weather conditions, but they are more expensive. Wooden cabinets are cheaper and environmentally friendly. They must be installed in a dry place and are therefore ideal for enclosed balconies
- Metal. A durable design perfect for storing seedlings, potted flowers or tools. It fits perfectly into the interior of a balcony in a loft or high-tech style, and will well emphasize the idea of minimalism. If you want the metal cabinet to last as long as possible, cover the surface with a special paint that will prevent the appearance of rust. It is corrosion that can cause rapid destruction.
- Plastic. A popular material that has excellent qualities. It is durable, looks neat, and is inexpensive and lightweight. He is not afraid of moisture and corrosion, however, plastic does not tolerate high temperatures, it can melt and deform in direct sunlight. If the structure is made of plastic, keep it away from the heating source.
- Wooden. Natural wood construction is environmentally friendly and looks beautiful. If the shelving is made of a dark material, the interior can be done in white. Bright details are accentuated by an open wooden cabinet. For example, beautiful curtains or interesting accessories. A wooden structure should be placed on a closed balcony, otherwise it may deteriorate under the influence of external factors.
Do you want your rack to last a long time? Pay attention to the requirements for these designs. They must be strong, safe, moisture resistant and of a suitable size. If the balcony is insulated, the structure can be built from chipboard. Remember that this material absorbs moisture well and deforms quickly.
The cabinet should be placed in such a way that it does not interfere with movement and does not obscure the windows. If there is high humidity on the balcony, a protective paint must be applied to the metal parts, which will prevent corrosion. Wooden structures must be varnished. For a balcony, plastic open cabinets, made of veneered sheets or glass, are perfect.
If you want to install a rack on the balcony, give preference to one of several options. Open shelves are perfect for a balcony. This is a traditional cabinet mounted along the balcony wall. The shelves are fixed with brackets. It is best to store workpieces, food, things in such cabinets.
Low structures are usually located around the perimeter. The top is used as a shelf, table top, or seating area. This option is perfect for a non-glazed balcony. Open corner wardrobe, as well as with doors - spacious and ergonomic design. Well suited for installation on a loggia. Corner shelves are attached with brackets to two adjacent shelves.
Built-in shelving is a convenient option that is often mounted on a loggia. The niches of this simple design are filled with open shelves. They can be made from planks, wood clapboard, plastic remnants, door frames and other materials. The shelves must be strong and not sag under the weight of objects.
Classic designs are open cabinets with shelves that are hung along the walls. They can be placed anywhere on the balcony. The main drawback of the design is that it will take a lot of material to create it. Low shelving units are not wall hung, but floor mounted. A reasonably low model can additionally be used as a table, bench or sofa.
When choosing a particular design, pay attention to some details. The width of the shelf depends on the depth of the niche. Even a shallow niche accommodates a sufficient number of shelves, which allows you to use the entire volume. Remember that the overall interior of the balcony depends on its size. If the balcony is narrow, do not install the structure along the walls, as this will further reduce the space. In this case, place the shelves in a corner or raise them high so that they do not interfere with the passage.
If there is no glazing on the balcony, place the cabinet under the window so that it does not get wet. Make waterproof curtains. It is better if the loggia is closed, this will make the room more comfortable and increase the space of the apartment. A curbstone to an open balcony is ideal. It can be used as a plant stand, for greenery or for tires.
The main distinguishing feature of a balcony rack is the absence or presence of doors. The good thing about the open design is that you can get out any item if needed. The standard cabinet has several shelves and compartments of different sizes. It is convenient to store shoes, tools, household appliances, everything that should be at hand in them. The disadvantage of an open cabinet is that dust accumulates on the shelves and objects, so if the balcony is not glazed, the filling of the cabinet will be exposed to external influences.
A closed rack is the most reliable option for storing various things. This design takes up more space than an open one, but it is practical and neat.
How to do it yourself
An open or closed structure on the balcony for storing various things can be made independently from scrap materials. First, decide what you will store in the rack, what type it will be. Divide the process of building a curbstone into stages
- Select the type of construction.
- Take measurements.
- Draw a sketch.
- Find materials.
First, try making a simple structure out of wood
- The racks of the curbstone on the balcony will be made of wooden blocks, with a minimum section of elements of 50x50 mm. This will provide the structure with strength and reliability. The bar for the rack must be level and dry.
- For shelves, experts advise using a 2 cm thick board or 1 cm thick plywood. These parameters depend on what will be placed on the shelves. If the rack is supposed to have doors, purchase additional material for them.
- The shelves are mounted on lintels made of bars, or perforated corners are used for these purposes. The corners are easier to install, they securely hold the structure together and do not deform.
- The structural elements are fixed with self-tapping screws. They hold connections well and look prettier than ordinary nails. If self-tapping screws are used for fasteners, this means that the structure can be disassembled without damage.
- The stability of the system will be ensured by fixing it to the wall. This requires dowels with a diameter of 10 mm and a length of 120 mm. The length depends on the thickness of the bar.
- In order to cut wood, you will need a hacksaw or a special tool (electric saw, jigsaw).
- Self-tapping screws are screwed in with a screwdriver.
- When self-building a structure, you will need a certain set of tools: a tape measure, a square, a level, a pencil.
- If you need to drill holes in brick or concrete, a hammer drill with a drill will come in handy.
The installation scheme of the structure is as follows: marking on the wall, cutting a wooden beam into the necessary elements, installing crossbars like a ladder, fastening elements to the wall, measuring for shelves, cutting material, fastening shelves, assembling doors (if any). The markings on the walls are needed so that you can navigate the height and width of the structure.
Sawing a bar for uprights is a simple step. Set aside the size and cut the timber at the desired location. In the timber where the crossbars will be attached, it is necessary to make a 2 cm inset. The elements must be recessed for greater structural reliability. Secure the elements with self-tapping screws. The resulting racks must be attached to the wall. Next comes the line of shelves, which must necessarily be the same size. The shelves are fastened with self-tapping screws.
If self-construction of the rack is difficult, you can buy a ready-made metal structure and assemble it according to the instructions. Bolt the shelves to the uprights. The advantage of this option is simplicity, instant installation. Cons - standard sizes, high price. In addition, you can make a structure for a balcony from a furniture pipe, having previously bought all the components and assembled them like a designer.