Every owner who has a balcony knows how many problems can arise with him. Whether the roof on the top floor leaks or the roof cracks after winter, the visor does not retain water, so mold and mildew form inside the balcony, and so on. In fact, there are many more problems, and that is why you need to understand the reasons for their occurrence and how to eliminate them.
Why is the roof leaking?
- One of the reasons is precipitation. Snow or rain, as well as sudden changes in temperature - all this has a very strong effect on the roof. Due to sudden changes in temperature and ultraviolet treatments, it loses its protective properties. Therefore, under the influence of precipitation, cracks are poured, and dampness, mold and fungus form inside the balcony.
- Also, the roof can leak due to the fact that the roofing material is of poor quality. It may be that the contractors decided to save money on you and used low-quality materials that are prohibited or not recommended for roofing work. As a result, the roof of the balcony is leaking, and unnecessary problems appear.
- An unprofessional roof installation is also a problem. Wanting to save money, builders violate the rules for installing roofing materials. Poor performance of waterproofing and thermal insulation can, moreover, simply flood the balcony. Poor sealing of joints and seams and a poor drainage system can also lead to the formation of moisture.
- Therefore, before contacting specialists, check them. And keep a close eye on the work process. It is also recommended to purchase materials yourself so that there are no problems.
- End of service life. Over time, any material loses its original properties, as a result of which it quickly becomes covered with cracks. And if the material turned out to be of poor quality, then the service life is reduced several times, while even not too strong precipitation or exposure to sunlight can lead to the destruction of the roof.
Before starting repair work, you need to decide on the material from which the roof will be. The roof should be made of a material that can withstand gusts of strong winds, does not corrode, and tolerates temperature changes. Currently, there is a huge selection of such materials on the market, and every day there are more and more of them. Roofing materials are made of steel sheet, polycarbonate, as well as soft types such as, for example, shingles. This is only a small part of what can be found in the store at the present time. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, as well as installation features.
See below for more details.
This material has good strength and good value for money. Corrugated structures are able to withstand gusts of wind and snow loads without any change in the standard shape. Durable in operation due to the top layer of zinc, which protects well against corrosion and other troubles.
It is a very lightweight material. It transmits light well, but does not tolerate precipitation well, therefore it fits the climate of our country rather poorly. It is advisable to use this material in latitudes where there is no heavy rainfall. Polycarbonate is often used for decorative purposes.
If you have a glazed balcony with a strong and rigid frame, then a soft roof is a good choice for you, since such a roof provides complete noise insulation. The advantage will also be that the soft roof does not corrode and additionally protects your balcony.Low price and ease of installation are undoubted advantages. You can easily install this roof yourself.
Ways to get rid of a leak
After repair, for reliability, it is worth making waterproofing with a sealant. Sealing is advisable to use for prevention and additional clogging of joints. There are four types of sealant in stores: silicone, acrylic, polyurethane, thiokol. Before using any sealant, you need to study its properties
- The most resistant to moisture, cold and sunlight is polyurethane. It has the necessary elasticity, which makes it possible to use it even in the presence of water on the balcony. Always wear gloves before using the sealant to avoid skin contact.
- Acrylic sealant is environmentally friendly. It does not contain any toxins, so you do not need to protect your hands or other exposed skin when working. The composition also contains no solvents, so it is safe in case of fire. The only and main drawback is that the sealant does not tolerate water at all. Because of this, after a while, you will need to process the seams again.
- Silicone sealant differs in that it is better resistant to water, unlike acrylic, it withstands temperature changes well. Corrosive when used on metal surfaces.
- Thiokol has a not very long service life, and because of this, it is periodically required to re-treat the surface. It is the only sealant that can be colored.
- A hand-held air gun or trowel is used to apply the sealant. The mass must be applied evenly and carefully so that voids do not form, and also so that the sealant does not get on exposed skin. To align the layer, jointing is used. After a few hours, the sealant will become resistant to any kind of precipitation - be it rain, snow or even hail.
When repairing roofs of balconies, it is better to entrust the work to craftsmen, because safety comes first. To do this kind of work, you may need special equipment. This is another powerful argument for turning to professionals. Repairing by masters will take much less time than if you did everything yourself, besides, the technology will not be broken, and the roof will be in use for more than a dozen years. One has only to remember that it is better to entrust this work to trusted specialists, and not to the first people who come across from the street.