Many apartments in the old buildings have small balconies, and new budget housing does not boast of them. One of the ways to increase it is the glazing of the balcony with the removal of structures. Sometimes this is the only possible way to glaze and decorate the balcony without making it a narrow strip that you cannot equip in any way.
Features and Benefits
Taking out the balcony glazing outside the framework established by the project of the house, you need to remember that it is possible to increase the volume without obtaining a permit in the BTI only by 30 cm on each side. This is quite enough for organizing a wide window sill for seedlings or installing furniture, which was just a little missing to fit into the size of the balcony.
But if you decide to make the increase on a larger scale, then you will have to spend more than one day to get a permit. It is difficult, but still possible.
There are times when it is not possible to expand the balcony
- The building is very old for renovation. If the balcony is more than 20 years old, then it is unlikely to be able to expand.
- When the glazing weight exceeds 80 kg. This happens subject to the use of plastic structures.
- Inappropriate location. Cigarette butts and other garbage will be thrown onto the visor from the upper floors; it will be possible to remove it from there only from the neighbors.
There are essentially two expansion options:
- by gender;
- on the windowsill.
In the second version, the size of the floor does not change, the removal is at the level of the window sill, thereby changing only the volume of the room. Frames can be pulled over the edge of the parapet on one or three sides. This makes it possible to organize a wide window sill or a bar counter on the balcony if you combine it with the kitchen.
In the first case, the area of the room changes. The balcony keeps the shape of a parallelepiped. It is possible, using additional centimeters, to equip the area with furniture as you wish. This option is particularly difficult, but it makes it possible to increase the width of the floor up to half a meter.
There is another possible way - taking out with a butterfly. In this case, the glazing is made in the form of a trapezoid, that is, the side parts of the balcony are carried out at an angle to the wall of the house. The removal is carried out on a triangular frame, which is anchored to the balcony parapet and to the wall.
On the windowsill
When carrying out the removal of the balcony structure, it is important that all safety rules for the production of work are observed, as well as their quality is high.
Initially, the frame is removed. There are two ways to do this
- The corners are welded to the metal handrail of the balcony parapet.
- The corners are bolted to the concrete of the balcony railing with anchor bolts.
- They are installed at a distance of about 0.5 m from each other.
- Next, a new frame of the balcony fence is being equipped. It must be reliable and withstand sufficient weight, since the entire weight of the window structure will fall on it in the future.
- The outer cladding of the balcony is being installed. Most often it is a professional sheet, the color of which you choose yourself.
- Double-glazed windows are installed.
- Ebbs, visors and other elements are installed.
- Interior decoration is being done. For these purposes, you can use plastic panels or wooden lining. The second option is more preferable, since it will not heat up in the sun, and it will be easier to breathe in such a room.
If you decide to do the installation yourself, rather than trust it to specialists, weigh the pros and cons. The life of not only yours and your family depends on the quality of the work performed, but also of the people who pass under your balcony every day.
On the base of the slab
To move the balcony along the base of the slab, it is necessary to dismantle the old parapet. Then, according to calculations, organize a frame for an enlarged balcony. It is better to order all calculations from a specialized company, since the structure must withstand certain loads. We fasten the frame with anchors to the concrete base. Then we make the cladding, install the double-glazed windows, the window sill, the ebb and the visor, we make the interior decoration.
Basic glazing methods
The portable balcony can be glazed in completely different ways. It depends on what functions you assign to this structure, it will be cold or warm.
The warm balcony can be used all year round. Thanks to good thermal insulation, it will prevent cold air from entering the apartment. Usually this area is insulated if they are going to combine it with a room or arrange a winter garden there. This type, in addition to glazing it with plastic double-glazed windows, requires the installation of insulation.
Foamed polyethylene is used as insulation, floors can be insulated with mineral wool.
Keep in mind that the insulated structure has a lot of weight due to plastic insulating glass units and insulation, so it cannot be used everywhere on a remote structure. It is better to first consult with specialists.
There are fewer requirements for a cold-glazed design. It can be glazed with any material. You don't need to insulate. It is enough to fill all the cracks in the joints with polyurethane foam.
- Plastic double-glazed window. Perfectly retains heat, sealed, does not allow cold air to pass through, provides good sound insulation, and is durable. Of the minuses - they do not let fresh air through. Perfect for arranging an insulated balcony. Modern technologies make it possible to make these windows in the form of sliding structures, thereby reducing the space occupied when opening the window.
- Aluminum windows. Glazing with these structures is beautiful and durable. Aluminum frames are lightweight. Perfect for outrigger balcony structures.
- Wooden frames. Although plastic and aluminum structures are used everywhere, wood does not lose its relevance. This is due to the fact that this material is environmentally friendly, it allows the windows to "breathe", let fresh air into the room.
- Frameless design. This is a modern glazing method. Give your outrigger an interesting look. It gives the impression that there is no glazing at all. The frameless design visually expands the space by enhancing natural light. The disadvantage of such glazing is the high price, and the inability to install a mosquito net. Also, such glazing leads to large heat losses, so it will not work to create a warm balcony with such structures. Many people do not like such glazing because they feel unprotected, like on stage, but this can be solved very simply. It is enough to hang blinds or curtains.
No matter how you plan to take out the balcony, you need to initially make high-quality calculations, clearly perform all the work in a certain order. At the exit, you will get a neat balcony with an increased volume of the room. This design will be safe for you and for passers-by on the street.