Exterior decoration of the balcony is one of the important steps in the arrangement of this room, due to which it acquires a finished look and an attractive image from the outside. In this article, you can find out what types of exterior finishes exist and how to do the work yourself.
Thanks to the exterior decoration, your balcony gets not only a harmonious and attractive look, but also some additional properties. With the help of this event, you will receive an insulated room that is protected from the influence of the external environment (temperature drops, rain, snow, etc.).
Also, this work provides protection of the base, which consists of plates, from corrosion and destruction processes in the reinforced area. Based on this, we can conclude that the external decoration of the balcony can increase the service life of the room without major repairs.
If your balcony is of a remote type, cladding will be a mandatory step in the improvement.
Today, five materials are popular, with the help of which most apartment owners carry out cladding. Each method has its own advantages and features, which you can familiarize yourself with below.
Plastic is the most demanded and affordable material. It is made from polyvinyl chloride with and without seams. In addition to the attractive price, plastic has a lot of advantages:
- good decorative qualities;
- a wide range of;
- ease and efficiency in installation;
- plastic has heat-insulating and sound-insulating properties;
- if one lamella is damaged, you can replace it without disassembling the entire structure.
You can sheathe a balcony with a plastic lining with your own hands, because the material is easy to use. You can purchase lining with imitation of a wood structure.
If we talk about the shortcomings of the material, these include:
- short service life, which is about 15 years;
- susceptibility to mechanical damage. The lining is easily deformed during careless installation, so you need to be extremely careful when working with it. A big plus is that replacing a damaged lamella is not difficult;
- a small mass can contribute to the fact that plastic sheets break off on the balconies that are on the upper floors due to strong winds. For this reason, this material is not recommended to be installed above 3-4 floors.
As a basis for this material, polyvinyl chloride is used with special additives that give it strength. This material has a good price-quality ratio, which makes it a leader among buyers.
Its advantages include:
- long service life, which is 25 years;
- easy installation and maintenance;
- resistance to fading;
- resistance to high and low temperature conditions;
- vinyl siding is not susceptible to fungal growth, mold and corrosion processes;
- wide range of colors.
This material makes it possible to quickly give the balcony an attractive look and not think about its appearance for a long time. The disadvantages include the overpriced, which cannot be called very high.
This material is characterized by a high level of strength for finishing work. There are several layers in its structure. As a base, a steel sheet galvanized on both sides is used, the thickness of which is 0.35-0.65 mm. Also, the sheet is covered with a conversion layer, primer and polymer material. There are perforated sheets, options with all kinds of reliefs and with imitation of the structure of stones, ship beams and logs.
This type of cladding is popular in apartment buildings because it has many advantages:
- resistance to environmental influences. Due to the fact that the surface is covered with a polymer coating, you do not need to periodically paint the material;
- good performance properties, including resistance to temperature extremes, precipitation, sun rays, mechanical stress;
- metal siding is fireproof, not prone to mold and mildew, and also does not corrode;
- installation is easy, since there are special locks on the siding sheets.
This material has almost no negative qualities. It should be noted only low thermal insulation qualities, because it is metal. The mass of the structure is also more than plastic, so not every balcony will be able to cope with the imposed load.
Profiled sheeting is a sheet of galvanized steel, which is protected with a polymer coating. The corrugated structure provides an additional level of strength.
Advantages of sheathing with corrugated board:
- long period of use (about 40 years);
- aesthetic qualities, a variety of colors;
- tightness, heat resistance, anti-corrosion qualities, high level of strength;
- resistance to sunlight;
- acceptable cost. Sheathing with corrugated board will come out cheaper than metal siding, and the operational characteristics are almost the same;
- ease and efficiency in installation.
Profiled sheeting has a high thermal conductivity, so you need thermal insulation. This material has no significant drawbacks, therefore it is very often used for cladding outside the balcony.
Natural wood does not belong to the category of popular methods for external decoration, because a low price is combined with many negative factors. This refers to the main disadvantages of wood, but modern innovations make it possible to use special impregnations that improve operational characteristics: they provide protection against moisture, decay, and pests.
Despite this, owners who decide to use this material as balcony cladding must constantly provide the wood with care so that it retains its original appearance for much longer.
- attractive appearance;
- ecological qualities of wood;
- excellent thermal insulation and sound insulation.
This cladding option is unlikely to be suitable for cladding a balcony in an apartment building, but it will be appropriate for small private buildings.
Necessary tools for finishing the balcony outside
Before working on external finishing, you will need to prepare the necessary tools. In order to finish the balcony outside, you need:
- measuring level for construction work;
- a hacksaw with fine teeth for wood and metal;
- scissors for working with metal material;
- hammer drill with drills for wood, concrete, metal;
- staple gun.
Activities that are associated with facing the outer part of the balcony always begin with preparatory work.
You will need:
- clean the base of the balcony and remove the railings and old covering. If necessary, weld the cracks and clean the joints;
- remove rust on the metal area of the balcony base and prime the surface;
- eliminate uneven surfaces, level the base with a concrete solution.
Now you can start installing the lathing on which the material selected for finishing work should be attached.
After you finish the exterior, you can proceed with the interior cladding. Mineral plaster or drywall can be used for these purposes. Some owners use siding, wood clapboard, or even ceramic tiles. It all depends on the interior that exists in your home and the wishes of the household members themselves.
Compliance with safety measures
It should be borne in mind that all measures for facing the outer part of the balcony will be carried out at a height. Therefore, you should purchase equipment to keep yourself safe. The equipment includes equipment for climbing work, special devices that assist when working in hard-to-reach places. Also, such equipment can eliminate the risk to human life.
If you are planning to hire specialists, choose a company that has the necessary equipment and work experience. As a rule, in each city there are many firms that practice in the field of balcony cladding.
If you decide to make your own cladding, follow all safety measures, especially if you will be working at high heights. Exercise extreme caution, because any wrong step can turn into dire consequences. Discretion and consideration will be required when using the platform and stepladder. Get an assistant who will help and insure you during finishing work.
According to safety precautions, it is required to fence the work area. For this, a special signal tape is sold, a twine with a red cloth. Protect the area from passers-by so that they are not in danger. It is possible to carry out outdoor decoration without additional equipment only if you have a crate parapet and you are not outside the balcony.