Today, the presence of a balcony or loggia is considered one of the main criteria for choosing an apartment. If a few decades ago, the balcony was used as a storage room, where all sorts of seasonal things and children's transport were stored, as well as clothes were dried, then recently the priorities have changed significantly.
The balcony is a recreation area; a winter garden can be placed here or the room can be decorated as a study. In addition to the intended purpose, the attitude of society has also changed towards the materials that are used for the arrangement and design of the loggia. If previously wood or wood-based panels were mainly used, nowadays plastic is called the most popular material.
It is important that the plastic is of high quality, non-toxic, safe for human life and health.
Modern designers, working with interior decoration of premises, distinguish a separate direction in their activity, which is called "balcony interior". Stylists highlight a number of issues that often bother apartment owners when arranging a loggia or balcony:
- insulation of external and internal walls;
- repair work;
- selection of the type of lighting;
- selection of a balcony door.
A balcony door must meet the following characteristics: practicality, strength, reliability and long service life. Masters recommend paying attention to metal-plastic models, which are presented in a wide range: standard sizes and custom-made, various colors and types, combined with a window or self-installed.
In order not to be mistaken when purchasing a door to the balcony, you should carefully approach the solution of this issue and study the recommendations of the masters and the advice of stylists.
The popularity of PVC doors has increased so much over the past few years that companies that manufacture metal-plastic products are trying to expand the existing range every year and offer consumers new product options. The lineup is able to satisfy the tastes and requirements of any, even the most demanding, buyer.
There are several classifications of PVC balcony doors.
Depending on the attachment to the window opening:
- freestanding unit;
- combined or balcony blocks (the door can be installed on the left, right or in the middle).
Depending on the mechanism used:
Depending on the modification option:
- one-piece door with one large glass unit;
- in two parts, both parts are glass;
- consisting of two parts, while the upper half has a double-glazed window (ordinary glass, frosted, stained glass), and the lower one is closed with a "sandwich" made of plastic.
Depending on the type of construction:
- with one sash;
- with two leaves;
The last block also has an internal classification:
- panoramic balcony block with glass door;
- swing models;
- sliding options: a book-door or an accordion door, compartment doors or portal doors, lift-and-slide, tilt-slide and lift-slide, stained glass.
The dimensions of the balcony door depend on the parameters of the opening to the loggia. There are standard norms: the width is 60-90 cm, and the height is 190-210 cm. With a wider opening, it is better to choose double-leaf or sliding doors. In rooms with high ceilings, it is possible to install a blind window in the upper part of the doorway. This solution makes the structure visually more attractive, the room receives more daylight.
The upper window, made of frosted glass, which transmits light, but restrains direct sunlight, will look stylish.
How to choose
Plastic windows and doors have become so closely incorporated into the life of modern society that today the range of choice has practically no boundaries. In addition to standard options, it is possible to manufacture products to order. However, the procedure for choosing a balcony door block is a difficult and slow process.
It is necessary to study in detail the offered assortment, select several models, compare, weigh all the pros and cons, which in the future will allow avoiding problems in the field of operation.
See below for more details.
What does a plastic balcony door consist of?
- PVC profile, which is responsible for the level of noise absorption and the degree of thermal insulation. Each manufacturer of metal-plastic products has its own requirements for the manufacture of a profile. The products of the German brands REHAU and VEKA enjoy high popularity, which have occupied the leading positions in the world consumer market for several decades.
- A double-glazed window is a kind of "filter" of infrared and ultraviolet rays.
- Fittings are the most wear-resistant part of a metal-plastic balcony block, its working joint. These are various mechanical parts: handles, latches, blockers, hinges, locks and other elements.
Criteria for choosing a PVC balcony block:
- window manufacturer;
- high quality profile;
- double-glazed window with positive recommendations;
- additional functions and elements: mosquito net, climatic valve, etc.
The installation process consists of several stages:
- Taking measurements.
- Preliminary work on the preparation of the doorway: cleaning and leveling the walls.
- Model selection and manufacturing of a balcony door block made of metal-plastic.
- Serviceability check: tight fit, reliable fixation of the seals, correct operation of the opening-closing mechanisms.
- Finishing work.
It is better to entrust the installation of a balcony door block to specialists, because correct installation contributes to the proper functioning of the door in the future.
Causes of malfunction
Anything can break. Unfortunately, no manufacturer of metal-plastic products can give an absolute guarantee that the product will last forever and never break. There can be an incredible variety of options for breakdowns and the reasons for their occurrence.
The most common problems include:
- hardware malfunction (the handle is loose, the false handle / shell handle is not attached to the balcony door, etc.);
- the seal is worn out or damaged;
- damage to the glass unit;
- door skew;
- the door does not close well;
- malfunction in the work of the clamping mechanism;
- sagging loops;
- deformation under the influence of high air temperature;
- the balcony door does not close tightly.
How to fix
Can you fix a PVC door malfunction yourself? Of course you can. However, there are a number of situations that are subject only to high-profile specialists. Therefore, before starting repair work, it is necessary to determine what type of malfunction belongs to. There are two types of breakdowns: serious and domestic.
- damage to a double-glazed window or a balcony door - a complete glass replacement will be required;
- "Torn out" loops;
- destruction of fittings or its elements;
- violation of the integrity of the door leaf.
All of the above problems require a thorough examination by the wizard, identifying the causes of malfunctions and selecting options for elimination.
Household or minor problems that can most often be removed on their own:
- Difficulty opening and closing the door - it is necessary to adjust the door leaf.
- The door does not press well - it is solved by regulating the pressure of the balcony door from the side of the lock.
- The seal is worn out or deformed (most often this problem occurs after 5 years of operation) - it is necessary to completely remove the old seal and install a new one. It is better to give preference to products of German brands.
- The handle is broken - you will need to replace it with a new one. Such repairs can be performed independently by the owner of the house or apartment.
In addition to the malfunctions described, there are still many other problem situations with the operation of the balcony door. Carrying out repair work on your own or seeking help from specialists is the first moment that must be decided upon detecting a particular malfunction.
Have you chosen a balcony door and installed it? It's time to move on to its design. The best option would be a decor that matches the style of interior decoration in an apartment or house. To effectively decorate the door leading from the room to the loggia, you can use curtains, lambrequins, beautiful curtains, curtains, blinds, roller shutters, Roman or Japanese curtains, colored or mosaic glass.
Depending on the purpose of the room, the appropriate type of decor is also selected. In the bedroom, the window and balcony door can be closed with blackout curtains. In the living room, an open window, decorated with elegant and stylish panels for decoration, will look better. Batteries are usually hidden under such panels.
The window sill of the balcony block in the hall with bright flower pots will look interesting. In this case, the loggia is used as a winter garden or a rest room where you can relax after a busy day.
For a kitchen area with a balcony, the best decor would be white doors combined with various curtains or blinds.
Interesting solutions in interior design
Looking for original and unusual options for decorating a balcony door block? Do you want to surprise your friends and family with a stylish design? It is enough just to study this issue closely to find dozens of incredible and unique solutions. For example, skip regular glass. Mosaic made of multi-colored glass, art painting or sandblasting forming an openwork transparent pattern, stained glass windows, the use of fusing technology will help to decorate any room.
Stylists also recommend paying attention to non-standard shapes. So, an arch-shaped window opening will emphasize the refined taste and sense of style of the mistress of the house. A balcony door made of solid glass visually enlarges the room, making it more spacious and brighter.