Today, the balcony becomes not just a storage room in an apartment or house, but sometimes takes on the function of a separate room: an office, a gym or a recreation area, an extension of a kitchen or an area for children. In any case, you need to hang curtains on the balcony to maintain comfort, install a cornice or other structure with curtains on the balcony door or the one that leads to the loggia.
It is important to provide easy access to the balcony or to the opening of windows so as not to damage the curtains and create a homely atmosphere.
Fabric or non-woven curtains become an important decorative element of the balcony, but this role is not the only one:
- First of all, curtains protect guests from sunlight and bright rays, from the glances of neighbors and passers-by, if the apartment is on a low floor.
- Curtains as decor should be chosen if the balcony is more than 5-6 square meters in size and is often used. If the loggia is used to store things, but it is still worth installing them, give preference to simple and functional models that will not let in bright sunlight and will protect people from prying eyes.
- Often, balcony curtains or curtains used in the room share a common color scheme to create a unified interior. But this is just a recommendation to make the choice easier.
Features of the
- The windows on the balcony often have non-standard sizes, which can complicate the search for curtains that are suitable for the parameters. To solve this problem, you can order custom-made curtains: it can cost a little more, but you will get exactly the desired result and the most functional design for each window opening.
- Balcony curtains should not be too bulky or have a lot of decor; it is better to choose such fabrics for the living room or room. An exception will be a spacious balcony, where guests or families gather almost daily or several times a month.
- If the side of the balcony is south, that is, sunny, it is worth stopping at dense fabrics of light or dark shades, which will allow you to curtain the curtains if necessary. For the north side, designers recommend using tulle, blinds of only light shades, so as not to darken the space.
- Curtains are hung in the glazed balconies or on the balcony door, and are selected based on the interior of the room (living room, kitchen, bedroom, nursery) or selected separately.
- Depending on the balcony, the length of the curtains is selected: for a small balcony, it is worth choosing short curtains, tulle or blinds so as not to clutter up the room, and in the conditions of a large quadrature of the balcony, long curtains made of light fabrics will look concisely.
The design of the balcony also affects the choice of curtains: if you are planning to choose a curtain model for the gym or workshop, choose the simplest ones like blinds or Roman curtains. For the balcony-living room or dining room, you can choose curtains like French ones.
The most popular type of balcony curtains are roll-up models, the design of which is a roll of material, with a movement of the hand, it goes down or goes up.
Classic curtains will be a worthy choice for a spacious insulated loggia. Fabric curtains are installed on the cornice, which will require additional work and will be appropriate on a balcony with an area of 6 squares or more.
There are models with Velcro fastening or those that are selected thanks to an additional Velcro belt.
Tulle will be appropriate on a balcony or kitchen with a balcony door.
Such curtains can be used as an independent decorative element or in a block with curtains.
Roman shades are dense vertical elements, more likely to remember the combination of blinds and a ship's sail. This type of window curtain opens upward thanks to a special mount.
The basis in Roman models is often dense natural fabric, and linen and thick cotton look especially interesting.
The curtains of the Land of the Rising Sun, or Japanese models, are elongated strips of PVC or other synthetic material up to the middle of the window and below, which are ideal for decorating a loggia. Japanese models are of high quality and density, they are unlikely to be spoiled by the scorching sun, and they will especially become relevant in an Asian interior or a balcony in modern style, loft, hi-tech.
French curtains are famous for their light textures, they are often made from silk, but you can dream up and choose a model from any flowing material.
It is important that they have laces for adjustment and are gathered together.
Lambrequin for the kitchen with a balcony door will become not only a room decor, but also a functional thing. A similar model should be chosen for large kitchen rooms from 10 square meters, otherwise the design will visually make it even smaller.
An alternative would be to choose light-colored translucent curtains that are floor-length or slightly shorter.
The blinds resemble Roman counterparts, they are attached to the top of the window and are lowered vertically thanks to the lace.
An interesting model will be "day-night", in the daytime they have gaps, at night they are closed completely and do not let light from street lamps.
How to choose
Regardless of the model chosen, there are several rules that should work after installing a curtain rod or any other design.
- Curtains for a kitchen with a balcony door should not interfere with the free opening of the door, choose curtains not solid, but in two parts to provide free access to the balcony and not too long.
- Choose the material of the curtains based on the external conditions: if they are hung on a loggia on the south side with a bright scorching sun, then choose UV-resistant materials of synthetic origin.
- Natural fabrics will be appropriate on the balcony on the north side of the apartment, give preference to light shades to visually make the space lighter.
For a modern small loggia, choose Japanese, roller or Roman curtains that are comfortable to open and take up a minimum amount of space. They will be appropriate for sliding windows, this will require a separate element for each window in order for the curtains to function easily
- For a French window, choose light curtains to the floor, which will make the interior harmonious and laconic. Lambrequins will be appropriate for decorating a spacious room, and for a small one - Roman, roll or Japanese models.
- The curtains for the hall are traditionally luxurious and long, consisting of several layers: curtains and tulle. In this case, the decor of the balcony with curtains becomes inappropriate if the room is small. An alternative solution would be to use laconic designs like Roman models or roll products.
A good idea would be to install blinds on the balcony and choose traditional curtains for the kitchen.
Multi-colored blinds will become the highlight of the balcony with panoramic windows.
Light translucent curtains are well suited for a modest kitchen, and the cords on the curtains allow you to fix them in the desired position and make the exit to the balcony free.
French curtains perfectly complement the Provence style on the balcony and complement the refined interior. It's amazing how laconic short gathered models look on wide windows on the north or south side of the apartment.
Such curtains are a real decoration of the interior and its peculiarity, however, they do not have much functionality, but they look stylish.
The curtains on the open balcony will also become appropriate: choose classic curtains and fasten on two opposite sides of the loggia. Such curtains will be appropriate and functional in warm and dry seasons, especially in the resort region, they will protect from the sun and give the balcony an original style.
For a balcony-loggia with French windows, even short curtains installed from below in the area of / u200b / u200bseats - sofas or armchairs are suitable.
Bamboo blinds for the balcony are an environmentally friendly, practical and expensive choice, however, how great they look in the classic interior of even a small balcony and are combined with the color of the chairs - a real relaxation area in the modern urban jungle.
Roman blinds have been relevant lately: a practical and small-sized design will fit into a strict or modern interior in the same way, guests will like it due to their ease of use and care.
Japanese curtains look good in modern spacious rooms and floor-to-ceiling windows. The bright colors of the curtains make the room stylish, and the floor-to-ceiling construction acts as a functional thing due to the fact that it protects from solar radiation and the glances of neighbors and passers-by.
It is appropriate to choose Japanese models for private houses for the first floor on a balcony or loggia with panoramic windows. In the conditions of a city apartment, they are also appropriate if the area of the room allows you to place such products there.