Blinds on the balcony are the best solution for creating a cozy and modern loggia. A wide variety of such curtains allows you to find the ideal option for a particular interior. Narrow, wide, smooth, textured, with or without a pattern, made of various materials and at a variety of prices - the variety will delight the hostesses. It is quite easy to find an elegant design today thanks to the huge selection of models and manufacturers.
Features and Benefits
A huge plus of blinds: they do not lose their relevance over time and look organically in any room. Previously used as sun protection in offices and cafes, today they are widely used. They are practical, neat-looking and easy to use. This design consists of long lamellas connected in one row, the rotation of which is regulated by a simple mechanism.
The lamellas are arranged horizontally or vertically, depending on their type. Blinds are analogous to curtains, but more practical and functional. They do not wrinkle, they are quickly and easily cleaned. Vertical models are impregnated with a special solution that repels dust and dirt. The design is easily adjustable: the slats can be completely closed, opened or the level of illumination on the balcony can be adjusted as desired.
If the plates are closed, then this does not interfere with air circulation and protects the room from prying eyes. The design allows you to freely open the window for ventilation. Regardless of the type, blinds can be easily installed by themselves. A large selection of shapes, textures, colors refers to the advantages of the design. Models are mounted in the window opening, on the ceiling, to the wall.
Despite the objective advantages (sun protection, aesthetics), they have their disadvantages. Plastic models turn yellow over time in the sun, deteriorate, and disintegrate. If they are actively used, the mechanism quickly fails. Budget slats can bend, break, sag.
Blinds are divided into types according to two characteristics - materials of manufacture and the location of the lamellas.
Horizontal. The most budgetary option. Most often, this type of construction is installed on a window with a balcony door or on balcony frames separately for each glass unit. Horizontal models are simple and consist of a cornice with an adjustment mechanism, lamellas, and a control cord. They are fixed with a bar attached from the bottom.
The horizontal model is convenient if there are flower pots on the windowsills. The design does not take up much space, looks weightless, does not overlap the window openings with space. The lamellas reliably protect from the sun and dust. Horizontal models are easily cleaned with soapy water, dry quickly. During washing, do not wet the cornice, otherwise the mechanism will quickly become unusable.
Vertical. The structure consists of an aluminum or plastic curtain rod, vertical slats connected by a chain with runners, weights and a control cord. The lamellas rotate around their axis, and if they are opened, they are assembled like an accordion. Vertical blinds can be 3 meters high, 6 meters high, depending on the parameters of the window.
They open in several ways: from right to left, left to right, from the center to both sides. The structure is mounted on the ceiling or wall. Lamellas can be made of plastic, fabric, aluminum, be of different shades and colors. For balconies, designers advise using models with drawings that give the interior atmosphere and comfort.
When closed, vertical models are similar to curtains, so they are ideal for balconies. Among the disadvantages: they take up space, it is easy to damage the lamellas, sometimes it is difficult to open the windows.
Rolled. Outwardly, they resemble curtains, since they do not consist of separate strips. One-piece roller blinds. They consist of a thin roller on which the canvas is wound, and a mechanism with a chain for control. Closed models have an additional box, 2 shafts, 2 strips.
They protect the fabric from sagging and wrinkling. Curtains are attached to the frame, wall, ceiling. They are made from material of different density. Some models are transparent and transmit light well, multi-textured and multi-colored.
Plisse. Blinds are horizontal, but differ from the classic ones. The structure is a metal profile (plastic), between which pleated fabric is fixed. The model is controlled by a cord or chain. When closed, they do not allow light to pass through, they are attached to a glass contour, a window opening or to a frame.
The design is great for non-standard window openings. They look impressive and stylish on the loggias. Plisse transforms even the simplest interior.
Thanks to modern production technologies and a large selection of models, shapes and colors of blinds, the buyer can choose the most successful option for a particular balcony interior. Today, color models (rainbow), gradient, tricolor have appeared on the market. The most popular and classic minimalist color is white.
Black designs are a spectacular but heavy option for a balcony. Designers advise paying attention to soft, rich shades: aqua, green, chocolate, peach. The color depends on the model and material, as well as the general furnishings on the loggia.
How to choose
The length of the balcony blinds should be five to ten centimeters less than the window frame. When choosing a specific model, pay attention to the mechanism. It should not make creaking sounds, but function smoothly without causing discomfort. The best option for a plastic frame is vertical fabric models. They perfectly cover windows of any size and easily adjust the lighting level.
On the loggia, it is better to choose spectacular models, colored, with a pattern. Vertical designs are ideal for sliding windows. When choosing blinds, remember that they should not reach the floor.
When choosing a design, pay attention to the material. Ideally, the curtain rod should be made of aluminum, not plastic. A high-quality chain connecting the vertical lamellas is white, without a yellowish tinge. Blinds design is one of the main criteria for making the right choice. The interior of the balcony will depend on the color, style, pattern. Ideal colors for a loggia: white, milky, beige or bright, mysterious, but not gloomy.
How to choose?
Use the following tips:
- Sliding windows with aluminum frames are not suitable for models that are mounted on the sashes.
- Vertical structures are suitable for sliding windows on the balcony.
- For the windows of the loggias located on the south side, roll models made of dense material are ideal, and for the north side - vertical ones with thin lamellas.
- For balconies decorated in ethnic style and chalets, bamboo or wooden structures are suitable. Laconic plastic models correspond to the style of minimalism.
- If the loggia is used as a place to relax, it is wiser to choose light-colored fabric blinds.
- It is better to arrange windows of a small balcony with horizontal structures that are mounted on glass.
The price, design, durability, ease of installation, operation and many other factors depend on the material of construction.
Metallic structures are strong and durable, well cleaned of dust, do not deteriorate under the influence of sunlight, are not afraid of moisture.Minus iron models - they thunder when opening / closing, have a simple design, fade over time.
Plastic easy to use, these are inexpensive models, not heavy in weight, not afraid of moisture. White lamellas turn yellow over time, crack, break, and the mechanism often fails.
Wooden. They look expensive and look spectacular. The wooden structure does not fade in the sun, does not dry out. Minus the wooden slats are heavy, which leads to sagging and problems with the mechanism.
Fabric. Practical blinds, lightweight, practically do not fade in the sun, do not deform, suitable for different interiors and design styles.
Bamboo. Strong and durable construction. They look original and exotic. Such models are expensive, therefore they are rarely used for decorating loggias.
Thread. Fashionable blinds that have an original design. The lamellas are made of threads without weights and lower fixation. With the help of the mechanism, the structure can be easily moved to the side, turned. These vertical models are suitable for balconies with panoramic glazing.
How to install yourself
It is not difficult to install the structure on the balcony windows yourself. First, decide on the method of fastening the model and take measurements. Remember, they must be accurate. Roller blinds and horizontal blinds are mounted with and without drilling. Installation of vertical ones is carried out only by drilling. Next, decide where the structure will be located: on the wall, in the window opening or on the glass.
Prepare the necessary tools before hanging the structure. For installation, you will need: an electric drill with a drill for concrete from six mm, screws and dowels, a simple pencil, a ruler, a level, a tape measure, a screwdriver, a screwdriver.
- Check the completeness of the structure, lay out all the parts on the table. The kit should include universal fasteners, screws and shutters.
- Attach the structure to the wall or ceiling, mark the installation location on the left and right with a pencil. Use a level and ruler to determine the exact installation location. From each mark you need to step back two centimeters and also mark with a pencil the place for fasteners.
- Attach the left and right fasteners to the marks, mark the drilling points for the screws. Drill the marks with a drill. The depth should be no more than four centimeters.
- Fasten the brackets with self-tapping screws to the wall, window frame or ceiling.
- When installing louvers more than two meters wide, install intermediate fasteners.
- Insert the structure into the upper cornice and close the bracket locks.
- If the horizontal model is mounted in a window opening, use the following mounting tips.
- As in the previous recommendation for installation, check the complete set of blinds. It should include two brackets, screws and an assembled structure.
- Try on the curtains to the window opening and check if the structure interferes with opening and closing the window.
- Attach the right and left fasteners to the upper inner part of the window opening, step back from the wall two centimeters to the center, make marks in the places of the holes. Thus, there should be two labels on the right and left.
- With a drill, it is necessary to make holes according to the marks, their depth should be three to four centimeters.
- Screw the left and right fasteners to the upper part of the window opening with self-tapping screws.
- Insert the blinds into the upper cornice and close the locks.
- The vertical design requires effort during installation, but it is also possible to make it yourself. It all depends on the length and height of the model.