The installation of the bar counter will be an original solution for arranging the balcony, which borders on the apartment's kitchen. It will become not only a bright accent of space, but also its functional component for eating or morning coffee or tea, for example. In addition, the bar counter visually makes the interior more interesting and richer, despite the fact that you can install it yourself.
Depending on the type of balcony, its area and some parameters, options for placing an unusual in shape and design of a hinged table are based. The bar counter on the balcony is installed only if the loggia is closed, insulated and borders on the kitchen, otherwise the expediency of the furniture element is reduced to zero (weather conditions can damage it, as well as sudden changes in temperature and humidity).
The location instead of the balcony block along the window opening is the most common and practical installation option. Among its advantages are the following:
- Easy to install: the space along the window is freed from the balcony block without obtaining permits and other documentation from the supervisory authorities, provided that the wall connecting the kitchen and the balcony is not load-bearing. Removing the windows and the front door to the loggia, you get an even larger and bright kitchen with a bar counter.
- The surface of the countertop is accessible both from the side of the kitchen and from the side of the loggia, which allows more people to sit behind it. This type of accommodation will be appropriate for a small and large family alike for lunch or dinner, a leisurely breakfast or other activities.
- A bar counter instead of a balcony block can replace a dining table and save space for another, for example, a larger kitchen set. If a full-fledged table is still available in the kitchen, the bar counter can be used as an additional place for storing dishes, decor, or used as a counter for other work.
- Above the bar, it is worth placing metal or glass shelves for storing glasses or bottles of wine and other drinks.
- A bar counter instead of a window sill, mounted between the loggia and the kitchen, will be inexpensive, if you choose chipboard as its basis, lamination will add elements of sophistication and high cost in appearance.
- Probably the most costly action will be the dismantling of the block and the upgrading of the former window opening and the passage to the loggia. The bar itself will cost significantly less. To improve the design, it is worth adding to it several elements such as lighting or a one \ two-level shelf for storing dishes and decorations.
- The next type of installation of the rack on the balcony is the installation of the element in an opening free from the balcony block. To do this, you should completely remove the block and clear the space of excess. Such a choice allows you to choose a non-standard shape of the countertop, smooth, curved, which will make the kitchen space laconic and allow you to independently determine which side to approach the countertop.
- An alternative would be a counter that attaches to the wall and ends in the kitchen, that is, rests on its own support.
The bar counter directly on the balcony will be a bold decision: install the countertop along the window opening; for a small room, choose a strict rectangular shape, for a spacious one - curved. This will allow you to sit down at the table and admire the scenery outside the window with your morning cup of coffee
This idea will appeal to those whose view from the window is attractive, moreover, many guests will fit behind such a long bar counter: the standard width of the loggia is from 2.5 to 3 meters. The budget design will not affect the family budget, since it does not require dirty and complicated work. It is enough to determine the location of the countertop and choose its length and width, not to the detriment of the rest of the loggia space. It is important that after installing it there is free space to move around the balcony.
The optimal width will be one third of the width of the loggia, which will allow you to walk on it without asking to move.
- For a small balcony, it is a great idea to place a rack in a small area in the middle or side of it, which will create additional work space and leave a few more squares for other things, such as storage.
- You can place a rack on the balcony along its perimeter: this will allow you to use more space of the loggia and make it as useful as possible. This idea will be appropriate for large and wide balconies, narrow long loggias, but keep in mind that if the structure is too bulky, the balcony may lose its originality.
- Geometrically irregular balconies are complemented by rounded countertops that follow the contour of the walls. Such products will cost more because of their shape, but their use is very rational.
First, the window and door leading to the loggia are dismantled, while it is important not to damage either the kitchen or the balcony, since soon these two rooms will turn into an integral room with maximum functionality. To carry out the work, it is not necessary to hire a team of builders: to remove the window and door simply by yourself with the help of a faithful friend or wife, the main thing is to familiarize yourself with the work algorithm in advance. After freeing up the space, it is important to determine the parameters of the future countertop: measure the remaining lower kitchen block, now you can safely order the item in the hardware store.
Chipboard, natural wood, stone (artificial and natural), glass, durable plastic and other components can be used as the decoration of the countertop.
It turns out that you can install the countertop on the balcony or instead of the balcony block between the kitchen and the loggia. It is important to determine the budget for a small renovation and choose a location for the furniture item. It is equally important to pay attention to the width of the products and its length in order to use the balcony space as efficiently as possible, while leaving room for free movement and even storage.