Aluminum is a fairly durable and attractive material. Very often, this metal is used for the manufacture of various building profiles, which later act as a frame when decorating walls or glazing balconies or loggias.
The latest designs based on an aluminum frame are gradually gaining immense popularity, since the material is distinguished not only by its unique design, but also by high strength characteristics.
Aluminum is a non-ferrous metal, which, in turn, already implies very good heat conductivity values. But many manufacturers of aluminum balcony glazing insulate structures, which increases these characteristics.
According to these indicators, the profile is divided into 2 main subspecies:
- "Cold" glazing assumes the use of aluminum frames as the basis for holding the glass. The main purpose of such structures is to prevent the penetration of wind, snow and rain into the room. It is quite difficult to operate balconies protected by such a system in winter.
- "Warm" glazing. In such structures, the profiles are insulated using auxiliary inserts. This leads to the fact that the thermal conductivity of the material decreases several times. Some modifications of aluminum products in their properties are close to those of plastic windows. Such frames already allow a person to feel comfortable on the loggia in winter.
Advantages and disadvantages
Balcony structures made from this product can be characterized by several positive properties:
- Low weight of the frame. This makes it possible to significantly speed up and simplify the procedure for working with an aluminum profile.
- High rates of fire safety. The metal frame not only does not support combustion, but also perfectly resists high temperatures.
- Sliding windows are characterized by the silent movement of the sashes. With the help of such systems, you can save space on the balcony.
- The minimal dimensions of the profile provide full illumination of the balcony.
- Modern design and a large number of colors that allow you to adapt the product to any interior.
- Qualitative indicators of protection of the room from external influences. The structure of the profile prevents the penetration of water and wind, regardless of their volume and strength.
- Long period of operation. Aluminum does not corrode as much as iron, and therefore windows can retain their properties for several decades.
The disadvantages of aluminum glazing include:
- Low level of noise insulation, since it is impossible to achieve complete tightness of the system.
- Changes in the profile dimensions under the influence of temperatures, which can lead to the appearance of cracks (in most cases at the points of abutment to the walls) and other negative consequences.
- Freezing of the locks makes it difficult to open the sash in winter.
DIY installation algorithm
Installing an aluminum frame on a balcony is a complex procedure. But with a strong desire, you can make it yourself. Such work is performed in several sequential steps:
At the initial stage, a frame is formed from a wooden bar. For this, it is initially attached to the balcony parapet using special fasteners. It is imperative to keep it horizontal.
After that, all sliding elements are dismantled from the structure, and if the structure allows, the glazing is also removed.
The next step is to fix the visor to the top plate. For this, special fasteners are also used. In the same way, the ebb is attached to the parapet, and all gaps are sealed with sealing compounds.
Then they begin to install the mounting plates, which are fixed with self-tapping screws to the profile. These elements should be located at a distance of no more than 70 cm.
When everything is ready, the window profile is inserted into the opening and it is aligned in all planes. For reliable fixation, wooden pegs are used, constantly monitoring the level with a special device.
After that, along the entire perimeter of the wall, mark the locations of the future location of the mounting plates. When everything is done correctly, holes are formed at these points using a drill of a certain size, and the plates are attached with dowels to the frame.
Upon completion of this operation, the previously dismantled elements of the system are installed, and all holes are filled with polyurethane foam. The installation is completed by fastening the window sill.
Varieties of sliding window systems
Such mechanisms are distinguished by the presence of special guides along which the sashes of the window opening move. Please note that this type of glazing can be either cold or warm (it is relatively rare).
Experts divide aluminum sliding glazing into 3 subtypes:
Windows with parallel-sliding sashes. Elements in this mechanism move sideways on special rollers. Such an algorithm can be found in the doors of sliding wardrobes. Among the shortcomings, one can single out the inability to organize overhead ventilation of the room.
Tilt and slide systems. In such mechanisms, the sash extends slightly and then, as it were, goes around the neighboring element. They are characterized by high rates of tightness and thermal protection, and there is also a ventilation function.
Vertical sliding systems suggest the extension of the lower frame with its subsequent entry beyond the upper part of the mechanism.
Popular profile manufacturers
Today this product is very popular on the market, so many companies offer their products of this kind. Among all this diversity, several manufacturers can be distinguished:
SCHUCO. The German production profile is one of the highest quality products on the market today. The material is distinguished by its durability and unique technical characteristics.
New Tex Group - products of the Italian concern, which are characterized as very reliable and of high quality.
Provedal … The products of the Spanish company are very popular in our country. Experts distinguish it as a reliable, lightweight and high-quality material. Almost all types of balconies and loggias in household or industrial facilities can be glazed.
There are many other modifications of this product, which also has its own characteristics and technical properties.
To make the choice of this element correctly, it is advisable to trust such operations to experienced specialists, or in extreme cases, to listen to the feedback of someone who has already independently engaged in such an installation. They will not only help you carry out all the calculations using the calculator, but also recommend quality materials.
Proper care is the key to reliable performance
Aluminum windows, like any other mechanical structure, require constant monitoring and analysis of their condition. To make the operation of such systems practical and durable, experts recommend following a few simple rules:
- Moving elements of the window must be periodically cleaned of dust and lubricated with oil, which is used in sewing machines.
- To mask any scratches that appear on the surface, they are covered with a layer of acrylic paint.
- It is not recommended to open the flaps in winter, as ice can form on them, leading to the destruction of the structure and loss of mechanical properties.
- Windows are cleaned only with soap solutions, which do not contain abrasive components.
Aluminum glazing is a versatile opportunity to transform a balcony area into a usable area that can be used for various tasks.