Fireplaces are a great way to decorate a room while heating it at the same time. This attribute of the interior is used in many houses, giving them originality and comfort.
The dimensions of this structure depend on the dimensions of the room itself. Therefore, large fireplaces can be found in spacious living rooms of country houses, where they are used as decorative ornaments.
If it is impossible to install a classic system, it is possible to install such products that run on gas or electrics. These products are a great opportunity to spend evenings with your family, discussing pleasant moments.
A home classic fireplace is a structure that is made of brick or natural stone that can withstand high temperatures. In most cases, this design is done in the English style. The fireplace consists of several main parts:
Portal. This element represents the surface of the structure that faces the browser. This includes the hole itself with additional attributes, such as a mantel. To make the fireplace unique, the portal is lined with various decorative stones. There are many types of similar materials used for decoration. This allows you to choose the best style for a specific interior
One of the ways to decorate is to use candles for the fireplace, which can be located around the entire perimeter of the portal.
- Firebox is a small container in which combustion is performed. Efficiency and other combustion characteristics depend on its size. In most cases, all of its dimensions are selected dynamically and they depend directly on the height of the fireplace.
- Chimney … This part of the structure is a vertical channel through which gases are removed. The thrust inside the system and the quality of combustion of the stove depend on the correctness of its implementation.
The work of a fireplace involves not only the release of heat, but also the combustion of air masses. The effectiveness of such designs depends on several main parts:
- The ratio of the area of the room and all structural elements. So, if you choose a small fireplace for rooms with a significant area, then you will not get the optimal level of insulation. This design can only be used as a decorative element. When the room is small, and the firebox itself takes up a lot of space, this can lead to additional ventilation and the appearance of drafts, which in turn will cool the house.
- Installation technology … The work of the fireplace also depends on how all the structural elements are built and laid out. If, at the same time, the basic recommendations are not followed, then this can lead to the presence of poor traction or its absence, etc.
We calculate the area of the combustion hole
In most cases, the level of heat transfer and the quality of combustion depend on this characteristic. There are a few simple steps to follow to perform calculations:
- First of all, you need to measure the area of the room. For example, let's take a room, for which this value is equal to 20 sq. M.
- The optimal ratio for the areas of the firebox and the room is 1:50. Therefore, in order to find the characteristic we need, the previously obtained value should be performed such an operation 20 sq. M / 50. The result will be an area of 0.4 sq.m. (4000 sq. Cm).
Width to height ratio
The previously obtained area of the firebox is not a universal value, since it does not indicate what the sides of the opening should be. The optimal level of operation of the fireplace also depends on these characteristics, so it is imperative to calculate them. This can be done by following a simple technique:
The ratio of height to width should be 2 to 3, which is the optimal indicator
Please note that when multiplying such numbers, the previously calculated area should be obtained.
Finding these values is easy enough using the fitting method or the appropriate formulas. For an area of 4000 sq. Cm, the height will be 51 cm, and the width will be 77 cm
Depth as an indicator of efficiency
This value only depends on the size of the height, which you already know how to calculate. The ratio of these characteristics is 2 to 3. You can find out the required depth dimensions using a simple formula - (height / 3) * 2. For our example, it will be 340 mm.
Please note that you should not select this value by eye, since if they do not match, this can lead to various defects.:
- Increasing depth will contribute to the fact that the thermal masses will be directed into the chimney, without giving off enough heat to the inside of the room.
- Decrease is one of the reasons that will lead to smoke.
Please note that the dimensions of the chimney depend on the area of the furnace, and should be about 10-15 times less than the previously obtained value. This calculation technology is quite simple and does not require any special knowledge.
Such designs are gaining immense popularity among apartment owners where it is not possible to install a classic model. When choosing an electric fireplace, their dimensions and technical characteristics are also important:
Designers recommend using products in which the area of the facade should be less than or equal to 1/50 of the area of the room where it is planned to be installed. You can, of course, use oversized products, but they will not create such an effect in the decor as the previously indicated models. So, for example, a fireplace, which is equipped with a facade of 60 * 50 cm, will be optimal for an office and a bedroom with an area of up to 15 square meters
The power of electrical systems also depends on the size of the room. So, in order to additionally heat a room of no more than 20 square meters, experts recommend using fireplaces that produce 2 kW of energy (1 kW / 10 square meters)
It should be noted that such structures should not be used as the main heat sources, since the system consumes a lot of current, which is quite expensive.
Building or installing a fireplace is a complex process that should be trusted by experienced professionals. This will eliminate the possibility of malfunctions or failures during operation.