The operation of the fireplace is practically impossible without the use of various refractory structures. There are several types of such materials, differing in composition and environment of use. Today, more and more often, for solving such problems, substances based on chamotte clay are used that can withstand prolonged exposure to open fire.
What it is
Fireclay plates are products made of special clay that is fired. During this process, the substance changes its plasticity, becomes dense and brittle. This leads to a significant increase in the fire resistance of the board several times. Fireclay plates are used not only for external decoration of fireplaces, but also with their help form a protective layer in various types of melting furnaces.
How chamotte differs from ceramics - see the video.
It should be noted that many different components can be included in these products to obtain the desired characteristics. The formation of fireclay plates is often carried out by pressing on special machines.
A feature of fireclay slabs is a different component composition, which leads to the formation of different thermal insulation characteristics. This leads to the fact that they are used to solve certain problems. Several distinctive features of such substances should be noted:
- Heat resistance. Some types of fireclay plates can perfectly withstand prolonged exposure to high temperatures (about 1650 degrees).
- Low thermal conductivity. This contributes to the formation of a kind of insulating barrier that retains heat inside the chamber, giving it off gradually over a long time.
- Heat resistance. Fireclay cookers are capable of undergoing many cycles, which consist of rapid heating and cooling. Moreover, their strength characteristics remain at the same level.
- Resistant to chemicals. Many fireclay products are used in places with high acid concentrations and high temperatures.
Fireclay plates are made according to the same principle, so they can differ only in size and appearance. On the market you can find a lot of similar materials, which can be conditionally divided into the following subspecies:
- Standard fireclay plates. They are made in several standard sizes from 135 * 135 mm to 1 * 0.5 m, which allows you to choose them for various types of surfaces. The thickness of such a slab can vary depending on the purpose of the slab.
- Fireclay constructions for plastering. A distinctive feature of such products is the presence of special grooves in the form of a "dovetail". This shape allows the plaster to adhere much better to the board.
- Fireclay plates with grooves. They are used in places where it is necessary to obtain a surface with high density and strength (furnace ceilings, etc.).
Application and installation
The main purpose of fireclay slabs is thermal insulation, both external and internal surfaces of stoves, fireplaces, etc. They prevent excessive heat flow and keep it in one place. Some types of fireclay slabs are also used as fire protection structures. The fixation of fireclay slabs to the surface of fireplaces is carried out using special heat-resistant glue. This operation is very similar to pasting such frames with tiles, etc.
Beautiful solutions for decor
Fireclay plates are a versatile material that allows you to retain heat. This feature is used by many manufacturers of such popular fireplaces:
- Yenisei. This type of fireplace is made of a metal frame, inside of which certain parts of the firebox are additionally insulated with chamotte. This makes it possible to retain heat for 8 hours. The Yenisei fireplace is a versatile solution that fits into any modern interior.
- Narva is an elegant fireplace stove. It has a small size, which allows it to be installed in various places of the house. Due to the interior decoration with fireclay tiles, it perfectly retains heat for up to 6 hours.
An alternative solution to modern stoves is a fireplace with a stove and a stove bench. It is in many ways similar to a conventional stove, but much more compact. You can decorate it using special chamotte tiles, which will make it possible to keep the bed warm. If you want to decorate the interior in an original style, then entrust it to experienced specialists from these areas.