A well-chosen finish of the fireplace helps to preserve its aesthetic qualities for a long time. When choosing the type of installation, consider your capabilities, will you be able to finish the fireplace with your own hands or should you turn to the services of specialists? The most popular types of cladding are tiles, natural minerals and porcelain stoneware.
Due to the wide range of such materials, you can decorate the fireplace in any topic, and by doing it yourself, you will save a significant amount on finishing work and on masonry.
Facing operations with fireplaces, as well as with stoves, should be carried out using decorative elements and mortar, which have a splitting coefficient similar to that of bricks. Otherwise, the cladding will quickly begin to crumble. In this regard, experts advise using the following material:
- terracotta tiles;
- natural stones;
- artificial stones;
- porcelain stoneware.
The finishing method is directly dependent on the material used in the work.
Ceramic tiles have properties similar to refractory bricks. The similarity in structure allows the tiles to change sizes when heated, along with the material of the fireplace insert itself. At the same time, the glaze coating protects the tiles from the adverse effects of water and soot.
Ceramic tiles can be of different shapes and sizes. In stores there are products that are created specifically for finishing work with ledges, corners and shelves. The color scheme of terracotta tiles is similar to natural materials. It is easy to lay, so you do not need special tools when working with it. An ordinary grinder is suitable for fitting and cutting elements.
How is tiling done
The process of finishing with ceramic tiles consists of several steps:
- first, the top layer of the fireplace insert should be cleaned of whitewash, plaster or paint. Then the seams are expanded between the bricks by one centimeter, and dust is removed with a brush;
- using fire-resistant mastic or clay solution, you need to seal and dry uneven edges;
- if your portal has poor brickwork, and the mortar layer is more than 5 millimeters thick, it is necessary to level the surface of the structure using a grinding machine;
- then the fireplace should be lit. The bricks should be heated to 30 degrees;
- a primer is applied to the surface of the bricks. This solution reduces dusting, promotes good adhesion and even drying of the adhesive liquid. As a rule, the primer dries for a couple of hours;
- finishing work with tiles should start from the bottom. If necessary, you can trim off the protruding parts and grind. If your project contains corner pieces, they should be glued first;
- the glue is diluted according to the instructions on the box. Use a drill fitted with a hard wire nozzle, as it can effectively stir the solution;
- use a wooden spatula to apply the mortar. After that, you should run a notched trowel over the surface and press the tile tightly. Glue several tiles at a time to keep the level and plumb line under control. The plastic corner helps to create equal distances between the elements;
- it takes two days to dry the materials, after which the grout is done.As a trowel, you can use special products or clay mortar with fine sand and dye;
- If your tile does not have an auxiliary protective layer, you can apply a fire-resistant varnish to its surface. It facilitates the maintenance of the facing material.
Furnishing the firebox with natural and artificial stones
Stones such as marble and granite have a high price tag. To handle this kind of material, you will need experience with special cutting and grinding tools. Therefore, when finishing on their own, many people buy shell rock, limestone or rubble stones.
Artificial stones are made from Portland cement, natural stone chips and expanded clay. During their creation, vibrocasting and embossing are used, due to which decorative materials have high strength and resistance to moisture. A wide range of materials offered makes it possible to make an exclusive cladding in the fireplace room.
There is no special technology for laying stones. The base is hot melt glue or mastic. If the stones are heavy, then special anchors are used for reliability.
Features of finishing with natural stones:
- Initially, it is required to prepare the surface of the stove, which consists in cleaning the stove masonry, opening the seams, removing dust and creating a flat surface.
- To create an attractive finish, it is recommended to sort the stones by color. If you want to use multiple tones, dark colors should be stacked underneath. Any irregularities and unnecessary corners are removed with a grinder.
- The fireplace, as well as when working with tiles, should be warmed up to 35 degrees and the brickwork should be treated with a primer.
- Dilute the adhesive according to the instructions until smooth. The resulting mixture should be infused for 15 minutes, after which it should be re-mixed.
- Masonry using natural stone is carried out in the same way as with ceramic tiles. The glue is applied to the stone with a spatula and the element is applied to the wall. Then it must be rubbed tightly. All excess glue should be removed immediately. The joints between the stones should be 2-5 mm.
- Before laying the next row, you need to set up a tiled corner. After the glue has set, the corners are removed. The rest of the rows are laid out in the same way.
- When the glue is dry, fill the joints with mortar. If you want to leave the natural texture of the stone, you should not level the seam.
- After you finish the cladding work, the surface is covered with a protective varnish.
If you are looking for a quick and inexpensive option for cladding an existing portal, consider plastering. This material is available to everyone and does not require much work. It should be noted that plastering does not contribute to the weighting of the main fireplace masonry, therefore, strengthening of the base is not required.
The main condition for high-quality facing work is a competent choice of plaster. Choose a flame retardant option that contains special fibers. Similar conditions are achieved by adding lime, hemp and straw to the mud.
Decorative qualities are achieved by staining with a compound that is resistant to temperature changes.
How is plastering done:
- clean the surface from dirt and old plaster;
- using small nails, fix a reinforcing mesh on the masonry;
- the prepared solution should be applied with a spatula evenly over the entire surface;
- after you finish finishing work on your fireplace, leave the surface to dry for two days. After that, you can apply coloring solutions or decorative putty. If necessary, you can add a water-soluble color.
With fireproof drywall, you can create unusual fireplace shapes. The workflow itself consists of two stages:
- the metal frame is being assembled;
- the resulting frame is sheathed with plasterboard.
Please note that the screws must be screwed in at right angles. This action eliminates the formation of chips on the surface.
Decorating false fireplaces
Not every city apartment has a fireplace. If you really want a fireplace portal to please the eye in your room, you can make a false fireplace, which is made from any materials at hand.
Any available means are suitable as finishing materials. Decorating with wood, plywood, drywall, foam, cardboard and even brick is popular. Use your imagination and create your own fireplace in a city apartment.
When you choose a facing material for a fireplace, you need to consider the quality of the raw materials themselves. For example, the features of cast iron fireplaces include their high coefficient of thermal conductivity. Due to this property, such stoves transfer heat 1.5 times faster than steel stoves. Such fireplaces are actively used for heating summer cottages. If you own an iron portal, talcum chloride finish will suit you.
Tiles are often used in saunas and baths. It has shown itself to be excellent as a facing material for heating fireplaces. With its help, the room is evenly warmed up without overdrying the air.
It is up to you to decide how to decorate your fireplace. Analyze your financial capabilities and taste preferences, and this article will help you to correctly decorate your fireplace.