In the everyday city bustle, sometimes we miss the charms of a country house, where you can sit down and relax in front of the fire of the fireplace, doze off to the crackling firewood, clear your soul and thoughts, looking at the flame. But now there is a solution - even in a small city apartment, you can install a built-in electric fireplace.
- Such a fireplace does not require the installation of a special ventilation system, there is no need to purchase materials for the firebox. It is enough to have a good electrical outlet and prepare a niche into which the fireplace will be built;
- An electric fireplace can be easily installed with your own hands, its installation (and dismantling) does not require any special knowledge and skills;
- It is impossible not to note the ease of use - such fireplaces do not need special care, and the "flame" is easily controlled by the remote control;
- Do not forget that, in addition to decorative, an electric fireplace can also perform a heating function - the heating area of such a fireplace is about 20 square meters.
In addition to the advantages, electric fireplaces have several disadvantages, or, better to say, contraindications for installation:
The main disadvantage of the built-in electric fireplace is its high energy consumption, about 2 kilowatts per hour, with the heating function turned on. Since the fireplace is usually turned on for a fairly long time, electricity costs can "hit" the wallet. However, if the fireplace works only in decorative mode, then the energy consumption will be significantly reduced (up to 200 watts per hour) and it will become no more "gluttonous" than a computer
- It is strongly not recommended to install electric fireplaces in houses with old wiring, since this device is powerful enough and can cause power outages and even a short circuit. Therefore, the wiring must be carefully checked and, if necessary, replaced;
- Like any heating device, a built-in electric fireplace greatly dries out the air in the room in which it is located. Therefore, it is necessary to thoroughly ventilate.
Each built-in electric fireplace, regardless of its type, contains the following elements - a hearth and a portal. The hearth is the part of the device where the decorative elements of the fireplace - "firewood" and "fire" are installed. Sometimes it is decorated with wrought iron doors or grilles. The portal is a kind of box in which the fireplace is installed. It can be made of various finishing materials - stone, drywall, wood, marble, etc. The variety of style solutions makes it possible to build such a portal that will ideally fit into the interior of the room.
There are the following types of built-in electric fireplaces:
Decorative fireplaces. These fireplaces are intended solely for decorating a room, as a rule, they are narrower, smaller in size, they can be built into pieces of furniture, for example, in a wall cabinet or in a closet. They do not have a heating function - only a beautiful backlight that imitates fire and artificial firewood (coal), as well as sometimes a forged grate or glass
Fireplaces heaters. They are often less beautiful, but they do an excellent job of heating the room and give their owners warmth and special comfort on long winter evenings. Heating is carried out using a built-in fan heater or a mirror reflector, which directs heat from the heating elements to the outside. In many models of such electric fireplaces, the temperature can be adjusted
There is also a third, combined type of fireplaces - decorative fireplaces with a heating function, which, if desired, can be used both as a means of increasing the air temperature in the room and as a beautiful interior detail
You can also choose a model with additional capabilities: with steam simulating smoke, with a 3D effect of a burning flame (now very popular options for simulating fire on a built-in screen or with steam lighting from below), with sound effects (crackling wood), with a cleaning and ionization function air. The choice of an electric fireplace depends only on your wishes and the size of your wallet. In order to decide, you need to know a few rules:
- Be sure to match the dimensions of the room with the desired size of the fireplace - a large fireplace is not suitable for a small room and will look ridiculous and cumbersome. A variety of models of such fireplaces (by the type of hearth - open or closed; by location - angular, frontal, three-sided or through; by shape - rectangular or non-standard configuration) will allow you to decide which shape is better to choose and where to place it, how it will fit into space. Furniture and other interior items should be in harmony with the design of the fireplace portal;
- An important role is played by the design of the fireplace - finishing it with decorative elements, such as glass, marble, metal forging, etc. To increase the realism, designers recommend using additional elements, for example, fireplace tongs, a poker and a wood burning stove. Candles, figurines, vases standing on the fireplace also look very beautiful;
- If you are choosing a fireplace with a heating function, first check the wiring in your home and install a good quality euro socket. Further, it must be remembered that for high-quality heating of the room, power is required at the rate of 1 kW per 10 sq. M. If possible, choose electric fireplaces with temperature control.
If you have thought over the design of your future apartment in advance and decided that the built-in electric fireplace is exactly what you need, then be sure to form a niche for it at the initial stage of construction and finishing work. In this niche, it is necessary to install a structure from building profiles and drywall or other material chosen for the manufacture of the portal. If you are not confident in your abilities, invite a specialist.
It is advisable to buy the device in advance so that it fits perfectly into the prepared niche. Its depth can vary from 5 to 40 centimeters. It is best to choose the option with more depth, as it looks more realistic.
If you have chosen an electric fireplace with a heating function, do not forget to provide ventilation openings during installation and make sure that there is a small distance between the walls of the fireplace and the walls of the niche in which it is located.
Choosing a wall for installation. Firstly, it should not be a wall combined with the neighbors' apartment. Secondly, there should not be a window or a TV on it. The best option is a wall between the living room and the bedroom or the kitchen. Install the fireplace in such a way that the rest area can be located opposite.
Use a separate socket to connect the fireplace to the mains. Think carefully about how you can disguise it, as well as the electrical wire. If this is not done, all its realism will be lost.
Gone are the days when the fireplace was the prerogative of only wealthy people, owners of country houses and mansions. Now almost everyone can choose a built-in electric fireplace to their taste and wallet. Their cost varies from 10 to 200 thousand rubles and depends on the technical characteristics and additional capabilities of the device. When buying a fireplace without a portal, you can save about 50% of the kit price.And the portal can be made independently, from chipboard or drywall, and then cladding with wooden veneer or "wild" stone.