The operation of fireplaces is carried out under constant exposure to high temperatures, which can lead to a fire. You can reduce the likelihood of such an incident by using various types of cladding. Among all this variety, heat-resistant drywall for the fireplace should be distinguished.
There are several types of such a product on the market today, which differ in their technical properties. Refractory drywall differs from other analogs in a number of properties:
- Visually outwardly, it is covered with pink cardboard, which is evidence of its specific purpose.
- The composition of drywall includes a special layer, which contains clay and reinforcing fiberglass. This can significantly increase the temperature resistance and reduce the likelihood of fracture.
- The structure of the sheet's core also includes crystallized water, which is an additional obstacle to the spread of fire. The amount of this component in some cases can reach 20% of the total weight.
When buying heat-resistant drywall, it is advisable to check all certificates for this product, confirming its belonging to this group of goods. They already describe in detail all the specific characteristics of the material, which will make it possible to select only a high-quality and reliable substance.
Heat-resistant drywall consists of several main components:
- Two-water gypsum, filamentous filaments and several types of organic substances. The percentage of these components in the structure reaches 93%.
- Cardboard cover (6%).
- Moisture. The amount of this product often does not exceed 1%.
Heat-resistant drywall is an indispensable material for the construction of fireplaces and other similar structures, as it perfectly resists fire. In comparison with other types of this substance, it does not lend itself to destruction under the influence of temperature for about 45 minutes (moisture-resistant types of sheets withstand only about 20 minutes).
The material is available on the market with standard surface sizes:
- 2.5 * 1.2 m (area);
- sheet thickness is standard and is 12.5 mm.
The weight of a single structure is approximately 25 kg. It should be noted that heat-resistant gypsum board also perfectly "breathes", like its counterparts, which allows you to use it instead. There is a material on the market with a thinned and non-thinned edge, which plays an important role in direct assembly. If you purchase substances of the latter type, then you will have to cut off part of the end yourself by about one third of the total thickness. Due to its unique features, a drywall sheet costs about 2 times more than its simple counterpart.
Scope of use
The versatility of fire resistant drywall makes it a highly sought after product. This substance is used to solve several specific types of tasks:
- Arrangement of ventilation ducts. It is not used for the formation of chimneys, as it is not able to withstand prolonged temperature loads.
- Sheathing of almost all types of baths (Russian, Turkish and Finnish).
- Facing fireplaces. Often, drywall here acts as an intermediary between the hot surface of the frame and the main wall.
- Interior cladding of light industry workshops, etc.
As already mentioned, drywall can be used to form fireplace frames, but several nuances should be taken into account:
- It is not advisable to clad fireplaces with this material of structures that are made of stone, refractory bricks, etc. These substances themselves are excellent insulators. Plasterboard cladding is often done only on fireplaces made of steel or cast iron, in order to additionally protect them and give them a certain decorative look.
- It is advisable to use this material in cases where the firebox is installed directly in a wall niche.
- When cladding fireplaces, special heat insulators must be placed between the drywall and its walls, which will reduce the effect of temperature on the structure of the product.
It should be understood that heat-resistant drywall is not a brick and it is not a reliable protector. It only prevents the possibility of a fire for a while, but does not exclude it with prolonged exposure to high temperatures.
Some nuances of installation
Plasterboard finishing of fireplaces is carried out according to a special technology, which involves fastening the sheets to a special frame. Please note that such operations are carried out only with the help of metal structures, and the use of wood or other flammable substances is not allowed.
The sheets are fastened to special self-tapping screws, the pitch of which is approximately 12 cm. All element joints are additionally closed with metal corners. If necessary, various heat insulators are located inside the structure. It should be noted that it is strictly forbidden to use foam for such purposes, since it ignites very quickly and releases harmful substances.
When installing fire-resistant drywall sheets, only heat-resistant binders (glue, sealant, etc.) are used. This allows you to get a robust and reliable system that will last a long time and without failures.
Frames made of such sheets are very often located in residential buildings, which requires additional decoration. When decorating a fireplace, drywall can be coated with special decorative materials such as fire-resistant tiles. The technology of its application on such a surface is practically no different from pasting on another material.
To do this, you need to use a special heat-resistant glue, with which individual tiles are fixed on the surface of the fireplace. Thus, by combining these two materials, you can create a very beautiful decor.
When buying heat-resistant drywall, you should give preference only to high-quality products. On the market today, one of the most popular is the products of several manufacturers:
- Velma and many others.
Heat-resistant plasterboard is a versatile solution for fireplaces, which are created not only as a decorative element, but also as heating systems.