The front part of the structure of any fireplace are doors that protect the room from sparks and coals. When buying special doors, the focus should be on aesthetics and performance. In the process of choosing a door, we must be guided by such important factors as safety of use, style and ease of use.
Nowadays, glass doors have become the most popular. They fit into any interior. They can be used to melt various patterns, designs, the ornament looks very impressive. You can combine a metal frame and glass. The metal frame may not be standard, but form something like inscriptions or vines. Here you can give free rein to your imagination.
Tempered, fire-resistant glass also allows you to safely observe the flame in the fireplace as with steel doors. It reliably protects the space of the room from soot and burning. Tempered glass provides additional protection and has a high strength and level of resistance to fire.
An important point is that the door must be purchased before starting the construction of the fireplace. The fact is that it will be impossible to find a door that matches the size of the fireplace, so the fireplace itself should be adjusted to the door. Do not forget that you need to purchase special glass, ordinary tempered glass is not suitable for such purposes.
The only drawback of glass doors is their heavy weight. In this case, it is easy to fix the problem, it is enough to install a door opening mechanism, which will allow you to do this silently and easily. The door must be on sale together with a handle made of non-heating material so as not to burn your hand.
To prevent the door from heating up too much, experts advise making a small hole in it, as this will help direct the fire in a different direction.
Requirements and standards
Glass must meet all requirements and standards
- The hardening grade plays the most important role. If the glass is made of poor quality, it can simply burst upon contact with high temperatures. Ideal glass can withstand a maximum temperature of up to 1000 degrees and not crack when the temperature changes.
- It is unrealistic to scratch, break or damage it, since it is made from special raw materials using specialized devices. All this allows you to get a product that is not inferior in strength to metal.
- Glass thickness - at least 4 mm.
- Single-layer glass is suitable for a home fireplace, but two-layer glass is stronger.
- There are glasses that do not get dirty from the inside when in contact with fire. To do this, they are covered with a layer of metal oxide.
Types and forms
Since glass fireplace doors are very popular, there are several types and shapes of them: flat, segmented, circular and curved
- Strained glass. It is made using a hardening method, which makes it resistant to extreme temperatures and mechanical damage.
- Quartz glass. It contains only quartz (or sand), nothing superfluous. Due to the complex manufacturing technology, its price is very high, such material is considered the most expensive, but its design fits perfectly into any color gamut.
- Borosilicate glass. It also includes quartz, only boron oxide is added.The advantage of such glass is that it is much more durable than other types. This glass is considered the safest and most fireproof, so that buyers leave their choice on it.
It is possible to make a door for a fireplace with your own hands, but this is a very difficult task. You should not do this if you do not have certain skills and experience in this matter
- A form is made, into which you later need to insert a corner, laid out on a perfectly flat surface.
- Uniformity can be checked using an ordinary square.
- The joints must be fixed by welding.
- A metal frame is installed on the body, where holes are made for the future door.
- We cook separately the frame, the size of which should be slightly larger than the inner one in order to protect the room from smoke and burning.
- The curtains must be welded to the frame, then the mechanical element must be attached.
- We remove all unnecessary that is left from welding.
- We attach the handle.
Taking care of the glass and wiping it is not only possible, but also necessary. You can only do this when it has cooled down, otherwise you could seriously damage it. Stores sell special cleaning agents that provide additional protection for the door. It is not recommended to use cleaners that are not intended for cleaning glass doors, as they can damage them.