There are things that can be enjoyed for a very long time. For example, the sight of a burning fireplace. Although to a modern person, watching your favorite TV show or movie in high quality will seem no less interesting idea. It is not surprising that many people want to combine both a fireplace and a TV in one interior. Is it possible to do this aesthetically?
Professionals warn against this tempting idea: not every room, fireplace, TV will allow the undertaking to be realized. And those who made their dream come true are not always satisfied with the result. Why is this happening?
- When we imagine a room with a fireplace, we imagine a large and wide hearth lined with stone, with a massive shelf on which goblets, statuettes stand, an impressive canvas or complex decor in the form of a scarecrow hangs on the wall above the mantelpiece. In a modern interior, a lot is simplified and a place above the fireplace is often occupied by a TV … But a person can watch either the fire or the screen. When both work, the vision gets very tired from the constant change of the "picture", instead of relaxation we get stress and fatigue, even a headache.
- This problem can be partially solved by a decorative hearth (an electric fireplace, for example), where the heating of the room does not depend on the fireplace. If you want to admire the fire - turn on the hearth, watch the broadcast - turn on the TV.
- Another problem facing the owners of stove heating is the safety of the room. It is highly undesirable to place electrical appliances and sockets on the wall behind which the chimney runs - they can get very hot. Both burning fuel in the fireplace and faulty wiring can cause a fire. Both factors will only exacerbate the danger. And how to hide the wires is a separate topic …
- Inconvenient screen placement. In a familiar interior, the TV is placed at eye level to make the seated person comfortable. In a room with a fireplace, you have to build on the size of the hearth, and the monitor is placed quite high. When viewing, you have to strongly lift your head or lean back.
- There is another superstitious explanation: fire is a living dying down. Therefore, no other forces and elements can be placed on its side. And electricity is also a kind of modern force, albeit related, but just as energetic. Both the burning fire and the working screen will "argue" on the wall, creating an unfavorable and heavy aura.
- Experts and firefighters are also against such placement because of combustion products. With poor draft (and this happens over time), carbon monoxide can accumulate in a room with a firebox, causing serious poisoning and suffocation. Therefore, spending long evenings in front of the TV and the fireplace is dangerous - you can get crazy, and you should not doze in such a room.
- Ethical side - not to save on space? The inept combination of fire and plasma makes the interior cheap, as if you were trying to dress all the best at once. They are advised to assign different zones, balance or immediately highlight one thing. A fireplace and a TV of different sizes and styles will definitely not be able to make friends.
However, such categoricalness meets with resistance, and many decide to combine a fireplace and a TV. How can this be done safely and functionally?
Where is the TV and the hearth most often placed? In the living room, dining room, study, bedroom. In children's rooms, simultaneous accommodation is rare. Most often, the safest constructions, false fireplaces are used here. The fire is either hidden or inaccessible to naughty kids.But the TV in the room of older children is much more common, then the emphasis in the rooms is on it.
The fireplace is the heart of the house. TV sets have become its modern replacement, so they are often placed in common rooms where the whole family can gather. If there is both a fireplace portal and plasma in one large room, then there are several solutions on how to install both "windows" so as not to overload the space. The basic rule is that the TV is placed on top of the fireplace or in one line, otherwise the magic of fire loses its charm.
On the contrary
If the room is large enough, then it is logical to separate the TV and the fireplace so that each has its own zone. For example, a dining group is placed near the fireplace, and the screen is hung on another wall, orienting soft sofas and armchairs to it. The portal and TV on different walls do not argue and fulfill their functions.
On perpendicular walls
Modern TVs are quite expensive, so the desire to add coziness to a room with plasma is natural. One of the good options would be to place a bio fireplace near a nearby wall. This will allow you not to make serious adjustments to the design of the house, it is safe and very spectacular. It is better to put the portal on the recommendation of the master, observing the required distance.
On one horizontal line
Placing on one wall in the framework of modern styles takes place. The soft group is placed in a circle. And the screen and the fireplace are oriented on the same horizontal line, slightly raising the hearth window above the floor. It is advisable to use an ultra-modern portal frame so that it visually resembles your TV. This position of the fireplace and TV is made as symmetrical as possible, and if possible, they offer to soften the opposition by hanging an art canvas on the same wall between the portal and the screen on a higher line.
Uneven placement is more difficult to execute and is loved by modern designs. At the same time, the scenery “plays” with the space, placing both the TV and the hearth next to it. It is easier to arrange electronic and bio fireplaces in this way - portable options that do not require a lot of space. The fire window and TV can be hung and placed on the wall and in modules in the middle of the room, turning them into art objects and installations.
TV over the fireplace
That most dangerous combination is practical if you approach the issue wisely: address security issues. If the fireplace is more like a TV stand, then there are two options:
- A real hearth is made safer by creating additional thermal insulation for the wall. It is useful to place a small thermometer to control the temperature near expensive equipment (heating above 45 ° C is undesirable); a wide mantelpiece (about 36 cm) will help reduce heat transfer. Experts recommend leaving a distance of 30 cm above the fireplace for the same purpose, or controlling the situation with special applications from the category of "smart home". In the form of a stand, a stone and steel fireplace is practically not used, this greatly reduces the cost of the interior.
- But the modular portals in the form of a curbstone are practical. False fireplaces with a "virtual" hearth can be made even out of the box with your own hands. They are safe for expensive equipment and will not spoil the look if you seriously approach the issue of design. This option is very much in the spirit of modern styles - pop art and minimalism. This solution is also suitable for a children's room.
When the heating of the house has several scenarios, or the fire has a decorative function, the designers suggest playing with the imagination: for example, hiding the portal in unexpected places. In country and Provence styles, the hearth is hidden behind shutters, refined gratings, which bring their own flavor to the interior and soften it. The same can be done with a TV: it can be hidden behind sliding panel doors, an automatic curtain.For a brutal and shocking style close to hi-tech, they often offer an imitation of an open hearth located in unusual places or built into a furniture group - in a coffee table, side panels-shelves of furniture, sofas.
The nuances of placement
To make the fireplace portal look noble, it is recommended to use niches correctly, creating the illusion of a symmetrical space. Cardboard structures will not be just a stand if they are properly equipped and decorated, following the same rules as with a real fireplace. It is better to hang the TV so that the distance between them is 30 cm. The distance from the viewer to the TV also plays a role: the farther the soft corner is to the fireplace, the higher the screen should be and the larger in size. For example, with a distance of 1.5-1.6 m, the plasma height of 42 inches should be 1.5-1.7 m.
The general style and purpose of the room greatly affects the features of the placement of the TV and fireplace. The maximum ideas are given by the hall, dining room and living room, where the furniture is very functional and helps to create different zones - for work, rest, communication. Bedrooms are more limited, and to make them cozy and intimate, experts advise taking more attention to the bed and fireplace, hiding the TV in niches and behind sliding curtains and structures. Ascetic castle halls from the old times are no longer in vogue, therefore the installation of a portal and a TV set often depends on design ideas.
Reconciling styles and modern technology is not easy, but possible. The less decor and small details, the closer can be screens and portals for fire. When creating a style with paraphernalia, figurines, cups, it is better to move the equipment away from the fireplace. When placed close or on the same wall, the size of the screen and the niche of the hearth should visually match. In any case, try to avoid small things on the mantel, this area will always attract increased attention and interest of guests.
Reviews indicate a large number of opinions both among experts themselves and among ordinary people. It is very difficult to put a fireplace and a screen on the same wall in the same original way without the help of a designer or architect. Interesting and beautiful compositions are obtained by craftsmen when working with wall-to-ceiling cabinets or hanging shelves. But, even choosing from the traditional and the old - hanging the TV on the wall above the fireplace, you can approach the issue creatively and outside the box.