Fireplaces are an integral part of many modern homes. Such designs today make it possible to replace even small boilers, providing heating for several rooms. All of them are manufactured using various technologies and techniques, using several types of materials.
Fireplaces were used at various times and eras, which led to the emergence of several main types of similar structures:
- Classic fireplaces are among the most common. They are distinguished by simplicity and practicality. They can be used in any type of interiors from art deco to fusion.
- The Dutch fireplace is a special fireplace stove. A distinctive feature of such structures is the presence of a special system of smoke circulation, which makes it possible to heat the room more efficiently. The process of their manufacture resembles in many ways the construction of an ordinary stove, only here an enlarged furnace opening is already used.
- Rustic fireplaces. Such products are very beautiful, as they are made in a rustic style. As a basis for the construction of fireplaces, only wild stone is used, which is distinguished not only by its unique beauty, but also by its high price.
- Alpine fireplace is a kind of similar systems, but in fact it is not. Structures of this type resemble an open hearth, with a hood equipped above it. This allows you to position yourself around the fire in a circle.
- Modern fireplaces are available in various designs. For this, not only classic materials are used, but also metal, which makes it possible to give them originality. It should be noted that in this style there is no one direction, so the design of the fireplace can be radically different depending on the designer who designed it.
- Outdoor fireplaces are structures that are installed outdoors and allow you not only to bask near them, but also to cook food. The classic example of this style is the barbecue oven.
How to choose
Fireplaces are varied in functionality and design. Some of them only allow you to warm up, but there is a design thanks to which you can cook various dishes. When choosing such products, several features of fireplaces should be appreciated:
- A type. Today, in addition to the classic options made of brick or stone, you can use their metal products. Such stoves can use not only wood, but also electricity as fuel. The latter type of fireplaces is especially relevant for apartments, since it is difficult to install a complex brick exhaust system there.
- Firebox design. Modern fireplaces can be equipped with either an open or closed firebox. The latter types of structures are more reliable, since they exclude the ingress of smoke into the room, but classic fireplaces with an open system are much more original and beautiful.
How to make at home
The process of building fireplaces presupposes the presence of certain knowledge of brick or stone masonry in order to obtain not only a beautiful, but also a workable system. To perform such operations at home, you will need to purchase the following materials:
- refractory brick or stone used in the construction of fireplaces;
- a door (in the case of a closed firebox) or glass for a fireplace;
- special masonry mortars;
- finishing materials (tiles, etc.).
The algorithm for building a fireplace involves performing several sequential steps:
- Initially, the foundation is being built. The main material here is a layer of concrete, which is poured into a previously prepared mold. Its size and depth depends on the specific dimensions of the fireplace itself, but at the same time the base must calmly support the weight of the product.
- After that, the laying of the base of the fireplace is carried out. For this, the bricks are placed in a bandage, forming even seams both at the joints and between the rows. Installation technology often depends on the project you choose. If the fireplace is additionally equipped with an arch, then you need to lay it out on a previously prepared base, which is then removed.
- The final stage is the construction of the chimney. Its shape and type also depends on the project you choose.
For such work, it is advisable to use high-quality masonry mixtures, which it is advisable to prepare according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
From talc magnesite
This material retains heat very well, therefore it is used as a facing material. It can be performed in several variations: from small tiles to oversized products. Talcomagnesite is attached to the fireplace surface using special binders based on various chemical components, the application of which resembles the same as when pasting walls with ceramic tiles.
Very often, similar substances can be found in projects with a stove or island fireplaces. Such material is sold in sets, which makes it possible to create not only warm, but also beautiful surfaces.
The substance is characterized by high plasticity, which makes it possible to form various decorative elements for fireplaces from it. To carry out such an operation, you first need to purchase special rubber molds and the gypsum mixture itself. Cooking is often not difficult and is done outside. After the decor is ready, it is attached to the fireplace frame with special glue.
This material is also a finishing agent used for decorating fireplaces. Marble comes in a variety of variations, but small tiles are standard. These products are attached to the external surface using various types of adhesives or cement mortars.
Review of ready-made fireplaces from well-known manufacturers
Today, fireplaces are becoming even more accessible to everyone, since there are so many alternatives to the classic brick product. More and more often on the market you can find designs not only of Russian production, but also of foreign ones. Sweden is one of the highest quality fireplace manufacturers (Contura, Keddy, etc.). The products of these brands are distinguished by high productivity and significant efficiency, since they use secondary combustion systems.
A special place among these products is occupied by the Belarusian-made Meta-Bel fireplace stoves, in the construction of which replaceable fireclay plates are used. They are distinguished by high productivity and reliability. Among the products made in Russia, we can note the model range of virtu fireplaces, which are distinguished by a unique combination of glass, metal and stone. The design of these products is made in the hi-tech style, where romance, creativity and minimalism are combined. The Olympus fireplace stoves, made of high-quality cast iron, also have original features. Some models allow you to heat a room with a volume of up to 140 cubic meters.
The variety of fireplaces on the market is very large, therefore, when buying such systems, it is advisable to first assess their advantages and disadvantages, and only then make a decisive choice.
This indicator depends on several factors:
- type of construction (oven-barbecue, oven-fireplace, etc.);
- finishing materials (marble, granite, tiles, etc.);
- the complexity of the construction, etc.
It should be noted that the price of stone fireplaces is much higher, since the technology of their construction is rather complicated and requires the use of various knowledge. An alternative option is metal structures, externally finished with various materials. The cost of such fireplaces can vary from several tens of thousands to over a million rubles.