Fireplaces are used to create a magical atmosphere and additional comfort. They not only perfectly complement the overall design of the home, but also warm you on cold evenings. Many are more attracted by the decorative function. Various portals invariably come to the rescue. Manufacturers offer such a wide assortment that everyone will find a product to their liking and style.
What it is
The fireplace portal is an external decorative part that frames the fireplace insert. Portals have two main functions: decorative and protective. In fireplaces with natural fire, portals made of heat-resistant materials are used. Such portals protect the firebox from the ingress of foreign objects. But in electronic fireplaces, the portal only decorates.
Among other things, the fireplace portal is able to bring additional heat. The portal heats up and additionally heats up the space around it. Antique wrought iron portals combine all three functions: decor, protection and additional heating. The sophisticated appearance complements the interior of the room and creates a special accent on the fireplace.
Choosing a portal should be guided by several principles:
- Fireplace view. The material of the portal depends on it.
- General style. Portals are made in a variety of stylistic variations.
These two simple rules will help you narrow your range of products. Then it’s entirely up to your taste and desire. Experts recommend choosing a portal so that the fireplace itself occupies 1/3 of the height and 1/2 of the width. Then the dimensions of the fireplace and decorative cladding will look as harmonious as possible.
Purchase the portal when the fireplace is already in your house. This is the only way to calculate everything to the nearest centimeter. This advice is also relevant for the portal's own production.
Interior design styles
The main decorative element of your fireplace should be in complete harmony with the overall style. Each house has its own style that expresses the character of the owner.
And the fireplace should complement and decorate it. Let's consider the most common options:
- The classic style provides for the severity of lines, complete symmetry and minimal use of decorative details. Such an element of decor will fit into a strict interior. Excellent portal for a fireplace in the work area. Such a part is made from any material. As a rule, such portals have a strict color: white or black.
- Country-style portals are the most suitable choice for a country house or country house style cottage. Such portals are decorated with woody brickwork fireplaces. The portal itself can have decorative elements in the form of an artificial stone.
- The Baroque-style portal should be decorated with a fireplace in the style of the 17th-18th centuries. Such an element is not suitable for modern interiors. It is designed to complement the special ancient atmosphere with its sophistication. A fireplace portal like this would look good in a house with a similar theme. An intricate relief structure will delight its owner.
- Modern combines modern trends with classic materials. Such portals are diverse in their shapes and lines. They can decorate both modern and classic interiors. Despite the variety of directions, the portals of this style are not overloaded with details.
- To decorate an electric fireplace, you can purchase a high-tech portal. This view has its own rules. A clear frame of the correct shape with drywall is a bright representative of this direction.Such portals are often used precisely for a false fireplace because drywall can overheat from contact with an open fire.
It is important to know what fireplace portals are made of. Each material has its own characteristics and is applicable to a certain type of fireplace. Materials vary in their sensitivity to high temperatures. Some portals can be used for brick fireplaces, and some cannot. Be careful, there are materials that release toxic substances when heated.
The wooden portal is often used to decorate brick fireplaces. Fireplaces with wood fuel are a source of open flames, which means that the wood goes through a series of procedures that make it fireproof. Such a part is installed as far from the firebox as possible so as not to provoke a fire. Wooden portals can be used with decorative fireplaces without the slightest risk.
There are no restrictions for decorating fireplaces with such material. Wood can be taken as a solid base or assembled from wooden parts. The cost of such portals is quite high. As a rule, all elements are made by the hands of a master. The total cost depends on the type of wood and the complexity of the carving, reliefs.
Portals for false fireplaces are made of polyurethane. The material is sensitive to high temperatures and will not tolerate the vicinity of a flame. Such material is similar to gypsum, but surpasses it in strength and durability. The surface of such a fireplace can be painted in absolutely any color and add some resemblance to more expensive materials. If the power of your electric fireplace is not higher than 2.5 - 3 kW, then a polyurethane portal is perfect for you.
Polyurethane decorative elements are popular. A variety of columns and curbs can be purchased at the construction mall. On sale there are also details with an imitation of modeling. This material can be given any desired shade. Decorative granite or ceramic tiles can decorate such a portal. Heating of the material is strictly prohibited. From this it becomes soft and gives off toxic fumes.
A marble portal will perfectly decorate the overall picture. These fireplaces are applicable in a variety of styles. The size of a portal made of natural stone can be absolutely any. A beautiful sight - flames through the portal and marble. Such a portal can be finished with malachite.
Marble portals are quite bulky and are used exclusively in homes. The uniqueness of each marble stone guarantees the uniqueness of the product. White marble is considered a classic, but other options are available. Marble retains heat well and is one of the most reliable in terms of fire safety requirements.
Marble can also become a decorative finishing material. The cost of the material sometimes does not allow the entire portal to be made. Marble chips are often added to the stone. Often, portals only imitate a marble surface. When choosing a finished product, be sure to take an interest in its composition.
A plaster portal can have a wide variety of pictorial components. This kind of portal can be made from gypsum plasterboard or gypsum fiber sheets, gypsum boards. In this case, a frame is not required. Another option is also possible - a metal frame sheathed with plasterboard. As mentioned above, this is an option for a fireplace without a source of fire. Plaster portals are often decorated with stucco moldings.
Decorative elements can be attached to a gypsum portal in two ways: with glue and with screws. The only negative point in using this material is its heavy weight. Sometimes this complicates the manufacture and installation of the fireplace portal.
Cast iron portals are ideal for real fireplaces. This material easily tolerates high temperatures for a long time.Such a portal can become a real family heirloom and serve you and your family for over 100 years. The cast iron portal will heat up in a short time, and will cool down for a long time, giving additional heat.
Portals made of mdf and polystyrene are suitable for decorating false fireplaces. Such a simple and cheap method can give an interesting result. With the right approach, the portal will look very attractive. Such material is very easy to use and is suitable for making a portal with your own hands.
The particular interest of consumers in brass portals has been noticed. The use of a brass fireplace is more common in modern style homes. Such material can have interesting paintings and ornaments. This is the best representative of excellent decor with all the severity of shapes and lines.
A false fireplace can have a mirror portal. Such an unusual detail can become a feature of the interior. Quite an interesting solution. Mirror inserts can also be found on the inside. Then the imitation of fire will dance in reflection and make you doubly happy.
Brick portals have more than just a decorative function. They accumulate heat well and are beneficial. If the brick portal is subsequently decorated, then the quality and external data of the material does not matter at all.
Decorating with ceramic tiles often attracts fireplace owners and portal manufacturers. With its help, you can level the walls, imitate other materials. The use of such decor is available for the design of portals for fireplaces with an open source of fire. The tile is absolutely not afraid of high temperatures.
For a false fireplace
The most ideal and interesting portal can be created with your own hands. There is a very simple way to create a drywall product, a beginner can easily handle it.
Before proceeding to the first stage, decide where and how the portal will be located. Manufacturing instruction:
- We make a drawing and preliminary work. This stage is performed prior to purchasing materials. Take measurements and draw a detailed drawing. Experts recommend building a life-size cardboard layout. This is how you can consider all the nuances of the work and, possibly, add some details.
- Now you can purchase all the necessary materials in the required quantity. Choose any drywall, metal profile, screws. You will also need a specialized starting and finishing putty, finishing materials to choose from. Make sure you have the necessary tools: screwdriver, metal scissors (grinder), level, tape measure.
- We make a frame in accordance with the sketches from the first stage. Do not be afraid of a variety of bends, you can easily twist drywall blanks. Therefore, rounded ends can beautify your piece. The fabricated frame is attached to the wall. Small membranes will give the structure more strength. At this stage, you can still make some amendments to the project.
- Now we cut out pieces of drywall from the slab and fasten them to the frame with screws. The distance between the screws should not exceed 10 cm. To round off the parts, you need to make an additional template that will exactly repeat the bend on the frame. On one side, the drywall is perforated with an awl or roller. We wet the surface, but not reaching the back side. Now we apply the material to the template and wrap it carefully. Further putty in this place will require some skill.
- Now you need to close up all the seams, arrange the corners and prime the surface. Choose a way to decorate the portal. To apply paint, you need to putty and level the surface several times. You can glue decorative elements after priming. The most spectacular models are decorated with the facing method.
Overview of finished branded products
Before purchasing a portal, you need to familiarize yourself with what manufacturers offer.The Dimplex company offers rather aristocratic frontal portals for electric fireplaces. There is a trend towards dark colors, but there are also white models. Such portals will attract attention with their severity and grandeur. The Queen model can be considered a good representative. Deep noble colors: cherry and walnut. Such a portal has the correct shape and will complement the interior well.
Italian manufacturers make demanded marble portals. EdilKamin can be considered a good representative. Here you will find modern style portals and more standard options. If you decide to make the portal yourself, then pay attention to the decorative details from China. They are chosen by many specialists.