In the modern world, even residents of small apartments can acquire fireplaces. Small-sized bio-fireplaces have a lot of advantages and features. Such designs are particularly environmentally friendly. Fireplaces of this type can be of absolutely any size. Instead of the once familiar firewood, alcohol is used in such a fireplace.
Typically, small fireplaces are more decorative than functional. But a tabletop fireplace can also heat a small room or just help warm up on a winter evening. Ethanol is used as fuel for fireplaces. This is a completely safe, environmentally friendly material. During combustion, ethanol does not emit toxic substances, but converts oxygen into carbon dioxide.
Design and features
Eco-fireplaces are quite elementary. A burner with an alcohol reservoir is inside. A special decoration portal is made in the outer part of the burner. In more modern models, there are special automated mechanisms for controlling the intensity of the flame. And in older versions, the fireplace goes out when the fuel burns out. Glass fireplaces do not have coals or other elements that could heat up. This design is practically not dangerous.
The burner is in the shape of a glass and is made of heat-resistant material. It is not possible to regulate the intensity of the fire using such a burner. These burners are low cost and are often used in home appliance manufacturing. Fuel blocks are more complex and expensive. In such a burner, the flame can be shut off until the fuel is completely burned out. Also, such a burner prevents foreign objects from entering the inside.
Depending on the location, fireplaces are divided into types:
- Table fireplaces have a variety of stylistic solutions and are small in size.
- A wall-mounted alcohol fireplace can add a special touch to your interior.
- The corner fireplace is installed in a small area and is visible from any point.
- The built-in unit can be placed in furniture. It looks interesting and fresh.
- Floor-standing fireplaces are an excellent solution for lovers of rearrangements. It can be moved from point to point.
The standard set includes a burner, a container for fuel, a poker, and a decorative portal. In some types there are strips for fastening the structure.
A burner is required to use the tabletop fireplace correctly. Usually this is a container in the form of a glass. All parts of the eco-fireplace are made of heat-resistant materials. The only drawback of such a burner is that there is no way to control the fire. You will not be able to adjust the intensity of the flame and extinguish it before the flammable substance runs out.
There are also quite understandable advantages of such a detail:
- One fireplace can accommodate two or more containers. This will give more functionality and originality.
- The fireplace burner is easy to use, does not require special knowledge and skills.
- These burners are quite cheap. Due to this, the design is in special demand. You can buy additional burners for an existing fireplace or parts for a self-made unit.
In addition to these burners, there are fuel blocks. This is a complex burner. Main advantages:
- The fuel compartment can be closed. Thus, the access of oxygen is blocked, and the flame is extinguished.
- The design prevents foreign objects from getting inside. This reduces the risk of fire.
The cost of a fuel block is significantly different from that of a conventional burner. Both products have their own advantages and disadvantages, the choice must be made based on your own preferences. If you have kids or pets, pay attention to the last option.
Pros and cons of eco fireplace
These fireplaces run on alcohol, dry alcohol, ethanol. All these substances are convenient in that they do not have combustion products, they emit only carbon dioxide. When using alcohol fireplaces, you should not neglect fire safety rules. Open fire should not come into contact with objects and be near flammable substances. In addition, it is worth monitoring the oxygen level in the room.
Alcohol gives a blue-white flame, not yellow, like wood. The bio fireplace does not take up useful space thanks to built-in models and small models. The fuel feature eliminates the need to make a chimney. There are also minor difficulties in using the unit. The area of the premises must be from 25 sq.m. It is imperative to ventilate the room.
The alcohol fireplace is completely safe for the environment. Unlike other fireplaces, this unit combines real fire and the absence of harmful combustion products. But fire burns oxygen into carbon dioxide. This means that the room must be well ventilated. Lack of oxygen can be seriously injured.
The open flame itself is also dangerous. Cases of ignition are possible. Install the fireplace so that there are no curtains or other objects nearby that can catch fire. Do not use volatile flammable substances near the fireplace.
How to do it yourself?
- Initially, a glass base is made. Glasses can be cut from photo frames or obtained in any other way. Glass from window frames is also suitable. With the help of a sealant, the parts are connected. It is very important to fix the parts and allow the sealant to cure completely on the surface. This process takes about a day. Then we take the blade and carefully remove the excess sealant.
- The fuel tank is an ordinary metal box. Choose products of a square or rectangular shape, this will facilitate further manipulations. Cut the metal mesh to fit the box. We put a can of fuel in a box, put a grid on top and lay it with pebbles. This will ensure even heat distribution and additional decor.
- Now make an ordinary wick from a lace. We lower it through the mesh into the inside of a metal container with alcohol. This is the last step, the fireplace can be used. One tank is enough for several heaters. Then you can replace it, or think over a way to add a flammable substance.