For furniture in the Provence style, a predominance of calm colors is characteristic: from boiling white and ivory to the shade of the summer sky and young greenery. Small bright blotches of juicy and bright colors are allowed against a general monochrome background - cheerful pink, dynamic lilac, noble turquoise.
Provencal style furniture is traditionally light, has a slightly shabby look with a touch of antiquity. It is even possible to imitate the old age of furniture - scuffs on the facades, faded paint and cracked parts. The cabinets are not particularly sophisticated and seem somewhat rude
furniture can be wooden or wicker. Forged furniture in the Provence style is also allowed. If a solid wood array seems too expensive option, you can order a cabinet made of more democratic materials such as DPS and MDF, but always with imitation wood. The external decor should also have a wooden texture
- The dimensions of the Provencal style cabinet do not matter. Here the emphasis is on shape and color. Simple lines and pastel colors are encouraged. Massive details are very characteristic of the style - for example, heavy forged copper handles.
- The presence of jewelry in the details. This can be, for example, a carved cornice or handles. You can also decorate the wardrobe with stucco molding. The front facade of the wardrobe - compartment of the Provencal style can be decorated with floral ornaments or paintings with rustic motifs.
- As for the internal filling, some details of technical progress can be allowed here - be it pantographs, compartments for household appliances, lifting mechanisms or built-in lamps. Thus, only the outer facade of the cabinet is important, behind which functional furniture equipped with the latest technology may well be present.
- Previously, the Provence style allowed the presence of only swing doors in the wardrobe, but modern fashion takes its toll and allows the option of a wardrobe - a compartment in the Provence style with sliding systems.
How to give furniture an antique look
If you want to change the style of the furniture already in the house or just refresh the interior, give a modern wardrobe - a compartment a touch of antiquity in several ways.
- Mechanical. Using sandpaper, a stiff-bristled brush, or a metal scraper, scrub the surface of the cabinet in several places, making a few scratches and bumps.
- Chemical. Paints, varnishes, and regular table vinegar can be used to create cracks and scuffs.
- Thermal. Using a candle or a soldering iron, you can make several burn marks on the front of the cabinet. They will mimic termite tracks.
Decoupage method. This is another way to remake a wardrobe to match the Provence style. We paint the surface of the cabinet cleaned of varnish with acrylic paint in several layers, letting each of them dry. Next, take a stencil with a picture on a rural theme, dilute PVA glue with water in a 1: 1 ratio and paint over the surface of the cabinet with a solution through the stencil. After an hour, cover the drawing with a layer of clear varnish and dry it
After that, apply another standing water-based varnish and use a hair dryer to dry the drawing. Hot air will crackle the varnish, thereby creating an antiquity effect. Apply gilding to the edges of the stencil as a finishing touch.
So that the Provence wardrobe is not a free-standing foreign body, it is necessary that it become part of the interior.Therefore, it is necessary to observe the style in the rest of the room decor. You can complement the spirit of the province by adding a few details to the interior with a floral print or hand-laced elements. If the closet has external shelves, you can lay napkins made of straw or with embroidery on them.
In the bedroom, hang curtains with an abundance of frills and ruffles. To match the curtains, you can lay a bedspread on the bed and decorate the bed with decorative pillows. If after repairs in a bedroom or another room you still have pieces of wallpaper, you can decorate the doors of the wardrobe with them. And then it will be one hundred percent getting into the image: the wardrobe, as it were, will merge with the room and become one with it.
A wardrobe-compartment in the Provencal style will look more harmoniously complete with the rest of the furniture. It can be a chest of drawers or a table in the same style. A fireplace with an abundance of graceful figurines, candlesticks, carved caskets and other cute trinkets looks great next to the Provence style cabinet. Wardrobes for living rooms can have a slightly more graceful shape than is typical for Provence. You can decorate them with hand-painted floral motifs.
A win-win option is a white wardrobe and white furniture in the appropriate style. This color evokes positive emotions in most people. It is often associated with luxury and aristocracy, with the French Riviera and the beaches of Saint Tropez. This is the color of serenity, bliss and tranquility. Therefore, a white wardrobe of Provencal design in the bedroom or in the room of a young girl will be especially appropriate.
Many people mistakenly believe that white is only suitable for women. It should be admitted that men also quite often choose white furniture. White wardrobe - compartment in Provence style will easily fit into any other style. And if you later want to change the direction of the provincial interior, for example, to a classic or minimalist style, then this same wardrobe will successfully fit into this interior. The same goes for Scandinavian design.
Sliding wardrobes in the Provence style are essentially no different from wardrobes in other designs and can also be either cabinet or built-in. The Provence style itself assumes the presence of light and free space. Provence style furniture is perfect for country cottages and country houses. But this does not mean that such a style cannot be created in a city apartment. The only prerequisite for this is the presence of daylight.
For the hallway, a Provence style wardrobe may have wrought iron elements. If the door of the sliding wardrobe with a mirror, it would be nice to "dress" it in an openwork metal frame, and put a clothes hanger next to it in the same style.