In order for the bath to meet all expectations, it must have a good stove. It should perform the functions of a heating element, provide safe and soft heat, and also provide heat to several rooms at once. In addition, the oven must guarantee safe use.
All of the above requirements are met by a brick oven with a firebox from the dressing room.
Features: pros and cons
The design of a stove with a firebox in a dressing room is more complex than a conventional stove. The firebox can be removable or included in a one-piece structure.
Despite the complexity of the implementation of such a project, it is worth paying attention to its following advantages:
- two rooms are warmed up at once: a dressing room and a steam room. This creates additional convenience when preparing for bathing events and staying in the dressing room after them;
- garbage along with firewood will not be brought into the steam room, which will ensure ease of cleaning, since dust will not turn into dirt in a damp room;
- it is convenient to organize a place for drying firewood near the firebox, which is impossible in a steam room;
- in the steam room, you can install brick protection, which will prevent burns;
- the steam room will keep clean air, unpolluted by smoke from burning wood when you open the door directly in the steam room;
- saving space in the steam room due to the absence of a firebox door;
- during the heating of the bath, it will not be necessary to constantly go out and go into the steam room in order to throw up firewood, which will not allow the room to cool down every time the door is opened.
Along with all the advantages of a remote firebox, such disadvantages can be noted, such as:
- the complexity of the installation, especially for a beginner in this business. To implement such a project, it is better to seek advice from specialists;
- to maintain the temperature in the steam room, you will have to leave it for less heated air.
The firebox can be placed not only in the dressing room. Sometimes she is taken out of the room.… This is implemented if the dressing room is too small, or if the bath is used for commercial gain. With such a firebox arrangement, the bath attendant does not need to enter the room to the guests, he can keep the temperature in the steam room from the street.
The advantages of this option include protection against the spread of dirt in the premises.
The material for the construction of a bath is most often initially hazardous for the outbreak of fires. To avoid fires, you need to follow the safety rules even at the planning stage of the construction site. The first time after construction, a wooden bathhouse will shrink, therefore, before installing the stove, it is necessary to make sure that the structure has settled sufficiently and will not crack.
Since the walls of the furnace unit in the bath heat up to high temperatures, which is fraught with harm to health in the form of burns, you must strictly follow the fire safety rules when installing the furnace. Installation rules are spelled out in SNiP 41-01-2003 (chapter 6.6).
- Install a solid foundation under the base of the oven. It will be adjacent to the wall between the dressing room and the steam room. It must be covered with heat-resistant material. In case of damage to the foundation, the stove can crack or lurch, and this is dangerous by a fire in a wooden building.
- From the oven door to the walls of the bath, the distance should be at least half a meter. If the stove is in a corner, then all surfaces to which it is adjacent must be insulated with a heat-resistant material.
- If the dressing room and the steam room are separated by a flammable partition, then the hole in which the fuel channel will be installed must be isolated from the tree with brickwork.
- All flammable materials must be impregnated with a special refractory agent.
- For use in a bath, the stove must be capable of self-cooling to a safe temperature of +80 degrees, since wood can spontaneously ignite from prolonged contact with a surface heated to +100 degrees.
- The chimney must be strong, of safe material and with the correct geometry.
You need to be careful with heating. When self-installation, the order must be observed and all the above recommendations must be taken into account. First of all, a work diagram and a drawing of the future product must be prepared. In this case, it will not be scary to drown.
To independently install a brick oven for a bath with a firebox from the dressing room, you should perform the following preparatory work:
- it is better to think over the place for mounting the furnace at the stage of building the premises;
- before starting work, the foundation for the furnace is equipped. For this, a foundation pit is pulled out. Its bottom is covered with crushed stone, then sand and covered with waterproofing material. The foundation is strengthened with pieces of reinforcement and poured with concrete;
- a platform for the oven is laid with bricks;
- in the area of the firebox door, a metal sheet is attached to the floor;
- the structure of the furnace, passing through the opening in the wooden wall, is lined with brickwork;
- before laying the oven, the bricks are immersed in water so that the pores of the material are filled with moisture;
- insulating material is laid between the furnace metal and the brick.
After the preparatory work, you should proceed directly to the construction of the furnace:
- The first stage is laying out the bricks of the oven itself. Brick, which is used to lay the walls of the house, will not work. For a sauna stove, you need one that has increased heat resistance. It must be in perfect shape, without cracks and chips.
- First, each row is laid out without using a solution. This is done in order to find the ideal bricks in shape and size. The laying of any of the rows begins with a corner brick.
- The first row is laid out from the corners around the perimeter. First, the mortar is applied, then a number of pre-selected bricks are laid. Before laying, each brick is dipped in water for 20 seconds. The seam thickness should be no more than 5 mm.
- The second row is laid out with an offset. The seams in the second row should be in the middle of the first. The following rows are laid out similarly.
- A blower door is installed at the level of the fourth row. It must be fixed with galvanized wire. On the side of the steam room, the stove is lined with a stone screen to protect it from burns.
- The second stage is to install the combustion door. It is fixed with galvanized wire twisted several times.
- Next, a stone chamber is being built. The size is calculated based on the number of stones. Finally, it is finished with steel sheets.
- After the furnace of the required height has been erected, a steel sheet is placed on top, on which a hole has been previously cut.
The final step is to connect the chimney to the stove. This can be done in several ways, using brick, metal or ceramics. Installation can be external and internal. Correct installation of the chimney will not only save the room from soot and soot, but also save health from the harmful effects of fuel combustion products.
A brick chimney is the safest in terms of fire safety, but its construction is a complex process. It is used to remove smoke from two or more ovens. The ceramic chimney is heavy and expensive.However, it has good characteristics: it is resistant to corrosion, does not overheat, with a smooth surface inside, which prevents the accumulation of soot on the walls. This variety is not very popular.
It is not difficult to install a metal chimney, it is affordable at a price. Of the shortcomings, rapid heating is noted, and this is fraught with ignition. In addition, condensation forms when hot air passes through the outdoor half of the pipe. therefore thermal insulation material is used in modern metal pipes… The advantage of this type of outlet pipe is the absence of edges, which makes it possible for the smoke to escape freely outside.
The external chimney is a pipe that goes out from the wall and rises along it to the roof. It will not be difficult to install such a chimney both at the construction stage and in an already finished bath. The advantages are safety, ease of maintenance. The downside is the need to insulate the pipe so that condensation does not collect inside when the temperature drops.
Installation of the pipe to the side of the wall is carried out using a bend or elbow. The chimney section passing through the brickwork of the wall is sealed with a metal box filled with heat-resistant material. The pipe is fixed vertically along the wall using holders. A protective fungus is installed on the top.
The indoor version of the chimney is a pipe extending from the sauna heater to the ceiling through the attic and the roof. The advantage of this method is the preservation of heat in the bathhouse and attic for longer. Of the minuses is the complexity of installation through the roof.
A chimney is assembled from several parts, any higher part is put on the lower one, and then it is well fastened with clamps. Before fixing the elements, the joints are lubricated with a heat-resistant sealant… The pipe is then passed through the ceiling and roof.
Places of passage of the pipe from the inside and outside are protected by an under-roof sheet and a roof cut. Heat-resistant insulation is laid around the pipe.
After laying the roof, waterproofing is carried out so that water does not get into the joints. A protective umbrella is installed on top of the pipe.
Tips & Tricks
Experts recommend adhering to the following rules:
- first of all, when installing the oven in a bath, you must act in accordance with the rules of SNiP. This will ensure operational safety and extend the service life of the heating element;
- you should not save on materials, especially on heat-resistant insulation;
- when choosing a place for a bath, it is better to give preference to a free-standing structure. If the bath is an extension to another building, then you need to take care of the insulation of the adjoining wall;
- when choosing a brick, you need to pay attention to its heat-resistant and moisture-resistant properties. If finances do not allow you to purchase an expensive brick that meets these requirements, you can cover a more affordable brick with a special compound;
- the pit for the foundation must be dug out larger than the size of the furnace. The base of the stove should be 10 cm larger than the perimeter of the heater on all sides;
- bricks with small defects can be used in the masonry of the stove, but at the same time it is impossible to lay the damaged brick inside the smoke channel and to the outside of the stove, and it is also necessary to trim the chipped edges and corners so that when laying it does not get too thick joints;
- when installing the stove into the wall of the bath, you must follow the characteristics of the unit described in the attached instructions. If the stove is made independently, then you need to take the average power values;
- the ideal chimney should be 2 m high without knees and slopes. This will provide normal traction;
- After installation, the oven should be heated several times in a gentle mode for half an hour to check its correct operation and dry.It is necessary to dry the oven so that cracks do not appear during operation;
- for several days, the stove door, as well as the windows and doors of the bathhouse, should be kept open, creating a draft in the room. The absence of condensation on the damper will be a sign that the furnace is ready;
- despite the observance of fire safety rules and the use of a high-quality stove, you need to remember about fire extinguishing means. They must be available at all times;
- the most common fire source is the ceiling. Therefore, one should not forget about its protection. It must be covered with a metal sheet;
- in the bath, it should be as safe as possible, even in case of poor health of visitors. The oven must be shielded with a protective screen.
The process of installing a stove in a bath with your own hands is laborious, but if all the recommendations are followed, we will do it. If all the requirements are followed, depending on the characteristics of the stove and the bath room itself and the correct installation, the stove will serve properly and for a long time. Therefore, you should not neglect the recommendations and advice, take a responsible attitude to the construction of a place for relaxation with your soul and body.
It will also be useful to look from the side of an experienced stove-maker in this matter, especially when erecting a brick stove. At the same time, a self-built sauna with a stove will become a source of pride for the owner.
For more information on building a brick oven for a bath, see the next video.