The area of the apartment plays a very important role for the residents of multi-storey buildings. Many of them are trying to increase this figure due to the territory of the balcony. To be able to use this space, you need to protect it from external influences. They solve this problem by glazing balconies with plastic structures.
Protective systems of this type can be roughly divided into 2 categories:
Cold glazing involves the use of profiles and double-glazed windows, which prevent the penetration of wind and precipitation into the room. Such structures retain heat very poorly. The most popular modifications of these products are based on the aluminum profile.
Warm glazing involves the formation of a kind of thermal barrier, which is an insulated profile and several layers of glass. The main material for the frame is metal-plastic structures. They can operate under significant wind loads and have a long service life.
Classification of PVC windows
The glazing system of any balcony involves the installation of window openings that allow ventilation and temperature control inside a closed room.
According to their design features, PVC windows are divided into several categories:
- Pivoting systems involve opening the sash only in the horizontal direction.
- The folding mechanisms are equipped with elements that move only in the vertical plane.
- Tilt-and-turn windows have the properties of the previously considered systems. Sash movement is possible in two directions.
- Sliding mechanisms. Windows of this type move along special guides, which allows them to be installed even in small rooms. The technology of their opening may differ, allowing you to choose the best option for a particular dwelling. Such structures are referred to as cold glazing, which must be taken into account when installing them on a loggia.
We study the characteristics before buying
Installation of double-glazed windows and insulation of balconies is a very costly process. The system formed in this case must retain its properties for a long time. To achieve a high-quality and reliable effect, you need to correctly approach the choice of plastic frames.
Experts recommend paying attention to several indicators during the purchase:
- First of all, you need to carefully evaluate all purchased attributes, from fittings to a profile. All of them must be free of any visible damage (cracks, etc.).
- The composition of the PVC profile must include metal inserts (thickness from 1.2 to 1.5 mm), which increase its rigidity and strength. It is desirable to give preference to materials made of galvanized steel. Such attributes perfectly tolerate mechanical loads and are very difficult to corrode.
- Carrying out warm glazing of balconies with plastic windows, it is advisable to give preference to 3-chamber double-glazed windows. Please note that the optimum glass thickness is 4 mm.
- The fittings provide all the functionality of this system, so you should not skimp on such elements. Experts recommend buying quality movements from well-known manufacturers.
- The price for the installation of metal-plastic windows depends on several factors, such as the size of the balcony, the number of opening sashes and whether the system needs additional equipment (anti-burglar fittings, etc.). You can clarify the amount using special calculators that are present on any site that sells these products.
Positive and negative sides
Plastic has been used as a basis for obtaining a window profile for a very long time. There are many different opinions among professionals and consumers about this material.
To understand why PVC glazing is so attractive, you should evaluate the advantages of this material:
- Persistence. Plastic perfectly withstands temperature extremes, retaining its basic properties for a long time. Frames made from this product can withstand significant mechanical stress. This property is used in order to organize a small extension of the frame outside the main support.
- Ease of installation. Glazing of loggias does not require special knowledge and can be done by hand.
- Plastic. The polymers are excellently processed, which makes it possible to obtain complex forms of frameworks (arches, etc.). It is almost impossible to do this with metal or wood.
- Tightness. Products based on plastic perfectly keep not only temperature, but also have high-quality soundproofing characteristics.
The disadvantages of PVC glazing include several weighty characteristics:
- Polymers are flammable, since the substance perfectly supports combustion with the release of toxic substances.
- In the absence of ventilation, the windows sweat from the inside. Condensation that accumulates in this way can cause mold and increase dampness. This has a detrimental effect on human health. The problem can be eliminated by installing additional supply ventilation or by constantly manually ventilating the room.
- If the frame is installed incorrectly, this will lead to its rapid wear and the need to replace structural elements.
- A profile made of low-quality plastic can release allergic pathogens or toxic substances into the air, which will accumulate in the body and disrupt its work.
We make glazing ourselves
The technology of installing plastic systems on a balcony consists of several sequential stages:
Preparing the space. This procedure involves the removal of all old structural elements present in the given room. Then the frame is formed for the window frames. If the railing was previously installed here, then these metal structures can serve as the basis for the future support and should not be dismantled.
After that, the balcony canopy is strengthened with a special roofing steel, which must also be protected with a polymer layer. Attach the material to the base with anchor bolts or dowels. Then the PVC profile is mounted with the same anchor bolts. When performing this process, it is advisable to control the level in order to position the frame evenly.
At this stage, the frame is installed. Align it in the same plane with the parapet (in no case from the outside). Then the drain is attached from the bottom of the frame and it is checked how even the entire structure is exposed.
The frame is fixed with polyurethane foam. When all the holes are closed, the sashes are hung and all the glass units are installed.
Please note that it is almost impossible to achieve maximum insulation by installing only a plastic window. To do this, you need to finish all surfaces with insulation and decorative panels.
Carrying out such repairs requires adherence to the manufacturer's recommendations. If the balcony frames are large, then it is advisable to entrust their installation to the specialists of the manufacturer of these products.
The quality of such products today depends on the manufacturer and the price. Therefore, it is important, before buying, to take into account the reviews of the owners of balcony openings who have already experienced this product. Today, there are several enterprises on the market, whose products differ in good indicators:
Siegenia-Aub. The company focuses on the manufacture of windows of non-standard size and shape. The products are characterized by high quality and reliability.
G-U is a company that develops anti-burglar fittings. The products are highly reliable and are popular with the owners of prestigious apartments.
Maco. The company orientates the client to the most modern microclimate control systems. The mechanisms are perfectly combined with any size of the premises, creating the optimal performance for the stay.
A lot of enterprises are engaged in the production of plastic profiles today. Among them, one can single out the company Veka, which is already gradually losing its position, since it does not comply with environmental standards in the production of plastic. Still, its products remain one of the highest quality on the market.
For cold regions, experts recommend buying a profile of the KBE, PROPLEX and EXPROF brands.
The products of the firms REHAU, MONTBLANC and ALUPLAST also show very good quality. The latter manufacturer is also distinguished by the presence of powerful glazing, which is used to protect balconies from burglary.
When installing such systems, give preference to trusted manufacturers of components, and reliable installers. Plastic glazing is a unique opportunity to transform a cold room into a cozy room.