Features of the
The overhead sink for the kitchen got its name because during the installation of this structure, the sink is superimposed over the cabinet with which it is connected. The practical modern model has become the most demanded among consumers today. You can purchase a sink separately, however, for proper operation, you definitely need a cabinet made exactly to size.
Without exaggeration, the overhead sink can be called the most important item in the interior. The kitchen sink is used daily to wash food, which is then used to prepare food. After each meal, the dishes are loaded into the sink, and if you often receive guests, a large model of the sink is especially important for you in the kitchen. Distinguish between single steel sinks and those that include several bowls for dishes. Freshly washed or dirty dishes and other items are usually placed on the metal countertop to the right or left of the bowl. This surface is an alternation of small depressions and depressions. This kind of corrugation of the metal table top prevents objects from rolling back into the bowl.
Bumpers are made in front and on the sides of the sink, allowing it to be securely attached to the cabinet. At the rear, the sink is raised so that water does not spill outside the sink. For the convenience of the cleaning procedure, this piece of kitchen interior is most often rectangular in shape, and the edges are smoothed.
The emergency drain provided in the design is located in the opening of the rear wall. It is connected to the main one, duplicates its functions, preventing the sink from overflowing with water. In addition, in steel models, a special mesh is often attached to the drain hole. It is needed to avoid large residues and dirt from getting inside, which can clog the sewer pipe. The stopper supplied with the sink allows you to close the hole and draw water into the bowl to soak the dishes using detergent.
Experts draw the attention of buyers primarily to the shape of the sink. The geometry must be correct, without distortions, in this case it will be easy for you to choose a cabinet for your sink and install it correctly.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of an overhead sink include:
- Simple and easy installation. At the same time, all structural elements are easily accessible and replaceable. The classic single sink made of stainless steel is especially easy to install. The cabinet without back wall provides excellent access to water supply and sewer pipes.
- Comparative low cost, allowing you to easily purchase a sink of the configuration you need. Mortise models are much more expensive and more difficult to install. Affordable price refers to the unconditional advantages of this design, which made it the most popular among a wide range of buyers.
- Long service life. The wear of stainless steel is minimal and the material is practically non-corrosive and not easily scratched. High-quality sheet steel easily withstands the heavy weight and pressure of constantly pouring water without forming dents.
- Attractive look. The overhead sink meets a number of important requirements in the interior. It is not only outwardly aesthetic, but also multifunctional. At the sink, a support and a dish drainer are very often strengthened. Inside the cabinet, they place the necessary items, place a bin for garbage, you can put things that are rarely used and detergents on the shelves.
The advantages of an overhead sink, along with the above, include ease of cleaning. Such a sink is easily cleaned of grease and dirt, remaining shiny and beautiful even after several years of correct use.
There are drawbacks, but they are minor. The main noise is considered to be caused by water falling on the metal. You can reduce the noise level from water jets if you buy a sink with the most powerful and thick walls - the thickness of the steel should be more than one millimeter.
In addition, during installation, it is not always possible to completely eliminate the small gaps and gaps that arise between the cabinet and the sink. Therefore, it is necessary to constantly monitor that the pressure of the water is not prohibitive, the water is not sprayed in all directions so strongly as to fill the sink and seep inside. Sometimes the disadvantages of overhead sinks, especially thin-walled ones, include poor fixation of the mixer. Experienced experts recommend the following in this case: in order to fix the mixer and fix it securely on the sink, you should always use sealants during installation.
There are several types of sinks. In addition to stainless sheet steel, they are made of various materials and are capable of forming an overhead structure together with the curbstone. Overhead sinks are widely available for sale and are made from the following compositions:
- Plastic mass. This is a lightweight and convenient model, not much different from a plastic bowl with a drain hole. If the sink is made of fiberglass-reinforced acrylic, it may also have holes for mounting a mixer. True, it is undesirable to put very heavy and massive dishes in it.
- Cast iron with enamel. It has long been considered the ideal material for baths and sinks. One could agree with this if it were not for the enamel - it is not strong enough for constant contact with sharp objects and heavy objects and can crack.
- Porcelain stoneware. This material, used in all types of washing structures, has a serious weight. Porcelain stoneware slabs are not inferior in strength to stone or marble. The aesthetic sink from this composition is designed for the elite kitchen, creating a special style. An overhead sink made of porcelain stoneware is a status and expensive purchase for your interior. Nice design overcomes some of the same overhead connections that are often accused of by users.
Overhead sinks are produced by the industry in several standard sizes, among which the parameters of 60x50 cm are recognized as universal. It is easy to find an underframe for a sink with these dimensions and equip a work area in the kitchen interior, as well as under sinks with small and convenient dimensions - 50x50, 40x50 and 60x60 cm.
It is a little more difficult to organize a place for a sink, which has among the standard maximum parameters - 800x600 mm. There is a risk that the tap will be too far away and you will have to reach for it, so you need to think about the design and location of the sink in advance. The optimum depth is 19 cm. At this depth, the sink will be able to accommodate a sufficient amount of dishes, during which the water will not splash out of the sink.
How to choose
When choosing, you should rely on your own taste, the size of the room and the style of your kitchen. It is best to heed a few helpful tips from kitchen interior designers that can help you navigate the options on offer
- Consider the size of your kitchen area. The sink should take up the maximum space allowed. For her, the site is designed in advance, before the furniture from the headset is placed.
- It is most convenient to wash food and dishes in a sink with several bowls, so specialists, and the housewives themselves, usually give preference to this type.
- Choose the strongest, thickest-walled structures that can withstand temperature changes and weight loads.
- The careful choice of the material from which the sink is made deserves attention. Each interior has its own type of coating - metal, stone or agglomerate, enamel surfaces.
- The beautiful and aesthetic appearance of the overhead sink will delight you every day, therefore, it is no less important in the product than its functional properties. Needless to say, the attractiveness of a model must be combined with high quality.
- When buying, pay attention first of all to the shape of the sink. If the geometry is correct, it will be easy for you to choose a cabinet for your sink, install and successfully position it among the kitchen furniture.
A neatly assembled model including an overhead washbasin connected to a vanity unit brightens up your kitchen space. Simple assembly and installation operations can be done by hand. After all, an overhead sink is number one in terms of ease of installation work.
If you decide to assemble the structure with your own hands, the work is performed in two stages: first, the cabinet is mounted, and then the sink itself is attached to it. The frame for the sink is modeled especially carefully. It must meet a number of requirements: it must be raised above the floor level and made of waterproof materials, and also be strong enough to support the weight of the sink itself, especially if it is made of heavy compounds - stone or durable cast iron.
A curbstone without a wall at the back is called an underframe. Sometimes it is equipped with an upper part, sometimes it does not have a lid. Preparing the cabinet for attaching and securing the sink is one of the simplest assembly operations.
Without exception, all components can be purchased at hardware stores, if they were not sold with the sink. In addition, you will need the following equipment and parts:
- Screws and other fasteners.
- Sealant for fixing the steel sink to the cabinet.
- Hacksaw or jigsaw, screwdrivers and screwdrivers.
First you need to turn the sink over and outline its contours on the countertop. After that, holes are drilled to facilitate the work of a hacksaw to cut the material inside the outlined line. Having taken out the sawn-off piece of material, the finished cutout along the edges is processed by grinding. On the upper edge of the underframe, fastening elements are screwed on from the inside. Apply sealant along the edges of the cutout and sink, apply a sealing tape. Having installed the sink on the countertop, press it tightly and screw the fasteners. It remains only to connect the previously prepared siphon to the sewer and attach the door to the cabinet with the sink. The mixer is also installed prior to assembly.