Sheds and utility blocks are often made of wood. It is a pliable and environmentally friendly material that is easy and convenient to work with. In this article, you will learn all about the construction of wooden sheds and utility blocks.
Features of the
Today, in many outbuildings, you can find outbuildings built from such an environmentally friendly material as wood. A variety of structures can be made from it: from chicken coops to spacious utility units for storing agricultural machinery and equipment. In wood, homeowners are attracted not only by its spectacular appearance, but also by its ease of work. Most wooden buildings can be built with your own hands.
Sheds and utility blocks made of wood have their own strengths and weaknesses. Before erecting such adjoining buildings, you should understand what they are attractive, and what are their shortcomings.
First, let's look at the advantages of wooden sheds and utility blocks
- Such structures are quite easy to build. The fact is that wood is a pliable material that is convenient to work with. Even an inexperienced craftsman who has not faced such tasks before can build a good wooden shed.
- Wood is an environmentally friendly, safe material. It does not emit harsh chemical odors, and cannot adversely affect human health. Landings located in the immediate vicinity of such buildings will also not be affected in any way.
- A well-made wooden shed may well become not only functional, but also a decorative addition to the local area. High-quality buildings, the design of which the master paid due attention to, will be a real decoration of the site.
- These buildings can be relatively inexpensive to build., especially when comparing wooden structures with metal ones.
- Wooden house buildings can perform a variety of functions. Such structures can be additionally insulated or left without insulation, as well as made buildings adapted for tools, garden equipment or livestock - there are a lot of options. Farmers and gardeners alike can build neat agricultural blocks out of wood for a myriad of tasks.
Properly made and quality wood sheds have many benefits. However, these structures are not without some disadvantages. Let's consider the most serious of them.
- The main disadvantage seen behind wooden outbuildings is that they need regular maintenance. Wood is a material that can quickly dry out, begin to rot under the influence of moisture, and deteriorate due to wood parasites. You can prevent such problems through timely antiseptic treatments. They need to be done regularly, which worries many homeowners. In addition, additional money is spent on special protective equipment.
- No matter how carefully you take care of the tree from which the barn is built, it will still start to deteriorate over time. Such structures are not designed for record-breaking service lives. Whatever the owners do, the buildings near the houses will have to be repaired and restored sooner or later.
- Wood is a fire hazardous material. If you make a shed or utility block out of it, it will turn out to be unreliable from the point of view of fire safety.
Such constructions not only burn like matches, but also actively support and spread the flame. This is a very serious drawback that must not be forgotten.
As in the situation with any other country and farm buildings, before building a shed or utility block, the master must develop its detailed plan. It is imperative to complete all the necessary drawings, which will indicate the required dimensional parameters of the future adjoining buildings. The project of a shed or utility block for a summer residence can be developed independently. If there is no proper experience in such matters, it is advisable to use ready-made schemes. Let's take a look at some of them.
Buildings with a gable roof are very popular. Such a utility block may look like a small house in the yard. It can be equipped with an entrance area covered by a second roof slope. Such a building is shown in the diagram. If done correctly, it will turn out to be very comfortable and attractive
A shed in the courtyard of a private house is capable of performing several functions at the same time. The building can serve as a barn, and a woodshed, and an outdoor toilet. On the considered project of such a structure, you can see the simplest pitched roof. The structure turns out to be both functional and quite roomy
On the adjacent territory, it is possible to construct a large frame farm building with dimensions of 6x3 and a height of 2.7 m. The diagram shows a standard rectangular building with a simple pitched roof. Here, households can place many different things, objects and tools, or equip a recreation area - it all depends on the wishes of the owners
There are many more different types of farm blocks or sheds that can be built on the site. The structure can be supplemented with a canopy, small terrace or other functional component. The main thing is to indicate all the components on the plan of the future construction.
Where to locate?
It is very important to correctly choose the ideal place to build a wooden shed or utility block. When choosing a zone for a future structure, you need to take into account some of the nuances:
- the structure must be located as conveniently as possible in relation to a residential building and other outbuildings;
- a shed or utility block should not occupy the territory that was originally allocated for garden planting;
- the new building should look harmoniously against the background of the surrounding buildings.
These are not all the requirements that need to be met when choosing a place for a barn. There are also other important rules to consider.
So, if you have planned to keep pets in a wooden shed, then you will need to make the following indents:
- the distance from neighboring possessions must be at least 4 m;
- it is necessary to maintain a distance of up to 15 m from a residential building;
- from a well for drinking water - 30-50 m.
For construction, it is best to choose a place that is located at least on a small hill. In such conditions, the structure will not be flooded by rain or melt water. You can place the shed upwind to protect it from strong gusts of wind. The outbuilding should not interfere with neighbors or block the access of sunlight to their area.
If you do not follow this rule, neighbors can later file a complaint against you. As a result, the court will force you to dismantle the shed or move it to another place.
How to choose a foundation?
For a shed or utility block on the site, you need to build a high-quality and reliable foundation. There are several different types of such bases. Let's consider how to choose the best option.
For the construction of a utility block or a shed made of wood, many homeowners choose this type of foundation foundation. As a result, structures are obtained that are optimal in terms of the ratio of quality and ease of construction. The strip foundation is equipped along the perimeter of the walls of the future building.True, it takes quite a lot of time and materials to make this base. The main advantage of the strip foundation is that it can easily withstand even very heavy loads.
This foundation is done like this:
- dig a trench with a depth of 50 and a width of 40 cm;
- fall asleep sand-crushed stone pillow;
- expose the formwork;
- lay a layer of waterproofing;
- mount the reinforcing cage;
- the workpieces are poured with concrete.
A very popular and widespread option. It is considered relatively inexpensive to build. Single supports of this foundation are placed around the perimeter of the future structure. We are also talking about the corners at the points where the partitions adjoin, if any are provided for by the project. To make a high-quality columnar foundation, pits of suitable depth are first dug for the columns. The pillars themselves are often made of bricks or cinder blocks.
The considered type of foundation is considered budgetary and is built quite simply, therefore it has become very popular. Sometimes a columnar foundation is constructed from pipes. To do this, drill holes with a drill, fill them with a sand cushion, and also lay a layer of waterproofing. Asbestos-cement pipes are exposed, fixing the correct location, reinforcement rods are installed inside, and then everything is poured with concrete. The pit is filled up after all the necessary components have hardened.
The pile-type foundation, like the columnar base, provides for the installation of single supports along the perimeter of the future building on the site. In most cases, the installation of piles is carried out by special organizations. Mainly, screw structures made of practical metal are used. They are screwed in by means of special mechanized equipment or a manual lever device.
After completing the installation of the piles for the foundation, the upper part of the supports is cut in accordance with the horizontal level. A concrete solution is poured into the cavity of the piles with layer-by-layer compaction by means of a special vibrating machine. The fresh solution must be covered with a film and left for subsequent hardening for about 5-7 days.
Option without foundation
If a wooden utility block or shed is temporary, then there is no need to make a foundation for them. It is allowed to use boards and beams in the base. However, the area of the shed should not be more than 20 square meters. m, and its height is limited to 2.5 m. Too high and spacious construction will be sailing and may move (or even turn over) due to gusts of wind.
The basis of the type in question is equipped as follows:
- leveled, compacted the site, supplemented with a sprinkling of fine gravel and sand;
- deepen the corner posts into the ground by 60-70 cm;
- construct a frame base from a bar of 50x100 mm.
How to build?
You can easily build a wooden shed with your own hands. Consider a step-by-step instruction on how to make a high-quality building in the local area.
- First, they make the foundation. Features of the construction of bases of different types are indicated above.
- This is followed by the construction of a frame consisting of the following components: racks, a bar of the upper and lower strapping, lintels, inclined jibs. All these elements must be connected in series with each other.
- Also, the assembly of the frame can be done using a method called "platform". In this case, large parts will need to be fastened like large-sized sections on the surface of subfloors.
The frame assembly process consists of the following steps
- A lower trim bar is installed on the waterproofing layer of the foundation. Fastened with anchors, bolts or studs.
- Lay the floor logs.
- From the corners, they begin to expose the racks in increments of 60 cm. The strapping bar is fixed from above.
- The openings are additionally reinforced with boards.
- The frame is reinforced with plank jibs or perforated steel strips.
- Further, the base is sheathed with finishing materials, window structures and doors are attached.
- The roof can be mounted with a single-slope or double-slope. The crate for her is built from an inch board.
When the phased installation of the frame is completed, you can proceed to finishing the resulting structure. For such purposes, you need to choose a building material that will be practical, durable and attractive. There are many options for how to qualitatively finish a finished shed or a wooden household block on the site. The structure can be painted in your favorite color or revetted with a suitable material. Often the buildings in question are trimmed from the outside with siding or other building material of a similar type. As a result, the buildings are very neat, attractive and well-groomed.
Many homeowners are resorting to painting a new wooden shed. To do this, you can choose a paint of the color that will look harmonious against the background of other objects and structures located on the site.
Board sheds are also very often covered with high-quality varnish, but only after preliminary sanding. This gives buildings a very aesthetic and presentable appearance.
For information on how to build a frame of a wooden shed with your own hands, see the next video.