Installing doors, especially interior doors, is not a super difficult task, however, it involves a number of specific actions, thanks to which the door will function perfectly and look aesthetically pleasing. It very often happens that when installing an interior door, ordinary or for a pencil case, an additional board is used. What it is and what it is intended for, we will consider in this article.
What it is?
The process of installing an interior door includes several stages:
- collecting a box or frame in which the door will function;
- exposing and securing the box in the doorway;
- door leaf preparation, fittings installation;
- installation of the canvas in the box, fitting and adjustment;
- finishing with platbands of the doorway.
Dobornik on interior doors - it is a decorative element that is a box expanderif it does not match the width of the opening. It seems to continue the door frame, creating a single and integral structure. Essentially, it is a 90-degree slope made of rectangular planks and a casing made of hard materials.
What do they look like?
Additional planks have a wide range of color options. In the overwhelming majority of cases, they are made of the same material as the door frame with the door. Therefore, it is more profitable to purchase additional fittings together with a door and a frame from one manufacturer or company. In the assembled form, the addons are U-shaped.
Cloths of addons made of wood-chip materials can be with a protective edge, or their ends remain untreated. Also, a groove can be made on the edge on one side, and a spike on the other. Such extensions are a type of lining. Telescopic boxes are completed with such accessories.
Why do we need it?
Doors on interior doors hide all defects of the opening, protect against mechanical stress, serve as additional reinforcement of the box, as well as an important decoration of the door.
The standard dimensions of the width of the door frame are 80 cm and 100 cm. If the width of the doorway is larger than these dimensions, then during installation there is free space that needs to be refined. You can, of course, order a box of any width corresponding to the size of the doorway, but the work made to order increases the cost of the purchased product several times compared to a standard order. And even more so when the door is made of rare wood.
It is for that to close this free space and save on material, and you need an element such as dobras. They serve to create your own design, make it possible to realize your imagination by choosing material, color, style and shape.
The aesthetics of the entire interior depends on the carefully made door slope.
What types are there?
The types of add-ons differ in the installation method:
You can attach them to the door frame both before and after installation, when the jamb is securely installed. For fastening before installation, use either small self-tapping screws or glue.
You can fasten the box with the add-on using thin metal plates. For example, pieces of "crocodiles" (fasteners for attaching the rails) used to mount the frame for drywall.
Methods for collecting extras on the box before its installation:
- To begin with, we assemble the box, sawing the guides at 90 or 45 degrees, more than the width of the door leaf by 6 mm, for a working gap of 3 mm along the perimeter of the door leaf. If there is no quarter-shaped groove on the guides on the back side, it must first be made on a circular machine or using a milling cutter. Using a chisel for this work is time consuming and requires professionalism to achieve the desired quality. The width of the quarter is chosen according to the width of the extension, and the depth is about a centimeter.
- We cut off the selected extension to the width necessary to close the opening together with the box. Cut the vertical and horizontal strips to length in such a way that the horizontal piece overlaps the vertical ones.
- We make the formwork around the perimeter from the seamy side of the box from even material, for example, from drywall. For what its strips are about the size of the prepared complement, we screw them to the box with screws.
- Align the vertical parts of the door frame with the floor at an angle of 90 degrees.
- We put glue into the groove (any for wood or liquid nails), insert the addition, adjust it so that there are no cracks. From above, for the fortress, you can pull off the parts of the extension with self-tapping screws, be sure to drill the holes with a thin drill for the entire length of the self-tapping screw so that the canvas does not swell or crack. Then we leave to dry. As soon as it dries, remove the formwork and mount the jamb.
You can do without glue… Planks are prepared in the same way. On the back side of the box, where the quarter is located, plates are screwed, addons are inserted and fastened with short self-tapping screws.
If there is no groove, you can cut the panels from the selected material with a width corresponding to the width of the overlapping opening. Collect a box from the doboks, and insert the door frame into the inside. It is possible to do this only if the extension is thin, or if the distance allows for the installation of the entire structure as an assembly, and the platband is wide enough to cover the installation seam.
Methods for installing add-ons on a mounted box are used when there is an already installed jamb with a door, and the box has a quarter to add.
- This area is freed from foam and thoroughly cleaned.
- Using a tape measure and a corner, measure the distance from the groove in the quarters to the end of the opening, in several places around the entire perimeter.
- Cut to length and width of the workpiece. They are inserted into the groove, and in this place the extensions are propped up in several places to the box, for example, with a bicycle thermometer or pieces of frozen foam, polystyrene. Then they are wedged so that there are no cracks and the extensions stand at 90 degrees relative to the plane of the door.
- Construction foam is applied only to the part that is in the place of contact. After the foam hardens, you can process the entire slope with it. It is better to use foam with a low expansion coefficient for installation. If there is no groove, then the dobro sheet is slipped under the box, wedged and foamed.
The second method, which is used if it is not possible to put the add-on on the foam, and the thickness of the add-on allows you to drill through it:
- We make several holes in the extension bar. Three holes are enough in the horizontal bar, and four holes in the vertical ones. In the place of the holes, with a larger diameter drill, we make recesses in order to drown the caps of the screws.
- Using a tape measure and a corner, we measure the distance from the box to the edge of the opening. Cut off the width of the extension to the largest size. Prerequisite: the dimensions at the joints of one plank with another, that is, in the corners, must be the same.
- We cut out small even rectangular blocks from the material at hand and slip them under the box in the places of fasteners. We drive screws into the slats, apply them to the box, press them against the bars and pull them with a screwdriver, making sure that there are no cracks at the joints. This can be done if the width of the addition is not more than 20 cm.The box can be assembled in the same way prior to installation.
- A thin rail, such as glazing bead, is nailed onto the box, no more than 10/10 mm in size around the entire perimeter. If there is no rail, then at a distance of about 5 mm from the inner edge of the box, screws are screwed along the perimeter or nails are hammered. The hats are cut off with a grinder, leaving the pins about a centimeter.
- The extensions are prepared in the above way, wedged and more spacers are added between the side extensions in the place where the nails were nailed and from the floor to the horizontal extension. It is better to fix the endings with masking tape from one wall to another through the opening. And they foamed in the same way.
Method four - lathing of an unclosed opening:
- For this, blocks are prepared no thicker than the gap between the opening and the box, or slightly thicker, but in this case, a line is drawn along the entire perimeter of the box at the same distance for a reference point. Any length, so long as it does not crack during installation. Width from the box to the edge of the opening.
- They are mounted on dowels to concrete and brick, using a building level and a corner. Dobors are prepared in the same way. Attached to the bars with liquid nails. After drying, it can be foamed for sound insulation.
- You can attach the extensions directly to the opening with liquid nails if they overlap the mounting seam with their thickness. To do this, glue is applied to the opening pointwise. They take a block of a meter - one and a half, apply it to the slope and level the plane with the help of a mallet. Secure with masking tape until dry.
- Clamps can be used to secure the extensions to the box. To do this, prepare extensions in length and width, assemble a box from them, apply liquid nails to the end, apply to the jamb and tighten with clamps until dry.
This type of add-ons is assembled like a constructor. It is advisable to use an edging milling machine in the work. Without it, it is quite difficult to make cuts at 45 degrees, using a simple miter box for this. Therefore, when assembling the box at 90 degrees, it is necessary to ensure that the groove for the addition at the junction is solid. Addons are inserted into it, having a spike on one side, and on the other a groove into which the platband is inserted.
The depth of the groove is 15 mm, which makes it possible to "walk" in dimensions in width when purchasing or adjusting the add-on and cashing. The steps for measuring, cutting and fixing are the same as for straight strips.
Their convenience lies in the fact that they are easily assembled together, and make it possible to cover any distance.
Combined types of add-ons are corner strips made of fiberboard, MDF, PVC - they are both add-on and cashing at the same time. Use this type of additional planks with insufficient overlap distance. Fastened mainly to liquid nails.
Standard sizes of extensions on the market:
- thickness 6-30 mm;
- width 50-250 mm;
- length 2100 mm.
The width of the telescopic panels is 90, 120, 150 mm. The quarter on the add-on box is most often 10/10 mm, so the thickness of the plank is chosen 1 cm.
The required plank width is the width of the opening minus the width of the door frame, plus a quarter, if any. Additional boards can be prepared by hand. Such an element of non-standard sizes can be made to order.
In most cases, extensions are in the form of a flat panel. If necessary, an arch-shaped extension can be made. Often, various accessories are added for decoration, for example, in the form of stucco molding. The slope in the form of a column looks interesting.
Materials for add-ons can be very different:
- metal-reinforced sandwich panels;
- solid timber or assembly-glued timber;
- MDF boards, less often chipboard, fiberboard strips.
Glass, natural or artificial veneer are used as finishing.
They also use plastic film, varnish or paint.
How to choose?
The additional board is selected according to the color or pattern that matches the door.As a rule, this is one and the same material, everything is done in the same color and monolithic. But modern designers can sometimes experiment: highlight the platbands in darker tones or make the entire slope bright.
What to replace?
The uncovered space left free after installation can be plastered and then painted or wallpaper glued. But due to the intensity of the use of the doorway, these places will get dirty or exposed to accidental mechanical stress. To avoid loss of appearance, you can put metal finishing.
Plasterboard, wall panels are also used, tiles are laid, foam rubber is glued and covered with fabric.
How to install a do-it-yourself add-on, see below.