Special attention is paid to the construction of country houses today. It is important that the building is beautiful, functional and as spacious as possible. The attic significantly saves on building materials and additional space for housing. In most cases, this room does not require capital investment for the construction of walls and ceilings.
Consider the features of the layout of one-story houses with an attic.
Features of the
The construction of a residential building on the same floor as the attic is subject to a number of factors. Before drawing up a project, they inspect the site. It is important to choose the highest point for construction, you cannot build a house in the lowland.
They are considering the convenience of approaching the house, distance from the roadway.
The presence of an attic makes the house more functional. Its distinguishing feature from the usual attic space is insulation.
The space located under the roof slopes is generally accepted as residential and is documented as part of a residential building. Unlike the attic, its footage is included in the total area of the house.
In most cases, the attic is an entire floor. In order for its space to be sufficient, it is necessary to consider the shape of the roof, which is at the same time a roof, and the walls of the attic.
The complexity of the design is the presence of beams, as well as the low height of the walls (sometimes about 0.8 - 0.9 m). This often forces you to install furniture in strictly defined places.
Depending on the type of roof, the roof can have from one to eight or more slopes. If he is alone, such a layout will significantly limit the design possibilities in the future.… When there are two slopes, the height of the walls on the sides often does not allow the household to be at full height.
If the roof is broken, the possibilities of interior design are increased.… This will allow you to equip the premises for any room for the purpose.
Another unusual factor is the presence of windows on the ceiling or inclined slopes. As a rule, they are small in size and do not provide sufficient illumination. For this reason, it is necessary to deliberately design the space in light colors or visually draw out the complex perspective of the rooms.
Often, the attic has partitions that additionally break the perspective. They must be turned into virtues.
Another feature of a one-story house with an attic is the mandatory presence of a staircase. It is the connecting link between the ground floor and the attic space. In this case, the attic can consist of several rooms or one, conditionally resembling an open plan.
A mandatory task in this case is a clear zoning of space into separate functional zones without visual overload.
Advantages and disadvantages
Let's briefly note the main advantages of a one-story house with an attic:
- It significantly saves the usable area of the main building. This allows you to allocate additional rooms for receiving and accommodating guests, separate dining rooms, spaces for games, a home library, a billiard room.
- Such a house is more insulated. In addition to the underfloor heating system, walls (roof) are insulated in the attic floor. Due to this, heat loss can be reduced.
- It is easy to carry out communications in the attic.Due to the use of modern technologies, you can choose modern hidden-type lighting for it, in terms of the level and shade of the luminous flux equal to the natural one.
- With a careful design approach, you can install a fireplace. This will add an atmosphere of home comfort to the attic and allow it to be set aside for a place of comfortable rest.
- The presence of an attic will allow you to use it as a separate corner for those household members who need privacy (for example, for work or meditation).
- Depending on the type of layout and the available footage, the attic space can be used as a bathroom, bedroom, study, home library, children's room, living room and even a dining room with a kitchen.
- The attic space is not limited in the choice of interior style. Depending on your budget and taste, you can customize it in any style.
- The unusual top floor could become a temporary shelter in case of renovations on the ground floor. You don't have to move out if you suddenly need to install a new ceiling covering or wallpaper. The upper floor can be used as a full-fledged living area.
- At the top of a one-story house, you can separate the space for a storage room. This will remove from sight a lot of little things that create a sense of clutter.
- The attic does not limit household members in the manifestation of imagination when arranging it. You can bring any creative idea to life. At the same time, nothing prevents you from conveying your inner world, in which you will be comfortable.
We also note the disadvantages of one-story buildings with an attic:
- The attic is difficult to use rationally. This requires a particularly careful approach. If you do not use every corner, the space will seem uninhabited.
- The roof determines the functionality of the attic. Often, it clearly indicates the footage of each separate zone, the possibility of placing this or that furniture in it.
- Insulation of walls or the use of sheathing (suspended) ceiling structures conceals the total volume of the attic area. If it is spacious, this is not scary, but when every centimeter of usable area is important, it will be noticeable.
- It is better to use light materials in the construction and decoration of the attic that do not burden the weight load on the frame.
- Installation of roof windows is more complicated than traditional counterparts. The technology on an inclined surface is more expensive, moreover, it is difficult for self-assembly. To carry out their installation hermetically and professionally, you will have to contact a specialist.
- Ceiling structures will also be challenging. To avoid deformation, literally every centimeter will have to be measured, which is complicated by the presence of protrusions, beams and corner joints.
Depending on whether the attic space follows the shape of the first floor, the layout may be different. When making plans for a cottage, they proceed from the total footage of each level of the building.
In addition, the presence of a basement, a terrace, a veranda matters. The original solution is the presence of a balcony, a veranda on the attic floor. Often, the layout includes the creation of a bay window ledge.
Consider the basic design rules that are mandatory for the construction of any building with an attic:
- Calculate the weight load. The base should be reliable and durable, and the attic floor should be light, but sufficient for living and daily use.
- The height of the roof should not be less than 2.5 m. Household discomfort is unacceptable. This visually makes the space uncomfortable and minimizes the use of the attic.
- Roof design can increase the space by 90%. Broken gable systems are preferred. This will make it possible to make a suspended ceiling, use lamps on suspensions, and arrange furniture more freely.
- Drawing up a project involves calculating the conduct of heating, electricity, water.Nothing should affect comfort.
- Any little thing is applied to the plan: from the size and places for window openings to the location of lighting devices and the arrangement of furniture. A project usually consists of several drawings.
- Each type of material planned for use is taken into account. If a canopy is planned for the terrace, the awning is taken care of in advance, choosing the best and most reliable folding and assembly mechanism.
- The project takes into account the convenient installation of stairs, fire safety, the number and purpose of rooms, and has an evacuation plan.
Better to build houses with a terrace or veranda. Such projects make it possible to make even small buildings cozy and multifunctional.
Layouts differ depending on the size of the house:
10x12 m… The layout provides for an office, bathroom, hall, kitchen and living room on the 1st floor. The ground floor is reserved for the garage, boiler room, hall and gym. The attic is equipped with 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a recreation room
10 by 8 m… A private house made of timber, on the ground floor of which there is a living room, an office, a kitchen, a hall, a bathroom and a storage room. The attic plan includes 3 bedrooms, a hall and a balcony
7x9 m… The variant of the rational layout of the lower floor allows you to allocate space for a bathroom, a bedroom, a hallway, an entrance hall and a kitchen-living room
8x8 m… Concise and functional option. The first floor includes a spacious living room, wardrobe and sauna. The attic is reserved for the bedroom. The terrace is a bonus
8x6 m… Multifunctional use of space. The lower floor includes a spacious kitchen and a guest room, a bathroom, a sauna, a vestibule leading to the terrace. The attic is located above the room and kitchen and consists of two bedrooms
Often the parameters of the rooms do not exceed 9 - 12 sq. m. However, the larger the total area of the main building, the more spaciousness of rooms and design possibilities.
When building a residential country house or a summer house with an attic, different raw materials are used. Most often it is brick and wood. Brick is used for monumental construction. As a rule, these are large cottages. Brick buildings are heavy, which forces a solid foundation to be poured in accordance with all the rules of technology, but they are fire resistant and durable.
Often, decorative bricks are used for facades, which are lightweight and aesthetically pleasing.
Wooden private structures are a good alternative to brick counterparts. Wood is environmentally friendly and lighter than brick. However, it has to be processed with special compounds.to prolong its life and protect it from insects.
In general, a wooden house with an attic is a traditional design solution. Often, buildings are erected from a bar.
In addition to wood and brick, walls are built from foam blocks and aerated concrete. The foam block is a convenient and functional building material. It has a large size (larger than bricks), which speeds up construction.
Environmentally friendly, has a strict geometry, is not afraid of moisture and mold, fire resistant. Such material does not react to temperature changes and does not need to be repaired for a long time.
In order for the design to be successful, you can pay attention to several recommendations of specialists:
- There is no need for a massive staircase. Replace it with a narrow or screwed one. Spaces between marches should be small. This will save usable floor space.
- The approach to the stairs should be comfortable for an adult, a child and an elderly person.
- Use a stretch canvas or drywall for finishing the ceiling. It will not weigh down the structure. Eliminate rack, cassette and lattice systems. Paint is acceptable (it is cheaper than other analogues).
- An attic with a bay window is a winning option. The presence of windows will make up for the lack of light in the attic.
- Implement LED-based lighting. They are harmless to health, shine brightly at low power, do not dazzle in the eyes.Use primary and secondary lighting to illuminate every corner of the attic.
- Frame systems are acceptable in case of high roof heights. The facades of the attic and the first floor may differ due to the roof.
- Don't make a lot of cramped rooms if the space doesn't allow it. Better for perception one or two spacious rooms than 4 tiny ones.
- Pay attention to the size of the windows. If they are small, the attic and the first floor will be uncomfortable.
- Be sure to draw up a diagram. If it seems difficult on your own, use a special computer program or seek help from a specialist. He will help you choose the most rational and harmonious project.
Let's look at some nice examples of a photo gallery:
A house with decorative brick cladding looks stylish. The complex roof structure and the presence of a balcony make the attic cozy
The open plan of the attic allows you to arrange the interior space in an interesting and tasteful way
An unusual attic room can be decorated with unusual furniture. Such an interior is notable for its lightness despite the complex ceiling design
An economical solution for designing a staircase. The project provides for saving space on the ground floor, taking the corner under the stairs to the attic floor
One of the original solutions is the arrangement of the attic for a children's room. The pillars and beams are painted white and the use of warm colors makes the room feel cozy
An example demonstrating low wall heights and playing around with a narrow modular sofa with drawers
Internal division into functional areas for different purposes. Another example of assigning an attic for a children's room. Using an unusual baffle
An example of internal use of the attic for a tent bedroom. Reception of a successful outplay of the lack of usable area
A more monumental interior design with a staircase separated from the main space by a partition
For an overview of the project of a one-story house with an attic, see the next video.