With the advent of interior styles such as loft, hi-tech, minimalism and grunge, ceramic tiles and large-size porcelain stoneware are gaining popularity. Manufacturers of flooring products create entire collections dedicated to large-format products.
Working on the texture, color, features of the processing of joints, masterpieces are created that can decorate any interior.
Features of the
Some time ago, thick, large tiles could only be found in the decoration of industrial premises, less often in public places with high traffic. However, when decorating their apartments and country houses, people who are subject to fashion trends are increasingly choosing elite large-format ceramic products as floor coverings.
To understand why such a flooring is valued, it is worth imagining a monolithic shiny surface with an imitation of marble or matte slabs with the illusion of a woody texture, which seem to envelop the floor.
So, the advantages of the product:
- external attraction;
- simplified installation due to fewer parts;
- creation of fashionable design;
- wide range of applications: floor and walls in a house or apartment, facade cladding of buildings, paving of sidewalks;
- environmental friendliness of the material from which the product is made;
- has a long service life: over the years it does not lose its external and utilitarian properties;
- is a refractory material that prevents the spread of fire during ignition;
- not afraid of household chemicals and any cleaning agents, does not allow them to penetrate into the base;
- tiles are easy to use and clean;
- has antistatic properties: does not attract dust;
- due to its thickness, it has excellent sound insulation;
- the best material for finishing bathrooms and rooms with high humidity levels.
However, large tiles have a number of features that may seem negative:
- high price;
- often the laying of the product assumes the absence of seams - such filigree work can only be done by a real professional;
- the choice of large-format tiles is associated with the size of the room in which it is supposed to be laid.
Thus, the production of large models involves the use of only the highest quality and durable materials, as well as the organization of the process of their direct processing, which is high-tech. Such conditions directly affect the price of the finished product. It should be noted that large-format ceramic coatings are also a fashionable trend in the world of interior design.
The above factors automatically translate large tiles into the category of luxury products. The price of such products at points of sale is often indicated not for 1 running meter, but for 1 piece, which indicates a high cost.
You should not choose this method of finishing the floor or walls for those who plan to work in a small room.
In a cramped bathroom or restroom, you will have to cut and adjust the tiles a lot, which means spoiling its original idea. Unfortunately, the desired effect cannot be achieved, and such a repair will cost a pretty penny.
Tile parameters include such values as length, width and thickness. All three values in the product depend on each other, since their harmonious ratio allows us to make a high-quality and strong product that is not afraid of mechanical stress.
The floor covering is usually thicker. Thus, domestic ceramic tiles have a thickness of 8-11 mm, imported - 7-10 mm, domestic and imported porcelain stoneware - 7.5-12 mm. These parameters should be taken into account when installing combined coatings.
In order for the junction of the tile to the laminate or parquet to be beautiful and to be easily covered with a decorative sill, it is necessary to monitor the level of the base during the installation of two different coatings, and also take into account the thickness of the adhesive and the substrate.
Wall tiles are thinner. It does not lend itself to such a rough effect as the floor one, moreover, it is lighter, since it is located vertically. Usually, the thickness for domestic and foreign manufacturers ranges from 6 to 7 mm.
The width and length of large tiles are usually as follows: 60x120, 75x150, 25x150, 40x120, 30x120, 60x60 and 20x120 cm. These parameters are considered the most popularalthough some manufacturers may include unique, exclusive formats in their product line.
The subtleties of styling
There are certain requirements for the base on which the ceramic products are installed directly. These requirements are common to tiles of all sizes.
To satisfy them, it is necessary to perform a number of works:
- Remove existing old decorative coating.
- Assess how smooth the walls and floor are. They can be: rough, have slopes in different directions, be convex or concave. You can check deviations using a special building level, as well as beacons that are installed along the edges of the walls.
- The unevenness can be eliminated with plaster (if the level difference is less than 5 cm) or with drywall. A level difference of less than 1 cm should not be leveled - it will hide under a layer of tile glue and the tile itself.
- Apply a coat of primer.
- To prepare the floor, you should purchase a roll-up waterproofing, and for the walls - a liquid moisture insulating substance. Install and apply accordingly.
Before proceeding directly to laying the tiles, you should clearly determine how each element will be located.
Modern salons with ceramics offer to create a design project using a special computer program. According to the parameters of the room, the best variant of the laying pattern is selected, which minimizes the need for cutting the tiles., and most importantly - will allow you to create a harmonious interior. This program automatically generates a quote indicating how many packs of tiles are required and what the final cost will be.
Without such an opportunity, you can also try to find an appropriate styling option on your own. To do this, use a long building ruler and a pencil to outline the location of each product, taking into account also 2-3 mm per seam.
Do not use the old method: lay from the corner and cut the final elements. Especially in the case of large-format tiles, this method will simply ruin the entire appearance of the room.
But the laying method, in which the composition is built from the center, and the corner tiles are evenly cut off, is optimal. The consumption of finishing material will be higher, but within the framework of the entire repair, the amount of overpayment will not burden anyone.
When creating a design for a room in which tiles will be covered on the floor or on the walls, it is worth thinking about which visual technique should be chosen and how to arrange the elements:
- Rectangular wall tiles laid out vertically… This technique is not the most popular, however, vertical stripes can visually raise the architecture of a room - this is important in rooms with low ceilings.
- Rectangular wall tiles laid out horizontally… This method expands the room, makes it more spacious. This technique is very relevant in modern apartments.They are actively used when creating interiors in small bathrooms and toilets.
- Square floor or wall tiles laid out diagonally… When choosing this method, you should know that this is the most expensive type of laying, since you have to cut a lot, and the quality of the work depends on the professionalism of the master. It is not worth it on your own, without experience, to perform such a task.
- Tiles laid out like brickwork… Creates only a visual effect.
- Laying tiles with decorative elements - panels, borders, "pencils", "beads", "overlays". When using additional inserts, the complexity of the work performed increases. Better to trust a professional craftsman.
Large tiles need a good glue that can hold a lot of weight. This is especially true in relation to the installation of ceramic wall coverings. Selecting the required products, you should choose compositions with a high degree of adhesion (at least 1.5 MPa), fixing abilities, as well as, taking into account the specifics of the room, moisture resistant and independent of temperature differences.
The solution should be applied to the prepared base surface with a special notched trowel. Layer thickness should be 3-6 mm… Further, according to the figure, the tiles are laid out. To adjust the tile level, there is 20 minutes until the glue adheres.
The finished mixture is considered workable for no more than 2 hours.After that, it dries up, and, as a result, the loss of the necessary properties. Duration of complete drying of the glue is 5-6 days.
If the product assumes the presence of seams, then they must be decorated with a special grout. It is sold in different colors, which are selected either to match the base coat, or, conversely, in a contrasting color.
You will learn about the features of laying large tiles from the following video.
Beautiful ideas in the interior
Especially impressive tiles of large sizes look in the design, made with imitation marble. A seamless monolith of dark color, laid out using the same technology, should be selected in spacious rooms with a lot of light.
Light tiles look solemn and weightless. Glazed shiny smooth surface advantageously expands the space, reflects sunlight, refreshes the interior.
For classic designs, you can pick up large-format models with decorative panels in the form of a panel. The palace styles of baroque, rococo, empire, classicism are perfectly supported by such decisions.
Meanwhile, large ceramics are perfect for interiors in the minimalist style, which is so popular with the male half. Rough porcelain stoneware in steel shades blend harmoniously with furniture made from rough leather. However, the play on contrast is also very relevant, so a small but very soft white carpet can be included in such an interior.