Curtains can set the tone for the entire room, which is why it is so important to approach them responsibly. The choice of curtains for the bedroom requires a particularly careful approach.
Today it is difficult to imagine a house or apartment without curtains. This element of the interior has accompanied humanity for many millions of years and has become a part of everyday life. Cavemen also used curtains, during the day to protect their "homes" from the sun, and at night to hide fire, which could attract predatory animals.
It is important to note that curtains serve several functions:
- Firstly, they give the room a comfortable and cozy look, allowing you to improve the well-being of the person who is in the room. This technique is widely used not only in residential premises, but also in offices. For example, it is very common for receptionists to have real curtains rather than blinds to make clients feel more relaxed. What can we say about a house where a bedroom or living room must necessarily give a feeling of safety, security, comfort.
- Secondly, curtains are an important element of the decor, which often play the role of a bright accent. The window often acts as the semantic center of the entire space, so it is necessary to accentuate it correctly, without overloading the overall interior of the room. Curtains must certainly be harmoniously integrated into the overall design, while complementing and improving it.
But the most important function inherent in curtains is to protect the room from the sun or the light of electric lamps, as well as from prying eyes at night. No one likes to be spied on through the window by strangers.
Thick curtains can dramatically improve the quality of sleep. It is also very important that they please their owner, giving him the opportunity to wake up in a good mood and fully rested, therefore, curtains should be selected, focusing not only on the general interior, but also on their own taste preferences.
Curtains play a huge role in modern interior design. It often happens that the right curtains completely transform the bedroom, making such a room the embodiment of tranquility and comfort. However, it is important to remember that the wrong curtains for the bedroom can ruin the quality of sleep.
For example, if the material from which the curtains are made is not thick enough and allows a lot of light to pass through, the sleep is unlikely to be good. At the same time, many people avoid buying curtains that are too thick, as they like to wake up with the morning sun falling on their eyes.
Modern design uses many different options for decorating windows, depending on their location. So, for framing windows in the bedroom, curtains and curtains are most often used.
The difference between curtains and curtains (curtains) is small, but still significant. It is worth noting that curtains are often made of denser materials and perform the function of protection from sunlight, while curtains are made of light translucent fabrics or lace and have a decorative function.… They also help to "hide" the room from the looks of curious passers-by, but the curtains are not able to darken the room.
Curtains are often made pleated, and they are also laid in beautiful deep folds, adding additional decor. With curtains, it is often impossible to do such a trick, they are made even along the entire length, have the simplest design possible, since they are decoration in themselves.
Blackout curtains can also partially absorb the sounds of the street, creating an atmosphere of intimacy and peace in the room.
There are many options to help decorate your bedroom window. But first you should turn to the classification of curtains.
By and large, all curtains are divided into sliding and lifting. Sliding are used more often and are the traditional option for the bedroom., in the same time lifting curtains are very functional and comfortable, and for some interiors, this type of curtain is best suited.
The curtains for the bedroom, equipped with a lifting mechanism, are divided into French, Roman, Austrian and London. Roman blinds are collected in horizontal folds from the bottom up, while French ones - in soft semicircular ones. Australian curtains are a "hybrid" of Roman and French curtains, gathering in semicircular folds at the same time along the entire length. London curtains, as a rule, have only one fold-arch; they are mostly used only in classic artsy interiors.
Sliding curtains are divided into classic and Japanese:
Classic curtains can be matched to almost any interior. As a rule, they are made of light translucent fabric in the center and heavy fabric on the sides. Classic curtains are usually complemented by many decorative elements: lambrequins, grabs, frills, and so on. Almost any fabric can be used for sewing; this variety is one of the reasons for the popularity of this option
Japanese curtains can be called sliding curtains. They are not collected by soft folds on the sides of the window, but move around the window like a panel or screen. Such a solution will help to focus on the drawing of the fabric for curtains, while you do not need to use additional decorative elements
Tips for choosing: what to look for?
Choosing curtains is not an easy task. In all the diversity offered to us in modern life, it is not difficult to get lost. Approaching the choice with methodical thoroughness, you will get the opportunity to do everything right and not regret your decision:
First, pay attention to the shape and size of the window. Often in houses there are non-standard windows that require special design. For example, recently, panoramic windows installed in the bedroom have gained particular popularity. It is very difficult to find a decent design in this case, but the choice of classic straight curtains without lambrequins is an excellent option
Also, a window in an ordinary multi-storey building deserves special attention.complex not so much in its form as in its environment. The battery, the pipes on the sides of the window, and the often far from picturesque view from the outside are what make such a window a puzzle for the decorator
The use of heavy curtains in this case is not the best solution. It would be much more practical to use the option with interesting Japanese panel curtains.
Next, you need to set the purpose of the curtains. Do you need curtains for a purely decorative purpose, or is it still for the effect of sound absorption, as well as protection from drafts, how attractive the view outside the window is, whether you need to hide it or, on the contrary, emphasize - these are the questions that every person who chooses curtains for bedrooms
It is also important to take into account the proportions of the bedroom and the style unity of the interior.… Decide whether the curtains should be a bright semantic accent or they are intended only to emphasize the already existing interior. Bedroom curtains can serve as a contrasting detail not only due to the acid color. You can use an interesting pattern that grabs attention without annoying you
After you answer all these questions, it’s time to think about the details, such as the length of the curtains, the type of cornice, the design of the upper edge of the curtains, the presence of decorative elements (lambrequins, trains, hooks, etc.), the type of curtain fastening (on the tape or on hooks), the presence of lining, as well as the density of the curtains and the presence of curtains or curtains in the vicinity of the curtains.
Do not forget that different curtains are selected for the summer and winter periods. When calculating your budget, be sure to take this factor into account.
What material do you prefer?
Material is a fundamental component when choosing curtains for the bedroom.When choosing a fabric, it is necessary to take into account not only the style of the interior and your own preferences, but also the properties of the materials, its pros and cons.
The fabric for curtains must be durable, since constant exposure to sunlight, heat, dust, as well as mechanical stress can quickly spoil the appearance of the material
You also need to think about practicality, texture and weight: for example, light curtains made of a material that easily absorbs dust will require frequent cleaning, so the bedroom windows will have to be left “naked” for a while.
The flexibility of the material is another important aspect. If you are planning to create curtains with pleats, be sure to pay attention to the density of the fabric.
Consider the features of some of the popular materials for creating curtains and curtains in the bedroom. which lend themselves well to draping:
- Brocade. Heavy fabric that helps protect the room from light, drafts, and unnecessary sounds.
- Broderier. Very lightweight fabric suitable for creating curtains. Easy to clean and transmits light well.
- Calico. The density of the fabric varies, so you can pick whatever you like. Calico is easy to clean and drapes well.
- Chintz. For curtains, calico fabrics of medium density are made, which are very elastic: it is easy to create gathers and folds.
- Velveteen. A very dense fabric with excellent protective properties.
- Cotton. Light cotton is easy to care for and is suitable for creating folds and draperies, but the fabric is not dense, due to which it easily allows light to pass through.
- Cretonne. One of the few fabrics of medium density that are easy to care for. It has excellent light-blocking properties and is elastic.
- Fine wool. Despite the fact that thin wool gives coziness to the interior, it has one significant drawback: even heavy and dense matter allows light to pass through. However, it copes well with drafts.
- Damask. This medium weight fabric is great for drapery.
- Dupont. Refers to fabrics of medium density and retains light.
- Linen fabric from dyed yarn… Thin fabric, easy to clean, great for creating curtains, as it transmits light well.
- Sackcloth. A fairly dense material that allows light to pass through, however, it is quite easy to care for this material.
- Canvas. Medium density fabric.
- Lace. Very lightweight fabric, good light transmission. Lace maintenance is easy.
- Batiste. The characteristics are similar to lace.
- Linen. A fairly heavy fabric that drapes perfectly and is very easy to clean.
- Moire. There are moirés of different densities. Nevertheless, this fabric perfectly retains light and lends itself well to draping.
- Muslin. Lightweight stretch fabric, good light transmission.
- Tulle. The density of the tulle varies, it retains light well and belongs to fabrics of high elasticity.
- Satin. There are fabrics of different densities. Satin protects the room from extraneous sounds and light.
- Atlas. Dense satin drapes perfectly, protects the room from sounds and light.
- Indian flax. The density of the fabric varies. It is great for decorating windows, but it is important to remember that Indian linen has a high light transmission.
- Chesucha. Lightweight fabric that allows light to pass through and drapes well.
- Tapestry, like velvet, refers to heavy tissues. They perfectly trap light, absorb extraneous noise and protect against drafts.
- Tweed. Tweed also belongs to dense fabrics. It protects against light and drafts.
- Veil. Lightweight fabric with excellent light transmission.
Designers advise to choose a color for curtains, relying on the general color scheme of your interior. The most fashionable bedroom curtain colors include the following:
- The black;
As you can see, the range of shades is very wide and opens up a huge scope for imagination. It is imperative to remember that the curtains must fit well into the overall interior.
Solid curtains are timeless classics, but now designers suggest using two colors when decorating a window. Two-tone curtains allow you to visually expand the space and visually make the room look larger. In the bedroom, curtains of two harmoniously selected shades, close to each other, look great. Contrasting combinations will irritate the eye and are unlikely to promote sound sleep.
Color combinations are largely determined by the style and design of the room, but the following duets should be noted:
- Beige and dark brown;
- Beige and olive;
- White and light lilac;
- Beige and blue-green;
- Light yellow and dark blue;
- White and blue-gray;
- Orange and dark brown;
- White and ash pink;
- Light blue and aqua;
- Canary yellow and purple.
When working with rich dark colors, it is better to avoid using two colors when decorating curtains. It is much more correct to choose light light curtains for the bedroom, which will serve as a fresh touch against the background of dark curtains and attract attention, while adding harmony to the room.
The choice of color is largely due to the style of the bedroom. So, if the bedroom is designed in a restrained color scheme, the use of flashy colors is not allowed. However, if you want to add color, it is recommended to choose bright curtains, but additionally buy textile decor in a similar color (for example, decorative pillows or bedspread).
When arranging a bedroom, it is important to focus not so much on fashion as on your own feelings. If the current purple color makes you feel depressed, you should not decorate the window in a similar color scheme. Color is what creates the mood, especially for curtains and curtains.
When arranging a bedroom window, focus primarily on inner feelings, and only then on fashion trends.
Popular styles in design
Currently, the most popular are minimalist modern styles, but you should not discount the classic ones:
- For Hi-tech style the use of blinds on the windows is typical, however, people often add straight curtains to the floor without any decorative elements. In this case, a very restrained color scheme is preferable: gray, white or brown are the main colors.
- In minimalistic interiors preference is given to light curtains of neutral colors, as functional and restrained as possible. The use of decorative elements and flashy shades is unacceptable here; every detail should have a meaning and a functional purpose.
- For window decoration in Provence style it is best to choose natural flying fabric in pastel shade. The presence of a curtain is encouraged, as this will add romance to the interior. Curtains should drape well and look very light and casual.
- Art Deco is a flashy luxury style that's quite popular these days. To decorate a window in this style, purchase curtains made of heavy, expensive fabric in a light shade with multiple gilded trim. Satin, brocade, velvet are often used for sewing curtains. It is imperative to use curtains.
- Beige, cream or brown plain curtains, selected in strict accordance with the surrounding furnishings, fit perfectly into a classic bedroom. Curtains should be luxurious but austere; the use of decorative elements is minimal.
- Country style implies the use of natural fabrics of natural shades (green, beige, sand). The use of various means of decoration is characteristic: ruffles, frills, ribbons and even buttons.
When decorating window space in ethnic bedroom it is important to rely on knowledge about the nationality in the style of which the bedroom is decorated. For example, when choosing curtains for african bedroom opt for straight floor-length curtains in sand or beige with ethnic patterns. Bedroom, made in Indian style, requires the use of chic heavy curtains or Japanese panels in rich colors, complemented by a beautiful artsy pattern. Scandinavian style more like a minimalist style and does not accept pretentiousness; here, discreet white or light gray straight curtains made of natural heavy materials are the ideal choice.
It is important that curtains are often not used when decorating a bedroom window in ethnic style.
Modern ideas and novelties
The curtain design industry does not stand still and offers more and more new design solutions:
In particular, one of the most popular new products is wallpaper with photo printing. It looks best on Japanese panels, but it can also be applied to regular heavy curtains. Photo printing opens up a huge scope for experimenting with the interior, allowing you to choose curtains for any furniture and style. For example, when choosing a solution for wenge furniture, you can add several blotches of the same color to the curtains, thereby not overloading the interior with a dark color, and making it more harmonious
Blackout is a relatively new technical solution. It is a flat screen curtain that completely covers the window. Blackout absorbs 80-90% of light, creating a favorable environment for restful sleep
Find out more about modern bedroom curtains and their variations in our next video.