Blinds from wallpaper - an economical alternative to finished aluminum or plastic products. At the same time, they perform not only decorative and sun-protection functions, but also block you from prying eyes. This is a life hack that will effectively replace expensive purchased counterparts. One has only to spend a little time making them, and a homemade version will turn out no worse than those sold in the store. And the interior of the room will only benefit from this.
In addition to the main functions, paper blinds will also give the room a special style and comfort. With them, housing will acquire individuality. And the hosts will hear compliments from guests every now and then.
Features of the
Everyone can create such curtains with their own hands. So if you have a couple of rolls of wallpaper left, you can use them. Beautiful and useful decor can be hung on a window, balcony or all existing glazed frames can be decorated in this way. What will be your products - it's up to you. If you take the remnants of the wallpaper with which the walls in the room are pasted over, you get a very interesting design solution, as if you deliberately decided to combine the space by decorating the windows in the same way as the walls. But you can do otherwise and curtain the glass with canvases in contrasting colors. It is not necessary to purchase expensive materials for this. Sellers will happily sell you some of the leftovers.
This will save you money and transform the room in the future as if you made a lot of investments in its design. To make them yourself, you need a minimum of costs and skills. Bright and unusual blinds will look equally well assembled and spread. True, homemade options also have some drawbacks. They are easy to wrinkle and have a rather weak mechanism. In the process, pay due attention to this point. And the undoubted advantage is that when making them, you can get by with improvised materials.
Keeping fantasy within the framework in this case will only harm the process. So let your imagination run wild. Then an exclusive item will be guaranteed.
Another obvious plus of do-it-yourself blinds is that they are individually created to fit the window. This applies to the length and width of the product to be cut. If you repeat everything step by step, you will end up with an original addition to the overall style of your home interior. But the office can also be designed in this way.
Air paper curtains are also useful as a temporary replacement for window textiles. For example, during repairs, when the sun interferes with the work in the room, and you need to shield yourself from it with something. Any builder can handle such dampers from ultraviolet radiation and dust. Moreover, any remnants of the cheapest wallpaper, at least those that have already been used in the finishing process, are suitable for this.
The main advantages of wallpaper blinds:
- Cheapness of materials.
- Ease of manufacture.
- Minimum time to work.
- Reliable sun protection.
- Suitable for any window.
- Original look.
- Step-by-step instruction
If you decide to create something similar in your home, it is important to figure out how to do it right. So that the material is not spoiled, and the effort is wasted, read the step-by-step manufacturing instructions.
To create paper blinds you will need:
- roll of wallpaper;
- a skein of rope or cord;
- awl, retainer;
- stationery knife;
- a roll of double-sided and single-sided tape;
So, having prepared all the necessary items, you can proceed to the direct manufacture:
- Take measurements from the window before proceeding with cutting.… Using a centimeter, measure the window opening. Try to take the most accurate measurements possible. In the process of measuring, it will be found out how long your workpiece will be. Divide the available window height by 4 and add this figure to the window height. If this is not done, then after you fold the canvas with an accordion, it will become exactly a quarter less than necessary.
- Prepare the rope. This is the main element of the mechanism. It should be exactly the same length as the canvas itself.
- Next, you need to give the workpiece a pleated look.… All parts must match in size. This is a very important point! At the slightest doubt in your eye, it is better to use a long ruler and a simple pencil when cutting. By arranging the paper into equal segments, you will greatly facilitate your task. Better to mark stripes 3 to 5 centimeters wide. At this size, the paper product will look neat and elegant.
- Then you need to find the middle and make a series of holes vertically along the canvas, at an equal step from each other. It is more convenient to do this with an awl. If planning long-term operation, reinforce the puncture sites with transparent tape. Pass the prepared cord through the reinforced holes and tie it to a knot from the wrong side.
An important point: straighten the cut to determine exactly if the cord is the right size. If you miss and the length is not enough, you will have to redo this step. And a lace that is too long must be cut off by putting a special lock on the tip. This part can be purchased at any sewing or handicraft shop. Remember to secure the top end of the cord as well. The easiest way would be to tie it in a knot or glue it from the inside out with a small piece of single-sided tape
When working with heavy wallpaper, it is best to run the cord along the sides, keeping the symmetry in the gaps from the edge. Enough 10 - 15 cm. Optionally, to avoid sagging, another cord can be pulled through the center. You will have several reliable mounts.
For information on how to make blinds from the wallpaper with your own hands, see the next video.
How are they attached?
After making sure everything turns out as you intended, take the last step of the work. Fix the resulting handmade decor at the top of the frame. It is most convenient to attach light paper curtains to double-sided tape:
- Measure out the desired length of adhesive tape and apply the strip to the frame.
- Carefully peel off the outer layer and press the top edge of the garment against it.
- If you want to wash the glass, you will have to remove the curtains for a while. And paper, as you know, sticks to the sticky surface tightly. Therefore, we recommend making reusable wallpaper blinds.
- From the inside out along the top edge of the paper blank, glue a strip of tape along the entire length. One-sided, of course, smooth side up.
- Now you can use the blinds as intended.
There are a couple of secrets on how to make them even more interesting and unusual. Bend the outer edges inward at the bottom so that they touch each other. Connect them with tape or an ordinary paper clip. This design will give the interior a mysterious oriental flavor. By supplementing such a design work with weights, you will get a thing that is in no way inferior to a similar factory product. At least in functionality and appearance.
Any wallpaper is suitable for such blinds. Of course, non-woven fabrics keep their shape better and do not fade, but the price for them is not too democratic. And the washable ones are easy to clean from dirt and will not cost much. But at the same time, they are thin and therefore easily wrinkle, moreover, they are unpretentious in texture. However, now the selection of wallpapers is so extensive that you can easily find what you need.
If you find it difficult to create accordion curtains, try a different design. The list of required materials is somewhat different here. Take the following:
- a roll of any wallpaper;
- any decorative tape in a skein;
- thin cornice;
- metal tube.
- Install the cornice over the window opening. Calculate the distance from the eaves to the windowsill.
- Now you need to unfold the roll of wallpaper and measure the resulting distance, adding 10 cm (for the fasteners).
- Then you can confidently cut off the measured piece.
- To make your blinds comfortable to use, we recommend using a metal tube in the construction. It needs to be coated with glue and gently press the workpiece with the bottom edge. That is, in the same way that will be at the bottom of your blinds.
- The glue should dry, but while there is time, attach the tape to the center of the eaves.
- Then unwind to the windowsill and cut off. Do this again to make two identical ribbons in the middle.
- When the glue is dry, glue the opposite end of the wallpaper to the cornice. It's not that easy to pull off, but there is one life hack. This will help the tapes that you previously attached to the cornice (they will be needed to adjust the height of the structure).
- Tie the lower edges of the tapes (near the windowsill) with a knot. In the resulting loop, place a tube with wallpaper rolled into a roll so that the fixed tape lies in the center of the tube.
- Now the roll must be turned up to the very eaves and glued to it.
Once the glue is completely dry, you can start using your new roller blinds.! Adjust the height by tying the knot. By the way, you don't have to take a satin ribbon. Any decorative braid of the texture that suits your interior and the selected wallpaper will do. For the bedroom, a roller blind with a satin garter would be more appropriate, and in the kitchen, a linen or cotton texture looks better.
But the choice of material is purely individual for everyone. Make blinds to your taste so that later they will delight you from morning to evening.
In the first and second options, your homemade blinds will serve as a unique addition to the interior. Plastic counterparts cannot boast of a variety of colors, and drawings are applied to them only to order, and this service is not cheap. Therefore, it will definitely not be possible to save money here. You can handle the installation of light curtains without assistance. And our recommendations will help you get them right the first time.