Blinds are a functional, beautiful and practical way to decorate windows. In this article, we will consider all types of blinds that exist on the market today and help you decide on their choice.
Features of the
Blinds have appeared a long time ago. Once upon a time, oriental men closed the windows of their houses with wooden stripes. They allowed sunlight to enter the room, while hiding what was happening inside from prying eyes. So husbands protected the dignity of their wives, who do not wear a veil at home. This is why the word jalousie means jealousy.
Modern blinds are a set of plates set in motion by mechanical or electronic control. In the first case, laces or chains are used. In the second, there is an electric drive. This option is especially convenient for high windows.
The design fully or partially protects the room from the penetration of light from the outside. Compared to conventional curtains, blinds have a number of valuable advantages:
Practicality. Blinds are unpretentious in care, unlike fabric curtains that need regular washing. That is why such structures are used in almost all office premises. In addition, ordinary curtains cannot completely isolate the room from the penetration of sunlight. But certain types of blinds are quite capable of this
This advantage is especially important when watching movies, presentations and other events that require absolute darkness. It will also come in handy during daytime sleep.
- Convenience. Electronically controlled designs allow daylight intensity to be adjusted at the touch of a button.
- Style. The variety of blinds options allows them to harmoniously fit into the interior, without getting out of the general environment. This type of window decoration is appropriate not only in the office. Today, blinds are increasingly used in modern home interiors as well. You can choose any color scheme that can highlight the ambiance of the room. And the option with photo printing can add a special zest to the interior.
There are several types of blinds, differing in the location of the plates, the method of fastening and functional features.
This type is considered the classic and the most popular. The design is based on horizontal strips. The elements are united with each other by a part suspended from the cornice. They are set in motion by laces stretched through the holes located along the edge of the plates.
Such systems are installed on the inner sash of the window. It is also possible to mount the structure to a wall or ceiling. Installation without drilling is possible on a plastic window. For this, special brackets are used.
The interframe placement option is very popular. It involves installation on the cornice between the window sashes.
Horizontal blinds can be made of various materials. The range of colors is also extensive. A feature of horizontal structures is the effect of visual expansion of space.
This type is distinguished by the vertical arrangement of the lamellas. The lower part is connected by a chain. These blinds look especially elegant. Also they visually increase the height of the room.
The structure is fixed above the window opening. It is also possible to mount the system on an upper slope or ceiling.
For plastic windows, this type of design is rarely used. This is due to the fact that the elements of the system are located too close to the glass. This makes it difficult for them to move.
By changing the angle of the vertical plates, you can smoothly adjust the light intensity. Also, vertical systems are more resistant to dust formation.
Fabric vertical structures are usually weighted with a weight for greater stability. Structures made of plastic, wood or aluminum do not need this.
This type of blinds is often called roller blinds. They are made exclusively from fabrics. The material can have different density and texture. Strength, light transmission and durability of curtains depend on this. Also, all types of fabrics during the production process undergo a special treatment with an antistatic, dust-repellent and antibacterial effect.
The mechanism of operation of such blinds is very simple. Rising up, the web moves along the guides, twisting onto the roller. You can fix the curtains at any level.
For plastic windows, there are 2 separate types of similar structures:
- Mini blinds involves installing the system on the window sash itself using fasteners.
- Cassette blinds can be made of any materials. This type of curtain is a special cassette attached to the sash into which the canvas is folded.
Both varieties are suitable for both straight and sloped windows. They also allow you to open the sash along with the structure.
This original version is fabric cloth, collected in an "accordion". The blinds are attached to the cornice, they are controlled manually or remotely.
Pleated curtains are elegant, compact, unpretentious in care, fit perfectly into any interior. This type of blind is suitable for the decoration of any windows (standard rectangular, round, triangular, arched).
Plisse-type constructions are installed on the frame or on the glass itself. Fastening is carried out using 2-sided tape or brackets. Installation in a pier is also allowed. Curtains designed for sloped windows have special differences. Along the edges of the "accordion" there are cables that exclude sagging of the canvas.
A fresh approach to daylight control is already gaining popularity. The idea is to alternate between transparent and opaque stripes.
The system can be controlled either automatically or manually. Changing the position of the elements changes the level of lighting in the room. When two opaque stripes coincide in the room, it becomes darker, and the coincidence of transparent parts becomes lighter.
Zebra blinds, as they are also called, can be open type and closed (cassette). Installation is possible without drilling. In this case, the structure is attached to a clip-grip or using foamed tape.
Arched or arched
For windows in the form of arches, a special type of blinds has been developed. Such structures are attached to a wall or ceiling. The variety can be any (horizontal, vertical or roll). The materials are also varied.
This type of curtain is similar to pleated blinds. Instead of plates, a solid web is also used here. The only difference is that when it rises, it forms beautiful folds, and when unfolded it can be absolutely smooth. Usually these are fabric curtains. Sometimes bamboo or straws are also used.
This type of blinds is the most effective. Vertical fabric or plastic slats, layering on top of each other, form original multi-colored patterns.
There are many options for execution. These are bright colors, and delicate shades, and matte and pearlescent surfaces. You can choose either one canvas with a pattern or a multi-layer version that imitates lambrequins. The boundless imagination of designers allows you to choose the right blinds for any interior.
These blinds are designed for outdoor installation. They protect garages, windows and doors of offices and cottages. To create such structures, durable metal is used.
Every day there are new types of window decoration that combine practicality and beauty.
For example, blinds "Debut" and "Suare" are trims decorated with tulle fabric. Japanese curtains are no less popular. These are flat fabric panels 40-80 cm wide, fixed to the cornice.
To create such curtains, translucent fabrics are often used, which gently scatter light throughout the room.
Louver plates are of various types. Depending on the material, each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.
This material is used for the manufacture of blinds quite often, and this is no coincidence.
- Aluminum plates can be of any shade. The surface can be mirror-smooth or velvety, matte or sparkling. The special type of perforated blinds creates an interesting play of light and shadow.
- Aluminum curtains are easy to maintain. It is enough to wipe them with a dry cloth only once every 2-3 months. A damp sponge is recommended once a year.
- Such curtains are resistant to temperature extremes. In addition, due to its excellent ability to reflect sunlight, the indoor temperature will always be a couple of degrees lower on a hot summer day.
- Due to their small thickness, aluminum plates are unstable to mechanical damage, they easily bend and deform.
- When the windows are opened and the planks touch each other, a characteristic “rumbling” sound is heard.
This equally popular material is notable for its low price, strength and versatility.
- A variety of textures, shapes and colors allows you to easily select the appropriate option for any interior.
- Plastic is resistant to high temperatures, withstands any solar activity.
- The material is unpretentious in care, allows wet cleaning.
- Plastic is more durable and resistant to mechanical stress than aluminum.
Cheap, poor quality plastic can quickly lose color and integrity due to constant heating (heat from the sun, the presence of a battery near the window)
This type of blinds is intended for decorating residential premises. They create a more comfortable atmosphere, they can look like separate stripes and a solid canvas. The options for textures, colors and patterns are varied. The service life of the product and the ability of the curtains to transmit daylight depend on the density of the fabric.
- Wide range of interior solutions.
- The fabrics undergo a special treatment with water and dirt repellent effect, protection against fading and increasing wear resistance.
- Such blinds require more careful maintenance.
- Cheap and low-quality fabrics quickly fade and deform.
Wooden blinds are a rare and expensive type of curtain. Usually it is Canadian linden, pine, cork, bamboo.
- The material is environmentally friendly and durable.
- It is highly durable and can withstand temperature extremes.
- The tree looks great in any interior.
- Usually, wood is not painted, so the color range of blinds is limited to beige and brown.
- The material does not withstand high humidity, only dry cleaning is allowed.
- Wooden products are much more expensive than aluminum, fabric and plastic counterparts.
For photo printing
Blinds with photo printing are a great way to give your interior a bright personality. Such window decoration not only protects the room from sunlight and allows you to regulate its intensity, but also becomes a stylish accent.
Modern technologies allow you to apply a photo or drawing to any surface. At the same time, the image does not lose saturation and clarity, does not fade, and is not afraid of wet cleaning.
Usually the image is applied to vertical and roller blinds. However, today it is possible to decorate horizontal strips from any material with photo printing. The curtains, which are a single piece, only lose part of the pattern hidden in the roll when folded.
On blinds, consisting of many strips, the image looks whole only in a completely closed state. When the lamellas begin to change position, the pattern becomes blurred. But even in this form, the curtains look original and attractive.
The saturation of colors depends on the density of the material. On translucent curtains, the pattern seems slightly blurred, but it is beautifully highlighted by the rays of the sun and the light of night lamps. This gives the image a special charm and fills it with a magical glow. On dense blinds, the print is brighter and clearer.
Patterned blinds are used to decorate apartments, offices, salons, cafes and other premises. The main thing is to choose the right image that will harmoniously fit into the interior. and will fully match his style.
In the nursery, curtains with cartoon characters, fabulous and space landscapes will be appropriate. Photos of flowers, vegetables and fruits look great in the kitchen. In the bedroom or living room, blinds with beautiful landscapes, the image of the night city, the starry sky will look spectacular. For the office, you can choose a panorama of the city, nature, or even a company logo that emphasizes the status of the company.
How to choose?
When choosing blinds, it is important to familiarize yourself with the description of all varieties and decide on a few key points.
Window type and mounting method. It is better to install cassette blinds or roller blinds with guides on plastic windows. Installation is carried out on the sash of the window. Fastening of such systems is possible without drilling. Brackets or double-sided tape are the best solution. Any blinds are suitable for wooden windows. The choice is limited only by your taste and interior features. Curtains made of natural materials look especially organic on wooden frames. You can install blinds, cassette or ordinary horizontal blinds on a balcony or loggia. They will save space and ensure ease of use
It is also important to choose a blind control method. For manual control, easy access to the window is required. In the case of a high arrangement of windows, it is better to opt for electronic control.
- Appearance. Based on the situation in the room, it is important to choose the color of the blinds, the need for photo printing. It is worth remembering the difference in window decoration for a room, kitchen, office space.
- Cost. Decide in advance on the budget allocated for the purchase. It is important to understand that wooden blinds, as well as curtains with electric control and photo printing, are significantly higher than standard options.
For information on how you can attach blinds without drilling, see the next video.