Wooden cornices have not lost their popularity over the years. They are beautiful, functional, comfortable and serve as a wonderful interior decoration.
Features and Benefits
Wood products have a whole a number of indisputable advantages:
- aesthetics… The cornices look very elegant thanks to the perfect lines of the wood structure, which is harmonious like everything created by nature;
- strength and durability… Wood products are very durable and can withstand loads of up to 100 kg. This quality allows the use of complex ensembles for window decoration, consisting of several types of material. Subject to the humidity regime and the use of additional brackets with a large rod length, such cornices will last a long time, will not lose their shape and retain their original appearance;
- ease of care. Products do not need special care: it is enough to wipe the parts with a damp cloth soaked in soapy water, and then wipe dry;
- versatility cornices is the ability to choose a model for almost any interior and type of room;
- environmental safety and hypoallergenicity… Wood products are absolutely harmless and hygienic;
- multifunctionality. Wooden cornices, in addition to their practical function, also have a decorative one, being an independent element of room decoration;
- ease of installation achieved due to the simplicity of the design and convenient configuration of the mounts;
- popularity natural materials.
Modern manufacturers produce a huge number of different models: from very simple to exquisite massive products, therefore it is worth noting the following design options for such curtain rods:
- round bar… The most common version of the cornice. The rounded shape brings warmth and harmony into the interior, ensures easy sliding of the rings on which the curtains are attached;
- rectangular in the form of a plank. The design of such curtain rods allows the use of lighting, which creates a cozy and romantic atmosphere in the room;
- baguette. This is a decorative strip that hides the curtain fastening mechanism and the eaves structure, which is installed to increase the decorative appeal of the product and to diversify the design. Baguettes of various sizes and shapes can be inlaid with metal, glass and plastic inserts, which makes the model the most attractive, and massive and carved mahogany strips will become a symbol of luxury and prosperity. Oak baguettes look very solid and solemn;
finials - these are decorative tips for rods or baguettes, which can be round, square, rectangular and pointed in shape, as well as carved, forged, decorated with different materials. The tips can be either invisible or serve as a separate element of the room decor. For children's rooms, they are produced with the image of fairy-tale characters. The finials must be selected in strict accordance with the style of the room. They focus on themselves. and therefore must look impeccable and in harmony with the surroundings
Wooden curtain rods are classics of window decoration, they do not lose their attractiveness and do not go out of fashion, and a wide range of manufactured models will satisfy the needs of even the most demanding customers.The models differ from each other in technical characteristics and design options.
By the number of rows:
- Single row cornices - these are products consisting of a single rod, designed to fasten one set of curtains, are used mainly in kitchens, but can also be found in other rooms, for example, decorated in a minimalist style. They can also be used if the owners do not like excessive darkening or diffusion of light.
- Double row - the most widespread eaves design. It can consist of two wooden rods of equal size, installed in one holder. But more often it is constructed from a main wooden guide and an additional metal part, smaller in size and different in shape. Such models are intended for the joint use of tulle and curtains.
- Three-row - this type of construction has three rods, which allows the use of complex ensembles with the presence of lambrequins;
For the manufacture of cornices, wood of various types of trees is used:
- Conifers include pine, juniper, larch and yew.
- Deciduous trees are represented by birch, oak, walnut, cherry, maple and beech.
- Exotic - red, black or ebony, pink, wenge and zebrano.
- Soft rocks are ideal materials for making carvings.
- Hardwoods are distinguished by their increased durability, unusual rich colors and beautiful wood structure.
Products are impregnated with a special solution, which gives them a water-repellent property and covered with a special varnish, due to which the risk of abrasion from rings and the formation of cracks is reduced;
By the type of fastening, cornices are wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted and versatile, capable of being attached both to the wall and to the ceiling. The ceiling mount design is used in low and small rooms. Such models are decorated with a beautiful baguette, which hides the mechanism for attaching the curtains and serves as an independent detail for decorating the room. Not suitable for rooms with stretch ceilings, and when using suspended ceilings, lightweight options should be chosen.
The wall cornice is suitable for high rooms, if there is some distance between the window opening and the ceiling. Products with this type of fastening have a much wider range of models, and specimens are more beautiful and more interesting. The ability to mount with stretch ceilings and the availability of models that can be attached to side walls make this type of cornices the most common and in demand.
By the method of fixing the curtains:
- On the rods, the curtains are fixed with rings, loops and eyelets.
- In products covered with baguettes, fishing line with hooks can be pulled or special clamps can be used.
- Some models have curved grooves that give the curtains a wave-like shape.
The method of fixing is selected taking into account the density and weight of the canvas, the purpose of the room and the style in which it is decorated.
Thanks to the latest woodworking technologies, wood cornices are given various colors and shades. It can be both natural wood colors - beige and brown, and contrasting white and black.
When choosing the color of the cornices, you can focus both on the shades in which the room is decorated, and on the color scheme of the furniture elements present in the room:
- light wood suitable for ecological and minimalist interiors, as well as rooms with low ceilings;
- dark chic models with carvings - for Empire, Baroque and Classics;
- at registration ethnic style the color will depend on the chosen direction: black cornices will be appropriate for the African style, massive red for the Italian style, and white for the cold Scandinavian style.Curtains should not contrast with the room, but they may well do it with curtains: white fabric on a black cornice looks very impressive.
The length of the curtain rods is selected individually, focusing on the type of room, its size, style and structure of the curtain fabric. For small rooms, light wood curtain rods that are not wide without thread are suitable. For the classic style - wide and massive, decorated with carvings. It should be borne in mind that the cornice should be wider than the window sill, therefore, to determine its length, you need to add 30-40 cm to the width of the opening. Wall options attached 10-15 cm above the opening will visually increase the height of the window. To eliminate the sagging of the cornice during operation, specimens longer than 260 cm should be equipped with an additional intermediate holder.
Cornices are attached to the bearing surfaces using brackets, mounting anchors and dowels. Supplied with accessories in the form of holders for guide rods, rings or hooks for fixing the blade.
The following companies are deservedly the leaders in the cornice market:
Casa Valentina was founded in 1983 and began its work with the production of wooden curtain rods, being a private workshop. Over time, thanks to the use of various materials, such as natural wood, nickel-plated brass, metal forging, as well as the painstaking work of designers, the company from Italy gained worldwide fame. To date, the factory produces 120 collections of curtain rods for absolutely all styles and trends, and combining manual work with high-tech production has developed its own unique style, easily recognizable in the world of interior fashion
- company Interstil from Germany specializes in the production of stylish and reliable ceiling systems and suspended cornices. A wide variety of materials used allows you to create products of different styles and be one of the leaders in the production of curtains;
- Russian company "Trees" has been producing wooden curtain rods for 17 years. Produces popular models for all interiors at a low price. The products of this company are always in demand.
Wooden cornices have a lot of positive reviews. Consumers note such quality:
- relevance of models. They don't go out of style and are always popular;
- natural materials. People are tired of plastic and synthetics, so this moment is most often noted;
- variety of models. Thanks to numerous design solutions, it is possible to choose a product for any interior;
- simplicity of design and ease of installation;
- wide price range with the possibility of purchasing budget options.
Beautiful examples in the interior
A huge range of models allows using wooden curtain rods in almost any room of a house or apartment. The combination of carving and forging patterns has a luxurious look and will fit into an antique design of a study or living room.
For the kitchen, you can use a single-row model with laconic tips. In the bedroom, the option with rods rounded at the ends will be convenient. This allows the curtains to keep cool air out of the window and contributes to better darkening, which is convenient during morning or afternoon naps. Also, when decorating the interior, it is necessary to take into account the compatibility of fabrics and cornices. For light, airy materials, thin elegant models are suitable, and for heavy curtains - massive products.
For information on how to properly install a round wooden cornice, see the next video.