Installing blinds solves many window décor problems. Curtains, drapes, tulle, whatever fabric they are made from, require frequent washing, as dust and dirt accumulate on them. The density of the curtains determines how well they transmit or block light.
Blinds are much more comfortable than curtains in many ways.
Depending on the angle at which the lamellas are located, they completely open the access of natural light to the room, partially block it, gently scatter or completely isolate the room not only from light, but also from thermal radiation. They do not require special care, and it will not be difficult to install the blinds on your own.
A light-shielding structure with a horizontal arrangement of lamellas, which has become familiar, almost classical for window decoration.
- Compactness. Installed directly on the window, leaving the sill free. This saves space and allows you to place greenery on the window in favorable conditions for it;
- Low weight of the structure;
- Strength and rigidity of the lamellae, preventing deformation;
- Fire safety;
- Simple control mechanism;
- Special coating or impregnation against dust, dirt, odors and grease;
- Resistance to humidity and temperature extremes;
- Various materials for the manufacture of lamellas: wood, plastic, aluminum, less often fabric;
- Easy installation;
- Affordable price.
Some disadvantages are worth mentioning:
- When fastening to the frame, the angle of inclination of the window folds when opening is limited;
- The lamellas emit a characteristic knock or ringing in the wind. To avoid this, it is necessary to purchase lower fasteners that are not included in the kit and quickly become unusable;
- The structure is subject to repair in case of severe deformation of several lamellas, but it will cost as much as new blinds;
- Not suitable for balconies and loggias with sliding windows.
They differ from horizontal ones:
- More aesthetic appearance. Horizontal blinds are more functional, while vertical ones are decorative;
- The ability to cover a large area with one cornice. Horizontal blinds, as a rule, consist of narrow slats and are intended for minimalistic decoration of small windows. Vertical models come in different widths and easily cover large windows, arches and doorways.
- Variety of materials. They can be made of wood fibers, wood, aluminum, bamboo, plastic, woven and non-woven fabrics, mirror, blackout, thread. The abundance of materials provides another advantage - the variability of colors and textures;
- Modern and original window decoration, opening up more design possibilities;
- Simplicity of control mechanisms. Possible both mechanical and electrical;
- The ability to place photo printing on the "curtains" due to the larger surface and better characteristics of the material;
- Practicality. Larger lamellas are easier to wipe when necessary, which does not occur often. If in the case of severe pollution, for example, in a children's room, the slats still need to be subjected to hygiene procedures, this will not take much time - they can be washed by hand and in a washing machine;
- Possibility of installation on non-standard windows (triangle, trapezoid, arch, bay window);
- The structure is subject to repair. To replace a particular part, you do not need to call a master, it is simple enough to do it yourself.It is possible to replace the lamellas one at a time without having to dismantle the entire structure.
Vertical blinds, as the name implies, are a simple and convenient light-shielding structure consisting of longitudinal vertical plates.
Roller blinds, roller shutters are solid fabrics, usually from textiles, but other materials are also possible, which roll upwards like horizontal blinds. The height can be adjusted by fixing the curtain with a weighting agent on the lower strip of the canvas.
There are different types of roller shutters: with an open drum (for mounting directly on the window) and with a decorative cornice; "Mini" for installation on each frame separately and "roll-cassette" for shading the entire window.
There is an opinion that roller blinds are the most budgetary and practical option for window decoration, but this is not entirely true. Of course roller shutters have their advantages: a variety of natural and synthetic fabrics, colors and patterns, ease of care (wet cleaning is allowed) and operation, the ability to fix the curtain at the desired height, special impregnations against dust, moisture, high temperatures and glare, compatibility with other types of curtains. It is convenient, if necessary, to hide the room from the sun, to decorate the window with beautiful tulle so that you cannot see what is happening inside from the street.
But with so many advantages, they also have significant disadvantages.:
- Budget price - it's a delusion. Yes, by itself, a medium-sized curtain made of common material will be inexpensive, but it will look boring. In order for the window decoration to be complete, it is necessary to think over additional decor, and this significantly increases the cost;
- Roller blinds in the bedroom, study and rooms with high windows require electrical control. Electrically driven structures are expensive, and some manufacturers also produce noise;
- Impossible make a custom-made curtain from a specific textile. You can choose only specific products of a specific brand, since the range of fabrics for the production of roller blinds is very limited: translucent, textured, reflective, perforated, blackout and that's all, perhaps;
- Maximum width roller blinds - 280-300cm, that is, covering a large area with one cornice, for example, a panoramic window or balcony will not work;
- Can problems arise with installation not on the wall, but in the window opening, since the reel is wider in width than the curtain itself. There will inevitably be gaps on the sides of the window openings. Ceiling or wall mount preferred.
This type of blinds is similar to both horizontal and roller blinds. The design consists of a control mechanism (chain or electric drive), weighting materials, pleated fabric that resembles accordion fur.
The assortment of materials, colors and textures is very diverse.
- They close from top to bottom, like classic canvases, from bottom to top or from both sides at the same time. In this case, the degree of density of the "accordion" can be adjusted, thus closing either the upper, or the lower, or the central part of the window;
- Suitable for curtains of irregularly shaped windows;
- The optimal solution for roof, attic, ceiling and sloped windows;
- "Opening", the canvas is compactly gathered into a fold and hides inside the cornice;
- Convenient for installation on all types of windows;
- Various mounting methods and control mechanisms (manual and electric);
- Woven fabric is washable;
- The curtain fabric can be made of two types of fabric at the same time, which makes it possible to adjust the degree of transparency, darkening, sun protection;
- Easy installation can be done by hand.
Classic. In appearance, they are most similar to horizontal blinds, but they can also be vertical.Made from fabric, paper or plastic. Designed for darkening the room, protecting it from heating by the sun's rays, and zoning the interior space of the room
Corrugated. This type is vertical and horizontal double pleating. As a result, folds appear smoother, tighter, and tighter. Corrugation made of plastic and paper in this design absorbs a significant part of the heat and protects against bright light
Inclined. A variety of pleats especially for windows that are angled in the attic or ceiling. Their peculiarity is in a specific assembly system, which does not allow a canvas made of any material to sag, being at an angle. Mostly inclined models are available with electronic control
Arched. The most flexible canvases that take any shape, like a paper fan. A good solution for rooms with non-standard windows (arches, trapezoids, triangles, beveled windows)
"Day Night". The fabric of such blinds consists of two layers of fabric: a lightweight fabric that transmits a large amount of light for daytime use and a dense, dark fabric to protect from the bright sun during the day and prying eyes in the evening
Such systems involve either the use of horizontal slats or a solid canvas, but they are not horizontal blinds or roller blinds. They differ in the types of cassettes (angular, round, flat), controls (various types of mechanical and remote), used materials (plastic, textiles, bamboo, aluminum).
Their main feature lies in the design, the special structure of which makes it possible to fix the blinds at a minimum distance from the window glass. This prevents deformation, sagging, the appearance of folds and unevenness, completely opens the window sill.
- Compactness. Cassette blinds take up a minimum of space, leaving the owners the opportunity to show their imagination and organize additional window decor or leave the window sill with a functional surface;
- Simple and straightforward control type;
- Long service life. Special impregnation protects the canvases from dust, grease, dirt, moisture, abrasion;
- Ease of hygiene procedures. Cassette systems require little maintenance. It is enough to wipe their small surface with a damp sponge and soapy water every few months;
- A variety of designs for an interior in any style;
- The tight fit of the canvas to the glass surface protects equally well from heat and cold;
- The ability to mount the system yourself;
- A variety of materials - from light window decoration to total blackout protection;
- The ability to combine blinds with curtains, tulle, lambrequin.
There are three types of blinds fastening: to the wall, to the ceiling, directly to the frame, and two ways - with and without drilling.
The universal basis of any fastening is a cornice, which is attached in various ways to a wall, frame or ceiling.
It is carried out using self-tapping screws, brackets on which the cornice is installed, fishing lines. Additionally, you will need a pencil, ruler, drill, screwdriver.
First you need to make a markup in those places where the brackets will be located.
For reliability and accuracy in the marked places, it is necessary to drill holes for the clips. Then, applying the brackets in turn to the PVC frame, fix them on the markings with a screwdriver. Next, the cornice is installed and the whole structure is assembled.
If in the future it is planned to replace blinds or other window decoration options, it is not recommended to damage the plastic windows. The holes from the self-tapping screws will remain in the frame forever and significantly spoil the appearance of the windows. In this case, it is easier to turn to a method that does not require drilling.
In this case, the brackets are attached in two ways:
- for the upper part of the PVC profile on the opening sashes (you can simply hang it like a hook);
- on double-sided tape, which can be glued without fear of leaving traces.
Mounting blinds on the balcony requires a special approach. The balcony structure plays an important role here. The type of glazing determines the choice of certain blinds and the method of their attachment. In general, almost all options are available for balconies. In this case, special attention should be paid to the type of blinds, since not all of them are universal for different types of windows. For example, horizontal blinds are not suitable for a balcony with sliding windows, as they can deform during operation or from strong winds.
Measurements and markings
The final result depends on how correctly the measurements are made.
Even expensive beautiful models will not look good on the window if there are gaps in the opening or the edges of the lamellas will constantly bulge against the wall.
It is important to pay attention to the following points:
- For the most accurate indicators, a steel tape is used;
- It is impossible to round off the figures obtained, the accuracy must be observed to the millimeters;
- When ordering blinds, the width parameter is specified first, length - the second;
- Not a single window opening has absolutely perfect geometric shapes, therefore, measurements upward and in breadth must be made at least at two points.
If you plan to attach blinds to the movable half of the window, you will need to measure the gap between the glazing beads and add from 30 mm, which will prevent gaps in the structure. The height of the blinds is equal to the height of the window sash.
For installation inside the window opening, measurements at three points in height and width are required, since the openings are not always absolutely proportional.
The width is identical to the wide side of the glass plus the thickness of the rubber seal. The length is identical to the height of the window (including elastic bands) and a margin of 1cm. To install the cornice, an additional 30-40 cm will be required before the slopes and loops. Control chain - 2/3 of the window height.
When choosing to fix the curtain rod to the wall, the width parameter increases by 10 cm, the height is measured arbitrarily from the attachment point of the brackets to the floor.
When installing in the armhole of the window, you need to determine the width at the top of the arch and subtract 20 mm. To determine the height, compare the height of the left and right sides of the arch, subtract 1 cm from the smaller value.
For wall mounting, at least 10 cm must be added to the wide side of the slope.The length of the lamellas can be any, but it is recommended to retreat 2 cm from the edge of the blinds to the floor.
Ceiling mounting means determining the height (to the floor or window sill) minus 2 cm, it is recommended to increase the width of the arch by 100+ mm.
To mount the canvases to the wall, only one measurement is required - from the edge of the window sill to the markings for the brackets, and the width can be up to 300 cm.
In the arch of the window, roller blinds are mounted after measuring the width, from which you need to subtract 4 centimeters, and the length of the canvas is equal to the height of the window minus 15 mm.
Pleated blinds likewise do not require a professional approach in taking measurements and installation.
Installation of vertical models
Vertical blinds are the most convenient way to decorate a window for self-execution. They are attached in three ways: to the ceiling, to the drilled frame, to the frame without drilling.
In all cases, the fastener is a cornice with or without a decorative facade.
The brackets on which the structure is held are fastened with self-tapping screws, hung or glued to double-sided tape. Special adhesive tape, despite its seeming impracticality, is fixed very firmly, therefore it is important to correctly apply the markings for installing the brackets. After they are glued, it will be very difficult to move them.
Installation procedure for vertical blinds:
- Preparation of tools.You will need a stepladder, a set of self-tapping screws from the kit, a building level and drawing accessories, a drill, a screwdriver.
- Pencil markings for mounting brackets. To securely fix the fasteners, it is recommended to drill holes for self-tapping screws at the same stage.
- Attach brackets in a suitable way (with or without drilling).
- Installation of the cornice.
- Installation of slats. To do this, you need to pull the control cord, on which the lamella mounts are located, so that they fit into the desired position. Then fix all the lamellas on the hooks of the fasteners.
Installation of horizontal
For installation, you will need a set of tools: a drill, a cross-section screwdriver, a screwdriver, drawing accessories.
The instruction for installing horizontal blinds on windows contains a list of items that is performed step by step:
- Draw a marking line for installing the brackets. It must take into account the distance between the clamps and the control mechanism, between the brackets (from 60 cm) and to the outer areas on the louver strip (25 cm). If the blinds are wide and are heavy, it is recommended to use intermediate fixings.
- Drill holes on the surface to which you plan to attach the brackets to install the dowels. It is possible to use blinds on plastic windows without drilling.
- Profile installation.
- Fixing the upper louver bar on the brackets. It is important to remember that the blinds are already assembled at this stage.
Working with horizontal models on inclined surfaces requires a little more effort and dexterity.
How to hang roller blinds?
Like other types, roller blinds or roller shutters are attached in several ways: they can be hung, glued, attached to the frame.
The first way - the simplest and most affordable for do-it-yourself installation is a fastening without drilling based on double-sided adhesive tape. Suitable for tilt and turn mechanisms on windows. Performed step by step:
- Degrease areas of the frame and fasteners that will be connected with adhesive tape.
- Roller shutter mounting marking.
- Installation of roller blinds. The chain mechanism can be installed from any convenient side.
- Assembling the brackets.
- Bracket attachment markings. To do this, you need to install them on the assembled roller blind, install them on the window without fastening, mark the places for the adhesive tape with a pencil, remove the curtain.
- Application of adhesive tape to the rear surface of the brackets, installation on the window.
- Installing the guide string against sagging. It is attached to the "ear" of the upper bracket and curtain weighting compound, at the bottom it is fixed in the tensioner, which is installed on the frame.
The second method involves fastening to a stationary frame (not opening):
- Firstly you need to mount the roller blind, assemble the brackets and install them on the reel. Then this structure must be fixed on the window in order to mark for fastening.
- Second step - fastening the brackets to the adhesive tape at the top of the frame and the string tensioner at the bottom. It is not necessary to pre-attach them with tape, but it is advisable to eliminate problems with subsequent drilling of holes for screws. After installing the guide string, the curtain itself is mounted into the mechanisms.
How to fix cassette tape?
You can install cassette blinds on your own. Before installation, you must read the instructions, make sure that the complete set is complete, prepare all the necessary tools: a screwdriver, drawing tools, screwdriver, drill, cotton pads or a small piece of cloth, degreaser.
When everything you need is collected, you can proceed to the first stage - degreasing the glazing beads. Then you need to remove the side covers of the box, lift it to the top of the frame, focusing on the guide projections, drill holes for the fasteners, fix with screws.You can use a screwdriver for this purpose, or you can perform the process manually with a Phillips screwdriver.
When the box is installed, you need to fix the covers on the sides. After that, you can glue the guide strips to the degreased frame. The guides should be several centimeters below the corner of the glazing bead.
Installation work on window decoration requires certain skills and experience, but if you want to try it yourself, you need to take into account some of the nuances and features in this work.
The installation of blinds begins long before the preparation of the work surface and the set of tools.
The first step in this process - a balanced decision about the type and variety of blinds, material, color and texture, depending on the functionality of the room. So, it is more advisable to choose vertical blinds for the living room that let in light, for the bedroom automatic electric roller blinds made of blackout fabric, and for the kitchen, where cooking smells and food combustion products constantly soar, plastic blinds that do not absorb grease and dirt.
The second important point Is the correct markup. A lot depends on it, including how easy the installation process will be. If all the features of the architecture of window openings are taken into account by specialists when ordering blinds from them, everything will go smoothly and easily without the help of professional installers.
It is also important to consider whether it will be possible to open the window after installation, how the light protection devices will work, whether there is a risk of their deformation
The installation of blinds must be carried out exactly with markings and subsequent verification of the functionality of the structure. The most important point here is the choice between fastening - with or without drilling.
It is also necessary to provide for the type of control. For low windows, one of the types of mechanical direction is an excellent solution. Magnetic, automatic (electric) control with an electric drive is suitable for dormer and sloped windows, windows in the bedroom.
Experts in the field of renovation and design agree that vertical blinds are a beautiful, original and convenient solution for decorating windows with curtains. The owners note their functionality in several directions at once: aesthetic qualities and a style-forming element of the room, practicality and ease of use, saving time for cleaning.
Among all the variety of models, horizontal blinds have earned positive reviews for the minimalistic addition of strict interiors, while vertical ones are recognized as the best option for decorating living space. But rolls are valued for the ability to economically arrange a window or use them as a base for complex interior solutions. Pleated blinds are indispensable for attic windows, skylights and openings of non-standard shapes.
For how the various blinds look on the windows, see the next video.