A window in a room is definitely an indispensable attribute of any room, be it a bedroom, living room or kitchen. But sometimes the light emitted by it interferes with falling asleep or is simply annoying. Then Blackout blinds come to the rescue - a modern and stylish analogue of classic curtains, which almost completely blocks out the light and provides quality relaxation even on a sunny day.
What it is?
Blackout blinds are made of three-layer non-woven fabric. The first, outer layer is usually white or as close as possible to it: it reflects sunlight and does not allow it to penetrate into the depths of the room. The second layer, on the other hand, is darker in color and denser in texture. It traps heat and diffuses leaked light. The last, third layer is decorative. This is the front side of the blinds that we see when we are in the room.
Features of the
There is not much to say about blackout curtains: everyone who cannot fall asleep from the light of street lamps or whose rest falls on the daytime dreams of them. Blackout blinds have a lot of pros and very little cons:
- They do not let in sunlight when closed, even on the clearest and sunniest day;
- They do not let in the heat from the sun, which is especially important when placing the bed on the sunny side of the house
- Additionally, they isolate noise, so you can safely open the window and enjoy sleeping in the fresh air;
- The durability of modern curtains is determined by the synthetic material from which they are made;
- Such curtains are environmentally friendly: they have no foreign smell and do not emit various kinds of harmful fumes into the air, so they can be safely hung on the window near the children's bed;
- Practicality and durability are also a huge advantage of blinds that do not tear (like paper ones) and do not fade in the sun (like woven ones);
- They are easy to care for - just wipe them with a damp sponge or walk over them with a vacuum cleaner;
- A wide range of shades allows you to find the golden mean that fits perfectly into the image of the room, be it Classic, Modern, Loft, Provence or Scandinavian style;
- Easy installation: it takes 10 minutes of free time and instructions to hang the blinds;
- The flame retardant material of the louver does not burn. When hit by fire, it begins to melt and soon dies out.
Still, Blackout blinds are the best solution for a modern bedroom. And not necessarily its interior should be imposing and trendy. Such curtains are also suitable for classic bedroom decoration with massive wooden furniture and even lambrequins, and hide too simple curtains.
If we talk about the disadvantages of blinds with a "night" effect, then you can think of an unaffordable price. But it is not always the case. Firstly, everyone has different price expectations, and secondly, you can choose more affordable models, or vice versa, choose more expensive ones. Experts call firms from Germany, Belgium, Holland and Finland the best manufacturers, where the idea of creating Blackout blinds was born.
All Blackout blinds are available exclusively in roll format. The fact is that the usual lamella blinds let in light and are not able to rid the room of sunlight so effectively. Light-carrying models can be made of polyester, cotton with impurities, fiberglass, nylon. Their design can be:
- Open, when the curtains roll up into a neat roll over the window opening;
- Closed, when the blinds "hide" in the box above the window.This box can become an excellent decorative element of a bedroom or living room, and on the contrary, hide as much as possible and be in tune with the window / walls
Where to install?
Blinds Blackout are suitable for absolutely any room:
- Living room;
- Bathroom with a window;
- Auditorium at the University;
- An office in the clinic and any other room.
The exterior design is determined by taking into account the style of the room, but most buyers prefer light-colored monochromatic blinds with a "night" function.
How to install?
The design of roller blinds is suitable for all sizes of windows and their construction: plastic, metal-plastic, wooden, high or low. Vertical blinds are installed on the glazing bead or attached directly to the window frame. The blade is already sold complete with a metal tube and fasteners, a line with guides and installation instructions. The only thing that may be required additionally is a drill or hammer drill to drill a hole in the opening.
How to choose?
A large selection can confuse a potential buyer, but a simple algorithm will help you choose a worthy canvas:
- Determine the density of the material. The denser it is, the better it will trap sunlight. For the southern bedroom, choose a thick fabric; for the northern one, you can take a lighter material. Lightweight fabric curtains do not block light by almost 100%, but even they "work" in a room on the north side of the room;
- The color and pattern on the canvas should match the style of the room. So, in the nursery, a print with balloons will be appropriate, and for an adult classic bedroom, a single-color version is suitable;
- Spraying. Japanese manufacturers are famous for their outdoor metallized coating, which reflects up to 90% of sunlight. For the bathroom, it is better to choose blinds with vinyl, which repels moisture;
- The guides allow you to tightly close the window. They are located almost along the entire perimeter of the window (with the letter P) and do not give gaps on the sides.
- Manufacturers. The concept of "Blackout blinds" was introduced into fashion by the Finns - it was they who invented the material for opaque curtains, so it is better to give preference to them or choose any other European manufacturer, after having read reviews about the quality of its products.
Place in the interior
Blackout blinds look especially stylish in the interior. It is wrong to think that they look ridiculous in the decoration of a spacious bedroom or living room, on the contrary, such curtains will create an excellent background for its decor.
In a snow-white or light living room, contrasting roller blinds act as a bright accent. Purple looks especially good against white walls. A bright shade is supported by the decor of the room - a floor lamp in the corner, a couple of candles and a vase of flowers.
Rolled curtains can be combined with classic long ones. Firstly, it's practical: Blackout blinds block out light when closed, and familiar curtains add aesthetics and homeliness to the living room. Secondly, the trend in interior design is still layering.
Customers are 100% satisfied with their choice of Blackout roller blinds. They note that such curtains look stylish and laconic, they transform the room and visually increase its space due to the absence of too much fabric. Secondly, they are easy to care for - they do not need to be washed and ironed, hung up, and it is convenient to wash windows with them. The only thing that potential buyers do not like is the need for installation directly into the window frame.
What is the difference between Blackout blinds and conventional fabric options? The answer is in the next video.