Mesh curtains are so unusual that they can decorate any room. They got such an interesting name due to their similarity with a fishing net for fishing. In modern stores, a huge assortment of mesh curtains is presented, which differ from each other in size, weaving method, material of manufacture and design.
Advantages and disadvantages
The mesh is a practical and functional product, distinguished by its simplicity and airiness. As a rule, mesh curtains are needed to complement the curtains to make an unusual window decor. The role of the grid in the background is important in a bedroom or living room, because there it is simply necessary to darken the room from time to time. But in some cases, the material is used as an independent curtain, which does not interfere with the ingress of light into the room and makes it more spacious.
The main advantage of the material lies in its ability to maintain its original shape and not succumb to mechanical damage. Even with raw edges, the mesh will not crumble.
The mesh curtain is easy to work with - it can be cut, glued and sewn. And with all these manipulations, the fabric will not lose its aesthetic appearance. Net curtains are very lightweight, so they can be hung on any curtain rod. But it was not without its drawbacks - a mesh with small loops is capable of collecting dust too quickly, which negatively affects people's health. Therefore, it will have to be washed frequently.
Varieties of models
Mesh curtains are presented in several types, and each of them has its own characteristics:
- French network is a knitting of columns by means of a hook, which allows you to get air cells. The mesh can be either coarse or fine, and it can also have a smooth or convex surface.
- It is considered beautiful model with embroidery, when a filigree ornament is applied to the surface of the material.
- Visibly stands out from others model with rectangular hinges. Its weaving is carried out with laces or thick threads, which helps to obtain a voluminous and embossed structure. Small and thin loops form a so-called microgrid.
- Turkish curtain looks like a microgrid on the surface of which a pattern is applied. It is known as the "spider web" among buyers for its small and fine threads.
The type of thread also affects the variety of patterns. They can be shiny, fluffy, bouclé, hard and soft in texture.
Mesh curtains can be painted in absolutely any color, be it red, blue, black, purple, green and other colors and their shades. Textile factories are interested in selling their products, so the mesh can have different designs:
- The most relevant today is the white curtain, which is able to decorate any interior. This color is good because it can visually enlarge the space and brighten the room. And in combination with various decorations, it can make even the most calm and peaceful place rainbow colored.
- Brown mesh usually used in a classic or rustic style to create a calm and cozy environment. And in combination with other colors, it can create a unique design.
Shades of beige are very popular, since it is universal and has a good effect on the psychological state of a person.
Mesh curtains are increasingly used as an independent design of a window opening. They can be monochromatic, or they can have unusual embroidery that looks good in a single presentation. For example, in a room with a small or narrow window, a French mesh will look very useful.
Mesh curtains perfectly complement the décor, allowing sunlight to enter the interior of the room. When choosing them, you need to take into account the color of the main curtains and the general style of the room. It is important that the color of the curtain is one or two shades darker so that the mesh looks good against its background.
The fashion trend of recent years suggests hanging mesh curtains in the foreground, and placing heavy curtains in the background. You just need to choose the right shades of both materials so that they look harmonious with each other.
Turkish and French mesh does not need to be combined with other fabrics, as it looks luxurious by itself.
If you want to hang the curtain in such a way that beautiful and uniform folds are formed on it, you need to choose curtains with a fine knit and without a pattern. Folds will hide the image or embroidery, which can ruin the overall appearance of the product.
A large mesh in the floor, fixed on an iron cornice with a pattern, will fit well into the living room. But for the kitchen, it is best to choose a short curtain up to the windowsill, which will show a thematic drawing.
In order not to carry out wet cleaning and washing of curtains so often, it is better to purchase a mesh with large cells. It collects less dust, which means that it does not have such a detrimental effect on the health of residents.
How to hang correctly?
To look beautiful in any interior, mesh curtains must hang properly. Therefore, different grids should be selected for each room:
- Looks impressive large fluffy net against the background of dense curtains, which are designed to darken the room at certain times. The net itself can consist of two canvases, fastened on the sides with laces or ribbons.
- In the warm season, it is more correct to arrange a window a curtain of fine threads, which will serve as an additional light source. But in winter it can be combined with a denser curtain fabric.
- To add originality to the room will help multicolored mesh curtains, hanged in several layers. For this purpose, you can use various decorations, hooks and accessories.
It will be inappropriate to hang a long curtain in the kitchen, since this will get very dirty.
Mesh curtains do not need any special care, which makes them especially in demand for window decoration. The large mesh is less prone to contamination than the micro mesh, so it can be washed every few months.
The microgrid should be cleaned more often so that the collected dust does not interfere with the residents' breathing. In an apartment with small children or playful pets, it is better not to hang the net, since careless manipulations can break it.
Application in interior design
Here's what the designers have to offer:
- Mesh curtains are most often used in the interior of the kitchen, because it should always be well lit. But in other rooms, the grid can find its place. For example, in a children's room, it will help to achieve a feeling of airiness and lightness. And in a small apartment, it will give the impression of additional square meters.
- To create a calm and comfortable interior you need to use a plain mesh curtain in combination with thick velvet or silk curtains. The curtains themselves can be decorated with patterns, or they can be plain canvases.
- To make a quiet room unusual, you will need to hang the net in strips. They can be straightened, or they can be fixed with decorative grabs.
- Mesh curtains do not need to be hung on the windows, they also look good on doorways.Many people prefer this design option, replacing standard interior doors with them.
- In the bedroom mesh curtains must be in the background, closed in the dark with thick curtains. The bedroom is considered an intimate place, in which it is simply necessary to create twilight.
- In a modern interior curtains can be decorated with beads or sequins, or they can be rainbow colored. In the Art Nouveau style, curtains can be decorated in the most unusual way that the owner can think of. But the Classic does not tolerate experimentation, so it is better to use pure white curtains.
For even more interesting interior ideas using mesh curtains, see the next video.