Roller blinds, which have become part of modern life, are easy to care for and use. But, despite their excellent characteristics, they also need cleaning, and especially wet cleaning.
Can I wet it?
The owners of such fabric blinds are well aware that the fabric from which they are made has a special impregnation. It is she who protects the roller blinds from a variety of dirt and dust. But no matter how high-quality such impregnation is, sooner or later the curtains have to be cleaned and it is not always possible to cope with dirt with the help of dry cleaning. And most people in such a situation are wondering whether it is possible to wash the blinds on their own and how best to do it. Let's take a look at this.
Hand wash the roller blind is acceptable. True, it is recommended to produce it no more than once every six months. In addition, it can be carried out even after it has not been possible to get rid of the existing dirt with the help of dry cleaning.
Hand washing fabric blinds at home comes in two flavors: general wash and specific stain removal.
In the first case, the entire fabric is subject to washing. The process itself consists of the following stages:
- Removing blinds from windows.
- Then it is necessary to place the curtain in the bathtub in such a way that it does not wrinkle or bend.
- In a separate bowl, add a small amount of detergent to warm water.
- Using a sponge, the resulting liquid is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the roller blind.
- The product should be cleaned with smooth and gentle movements so as not to damage the fabric itself and its impregnation.
- The blinds are thoroughly rinsed under running water from the shower until the foam completely disappears. It is necessary to rinse the product especially thoroughly. Otherwise, ugly stains may remain on the curtains.
- Now the blinds should be thoroughly dried. You cannot squeeze them with your hands. For drying, the product is laid out on a flat surface, leveled with hands and left for several hours.
- Then the curtains are turned over to the other side, re-leveled and left to dry completely.
- The roller blind can now be hung in place.
When manually washing the curtains in this way, preference should be given to detergents that have a neutral acidity level. It is he who will allow to keep the dirt-repellent impregnation of the product intact. It is better to use a regular soft sponge for cleaning. The water temperature should be no higher than 37 degrees.
Here it is worth paying attention to what kind of material the fabric blinds are made of. Each fabric must be cleaned and dried in a specific way. As a rule, manufacturers of such products place detailed information on wet washing in the instructions or equip the blinds themselves with special icons. These materials should be carefully studied in each specific case, because the sequence of actions may be slightly different. Some fabrics are also not allowed to be washed at all.
If washing by hand is carried out in order to get rid of stains, then the algorithm of actions will be as follows:
- Remove the roller blind from the window and lay it out on a flat surface.
- Apply a small amount of natural stain remover to a soft sponge.
- Spread the mixture on the spot with light patting movements with a sponge and leave for the time indicated by the manufacturer.
- After the indicated time, lightly wipe the stain with a sponge dipped again in the stain remover.
- Use wet wipes or just water to remove the cleaning agent from the curtain.
- Next, you need to leave it until it dries completely.
By and large, there is nothing difficult in hand washing roller blinds. In practice, this type of cleaning takes less than one hour.
In the washing machine
Many people think that hand washing roller blinds is a troublesome business and therefore they are interested in how they can be washed in a washing machine. Until recently, it was believed that washing such a product with water and detergents was possible only with your hands. Today the situation has changed a bit.
The availability of wet cleaning of such a product in a washing machine directly depends on the material of its manufacture.
Some fabric blinds are machine washable. In this case, it is necessary to choose the most gentle cleaning agent possible. The washing mode itself should be as delicate as possible. After its completion, the blinds must be laid out on a flat surface and carefully smoothed with your hands.
But before choosing such a wash, it is imperative to study all the recommendations and warnings of the manufacturer. To date, washing roller blinds in a typewriter is possible only in exceptional cases. Most of the models of these products are intended specifically for hand washing.
How to shoot?
But regardless of the type of wash chosen, the first step in the plan of action is to remove the curtains. Depending on their type, this action can be performed in different ways. However, the general sequence of actions is almost the same:
- Removing the roller blind.
- Twisting the canvas into a roll using a chain.
- Removing the bracket itself.
- Removing plugs in its side parts.
- Removing the curtain from the roller blind.
Here it is worth paying attention to the fact that during hand washing, the curtain itself can not be removed from the pipe on which it is wound. If the manufacturer indicates the permissibility of machine washing, then the curtain must be removed without fail.
Mini roller blinds can be removed in the same way if they were attached to the cornice. In the case of attachment to double-sided tape, all that is needed is to detach the tape from the side of the curtain from the tape attached to the frame of the plastic window itself.
There is nothing difficult in the partial dismantling of fabric roller blinds, especially if their installation was carried out independently. In fact, the entire withdrawal procedure takes no more than 10 minutes.
Earlier in the article, it was already said that the washed curtains must be dried on a flat and even surface, carefully smoothing them out with your hands. However, these are not the only subtleties of drying this product.
It is also worth remembering that no additional thermal effect in the form of an iron, hair dryer or heater should be used during drying. Fabric blinds should dry naturally.
During this process, it is necessary to ensure that the direct rays of the bright sun do not fall on the fabric itself. This can lead to deformation of the product or to premature fading of the fabric.
Curtains should be hung on plastic windows after they have completely dried, but on wooden windows it is better still in a slightly under-dried form.
To speed up the drying process, if necessary, you can place a large terry towel or other fabric that absorbs moisture well under the curtain. In this case, it is necessary to ensure that the canvas is in a perfectly flat condition. Otherwise, roller blinds with folds will hang on the windows.
What shouldn't be done?
Now that you know how to properly wash roller blinds, it's time to talk about what absolutely should not be done during this process:
- First of all, you should remember about the water temperature. It should not be too hot, as this contributes to deformation of the fabric, as well as thinning of the dirt-repellent impregnation. In cold water, detergents dissolve extremely poorly. It is important here to find a middle ground and fully follow the manufacturer's advice on the temperature regime of washing and drying.
- Wet cleaning by hand is preferred. If the manufacturer has not indicated the permissibility of using the washing machine in caring for the product, then it is absolutely impossible to wash the curtains in it. Otherwise, instead of beautiful fabric roller blinds, you will get a lump of shapeless fabric with many folds.
- Do not dry or wash the product on an uneven surface, this will lead to deformation of the canvas itself, and in the future it will simply be impossible to remove the folds. Nor can you use an iron for ironing roller curtains. The fabric will be damaged, and you can forget about the presence of a special impregnation.
- It is also worth remembering that even if fabric roller blinds can be machine washed, you cannot use it for drying or even light ironing of this product.
Using these functions will lead to an instant deterioration in the appearance of the curtain, as well as to a significant deformation of the canvas itself.
For washing, you can use only safe cleaning agents with a neutral acid-base balance. It is impossible to use any aggressive products, again due to the loss of the shape and color of the product
Keeping all these prohibitions in mind, you can easily keep your favorite roller blinds in perfect shape for a long time.
If roller blinds are regularly maintained with dry cleaning, they should be washed approximately every six months. If you suddenly doubt the possibility of using detergents for washing them, or if you have curtains that cannot be washed, they must be dry-cleaned every six months.
Many people rightly believe that it is better to use the manual washing option, even for those curtains that can be machine washed. It is easier for a person to control the strength of the impact on the fabric, and in any case, even the most delicate washing in a machine cannot be compared with gentle manual cleaning.
Before washing, it is imperative that you familiarize yourself with the manufacturer's recommendations for temperature conditions, the possibility of using cleaning agents, as well as the frequency of washing. Knowing this information will avoid many problems in the future.
Feedback from the owners of such roller blinds also confirms that compliance with the washing rules, as well as knowledge of information about what not to do, greatly facilitate the care of such blinds and speed up the washing process itself.
If you follow all the tips and recommendations, you can be absolutely sure that your roller blinds will not only always be clean, but will also serve you for a very long time.
For information on how to choose roller blinds, see the next video.