Horizontal blinds take a solid position among the favorite ways of decorating window space. You can choose a model for any interior, located both outside the window and inside the room. Horizontal blinds are the best way to decorate windows on a loggia, terrace, in a gazebo.
The design of horizontal blinds is quite simple. It represents horizontal lamellas, which are fastened on the sides by a guide. The control mechanism can be manual or electronic, depending on the needs of the buyer. This device is used everywhere. Horizontal blinds are designed for decorating a nursery, a kitchen, a bedroom, and even a bathroom. The principle of operation is based on raising or lowering the lamella sheet, as well as their unfolding. The amplitude is 180 degrees.
Blinds can be mounted on a wall, in a window opening or directly on a sash. Due to the fact that they do not sag, such models are the only way to frame skylights. There is a large selection of materials on the market, on which the light transmittance of such curtains depends. Various colors and textures of the lamellas are also available.
Features and Benefits
Horizontal blinds differ in many ways from classic curtains, panel curtains or even their vertical "counterparts".
The advantages of horizontal structures include the following:
- A rich selection of materials presentedfrom which blinds can be made.
- They don't take up much space, which is especially important for small rooms.
- Horizontal roller shutters can be installed both outdoors and indoors.
- Suitable for decoration sloped and skylight windows.
- Good sun protection; some materials allow you to hide the room from sunlight almost completely.
- Wide price range.
- Horizontal blinds can be fixed both wooden and plastic windows.
- Horizontal roller blinds are easy to care for, and you can repair them yourself.
- Mechanisms to choose from fixings and methods of blinds control.
Often, disadvantages are also highlighted. One of them is that structures are easy enough to break or deform, especially if there are children or pets at home. Also, for some, the disadvantage is too modern design; it is quite difficult to find the right model for a traditional old style, for example, Baroque.
There are several types of horizontal blinds: classic, pleated, roller, dormer, interframe, Roman blinds, electric blinds, protective.
Each of these types has its own distinctive features and characteristics:
- Conventional horizontal blinds are placed both inside the room and outside. They can be mounted on walls, window openings or sashes.
- Pleated from a distance can be mistaken for blinds with lamellas, but they are a fabric or paper canvas folded with an accordion. They are for the lower cornice with the function of opening only from the bottom up, and there are also those that can be opened simultaneously from both ends.
- Dormers are mounted on sloped attic windowsas well as for ceiling window structures.
- Interframe are installed between the frames of one double-glazed window provided that it is possible. Most often they are installed on wooden frames, but recently this type is not uncommon for plastic windows. As a rule, they are supplied immediately with a glass unit.
- Roman blinds are like pleats with wide pleats, however, they are soft and gather at one end only, while the pleated pleats are folded over the entire length at the same time.
- Blinds supplemented with an electric drive are not manually operated, but with the help of a special control panel. Attic structures are often equipped with such a system.
- Protective blinds, or roller shutters, are installed outside the house. They can protect both windows and doors.
Horizontal blinds are made from a wide variety of materials. The most traditional of these is the fabric. Pleated, rolled and Roman models are made of fabric treated with a special compound. The material is chosen rather dense for good protection from the sun. Thanks to the impregnation, it does not accumulate odors and repels dust and dirt. Pleated paper blinds are popular due to their low cost and the ability to add them to any windows. Since the material is nothing special, you can make paper blinds yourself.
Plastic - a common option for louvres with lamellas. PVC-based blinds are easy to use, and the choice of different textures and colors is simply amazing. But there are also disadvantages: plastic blinds deform under their own weight, so they do not differ in durability. The low price allows you to regularly replace plastic structures with new ones. Plastic models are quite heavy, this should be taken into account when choosing a mount.
Aluminum is also popular because of its functionality. You can choose designs with narrow lamellas, or you can choose with wide ones. Aluminum models can be installed outside the window without the fear that the lamellas will bend or deform. Durability and strength are the distinctive features of this material. It is presented in a wide range of colors. It is possible to order aluminum blinds with a metal or matt finish, as well as finished in wood. The material is light enough and easy to care for, but it heats up from the sun and can greatly affect the temperature in the room on summer days.
Wooden Venetian blinds - the most elite type of all presented. The lamellas are made of expensive wood species and look majestic and at the same time environmentally friendly in the interior. Wood is a rather “capricious” material and requires special handling. Wet cleaning is contraindicated for him, it is only possible to wipe the lamellas with a special wood cleaner. It is much easier to care for bamboo blinds, which act as an inexpensive analogue of wooden ones. They look no worse, while less whimsical and demanding, withstand various temperature changes and can even be installed in the kitchen.
Horizontal blinds can be either monochromatic or multi-colored or patterned. Monochromatic models are universal, colored ones are installed mainly in children's rooms. The most popular are the following shades.
When choosing multi-colored models for living rooms, they usually stop at a combination of white and bright colors, for example, white and blue or white and green. Rainbow blinds are also not uncommon. The alternation of lamellas of all seven colors will give a festive and light atmosphere to the atmosphere, and the refraction of light will create an interesting lighting of the room.
It is customary to choose abstract drawings on blinds, in a similar color scheme. Looks beautiful when the main canvas is a light shade, and the pattern is dark. For example, an abstract rare floral pattern of burgundy color looks great on an ash pink background. Samples with a photo print are also gaining popularity. Most often, such a solution is chosen for "plisse" blinds. You can place your own image on the curtains. This option is perfect for a nursery or bedroom. The kid will be delighted with images of his favorite cartoon characters. Large flowers on the blinds will perfectly complement the interior of the bedroom.
Horizontal blinds can vary both in length and width. The width is selected depending on the attachment point and is calculated individually for each position. Depending on the chosen width of the curtains, they can have additional thread-holders in the middle of the panel.
For example, blinds for a wide window can be supported with one additional rope, and for a panoramic window, their number reaches five.
The length of the curtains can be adjusted by yourself. It is usually varied by adding or removing lower lamellas. The standard length of horizontal blinds is exactly up to the window sill.
The dimensions of the lamellas themselves also vary in width and thickness:
- At first, this is due to the chosen material: plastic slats are much thicker than aluminum or fabric ones.
- Secondly, the width of the lamellas depends on their style and the features of the window space that they decorate.
Blinds with narrow slats are selected for small or narrow windows. Due to the small size of the planks, the ceiling looks higher and the room as a whole is larger. In addition, such blinds significantly save space, almost completely freeing up the window sill, even if they are fixed directly on the window sashes. Wide slats are made mainly of fabric. As a rule, in this case "pleated" blinds are chosen.
The room, the window of which is complemented by wide-beam blinds, looks more comfortable and fresher, while the window can be the center of the entire interior composition.
It is not so difficult to find spare parts for horizontal blinds. The standard list includes:
- Cloth of lamellas;
- Top bar with side cover;
- Bottom strip with side cover or magnetic retainer for structures on inclined windows;
- Control cord;
- Control knob;
- Dowels and screws.
The choice between the bottom bar and magnets depends on the type of window. For PVC windows mostly attach the magnets with double-sided tape. Lower plank fasteners require drilling. Additional fittings are also offered. The most popular representatives include holders for control knobs and curtain rods. Holders secure the handle securely, keeping pets or children away from play. Thus, the service life of both the control mechanism and the blinds themselves is extended.
The cornice serves as a decorative function, masking the upper fastening bar. Sometimes the choice of such a solution is necessary, especially if only blinds without curtains or lambrequins are used as window decoration. Blinds installed on sloped or skylight windows must be secured with clamps. So they will not sag and spoil the overall appearance of the room.
How to choose?
All measurements are made depending on the type of installation.
- Installation in a window opening: the width of the blinds is 1-2 cm less than the width of the window opening, the length is 1 cm less.
- Wall mounting: the width of the blinds is 2-5 cm more than the window opening, the length is 10 cm more.
Choosing good horizontal blinds is not difficult. First you need to correctly measure your window so that the curtains look beautiful in the future.
Next, decide where the controls will be located - on the right or on the left. Please note that the length of the control handle is usually 2/3 the length of the blinds themselves. Please note that the maximum width of the blinds is 220 cm (if you choose a larger option, you will have to cancel the warranty service). The maximum length is 250 cm with a guarantee or 300 cm without it.
For full-wall panel windows, several roller shutter canvases can be ordered. Firstly, it will make it easier to take care of the window, secondly, it will allow you to better regulate the level of lighting in the room, and thirdly, the use of several curtains is an interesting design solution. If you want to add extravagance to the room, opt for perforated blinds. Due to the large number of small holes in the lamellas, even when closed, they create unusual lighting in the room, at the same time allowing you to observe what is outside the window.
Think about which slats you want to install and from what material. For a small narrow window, choose a model with narrow slats, for a wide one - with wide ones.
Operating tips: step by step guide
Using horizontal blinds is easy and pleasant. But you need to understand how the roller shutter opening / closing mechanism works and how to make minor repairs. It is also important to think about how the blinds will be taken care of. For rooms such as the kitchen, for example, this is a matter of paramount importance.
The cleaning method will differ depending on the material chosen.
- The most common way today is to care with a special brush.… The design of such a device allows dusting from both sides of the lamella at once. Many housewives call this method impractical, since dust later settles on furniture or the same blinds.
- The second method is carried out with a microfiber cloth and window cleaner. It is enough to sprinkle the closed blinds with the product and wipe from top to bottom, and you're done. This method is not suitable for caring for elite wooden models.
- The third method is simple and affordable: just wipe the closed cloth from top to bottom with wet wipes for office equipment. They will not leave streaks and will not damage the lamella coating due to their gentle chemical composition.
- In some cases, the blinds can be washed open in the shower, after removing the lamella sheet from the cornice and freeing it from all plastic elements (plugs and so on). For stubborn dirt, use a soapy solution and a soft non-abrasive sponge, with which you need to lightly rub especially dirty areas. Then the lamellas are dried in a natural way unfolded on a soft cloth. After they are completely dry, they can be hung back, and the plastic parts can be returned to their place.
This method is contraindicated for wooden models.
How to assemble?
The assembly of horizontal blinds is not particularly difficult for people who are more or less familiar with the device. As a rule, the cornice is delivered already assembled. Otherwise, you must use the instructions for assembling the curtain rod specifically for your model, since some of their types are different.
To attach the blinds with a ready-made cornice, follow these steps:
- Attach the brackets to the sash, in a window opening or wall. They can be mounted using drilling or double-sided adhesive tape.
- Fasten the control ropes in special sleeves, thread into the springs and through the cornice.
- Now fix the curtain rod itself to the brackets.
- Pass the rope through special holes in the lamellas.
- Install a second pair of special bushings in the bottom brackets, then fix the second end of the rope in them with a screw.
- Attach the control handle hook on the control mechanism.
- Hang the pen holder next to the blinds at a comfortable height, if available.
As you can see, editing is not as difficult as it seems at first glance. However, horizontal blinds are not cheap, so if you are not confident in your abilities, the best solution would be to contact a professional.
How to open / close correctly?
As mentioned above, the blinds can be controlled using the control panel or manually. Manual control causes a number of difficulties for some people. The system is actually quite simple. To unfold the lamellas, use the control handle. It is turned around its axis, and the lamellas turn with it.
How to lower / raise correctly?
- The length of the web is controlled with a rope.
- To begin with, the rope is released by moving it to the center of the canvas.
- To raise the roller shutter, pull the rope down;
- To lower the blinds, the rope is gently released to release the tension.
- To fix the position of the web, you need to move the rope to the right or to the left, depending on where the control mechanism is located.
- The blinds are raised and lowered with the horizontal position of the slats. It is important to adjust their position before starting to raise or lower the blade.
How to shoot?
To remove the blinds, you need to enlist the help of a second person, since it is quite problematic to remove even a small canvas alone, and even a large one. The mechanisms for attaching the blinds are different, and each of them requires its own method of dismantling.
Swallow type retainer:
- Move aside the front and back panels;
- Remove the bar;
- Unscrew the bolts;
- Remove the structure.
If there are decorative plugs:
- Raise the blinds completely by opening them horizontally;
- Pull out the plugs;
- Pull the tabs of the latches towards you, pulling slightly to the right;
- Simultaneously with the latches, you need to pull the blinds down;
- You can disassemble the structure.
How to reduce the length?
To remove the extra slats, it is enough to release the ropes from the clips at the bottom, disconnect the extra slats and re-fix the blinds at the bottom. Do not rush to throw out the detached strips: you may need them when repairing blinds.
How to repair?
There are several main types of breakdowns. The most common is lamella deformation. In this case, do not try to straighten it, all the same, you will not achieve the original look. Better just replace it with a new one. If the rope breaks, you will have to disconnect the entire structure and attach a new cable to replace the broken one. It is better to buy a spare part at the same time as purchasing a blinds kit.
The most difficult type of breakage occurs inside the eaves. In this case, you need to contact a wizard who will quickly and inexpensively fix the problem. To prevent problems with the mechanism, it is recommended to lubricate it with silicone grease on a regular basis.
Examples in the interior
Horizontal blinds are in demand when decorating a balcony. A wide range of colors allows you to choose not only classic white blinds for the balcony, but also bright ones, as in the photo. When choosing blinds for the kitchen, first of all, you should think about their functionality. Plastic models can be selected for almost any interior, while they look cute and interesting. For example, this kitchen uses wood-like colors.
Horizontal roller shutters in the living room are often combined with classic curtains. In this case, the emphasis is not on the interesting texture or drawing of the blinds, but on their ability to protect the room from sunlight. The color of the lamellas is selected in the same shade as the environment, but one tone darker. Due to this, the window does not merge with the walls. Fabric models are often chosen for the bedroom, also complementing them with classic curtains. Often the choice falls on models with wide lamellas. They protect well from light, at the same time making the room more comfortable. Having chosen the blinds to match the color of the curtains, the designer created a worthy duet for window decoration.
Wooden Venetian blinds give the room a cozy and slightly old-fashioned look. In such a bedroom, the sleeper can completely relax, since the tree has a calming effect. Blinds with fine slats will ensure quality sleep both at night and during the day. Rainbow blinds are a common choice for a nursery. Multi-colored options will create interesting lighting in the room, and it will be interesting for the kid to watch such curtains. It is important to hide the controls to avoid possible breakage or to choose models with a remote control.
For the office, the best choice is just horizontal blinds. They do not distract from what is happening due to their simple design, and also reliably protect the workplace from prying eyes, the monitor from glare, and the general environment from burnout.
Horizontal blinds are popular not only in residential buildings but also in offices. Most users agree that they are stylish, they provide good protection from the sun, but they are not suitable for a nursery, as they make a lot of noise when opening and closing.
Also, for many, a serious disadvantage was that it is difficult to remove and wash them. In some cases, the blinds got dirty quickly, making regular cleaning a necessity. People are advised to pay attention to the quality of products when buying. It is better to buy a model at a higher price once than to regularly change the blinds due to poor quality.
For an overview of horizontal blinds, see the following video.